Why did Paolo Di Canio never play for Italy?

Mahdi

Elite Member
Jan 1, 1970
Mjunik
Can someone explain this to me?
Was it because of his politics? Or that he played in England?
he played U-21 but was kicked out for disciplinary reasons. After that, well, Italy had between 94-2004 Baggio, Del Piero, Zola, Totti, Vieri, Casiraghi, Signori, Mancini etc. in his position. Why should he have played?

Oct 1, 2004
he played U-21 but was kicked out for disciplinary reasons. After that, well, Italy had between 94-2004 Baggio, Del Piero, Zola, Totti, Vieri, Casiraghi, Signori, Mancini etc. in his position. Why should he have played?
I don't disagree that they had better players, but he never even got a call-up for a meaningless friendly.

Mahdi

Elite Member
Jan 1, 1970
Mjunik
yeah well, Machete don't text, Italy don't play meaningless friendlies. Hehehehe

but as said, it was because they had lots of depth and they didn't take a player from West Ham and Sheffield United (or was it Wednesday?) serious.

oghabealborz

Elite Member
Feb 18, 2005
Strawberry field
You have a valid point but perhaps his character had something to do with it as well , as someone mentioned he was kicked out once from the youth team, he did have short fuse ,bit like Cantona . obviuosey he was not as good as cantona but he was a decent player ...just a bit too hot headed for his own good.

Aug 26, 2005
Zola is one of the best players in EPL history and he couldn't get into that Italian team with much regularity. Di Canio ke bere boogh bezane.

Mahdi

Elite Member
Jan 1, 1970
Mjunik
You have a valid point but perhaps his character had something to do with it as well , as someone mentioned he was kicked out once from the youth team, he did have short fuse ,bit like Cantona . obviuosey he was not as good as cantona but he was a decent player ...just a bit too hot headed for his own good.
well yes, I mentioned that myself :D

but as said, nevermind the disciplinary part(plus a lot of players played U-21 at some point), Italy back then didn't lack the options and certainly in the 90ies Serie A was stronger than EPL so they also looked first at players at home.

oghabealborz

Elite Member
Feb 18, 2005
Strawberry field
well yes, I mentioned that myself :D

but as said, nevermind the disciplinary part(plus a lot of players played U-21 at some point), Italy back then didn't lack the options and certainly in the 90ies Serie A was stronger than EPL so they also looked first at players at home.
Sorry I missed that , never the less I enjoyed watching him play , he scored some spectacular goals and was it not him that pushed the ref and he stumbled backwards and fell on his backside ,I am sure his mates have some stories to tell about him and his rage !

mashdi

Football Legend
Sep 29, 2005
...and was it not him that pushed the ref and he stumbled backwards and fell on his backside..
Yes.i remember watching that one live.it was against Arsenal.the referee made a blatant dive and should have been yellow carded.:)

on a side note , Di Canio was at Upton Park yesterday for the Man United game.i'm sure he enjoyed watching his Hammers get battered by Manchester United.:)

[video=youtube;9TFVuHrwgyY]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9TFVuHrwgyY[/video]