What do you recommond for a "Virus" detector/ Spyware for a pc..?

Jun 24, 2005
I have a Sony VAIO FS570...What is the best virus detector for my pc? where do I download it from and are there any good ones out there that are free?

Not knowing the best Virus detector, I have paid over $150.00 a year for all different types of pc cleaners and my pc still gives me a hard time from time to time...
My pc is exactly a year old now so I wanted to buy the extended warrenty from Sony just to keep my pc safe...Any recommondation on this issue ?

Thank you...

Jun 24, 2005
Pooya said:
i dont use anything myself, i dont believe in antivirus, but i know panda is really GOOD, why dont u crack it ;)
Really? If you don't use antivirus wouldn't your pc be at risk?

Thanks for the recommendation, I'll look into it;)

anoush

Bench Warmer
Aug 14, 2004
Try not paying for software to begin with, if I truly wanted to keep my computer safe and I paid for the software I used, it would cost me just under $1000 a year to maintain.

But nah kidding, I think the computer illiterate should continue to pay large sums of cash for software so assholes like me can continue to pirate it.

Arian

Elite Member
Oct 28, 2004
Seattle
Pooya said:
i dont use anything myself, i dont believe in antivirus, but i know panda is really GOOD, why dont u crack it ;)
Sophos?

anyways.. I don't leave the anti-virus on all the time.. i normally schedule to run at certain times.. if you run it all the time, it will be a heavy load on ur pc, and will eat up memory...

Sly

Elite Member
Oct 18, 2002

Niloufar

Football Legend
Oct 19, 2002
I usually buy my softwares almost free when I go to Iran.

For Anti-Virus, Norton is great. very reliable and strong.
Ad-Aware and Spybot are two great Free softwares u should dl for spyware.

I also have Webroot which is pretty good for spywares. I bought it when got a spyware and my AdAware wasnt scanning properly. U dont need it unless u have spywares.

Jun 24, 2005
Niloufar said:
I usually buy my softwares almost free when I go to Iran.

For Anti-Virus, Norton is great. very reliable and strong.
Ad-Aware and Spybot are two great Free softwares u should dl for spyware.

I also have Webroot which is pretty good for spywares. I bought it when got a spyware and my AdAware wasnt scanning properly. U dont need it unless u have spywares.
Thank you...My problem is I am not a Computer wiz and I don't know much about good programs.:confused- ..I wished I had the time to take a class and learn more about it...

Thanks..

R.BAGGIO

National Team Player
Oct 19, 2002
Toronto
I think the best cheap protection is what Sly said, ive had it for 2 yrs, no problems so far, not a big memory leak either.

ps. viruses dont just get into your system, usually its a person's own fault, e.g. use firefox or opera instead of Internet Explorer

Jun 24, 2005
R.BAGGIO said:
I think the best cheap protection is what Sly said, ive had it for 2 yrs, no problems so far, not a big memory leak either.

ps. viruses dont just get into your system, usually its a person's own fault, e.g. use firefox or opera instead of Internet Explorer

It's funny you mentioned firefox...I just started using it but, it is very slow sometimes....I am using DSL but firefox is a bit slower than internet explorer

Jun 24, 2005
Sly said:
LOL..I wanted to say exactly what Finally said (both points)! :D

I've been using AVG (it's free) for 2 years now and I haven't had any problems since then.

Also for spyware I use Adaware (also free)!

You can download them at:

AVG: http://free.grisoft.com/doc/5390/lng/us/tpl/v5#avg-free

Adaware: http://www.download.com/Ad-Aware-SE-Personal-Edition/3000-8022_4-10045910.html?part=dl-ad-aware&subj=dl&tag=top5
Thank you Sly jon...I will try AVG since R. Baggio also thinks it's good...

Thank you ...

Sly

Elite Member
Oct 18, 2002
Persian_Beauty said:
Thank you Sly jon...I will try AVG since R. Baggio also thinks it's good...

Thank you ...
No problem...just remember what ever you do, if you already have an antivirus program installed on your computer, do NOT install a new one. Because it will usually mess up your computer. Firstly "uninstall" (not delete) the first antivirus program and then install the new one.

That goes to the spyware programs as well.

Good luck.

Jun 24, 2005
Sly said:
No problem...just remember what ever you do, if you already have an antivirus program installed on your computer, do NOT install a new one. Because it will usually mess up your computer. Firstly "uninstall" (not delete) the first antivirus program and then install the new one.

That goes to the spyware programs as well.

Good luck.
Thank you sly jon...Not knowing how pcs work I must admit, I am pretty amazed at the "language and communication" level used to create these devices....:cool:

I appreciate the advice...I think I must have done something wrong with my lap top that I am not aware of...:drunk:

Thanks again:)