why do you let ISP member names

LDPC

Bench Warmer
Dec 23, 2003
I wonder why does ISP let members choose similar names. I believe if there is an older member that has chosen certain name and then a new member choose a name very similar to it then the older member or any user has the right to request name change.

I was looking for meehandoost posts and I saw that there is another user with 300 or so posts with the name of MIHANDUST. I believe it is not right to confuse users by choosing similar name and it is unethical if done on purpose.

If ISP finds this legitimate may be they can advice the new user to change his/her name and give us the right to complain and request name change when such similarities are found.

Thank you

P.S: by the way I do have 300 or so posts but have been here since 2001 and changed name due to the same problem once.

By the way if both users I mention are same person I apologize but I doubt that is the case, in any case the problem is legitimate I guess and has happened before.

ChaharMahal

Elite Member
Oct 18, 2002
simple reason:there is no simple algoritim to automate this.
second such a thing is not important even if it had any importance it's priority would 10 in a 1-10 scale.
1 being the highest and 10 being the lowest.

Ali(ISP)

Tottenham till I die
Oct 16, 2002
Southampton, UK
There is no way of tracking down the usernames of all new users and checking them for existing members by ISP. even if we spent all our time on isp, this would be quite hard to do, as we have over 9500 registered members.

If an existing members believes that a new member has joined in with a username very similar to theirs, we are happy to talk to both members and try and resolve the problem in a manner that both parties are happy. But for this to happen, they need to email us, rather than sitting and wondering why no one is doing nothing about this :)

LDPC

Bench Warmer
Dec 23, 2003
simple reason:there is no simple algoritim to automate this.
second such a thing is not important even if it had any importance it's priority would 10 in a 1-10 scale.
1 being the highest and 10 being the lowest.
I didn't say an automatic algorithm and I know it is difficult. I mentioned a user feedback for the name change. This feedback would be of no use unless the law is there and the law should be ratified by the ISP administration.

LDPC

Bench Warmer
Dec 23, 2003
There is no way of tracking down the usernames of all new users and checking them for existing members by ISP. even if we spent all our time on isp, this would be quite hard to do, as we have over 9500 registered members.

If an existing members believes that a new member has joined in with a username very similar to theirs, we are happy to talk to both members and try and resolve the problem in a manner that both parties are happy. But for this to happen, they need to email us, rather than sitting and wondering why no one is doing nothing about this :)
Thanks Ali, this is exactly what I had in mind. A user or any user feedback.Maybe Meehandoost won't mind that the there is a similar name as MIHANDUST but I care.

Ali(ISP)

Tottenham till I die
Oct 16, 2002
Southampton, UK
Thanks Ali, this is exactly what I had in mind. A user or any user feedback.Maybe Meehandoost won't mind that the there is a similar name as MIHANDUST but I care.
if you do mind, then a simple email to isp admin would make us look in to it :)

and just for your information, MIHANDUST (who you are objecting to because he only has around 300 posts) has been a member since october 2002 (even before you joined). you might not know him, but he is an old timer compared to meehandoost (who has been a member since 2005 himself!). neither of them are new exactly!

LDPC

Bench Warmer
Dec 23, 2003
if you do mind, then a simple email to isp admin would make us look in to it :)

and just for your information, MIHANDUST (who you are objecting to because he only has around 300 posts) has been a member since october 2002 (even before you joined). you might not know him, but he is an old timer compared to meehandoost (who has been a member since 2005 himself!). neither of them are new exactly!
Good to know, but I have been here since 2001 :) remember your cow, the cancer research in 2002 ... anyway had to change the name for the same reason. I had user name Siavash for a year and then the user name Siavosh was assigned and I didn't want to have similar name, it was at the time when ISP changed owner and I think the database crashed and users were asked to re-register with the site. Now you may see where I am comming from on this issue.

Last edited: