Why not Dejagah, Ghodoos, Goochi, Jahanbakhsh?

ashtar

National Team Player
Aug 17, 2003
Ashtar What are you talking about? Even Russian media are not saying good things about Azmoun. Didn't you see the different Gucci made when we played Turkey? It was his header that gave us the penalty. Azmoun is not is a good shape these days. My knowledge of football is OK.
I know why you like him because he asked that Russian girl not appear sexy on tv.
What Russian girl? What are you talking about?

I defend him because of what I see from him on the pitch myself not because of what some analysts or media (who for a good part are as clueless about the game as many fans) may say.

Here's the deal, a striker is only as good as the opportunities he is provided by his teammates. When our team has no real play makers or the system to constantly and effectively feed the the striker you can't expect any striker, including Azmoon to pull goals out of his ass.

You can't expect Sardar to constantly run the length of the field back to help the defense in our own penalty box and at the same time be as fast and accurate on the attack as he is in his club where for the most part he stands in the opponents half waiting for an opportunity to just strike.

If this team had provided Azmoon with even 3 (that's THREE) opportunities to score a goal and he had missed them then I may have given your or the "Russian media's" opinion about Azmoon some credence. But when he hasn't been given even three scoring opportunities in 90 minutes and his coach and clueless fans expect a natural striker like him to pull back and help with defense I can't and I won't fault the guy.

It's as if when Real Madrid concedes a goal instead of blaming Ramos one were to blame Ronaldo for not coming back to help with defense or if the coach told Ronaldo to play in their own penalty box and help Ramos then blaming Ronaldo for not being as effective in scoring a goal as offense! Why don't you first define the role you want a player to play then judge his performance for that role.

Oct 16, 2002
DarvAze DoolAb
www.iransportspress.com
In fact, I fault CQ for tasking players like Azmoon and Taremi with falling all the way back our own penalty box which allowed Spanish defenders including Ramos and Pique to dare push all the way forward
I can understand it for some minutes against Spain, but CQ has done this against teams like Uzbekistan and Qatar as well and that's just disappointing. It almost guarantees the opponent doesn't get to score, but it guarantees we won't score either!

Another thing it does is it takes players like Azmoun completely out of the game. A striker not involved in the game cannot convert his chances when they come up. Azmoun is a perfect example. He's not exactly a Diego Costa, but even if he was, it would be impossible for him to perform for Iran. CQ's tactics nullify strikers' danger on both ends of the field :)

Nov 24, 2002
I don't get all Azmoun bashing. He shouldn't play 90 minutes but not much he could have done other than winning battles and pressing in CQ ultra-defensive system. Leave the kid alone baba. He is the best since Daei. End of story. Look at his stats.

Saeedb

Bench Warmer
Jul 7, 2003
I don't bash Azmoun but rather CQ when he sees Azmoun is ineffective he should take him out. He pulls out Amiri which was doing great. Both Taremi and Amiri should play in TM because they are participating active in TM regardless where they are in the pitch. Every body knows Azmoun has gone low since
he is in Robin. I didn't like our lineups against Morocco. I Liked the start lineups against Spain except Ansarifard. I thought Jahanbakhsh was better.
I didn't like the substitutions. Azmoun should have been substituted for Gucci.
I will appreciate if one of you who claim to know so much about football explain why Jahanbakhsh scores so many goals in Holland but not in TM.
Yesterdays game showed one thing to me and that is CQ is able to optimalise TM in defense but not in offense.

IEI

Administrator
Staff member
Nov 10, 2002
You have to provide chances for your forward, how many chances we had throughout the game ? 2

Saeedb

Bench Warmer
Jul 7, 2003
انجا که امیری به یارو لایی زد توپ را سانتر کرد طارمی با سر زد ولی گل نشد درست بود سردار بزنه که کنارش بود. تو بازی با اسپانیا چند تا گل میشه زد؟ چند تا موقعیت می شه ساخت؟

oghabealborz

Elite Member
Feb 18, 2005
Strawberry field
I don't get all Azmoun bashing. He shouldn't play 90 minutes but not much he could have done other than winning battles and pressing in CQ ultra-defensive system. Leave the kid alone baba. He is the best since Daei. End of story. Look at his stats.
Azmoon ran nearly 10 km and won many balls in defence and also won about 7or 8 headers, he didn't get any chance in the box, credit to Taremi as well for getting into the box and attacking the ball, he was just a bit off with timing his jump to head the ball downward and went underneath the ball a bit and it went over the bar, I think Azmoon would have hit the target.

It's really bad sportsmanship to criticise Sardar, he has been working very hard, it just happens that our opponents are very strong and our team plays defensive and he doesn't get a good service and has been told to pull back and help the defense.
I don't like that as we would have no target man to aim for once we have the ball.

Last edited:
Nov 29, 2002
Azmoun did his job perfectly. he won the aerial battles and hustled. Running short of 10k - he wasn't exactly shirking his responsibility, i saw in the stadium how much he fought and defended from the front. People can post clips of him getting a little exhausted towards the end but you can't blame him from getting physically tired.

there is literally no grounds to criticise him in the current system that we need to play to maximise our chances of getting points from this group. He must start against Portugal unless he is tired, and I'm sure he will. we have no other striker anywhere near him.

Finally

Elite Member
Oct 18, 2002
I don't bash Azmoun but rather CQ when he sees Azmoun is ineffective he should take him out. He pulls out Amiri which was doing great. Both Taremi and Amiri should play in TM because they are participating active in TM regardless where they are in the pitch. Every body knows Azmoun has gone low since
he is in Robin. I didn't like our lineups against Morocco. I Liked the start lineups against Spain except Ansarifard. I thought Jahanbakhsh was better.
I didn't like the substitutions. Azmoun should have been substituted for Gucci.
I will appreciate if one of you who claim to know so much about football explain why Jahanbakhsh scores so many goals in Holland but not in TM.
Yesterdays game showed one thing to me and that is CQ is able to optimalise TM in defense but not in offense.
Watch this interview with Spanish football expert/analyst at minutes 3:15 where he says that Spanish players were all talking about Sardar Azmoun after the game: