When is a Country Ready for Democracy ??

AMirza

IPL Player
Mar 19, 2004
A country is ready for democracy in which over 50% truely understand they must not have preffereal rights to anone else.
A country in which members of the majority understand, a crime by a minority must not be expanded into the whole community. While, the minority does feel they must defend a criminal brecause of being in the same minority.

Oct 18, 2002
The country is ready for democracy once they are ready to vote for me.

(This seems to be the general attitude of most Iranian political leaders).

Meehandoost

Bench Warmer
Sep 4, 2005
I believe it takes a lot more than 50% of a population to effect positive change, freedom for all and implement fresh new approaches to menacing chronic problems since the progressive people are more reasonable and in stark contrast to the elements of regression and oppression, less likely to resort to violence and force.

takbetak

Elite Member
Apr 27, 2006
a country is ready for Democracy when it's gets bombed to rubbles & subsequently occupied by the forces of Freedom & Liberty.

Makaveli

IPL Player
Jan 28, 2006
Iranpaak said:
LOL, and that is why we haven't become democratic yet, and perhaps never will :).
hey lets not underestimate ourselves. Iran was the first third world country to rise up for democracy. perhaps if it wasnt for the US backed coup we might have had a democracy today.

Oct 20, 2003
Makaveli said:
hey lets not underestimate ourselves. Iran was the first third world country to rise up for democracy. perhaps if it wasnt for the US backed coup we might have had a democracy today.
Did you read deerouz's post? Dude my reply was supposed to be in jest.

Feb 20, 2006
a country is ready for democracy when the minds of individuals that form the society is free.
jailed minds can neither comprehend freedom nor can sustain it

artavile

IPL Player
Oct 18, 2002
MD, USA
a country is ready for democracy when you can line up about 200,000 of it's citizens and put a little bullet in their head.

Just kidding, of course..........

Flint

Legionnaire
Jan 28, 2006
United States
The best thing that can happen to a country is to lose a war to the US. All debts are forgiven, billions of dollars start flowing, gets an advocate at all international forums, gets defended for free and if others let it chances are they can get a decent democracy. Ask Japan and Germany if you disagree. Even if she ends up with a dictator, it is bound to be a whole lot better than what they would come up with on their own. Does Iran ring a bell?

Makaveli

IPL Player
Jan 28, 2006
Flint said:
The best thing that can happen to a country is to lose a war to the US. All debts are forgiven, billions of dollars start flowing, gets an advocate at all international forums, gets defended for free and if others let it chances are they can get a decent democracy. Ask Japan and Germany if you disagree. Even if she ends up with a dictator, it is bound to be a whole lot better than what they would come up with on their own. Does Iran ring a bell?
that is true. US policy has been to only allow countries to rise up that have been humiliated by America or at least been brought to their knees by America in front of the world. thats why only countries that have been bludgeoned by America are allowed to sit at the same table as America.

Japans a great country today after those atomic bombs, but i dont know. ide rather die slowly on my legs than live on my knees if u catch what im saying. i'de really rather things stay the way they are no matter how shitty they are, and shitty they ARE indeed, than to be attacked by America

Feb 22, 2005
A country is ready for democracy where everyone respects the right of all others regardless of their religion, color, sexuality, etc..

Can a country become democratic where it lives by a book called Koran. Koran dictates all form of one's living and does not allow for different variation of humanity such as being gay, changing your religion, and uses the fear of hell to allow others such as US to control its followers.

Meehandoost

Bench Warmer
Sep 4, 2005
khoramdin said:
a country is ready for democracy when the minds of individuals that form the society is free.
jailed minds can neither comprehend freedom nor can sustain it
Very true, compounded by debilitating effects of prejudice which hinder critical thinking and portray fallacies as facts; as Einstein so aptly said "common sense is the collection of all prejudice acquired by age eighteen."

Jun 24, 2005
Democracy...The true Freedom of thoughts, writings ...and speeches are NOT something unfortunately Iran has been systematically designed for...

We are the nation of extremist..Take a look at Iran closely for the past 50 years....If you said something against the Shah, The Savakis would punish you and now if you do something against mullahs, Basigis will “Hang you”...

Each one of them have been claiming they are (or have been) practicing democracy...we all know the answer to that...

Our culture has issues with democracy ...Hypocrisy is more popular than Democracy amongst us...We need to learn how to apply and practice democracy in our own life before we could apply it as the Constitutional laws of IRAN...

Frankly, to me it does NOT really matter who rules Iran as long as they practice the Laws of Humanity...We are all Iranians and our religions rights, which is a personal choice, should not be held against us...When we learn to respect each others’ differences, then we have taken the first step towards True Democracy!!!

Last edited:
Jun 9, 2004
Canada
A country is ready for democracy when at least 1/4 of its citizens will stand up(whether peacefully or by force) and say they're ready for democracy.
This obviously wasn't the case with Iran in 78 and Afghanistan or Iraq in the early part of this milleniuum and we can all see the outcome.

artavile

IPL Player
Oct 18, 2002
MD, USA
Here is my formula for democracy in Iran:

(take all lebas shakhsis + all interrogators + all moolah + all aghazadehs + all security service members those with blood on their hand) * small caliber bullet = democracy :devil-smi

Feb 22, 2005
correct me on this, but Islam ruled Iran and when it did not, the mullahs were very powerful and had great influence over decisions.

The only time the above was not true was the period of Reza Shah, whom one can trurly call Cyrus II. He had the vision to see that the damages caused by the Islamic clerics and Islam. He tried to change that. Unfortunately, his son was weak and allowed the Islam to flourish again and thus 1979 revolution. I guess these are what a nation has to go through before they can get their democracy. That is once the people realize that religion is the worst form of dictatorship as it is social dictatorship. That religion shall have no power ruling over their social and political lives.

America understood the above until the religious people became powerful again through Reagan and Bush. Currently you can see the effect of having religion rule whitehouse, thus people in the US having to fight to get their democracy back.

Thus the reason for better form of democracy in countries like France, Sweden, ... and that is why in France you see them not wanting to allow any religion such as Islam using their signs (chador) to advertise and therefore allow for others to counter that and make the religion popular again.

Thus my formula for democracy:

no religion + respect of one's social rights + creating an environment for one to grow in whichever creative way they choose.

Jun 24, 2005
lordofmordor said:
correct me on this, but Islam ruled Iran and when it did not, the mullahs were very powerful and had great influence over decisions.

The only time the above was not true was the period of Reza Shah, whom one can trurly call Cyrus II. He had the vision to see that the damages caused by the Islamic clerics and Islam. He tried to change that. Unfortunately, his son was weak and allowed the Islam to flourish again and thus 1979 revolution. I guess these are what a nation has to go through before they can get their democracy. That is once the people realize that religion is the worst form of dictatorship as it is social dictatorship. That religion shall have no power ruling over their social and political lives.

America understood the above until the religious people became powerful again through Reagan and Bush. Currently you can see the effect of having religion rule whitehouse, thus people in the US having to fight to get their democracy back.

Thus the reason for better form of democracy in countries like France, Sweden, ... and that is why in France you see them not wanting to allow any religion such as Islam using their signs (chador) to advertise and therefore allow for others to counter that and make the religion popular again.

Thus my formula for democracy:

no religion + respect of one's social rights + creating an environment for one to grow in whichever creative way they choose.
"....The only time the above was not true was the period of Reza Shah, whom one can trurly call Cyrus II....."

May I correct you on this?

Cyrus the Great can only be compared to himself!!! The ONLY LEADER that gave the taste of True Democracy to Persians....Dr. Mossadegh tried so hard to do the same, but we all know what happened to him....

Reza shah had his guards pulling "Hejabs" off of women's heads on the Streets...and...Worked with "Hitler" to gain Military power in Iran, where do you see the democracy in that sir...??

Mullahs force to put "Hejabs" on women in the streets of Iran and Reza Shah forcefully took women's "Hejabs" off...At either period in the History of Iran Women have lived in "Fear"...Where is the Democracy in that??That's dictatorship!!!

In case you forgot Cyrus the great allowed people to have their choice of "Religions"...That included believing or not believing in Islam, Christianity, Judaism, Zoroastrianism, ........