Why do we call Poland "Lahestan"?

Aug 29, 2005
hmm I thought all the stan states were once part of Iran, does that mean hungary and poland were once part of iran too? fekr nakonam chon we call india hindustan as well

Oct 1, 2004
Hungary is called Majaristan because it comes from the word "Magyar" which is what the Hungarians used to call themselves.

As for Poland, it's less obvious but here is what I found.

Variations of the country endonym Polska became exonyms in other languages. Exonyms for Poland in other Slavic languages bear particular resemblance to the Polish endonym (Kashubian Pòlskô; Czech Polsko; Croatian, Slovenian Poljsko; Belarussian Польшча, Pol'shcha; Russian Польша, Pol'sha). In Latin, which was the principal written language of the Middle Ages, the exonym for Poland became Polonia. It later became the basis for Poland's name in all Romance (Italian, Spanish, Romanian Polonia; French Pologne) and many other languages (e.g. Albanian Polonia; Greek Πολωνία, Polōnía). Germans, Poland's western neighbors, called it Polen from which exonyms for Poland in other Germanic (Dutch, Danish, Swedish, Norwegian Polen; English Poland; Icelandic Pólland; Yiddish פױלן, Poyln) and other languages (e.g. Arabic بولندا, Bolánda; Hebrew פולין, Polin; Indonesian Polandia; Irish An Pholainn; Japanese ポーランド, Pōrando) are derived.

There is, however, a group of languages, where the exonym for Poland derives from the name of Lendians, a proto-Polish tribe that lived around the confluence of rivers Vistula and San, in what is now south-eastern Poland. Their name derived probably from the Proto-Polish word lęda, or "scorched land".[1] Not surprisingly, this kind of exonyms are used by the peoples who lived east or south of Poland. Among those exonyms are: Lithuanian Lenkija, Hungarian Lengyelország and Turkish Lehistan (now considered obsolete and replaced by Polonya).[3] The latter became the basis for Poland exonyms in a number of other Middle Eastern languages, including: Kurdish لێھستان, Lohêstan; Armenian Լեհաստան, Lehastan; Persian, Tajik لهستان, Lahestan).

In East Slavic languages a Pole was called лях (lyakh), a term that gave rise to the Polish poetic endonym, Lechia. This name became so popular that it led the Poles to believe that Poland was founded by a legendary hero called Lech. The historical region of Poland on the Belarusian border known as Podlachia (Polish Podlasie) derives its name from that East Slavic exonym. Today, Lachy Sądeckie is a name of a small ethnic group around Nowy Sącz in southern Lesser Poland. In Polish literature, the names Lachy and Lechistan are often put in East Slavic and Turkish mouths respectively as synonyms for "Poles" and "Poland".

In some languages the Polish endonym Polak became an ethnic slur used to describe a Pole. Examples include English Polack (formerly a neutral term[4], for example in Hamlet's references to "the Polack wars") and French polaque. In other languages this is the neutral word for Polish or a Pole (e.g. Spanish polaco, Italian polacco). In Russian and Ukrainian the old exonym лях (lyakh) is now considered offensive[5] and is replaced by the neutral поляк (polyak), although the latter's diminutive form, полячёк (polyachyok) is pejorative as well.

alila

National Team Player
Jun 9, 2006
a galaxy far far away
once told a polish guy how we say POLAND in farsi..and he said LAHESTAN is a very old name of POLAND....sadly i dont have any contact with him right now ,otherwise i could have asked him the details..
there are bunch of cute polish girls living few houses away to where i live..that would be a good ice breaker lol
i will let u guys know when i get through her pants,,sorry i meant past

Toofan

Elite Member
Nov 14, 2004
Qom
www.toofan.org
Here's why we call Poland Lahestan:

There is, however, a group of languages, where the exonym for Poland derives from the name of Lendians, a proto-Polish tribe that lived around the confluence of rivers Vistula and San, in what is now south-eastern Poland. Their name derived probably from the Proto-Polish word lęda, or "scorched land".[1] Not surprisingly, this kind of exonyms are used by the peoples who lived east or south of Poland. Among those exonyms are: Lithuanian Lenkija, Hungarian Lengyelország and Turkish Lehistan (now considered obsolete and replaced by Polonya).[3] The latter became the basis for Poland exonyms in a number of other Middle Eastern languages, including: Kurdish لێھستان, Lohêstan; Armenian Լեհաստան, Lehastan; Persian, Tajik لهستان, Lahestan).

