which striker is better on his day?

Borhani vs Mohsen Khalili

• Total voters

Amir

Bench Warmer
Mar 8, 2005
Borhani vs Mohsen Khalili...

I know Borhani is a nightmare when he's not having his day... but what we've seen in recent months, on his peak, he becomes a goalscoring machine and a joy to watch

On the other hand mohsen khalili, he probably is the best iranian striker when it comes to shooting technique... and scores the most vital goals for his team.

who is the better on his day?

Aug 26, 2005
On his day...no contest. Borhani. Khalili tends to be a bit more consistent and you know what to expect from him. But Borhani is fantastic when he's on song.

Amir

Bench Warmer
Mar 8, 2005
On his day...no contest. Borhani. Khalili tends to be a bit more consistent and you know what to expect from him. But Borhani is fantastic when he's on song.
I think so too. Borhani on a good day is the best striker of recent years. But overall if i were to choose one it would have to be Khalili. Like you said he is more consistent, and in terms of trust and not having as much bad days in his career, Khalili would be the one id pick.

Jul 5, 2008
Melbourne
I love Mohsen Khalili..

But its hands down that Arash Borhani has for so many years been the most talented Iranian striker we have produced, seems like he finally is living up to that potential, if he keeps this consistency up, Arash could definitely be a solution to Iran's problems upfront, his form right now is nothing far from breathtaking, he comes of the bench, takes the kid 5-10 minutes and he scores, it seems like Arash is truly unstoppable this year...

But to be honest, i would like to see a Borhani-Khalili duo in Team Melli...

Last edited:

Amir

Bench Warmer
Mar 8, 2005
I love Mohsen Khalili..

But its hands down that Arash Borhani has for so many years been the most talented Iranian striker we have produced, seems like he finally is living up to that potential, if he keeps this consistency up, Arash could definitely be a solution to Iran's problems upfront, his form right now is nothing far from breathtaking, he comes of the bench, takes the kid 5-10 minutes and he scores, it seems like Arash is truly unstoppable this year...

But to be honest, i would like to see a Borhani-Khalili duo in Team Melli...
how far in the World Cup will iran reach with those 2 upfront? id say semis is definately possible...

ALI M.D

Bench Warmer
Jul 8, 2003
Montreal
Khalili??? what the hell happened to this guy my guess is he will never get on form again and never make it to the big stage like alot of our players who just vanish

Mr Thick

IPL Player
Oct 21, 2002
Please, did you forget how retarded borhani was for the past three years and more? Esteghlal seems to be playing ACCORDING to the way borhani can ONLY play and this is a mistake as he could be injured at any time even though he is very careful and does not take any risks. This guy was putting the ball above the net when he was like 3 meters away from it.

Last edited:

Sly

Elite Member
Oct 18, 2002
Both players are disasters compared to our past top strikers like Daei, Azizi, Hashemian, Pius, Mohammadkhani and ....

But oh well... We gotta deal with this talent drought for a while.
Totally agree with BT here. However, between the 2, I'd go for Borhani. On their best days, I think Borhani would be a better striker.

oghabealborz

Elite Member
Feb 18, 2005
Strawberry field
Well said , Khalili has not been around long enough ,who knows ? maybe in a couple of years Khalili become the best ever but also Borhani can .

IranZamin

IPL Player
Feb 17, 2006
how far in the World Cup will iran reach with those 2 upfront? id say semis is definately possible...
You've got to be kidding me. We couldn't even reach the second round with Daei/Azizi in their prime, and neither of these guys hold a candle to those two.

Oct 18, 2002
You've got to be kidding me. We couldn't even reach the second round with Daei/Azizi in their prime, and neither of these guys hold a candle to those two.
I think he meant the semis of the West Asian Football Tournement...

Khalili is a better goalscorer while Borhani is faster and has better technique, but none of them come anywhere close to some decent strikers we had in 80s and 90s.

IranZamin

IPL Player
Feb 17, 2006
Khalili is a better goalscorer while Borhani is faster and has better technique, but none of them come anywhere close to some decent strikers we had in 80s and 90s.
Absolutely. This has to be the weakest offense we've had since the 1960's. Whether it was Roshan, Alidoosti, Pius, and later Daei and Azizi, we always had at least one striker that was lethal at Asian level. I can't say that about any of these guys.

Oct 18, 2002
Add Mohammadhani, Gholam Mazloumi, etc. In fact, the current roster is deficient in every line (perhaps except goalie) in comparison to our previous rosters. We keep claiming that our current midfield is full of stars, but can any of them (even Javad) compare to Ghelichhani, Parvin, Bagheri in his prime, even slightly-better-than-average ones like Derakhshan and Ghayeghran? How about our defenders comparing to Nazari, Abdollahi, Panjali, Zarincheh etc? It is not just the forward line.

oghabealborz

Elite Member
Feb 18, 2005
Strawberry field
Absolutely. This has to be the weakest offense we've had since the 1960's. Whether it was Roshan, Alidoosti, Pius, and later Daei and Azizi, we always had at least one striker that was lethal at Asian level. I can't say that about any of these guys.
Even in the 60s they were better , Homayoun Behzadi ,Jalal Talebi and even further back in the 50s we had Dr Amir Masoud Boroomand who were better than the current lot .

In the 30s there was Marhoom Hosaein Sadaghyani who played in belgium league and was the top scorer in their first division !

Jul 5, 2008
Melbourne
Arash jan please help me here...
Amir jan how?...
Id be lying to say Khalili or Borhani is better then Hassan Rowshan, Alidosti, Daei or Azizi..

The day we find another clone of those players ill be the first to throw my hat up in the air, Khalili and Borhani out of the 2, Borhani has the talent to become something special, but we have to give him that chance in Team Melli, seems like Ali Daei isn't.

But, to be honest, i think Borhani-Khalili duo in Team Melli is the best we got, even though Khalili is injured i know he will return strong. Knowing they are 2 different strikers, it's not like Borhani-Rezae where both of them are pretty much identical...

In Iran, i think AT THEIR BEST right now, these 2 definitely know how to find the back of net..Khalili's 18 goals last season were all brilliant "Striker" finishes...
If you look at the video they were true goals by a striker, rarely u could see a tap in..

What Iran is lacking, is a true goal poacher, like Ali Daei...
He was the best of the best in this area, better then any thing Asia has produced upfront, why because he had that eye for goal, back behind the goal, he still knew when to turn and just pull the trigger..Iran-Saudi back in 2001 the 2nd goal he scored, JESUS he did not even LOOK at the goal and still managed to put the ball on the bottom corner, once again goes to show they guy just KNEW, where the goal was...

We complained about his goals against Laos, those 4 goals he scored, bla bla anyone can score 4 goals against Laos, i clearly remember the comments after that game..
But in fact, neither one of our strikers right now, would be able to score 4 goals against Laos..Because neither has that instinct Daei used to have...

We have to try and see what Borhani-Khalili can do upfront...
With Rezaei & Shojaei just behind them, i seriously think as long as we keep using a lone striker, we will fail...We are not a country who possesses a "superstar" striker such as Zlatan, Henry, Etoo, or Anelka to put them ALL BY THEMSELVES upfront to finish of the job, we need 2 strikers..

If these ideas, players, systems do not work, i hope a miracle comes up before the World Cup where we find a talent out of nowhere, because come 2010 World Cup and we haven't found a striker who can actually finish, hell we don't even have a HALF IRANIAN in Europe who is scoring regularly that we could bring into Team Melli...

We are screwed...:-ohno:

But what amazes me is that one of our biggest talents, is finally maturing, and having that season EVERYONE has been waiting for so many years..
Borhani so far has netted 23 goals in all competitions and even when played for Team Melli against Singapore & Galacia scored goals.
Still gets benched and gets put on with the last 5 minutes..

I mean if we complain about strikers and bench our best striker, i think its not a problem regarding our talent pool, its a problem with our head coach...

Last edited: