Why West and Media Are So Quiet Comparatively?

The_Referee

National Team Player
Mar 26, 2005
Jabolqa Opposite Jabolsa
First and foremost, thanks for terrific efforts guys for covering the news about Red Ashoura of Iran.

Secondly, my intention of posting this thread is to seek your ideas about why West and Western media are not as supportive as they ought to be. I am not sure, but to me they seem to be too quite and sounds like the limited coverage in their non-Persian services has some reasons. For example, were they this quite about Ukraine, Georgia and many other similar events?

My guess is that they are too focused on nuclear issue. They know a green government with the full support of Iranian people might not be willing to give up nuclear rights of people and will disarm them from the excuses they have now in pressing with nuclear affairs, i.e. saying this government is not to be trusted etc. If my guess is right, they are so foolish in this. A green government will be their friends but also protective of Iranian basic sovereignty and rights. I think they are too focused on Israel and nuclear issue to think clearly.

I know that there is an element of not trying to support Iranian green openly. But that we are way past it. Everyone knows IRI will use the lame excuse of DOSHMAN (which makes KR so HASHARI when he says it) to crush people anyhow.

What do you think guys?

RoozbehAzadi

National Team Player
Nov 19, 2002
I agree and disagree. I think they're too focused on the nuclear issue but at the same time it's not so complicated that they're worried about a secular Iran continuing the nuclear program. Instead it's more a case of not taking the movement seriously, and thinking that the government can easily put it down or that it's not a big segment of the population that's against the regime. Plus add to that the fact that the IRI basically kicked them all out of Iran, thus making independent reporting difficult, they can't necessarily rely on the accounts of those who are demonstrating or the government, since they're each biased in separate ways.

My guess is that this will change as the movement gathers pace and grows in size. If Mousavi or Karroubi are arrested, if Artesh joins the people, if Poop is impeached or forced to resign, these types of events will get more attention. But for now they're probably not sure if this is the real thing or not.

Jun 18, 2005
I do not know man. I mean what do you actually expect?

Yesterday's events in Iran are the top story on the Internet news sites.

CNN covered Iran in great detail tonight. They had a piece on Neda and discussed the situation with various Iranian guests.

I just wanted to thank Reza Sayah and the CNN news crew for trying their best to cover Iran's events. They did a great job tonight.

Dec 12, 2002
usa
corporations run america and multi-national companies run the world .for just a little furking oil and gas and stabilties in persian gulf they try to play ignorance game .
those same corporations have destroyed american's economy .

anoush

Bench Warmer
Aug 14, 2004
in britain at least i know that the regime in Iran is perceived to be heavily 'dug in', so to speak, in the same way as perhaps Saddam's regime was and Kim Jong Il's is now. The green movement is seen as fragmented and without a figurehead.

But usually the case is that if there aren't British/european /american loss of life or injury its not worthy of headline news. For example a gun massacre that kills 10 people in an american school or shopping mall would immediately be headline news on the bbc, whereas 10 people dying in political protests in iran will only perhaps be the 2nd or 3rd item.

Jun 9, 2004
Canada
Referee jaan foreign journalists are banned from reporting the events in Iran. I'm surprised they even give as much coverage as they do. We have to appreciate that any decent new organization needs to confirm the news before they broadcast or publish it. As such and unlike us, they can not simply rely on Twitters or other Iranian sources for news that can not be independantly verified. I don't know if you've noticed but even the largest news outlests, like AP, REuters and AFP, often publish the news out of other offices outtide Iran, often in Egypt or Lebanon.

oghabealborz

Elite Member
Feb 18, 2005
Strawberry field
Back in 1978 the whole of western media was like khomeyni's personal advertising campaign , I was in England then and the first 10 minutes of every news bulletin be it news at 5.45 or BBC's 9 o'clock news or the ITV's news at 10 ... it looked like a combined effort by all to topple the regime back then , as a young and naive 18 year old it looked very fishy to me ...

May 9, 2004
مهمترین چیز برای غرب منافع غرب است
حالا اگر صدها ایرانی کشته شوند باز غرب ساکت خواهد بود
اگر یک رهبری که از منافع غرب دفاع می کرد جنبش را رهبری می کرد حتما غرب دخالت می کرد
ولی الان غرب منفعتی جز اشوب بیشتر در منظقه برای خودش نمی بیند
فکر نکنید غرب دلش برای ملت ایران می سوزد
مگرچین صدها تظاهر کننده را چند ماه پیش به قتل نرساند ! غرب چه کرد ؟؟
هیچ
اوباما بعد از ان کشتار به چین رفت و اظهار امیدواری کرد که روابط دو کشور بیش از پیش صمیمی تر خواهد شد !!ا

بله جانم

Oldman

Bench Warmer
Jan 6, 2005
Ba dorood:

Western media is under influnce of their government although there is freedom of press!!