May 9, 2004
له اسمی است که مردم لهستان کنونی به ان ملقب بوده اند تقریبا در سال 980 میلادی در این سرزمین دولتی را تشکیل دادند که بعدها مغلوب پولونیها شدند و بعد از اینکه عثمانیها تا سر حد لهستان پیش رفتند اسم این کشور را از سایر اقوام اروپا که انها را لها مینامیدند به قاموس خود اضافه کردند و بعدها ایرانیان ان سر زمین را به اسم لهستان شناختند ولی پلونیها اقوام دیگری هستند که در لهستان کونونی زندگی میکنند مثل اقوام چک و اسلواک که دو قوم
مختلف در یک کشور بودند به همین خاطر چون پولونیها بر لها چیره شدند اسم این کشور از لها به پولند تبدیل شد

alila

National Team Player
Jun 9, 2006
a galaxy far far away
له اسمی است که مردم لهستان کنونی به ان ملقب بوده اند تقریبا در سال 980 میلادی در این سرزمین دولتی را تشکیل دادند که بعدها مغلوب پولونیها شدند و بعد از اینکه عثمانیها تا سر حد لهستان پیش رفتند اسم این کشور را از سایر اقوام اروپا که انها را لها مینامیدند به قاموس خود اضافه کردند و بعدها ایرانیان ان سر زمین را به اسم لهستان شناختند ولی پلونیها اقوام دیگری هستند که در لهستان کونونی زندگی میکنند مثل اقوام چک و اسلواک که دو قوم
مختلف در یک کشور بودند به همین خاطر چون پولونیها بر لها چیره شدند اسم این کشور از لها به پولند تبدیل شد
thanks...

May 9, 2004
alila now you have to think of a new chat up line!! lol.. btw.. polish girls have a reputation for being very dirty (in a good way! lol)
Yes i agree %100 i traveld to poland 4 times the girls are really dirty they kiss you french and making 69 in first date
I really dont like that kind of easy girls one time there was a girl she was crying Becouse i didnt want to make sex with her we were toghother just for 2 houres!!!!!!!!

BTW the most pretty girl i seen in my life was in SOPOT(POLAND)
After i saw her other girls were like monkies compare to her!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

alila

National Team Player
Jun 9, 2006
a galaxy far far away
alila now you have to think of a new chat up line!! lol.. btw.. polish girls have a reputation for being very dirty (in a good way! lol)
tell me about it...
as i said there are 2-3 of them who have rented a house close to my house and man i have to confess they r making my heart beat again...
3 petite blondies with green/blue eyes...i never liked blondies but man these r different..

as general parisian and u saying,,they r ( GOOD) DIRTY minded girls lol
one of these girls looks right into my eyes in a way that is just wow..just imagine how an old persian devil like me get turned on by a 23 old polish blondy,,god help me lol

i will start a thread,,,will be delighted if u reply ur experience
chak

oghabealborz

Elite Member
Feb 18, 2005
Strawberry field
as general parisian and u saying,,they r ( GOOD) DIRTY minded girls lol
one of these girls looks right into my eyes in a way that is just wow..just imagine how an old persian devil like me get turned on by a 23 old polish blondy,,god help me lol

chak
Degho delli ESES va bangaal ro sare polisha khaali kon ,chon be ESES ke nemitooni !:cheers:

by the way wasen't Lahestan another name for Goosh koob ? used in part of our country !:hau:

alila

National Team Player
Jun 9, 2006
a galaxy far far away
Degho delli ESES va bangaal ro sare polisha khaali kon ,chon be ESES ke nemitooni !:cheers:

by the way wasen't Lahestan another name for Goosh koob ? used in part of our country !:hau:
i wonder if any of those polish girls are eses fans by any chance?looooooool
that would be awesome,,,cuz i never had a girl crazy about football...i will try to buy her a blue jersey ( XL size) and ask her to wear it on her naked body looool
thats one hell of a blue fannnnnnnnnnnnnnnnn

thanks for the inspiration oghab jan ,,

Jan 2, 2015
Milanello
Yes i agree %100 i traveld to poland 4 times the girls are really dirty they kiss you french and making 69 in first date
I really dont like that kind of easy girls one time there was a girl she was crying Becouse i didnt want to make sex with her we were toghother just for 2 houres!!!!!!!!

BTW the most pretty girl i seen in my life was in SOPOT(POLAND)
After i saw her other girls were like monkies compare to her!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
What a great character you are dude :)