Why are University Sports so Big in U.S but not in other countries

ChaharMahal

Elite Member
Oct 18, 2002
If you are into U.S sports you have might noticed that University "Pro" Sports are big deal in the U.S

They basically serve as the lower division in most money sports.

How is that this did not materialize in other countries?

R.BAGGIO

National Team Player
Oct 19, 2002
Toronto
One reason is that there are many more private universities in the U.S. that charge an arm and a leg for tuition. They are run a lot like corporations. Even the public universities care a lot about their margins (they are supposed to be non-profit but I don't buy that for a second). They need the money and state of the art laboratories anyway to attract top researchers.

Also playing sports is just much more ingrained in the educational system in North America compared to Europe or anywhere else in the world really. I mean high school in North America is more about sports teams and cheerleaders than academics.

Another reason could be that U.S. universities basically go out of their way to make life a lot easier for athletes academically. Let's face it they are usually not the brightest bunch. I would guess that European universities primarily care about academics ( the way it should be ;)

TeamMeli

Elite Member
Feb 5, 2014
Las Vegas, NV
One reason bro $$$$$$$$$$. The NCAA makes billions annually off of college football and college basketball through sponsorships and other avenues and the money they give up in scholarships is a drop on the bucket compared to the revenue each institution makes when you hit it big. I think Michigan State alone got something like $15,000,000 for beating Stanford in the Rose Bowl and if they make it to the final four, they are going to get big money again. Academics is almost secondary and even students pick universities because that was the school they cheered for or they cheered for with mommy and daddy.

Aug 21, 2005
next door
just like anything else in US, it is pure business. Money first, education second. education in US is not what it use to be. everything is bigger and better but you find more foreigners working the labs in Universities than whites. also not to forget that the lack of lower division sports in US also contributes to this. where as most athletes leave to pro sports in their teens and than continue into the main roster, here in US there is no lower division, so players have to play in NCAA before going Pro.

it is like having Alireza jahanbakh and sardar Azumen in a college football team instead of a pro team! of course that team is going to play good and look good on the field

ChaharMahal

Elite Member
Oct 18, 2002
One reason bro $$$$$$$$$$. The NCAA makes billions annually off of college football and college basketball through sponsorships and other avenues and the money they give up in scholarships is a drop on the bucket compared to the revenue each institution makes when you hit it big. I think Michigan State alone got something like $15,000,000 for beating Stanford in the Rose Bowl and if they make it to the final four, they are going to get big money again. Academics is almost secondary and even students pick universities because that was the school they cheered for or they cheered for with mommy and daddy.
absolutely it is big business and it is generating huge revenues for the universities.

but then why are European universities not emulating that model.

I think it has something to do with the fact that there are actually very few professional lower division leagues in the U.S.

Basketball, Hockey, Baseball all have functional lower division leagues. but really very few people root for them.

somehow in the U.S "non-profit" U.S sports has replaced the role of commercial lower division professional teams.

TeamMeli

Elite Member
Feb 5, 2014
Las Vegas, NV
absolutely it is big business and it is generating huge revenues for the universities.

but then why are European universities not emulating that model.

I think it has something to do with the fact that there are actually very few professional lower division leagues in the U.S.

Basketball, Hockey, Baseball all have functional lower division leagues. but really very few people root for them.

somehow in the U.S "non-profit" U.S sports has replaced the role of commercial lower division professional teams.
Not only that but even with me you got to understand college football is a religion you go to your church on Sunday but on Saturday you are either in the stadium or if you are far away, you are watching the game. If there is a big Michigan State football game against Michigan, Notre Dame or Ohio State, I will be glued to the TV. The lower divisions don't get much support and I think it's going to get worse because now they tentatively agreed to Northwestern unionizing. I'm actually not against that idea as long as they do it right I think it's wrong that a kid can't get a big mac and the University is selling his jersey for $75.

College athletics in Europe won't ever reach the US model because there is not much of an interest in Europe they care about professional sports but in US the third most popular sport is College Football and it's even ahead of Pro Baseball. That would NEVER HAPPEN in Europe.

Aug 21, 2005
next door
this issue was being discussed on NPR Radio yesterday, I missed some of it but it seems some student athletes have sued Northwestern University and have demanded more scholarship, stipends etc..... on the other side of the argument was the president of Miami University who defended that the money generated is used to support other sports that are not making money and female athletics.

there was another issue few month ago about some college football players sued EA Sport for using their face, number on the cover of the EA Sport College Football saying that they should get paid for it if the are being used in commercials, video games etc......

this was the same issue that lead the break of the fab 5 in Michigan as Chris Weber later said that he felt that the University was making big buck while Chris and his teammates were living in a bad condition etc....

i think this issue will not go away anytime soon as more money is poured into NCAA it will burst at some point with Student Athletes wanting to get a big piece of the pie.

TeamMeli

Elite Member
Feb 5, 2014
Las Vegas, NV
Now there is another issue Persian Eagle if they are employees and let's say you go to Northwestern and have a $50,000 scholarship, now that scholarship and any revenue you gain is going to get taxed. Uncle Sam is going to come after you It is interesting to see how will this develop and what are you going to do are you going to pay tennis and Lacrosse players the same money as a football or basketball player? Is an unknown offensive lineman going to get as much as the starting quarterback is the bench warmer in basketball going to get as much as the star guard? These are some of the issues.

Aug 21, 2005
next door
^^i agree with you, but this situation will get worse soon. the other argument is that nba, nfl, mbl,nhl have not done enough to create farm leagues so they feed off the NCAA system, therefore spending less money on developing players. some say that these leagues should spend more money in the farm leagues instead.

TeamMeli

Elite Member
Feb 5, 2014
Las Vegas, NV
^^i agree with you, but this situation will get worse soon. the other argument is that nba, nfl, mbl,nhl have not done enough to create farm leagues so they feed off the NCAA system, therefore spending less money on developing players. some say that these leagues should spend more money in the farm leagues instead.
Yes will in the case of the NFL, you really don't have a farm system. You have another professional football leage, the CFL and if you are a top quarterback on a good team you can make a million dollars on your contract but the average CFL player probably gets $80,000. It is hardly considered a farm system at all. As for NBA and MLB you are right I guess the NBA equivalent of a farm system would be the NBA-D League. Players there can prove themselves in that league and maybe get called up to the NBA and usually they are there are some NBA players who are towards the end of the rotation so it's a way for them to get playing time. The only true farm system is MLB.

Back to the issue of players getting paid for their services. The way I see it if you outperform your part of the contract and that university is receiving prime time slots for your football and basketball games, you should be fairly compensated. I was an advocate of this for over a decade now and I hope the players finally get theirs after all of their hard work. For years the NCAA made billions off of these guys and I had a lot of friends who played major ncaa athletics like college football. You are not there to study and get good grades for your major. You are there to be academically eligible with a 2.2 GPA