An Iran with a nationalist government is worse than Algaedeh and Taliban for West.

That is what I beleive in.

The_Referee

National Team Player
Mar 26, 2005
Jabolqa Opposite Jabolsa
Thanks guys for the input.
I really wanted to check myself against any bias and prejudice. That is why I wanted to hear all your inputs.

I think Bi-Honar brought a good point that the media are not allowed to report. However, still, I think, as in cohesion with many of you who posted here, the media has no incentive in supporting green. Similar instances get much bigger coverage despite similar bans. I can not think of examples right now but in back of my mind far less important and dramatic stories are covered far more by Western media.

I think they are still dillusional about a nuclear threat by Iran, whoever in charge. And that is far more important to them in any way than democracy for Iran. They do not mind us under oppression as they do not mind, say Saudi Arabia, until we do not pose any supposed threat to Israel or their interests. Unfortunately, AN plays that hypocracy card in his interviews again and again. My blood boils when he does it and I hate to see how right he is in what he says about Western hypocracy but how wrong and oppotunistic this monkey is in conclusions.

That is why I think we are alone on our own against this IRI thughs. But then again, we might be on our own but we are MANY and STRONG. So go freedom, peace and justice seeking Iranians. I wish we could do more than what we are able to offer to ease this great pain of our people.

Jun 7, 2004
Back in 1978 the whole of western media was like khomeyni's personal advertising campaign , I was in England then and the first 10 minutes of every news bulletin be it news at 5.45 or BBC's 9 o'clock news or the ITV's news at 10 ... it looked like a combined effort by all to topple the regime back then , as a young and naive 18 year old it looked very fishy to me ...
Absolutely. No doubt that the entire western media was working over time to support the revolution against the Shah. There is simply no comparison between their coverage of the 79 uprising and this one.

artavile

IPL Player
Oct 18, 2002
MD, USA
The difference in coverage (or lack thereof ) is actually encouraging, it means we are on the right track this time to really experience freedom and democracy. And we will be beacon of hope for many other nations in our neighborhood facing similar challenges....and I think that's what frightens the West and the so-called, free world.

p.s., we do not need anyone's help/support, just stay the hell away and let our people will take care of the internal business.

Niloufar

Football Legend
Oct 19, 2002
First and foremost, thanks for terrific efforts guys for covering the news about Red Ashoura of Iran.

Secondly, my intention of posting this thread is to seek your ideas about why West and Western media are not as supportive as they ought to be. I am not sure, but to me they seem to be too quite and sounds like the limited coverage in their non-Persian services has some reasons. For example, were they this quite about Ukraine, Georgia and many other similar events?

My guess is that they are too focused on nuclear issue. They know a green government with the full support of Iranian people might not be willing to give up nuclear rights of people and will disarm them from the excuses they have now in pressing with nuclear affairs, i.e. saying this government is not to be trusted etc. If my guess is right, they are so foolish in this. A green government will be their friends but also protective of Iranian basic sovereignty and rights. I think they are too focused on Israel and nuclear issue to think clearly.

I know that there is an element of not trying to support Iranian green openly. But that we are way past it. Everyone knows IRI will use the lame excuse of DOSHMAN (which makes KR so HASHARI when he says it) to crush people anyhow.

What do you think guys?
Referee jan,

great question, but western powers cant possibly doubt IR's ill-intentions regarding Nuclear power. IR's constant Nuclear transfer with N.Korea and Russia, and their terrorist activities throughout region(including close ties with Yemen rebels, and this recent Nigerian man who was so close to blow up Delta Airline), its almost definitely decided by western powers that IR has to go.
IR's dangers simply outweighs its benefits to Western countries now.

The real reason why these countries are all of a sudden so quiet now, is bc they r "MAKING DEALS" with IR officials, to host likes of Khamenei, AN, Rafs, Sepah commanders, other top officials in London, Washington,Zurich, Moscow, etc in return for these murderers' "Trillions of Dollars" off our country's budget/oil $ to be invested in these countries' banks.

At least Germany's news broadcasting was honest enough to mention that "Khamenei and other IR officials are leaving Iran for Western countries in the past 2 days".

Its pretty sad, but the same western countries which supported IR for 30 yrs regardless of their brutalities, they'll now host IR's top officials simply bc these officials have sooo much $ in their hands and these countries' banks need this loads of money so much during this recession period. :5: