Where to Stay In Barcelona?

Oct 18, 2002
Dear ISP friends,

My 11 year old son is mad about football (soccer) ever since we went to the world cup. This year as his birthday gift he wants me to take him to Barcelona to see them play (as this coincides with his spring break, first week in April). Though I have been to Barcelona once before but I am not familiar with Nou and its surroundings thus I need suggestions as where to stay in Barcelona. Is the weather similar to So. Cal (where we live) at this time of the year? what else can we do there? We'll be staying there for 4 days. For now I've made reservations at Claris Hotel in downtown area.

Happy Noruz to you all
Amooasdollah

Nov 24, 2002
Dear ISP friends,

My 11 year old son is mad about football (soccer) ever since we went to the world cup. This year as his birthday gift he wants me to take him to Barcelona to see them play (as this coincides with his spring break, first week in April). Though I have been to Barcelona once before but I am not familiar with Nou and its surroundings thus I need suggestions as where to stay in Barcelona. Is the weather similar to So. Cal (where we live) at this time of the year? what else can we do there? We'll be staying there for 4 days. For now I've made reservations at Claris Hotel in downtown area.

Happy Noruz to you all
Amooasdollah
no one can help better than westie ..:)

Oct 18, 2002
I personally haven't been to Barcelona and know that everywhere is nice!!!!
Thank you jspworld.

I checked a few websites and they cautioned about some neighborhoods. City center was recommended for being close to everywhere but again cautioned about some hotels for being overpriced and having terrible service/amenities. The more I searched the more confused I became.

Jun 9, 2004
Canada
I thought TM was going to Barcelona! ;)

First off Amoo jaan, let me say that's a great gift. If you're comfortable driving there (it is a little crazy, but not too bad), you can move away from the city centre and the hotel prices drop significantly. The city centre may not be the most exciting place for an 11 year old anyway. The Zoo, the Olympic complex and stadiums are all outside the city. You can find great prices around the airport (which is a 20 minute highway drive to downtown) and also in areas such as Sant Just (about 15 minutes street drive to downtown).

Parking is a little expensive but then again, so are taxis. Overall, if you're not going to spend too much time downtown, having a rental car for 20-25 Euros a day )we paid around 25 Euros all inclusive for a volvo S70 I think it was) is a great deal especially when you can easily save 50-80 Euros a night on the hotel - never mind the conveniemce.

We've stayed at the following hotels in Barcelona in the last 2 years and they were both newly built, very modern and affordable 4 star hotels (depending on whose rating you go by):

Tryp Aeropuerto (part of the Sol Melia chain): We payed 70 Euros including VAT in June (which is extremely cheap).

City Park Hotel Sant Just: Payed 58 Euros + VAT in July!!!

6-7 years ago I paid around 130 Euros at a 4* city centre hotel in Madrid and honetly it was crap comapred to these 2 hotels and I'd never pay that much for a hotel regardless of where I go!

Let me know if you have any other questions.

Jun 9, 2004
Canada
Thank you Bi-honar jan,

You are the man :dance3: Great suggestions. I will check them out.
No worries bro. After I posted this, I actually checked out the City Park hotel to make sure things had not changed since we had been there. there seems to be a lot of negative comments recently on that hotel, so please make sure you go through them. A lot of the complaints were about the location and front desk staff and some about the hotel being overpriced (I guess they had paid around 150 euros!). I would definitely not recommend it at that price range as the reception staff are not the best ones. You're usually good with the some Tryp and most Melia hotels though (i.e. Tryp Aeropuerto). Priceline is usually a good place to get very good rates. There's also a couple of Melia's in the City Centre I think.