What is going on in Turkey?!

ChaharMahal

Elite Member
Oct 18, 2002
And what does any of that, even if it was 100% right (which it isn't), have anything to do with what I said?!
so many things you said were so wrong on so many dimensions.

economy is for donkeys -> Turkish Economy overall in the past ten years has outperformed the world economy.
with acceptable levels of inflation.
20120407_FNC877.jpg

Turkey is Exactly where Egypt was a year ago -> The comparison is completely uncalled for. Turkish Society whether their Islamists or Their Seculars are not comparable to Egypt.
Turkish Economy is rather different. That does not mean there are no lessons to be learned but a direct comparison is rather wrong.

Will the Ballot Box be there -> Justice and Development party has been in power since late 2002. There has been multiple elections. The opposition parties have plenty of things to say about Erdogan's boys.
but there has never been report of systematic irregularities at the polls.

Erdogan has appointed his own people in Military -> Well the Civilian leadership at some point has a say on which guys get the top jobs. But all the Current military leaders in Turkey have been working their way through Turkish Military with slow to come promotion over the past 30-40 years. It is not as if they picked somebody like Mohsen Rezaiee off the street and said hey young man you are the next head of the military.

again if you visit Turkey on the ground you would not have this sense that the society is being Islamized. Indeed the majority of the women you would see would have no Hijab (in large cities).

when you go to places run by the government (say the Airport) or the Train Station or say the Bus Stop, Stadium Most People are dressed very much as you would see in western societies.

Many people in Turkey actually support the limitations Erdogan's party placed on Alcohol sales. Because again if you were on the ground you would see how ridiculous it is that a little kid can buy alcohol from the store.

I too believe Erdogan has been in power too long. at the very least I hope Turkish People would not elect him as the next president but rather opt for other figure. Even Abdullah Gul would work for me.

But in the end of the day Erdogan's party is quite popular among the poor and the lower middle class in Turkey so they still have a good chance.

Turkey has had many bumps in the road and will have serious challenges in the future.. but very few people can deny that the Turkey Today is much democratic and developed than say 15 years ago and definitely a world of difference when compared to 1980s when military ran the show.

Your Mistake is to create a pattern based on Iran or Egypt and then try to fit the events of another country with completely different circumstances.

It would also be a mistake for me to suggest oh the Turkish Military are just power hungry. They are like Pakistan's Military every once in a while they like to overthrow the government.

Jun 9, 2004
Canada
^^^ You obviously didn't understand the post at all and aren't keeping up with the news, not even the few posted here. As I've said to you before many times, these on-the-ground assessments of yours are a terrible way of assessing the political or socio-economic condition of a country - absolutely terrible! ;)

Jun 9, 2004
Canada
I didn't even mention the power of the military being curbed, let alone be "worried" about it. That statement actually contradicts the essence of my post completely. That's why I'm saying you didn't understand it at all.