WCQ 2018: Uzbekistan-Iran(06.10.2016) & Iran-South Korea(11.10..2016) | Updates, Reports

Nov 24, 2002
-There were 7 players 25 years old or younger in today's starting line up, that is promising.
- 5 players against uzbeks and 4 against Korea in starting line up were from Persepolis, Taremi came off the bench today.

Nov 24, 2002
I was thinking the same. This year although Iran is winning it and make it look easy, it is a very difficult year with Uzbeks doing so well. Iran is only 1 point ahead of them with South Korea behind them. Very likely without Queiroz, Iran would have never have a chance of qualifying and could have seen them end up in the fourth place in the group. We are very lucky to have Queiroz.
While i agree with your statement, we are really lucky to be in group A instead of B.

Nov 24, 2002
Azmoun takes the blame on that scoring chance

آزمون: کی***روش حق دارد از من ناراحت باشد
به گزارش "ورزش***سه"، این ملی پوش جوان فوتبال ما که امروز در لحظاتی خوب و در برخی لحظات کم دقت ظاهر شد در این***باره برای خبرنگاران توضیحات جالبی داشت. آزمون در پاسخ به این سوال که چرا کی روش از او ناراحت شده بود گفت: یک صحنه بود که من فکر کردم حریف از من عقب***تر است و من می***خواستم او را به سمت خودم بکشم و بعد به رامین پاس بدهم که بازیکن کره دست من را خواند. به هر حال این چیزها پیش می***آید و آقای کی روش هم حق دارد از من ناراحت باشد ولی مهم این بود که سه امتیاز را گرفتیم.

سردار درباره کلیت بازی ایران هم گفت: بازی بسیار خوبی انجام دادیم و کره جنوبی که تیم قدرتمندی هم بود را شکست دادیم و توانستیم 3 امتیاز بسیار خوب را مقابل کره جنوبی بگیریم که اتفاق بسیار خوبی بود.

زننده گل تیم ملی به کره جنوبی در باره حضور هواداران در استادیوم آزادی و برگزاری مراسم عزاداری هم حرف***های جالبی داشت و گفت: واقعا دست تماشاگران درد نکند و دمشان گرم. من دست همه آنها را می***بوسم که اینطور از ما حمایت کرد
ند

Hooshmand

Elite Member
Oct 12, 2011
UK
بازی ایران - کره جنوبی از زاویه ای متفاوت - مقدماتی جام جهانی 2018

[video=youtube;DaRKIzsyFWM]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DaRKIzsyFWM[/video]

homaie

Elite Member
Mar 1, 2003
NY/NJ in USA
NYTimes Article on game.
By THOMAS ERDBRINKOCT. 11, 2016

Iran Wins a Big Game, but Cheering Is Out of Bounds

TEHRAN — They won the match and mourned.

In a collision of international soccer scheduling and the eve of Ashura, Shiite Islam’s most solemn and sorrowful holiday, Iran played South Korea on Tuesday in a World Cup qualifying match held at Tehran’s 100,000-seat Azadi Stadium.

The Iranians beat the South Koreans 1-0, normally a cause for rapt joy for the home-team crowd. But clerics and state officials had strongly urged the fans to avoid cheering for their players or celebrating the victory, which was deemed an insult to religious values.

In a compromise, the religious authorities said the match could proceed if the stadium were turned into a place of mourning, with black banners commemorating the death of Hussein, a grandson of the Prophet Muhammad, more than 1,300 years ago.

State media told spectators to wear black. Instead of chanting a soccer cheer — “What will Iran do? Destroy them!” — they were urged to shout the mournful cry, “Ya Hossein!,” or “Oh Hussein!” if Iran scored.

Instead of pre-match Islamic pop singers who sing about love and God, two famous religious chanters, Majid Bani-Fatemi and Sadegh Marashi, performed before the crowds. They told the story of the death of Abolfazl, Hussein’s loyal friend who was killed trying to bring water for the children of the small band that accompanied the prophet’s grandson on his final stand against his enemies.

