What do you think of the Exclusive Club?

What do you think about the Exclusive Club?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

IranZamin

IPL Player
Feb 17, 2006
The more I think about it, the whole concept is just wrong.

If the goal is to experiment with lack of moderation, then what's the point when the people are voted in by each other and tend to get along with one another?....You don't need much moderation for discussions amongst friends. (With one major exception apparently!)

Ultimately, this is basically a forum for some regulars to hang out and talk. Isn't it much more sensible then to make it accessible to everyone with a certain number of posts, so that other regulars who have been here for years don't feel snubbed?

I'm not even saying this from a personal point of view; I was invited but I declined due to my misgivings about the concept and the fact that a well known troll was already in. But to have some hidden forum for a selected portion of regulars is simply discriminatory.

Oct 18, 2002
Los Angeles, CA USA
I think this subject has been talked about ad nauseam.

The non moderated forum serves many purposes, and I honestly believe it has been a very healthy aspect of the site.

I think that the members that have been involved in it, even the ones that didnt particularly like the concept at first, see its value.

That being said, trust me, the back and forth in that thread makes normal ISP arguments seem like a late night cinemax movie...

IranZamin

IPL Player
Feb 17, 2006
I meant to make this a poll but it didn't work. I'll do that now. Please merge this thread with that one.

khodam

Bench Warmer
Oct 18, 2002
Atlanta
I think this subject has been talked about ad nauseam.

The non moderated forum serves many purposes, and I honestly believe it has been a very healthy aspect of the site.

I think that the members that have been involved in it, even the ones that didnt particularly like the concept at first, see its value.

That being said, trust me, the back and forth in that thread makes normal ISP arguments seem like a late night cinemax movie...
Dear Farbod,

There is nothing wrong with a non-moderated forum. What is wrong is arbitrarily deciding who can and who can't have access. It is discrimination in a community where equality is an inherent feature.

I have said this few times and I say it again, this exclusive forum experiment looks like, and functions like Jane Elliott's Blue-eyed vs Brown-eyed experiment in racism. I know this is an extreme example for this case, but the fundamentals are the same: arbitrarily assigning superior and inferior labels to an otherwise functioning group that thrives in equality.

IPride

National Team Player
Oct 18, 2002
Toronto, Canada
Dear Farbod,

There is nothing wrong with a non-moderated forum. What is wrong is arbitrarily deciding who can and who can't have access. It is discrimination in a community where equality is an inherent feature.

Especially when you have been on this forum for longer than most of the members and moderators!

Oct 18, 2002
Los Angeles, CA USA
Dear Farbod,

I have said this few times and I say it again, this exclusive forum experiment looks like, and functions like Jane Elliott's Blue-eyed vs Brown-eyed experiment in racism. I know this is an extreme example for this case, but the fundamentals are the same: arbitrarily assigning superior and inferior labels to an otherwise functioning group that thrives in equality.
Not really. Would you rather them pick 20 moderators and make a forum just for the moderators? I think Iranians are soooo in love with democracy and equality because of the horseshit that is IRI that they think it should apply to everything. This is an internet forum. Its run and owned by a group of individuals. They think that having a small non-moderated forum helps with overall health of the site. Its both experimental and function oriented. Trust me for the first month, there were like 4 posts. I think people are a bit too enamored with it honestly.

khodam

Bench Warmer
Oct 18, 2002
Atlanta
Not really. Would you rather them pick 20 moderators and make a forum just for the moderators? I think Iranians are soooo in love with democracy and equality because of the horseshit that is IRI that they think it should apply to everything. This is an internet forum. Its run and owned by a group of individuals. They think that having a small non-moderated forum helps with overall health of the site. Its both experimental and function oriented. Trust me for the first month, there were like 4 posts. I think people are a bit too enamored with it honestly.
You didn't really address my point. I didn't say it is illegal and the owners don't have the right to do so. I said it is insulting and discriminatory. You said the main purpose is having a non-moderated forum, I said that has nothing with it being exclusive.

And yes, if you have a forum for moderators (and pick 100 of them) that would be fine because the designation is not arbitrary.

Mahdi

Elite Member
Jan 1, 1970
Mjunik
The fact that all members inside there get along well with each other is not true.

In fact, some members picked have been picked for exactly that reason, that they had problems with each other. But in that particular forum, it seems easier to talk things out.

Like I said, it's an experiment. If you want to get in, try to fight more on the forum with some of the members.

khodam

Bench Warmer
Oct 18, 2002
Atlanta
Isn't it much more sensible then to make it accessible to everyone with a certain number of posts, so that other regulars who have been here for years don't feel snubbed?
IZ jan, I don't even think that is a good idea. I understand not letting people post in there if you have less than 20-30 posts, but not even letting people view it?

Oct 18, 2002
Los Angeles, CA USA
You didn't really address my point. I didn't say it is illegal and the owners don't have the right to do so. I said it is insulting and discriminatory. You said the main purpose is having a non-moderated forum, I said that has nothing with it being exclusive.

And yes, if you have a forum for moderators (and pick 100 of them) that would be fine because the designation is not arbitrary.
Uh how is that any less arbitrary? Both would be picked by certain people... Not by some kind of merit system.

ISP has four or Five other forums beside Exclusive and there is a reason for each one of them. If I get invited to a relative or a friend's house then I can't expect to enter into each and single room or area.

khodam

Bench Warmer
Oct 18, 2002
Atlanta
Uh how is that any less arbitrary? Both would be picked by certain people... Not by some kind of merit system.
Because it is understood that admins pick moderators. If now that we have a process for appointing mods, they arbitrarily appoint 100 mods, then it's wrong again. If admins pick 100 mods arbitrarily and make a forum for mods only, then what is wrong is not the exclusivity of the forum but the method of picking mods. That is not what we are discussing here.

Oct 18, 2002
Los Angeles, CA USA
Because it is understood that admins pick moderators. If now that we have a process for appointing mods, they arbitrarily appoint 100 mods, then it's wrong again. If admins pick 100 mods arbitrarily and make a forum for mods only, then what is wrong is not the exclusivity of the forum but the method of picking mods. That is not what we are discussing here.
What are you talking about? Wrong as to what? Immoral? Against the rules? Unhealthy for ISP? Where do you get your sense of right and wrong? Is it wrong just because you think its wrong? lol

The sense of entitlement here is hilarious.

khodam

Bench Warmer
Oct 18, 2002
Atlanta
If I get invited to a relative or a friend's house then I can't expect to enter into each and single room or area.
That is a very good example but one that hardly supports your case.

You, along with 100 others are invited to a relative's house. You see that few random relatives go in and out of one room but you're told explicitly by your host that you are not welcome in there. You won't have any right to take your relative to court but you have every right to feel offended.

Now on top of above, assume that you are one of the elders of the family and those invited are a mix of young (or even immature) folks who just joined your family and elders like yourself.

Status
Not open for further replies.