Commemorating the violent death of Hussein in 680, an event that solidified the split between the Shiite and Sunni branches of Islam, is one of the most important religious rites in Iran. Believers organize processions where some whip themselves with chains to the beat of drums. Men and women gather during long nights of religious singing about Hussein’s death, with everybody bursting out in tears.

Soccer, a passion of modern-day Iran, is definitely not part of the tradition.

Angered clerics exhorted the government to cancel the match, warning that instead of lamenting the death of Hussein, people might cheer for their earthly national team.

Ayatollah Mohammad Yazdi, a well-known hard-line cleric, fulminated in a speech that traditional values needed to be protected. “It would be better to cancel the match than to allow such disrespect to happen,” he said, according to the semiofficial Islamic Students’ News Agency.

But cancellation would have almost certainly cost Iran its qualification for the 2018 World Cup in Russia, as the team would have been penalized by FIFA, the international governing body for soccer, for not showing up.

When the players entered the field, some fans started clapping, but were swiftly covered up on television by a banner that seemed to come out of nowhere stating “Ya Hossein” a live broadcast on state television showed.

The big test came early in the match, when Iran scored. There were some cheers, but they were quickly drowned by the religious chanters booming over the stadium loudspeakers: “Oh Hussein, Oh Hussein, God willing we will score two more goals!”

The few South Korean fans in the stadium had been told not to bring any instruments or other noisemakers out of respect for local customs, state media reported. Photographs on the messaging app Telegram showed a dozen fans in a special section of the stadium, looking rather forlorn.

State television’s halftime commentary was replaced by religious chants exalting Hussein and Abolfazl. All commercials were canceled.

When the match concluded, the broadcast wasted no time with the customary commentary and cut going immediately to live coverage of a mournful lamentation in the city of Zanjan.

TeamMeli

Elite Member
Feb 5, 2014
Las Vegas, NV
^^Thanks Homaie wow for once the Jew York Times aka New York Times writer, wrote something intelligent about Iran! For someone who did not watch the game, they have the back story. The only thing

Oct 1, 2004
While i agree with your statement, we are really lucky to be in group A instead of B.
I actually think Group B is made to look more competitive because Japan and Australia are under performing hard.

UAE, Thailand and Iraq are all also much worse than the hype says.
I mean compare the worst teams in Group A to B and to me that tells the story.

Nov 24, 2002
I actually think Group B is made to look more competitive because Japan and Australia are under performing hard.

UAE, Thailand and Iraq are all also much worse than the hype says.
I mean compare the worst teams in Group A to B and to me that tells the story.
Well you can never underestimate the power of Japan and Australia. Plus Saudi are back it seems. Iraq was killed by ref in most of their matches and UAE just had a bad day against Saudi yestsrday

TeamMeli

Elite Member
Feb 5, 2014
Las Vegas, NV
Well you can never underestimate the power of Japan and Australia. Plus Saudi are back it seems. Iraq was killed by ref in most of their matches and UAE just had a bad day against Saudi yestsrday
Spot on, those two teams can turn it on in a second and Saudi are back. I have not watched any of Iraq's game so far the biggest disappointment is UAE in that group. maybe they just had a bad day but they have some L's now they lost 2-0 to Australia as well they are on the outside looking in. 1 will most likely be KSA. Japan and Australia will battle it out for the 2nd spot.

Feb 22, 2005
Dont know if Group B is harder than A. Looking at goal scored against:
Iran 0
Uzbekistan 1
Syria 2
South Korea 5

The way Iran played yesterday was superb and like a European team And yet only 1 point diff with Uzbekistan. Will be a tough game against Syria. The strikers have to take advantage of the opportunities and score unlike yesterday. Ex. yesterday , after playing so well and dominating, one mistake and would have been a tie game.

Nov 24, 2002
Dont know if Group B is harder than A. Looking at goal scored against:
Iran 0
Uzbekistan 1
Syria 2
South Korea 5

The way Iran played yesterday was superb and like a European team And yet only 1 point diff with Uzbekistan. Will be a tough game against Syria. The strikers have to take advantage of the opportunities and score unlike yesterday. Ex. yesterday , after playing so well and dominating, one mistake and would have been a tie game.
One thing for sure, we are wasting too many chances. That is not good.