Will Thiery Henry Be Punished by FIFA?

Davar

Ball Boy
Jun 8, 2005
I predict that FIFA will come down hard on Henry for cheating and committing a blatant handball that directly led to France's goal in the first OT period, which allowed France to advance to the WC. Henry clearly stopped the ball with his hand about 1 yard from the goal line of Ireland, then passed the ball with his feet to Gallas who scored with a header. TV replays show this to be the case 100%.

If I were on the FIFA committee ruling on this issue, I would vote to ban Henry from France's first 3 matches of WC2010. After all, his cheating action knocked another country out of the WC. I have been a big fan of Henry, but that is the minimum punishment he deserves, and FIFA needs to send a strong message that such conduct will not be tolerated in WC2010.

What do you all think?

Last edited:
Jun 18, 2005
comon man, no matter how much he cheated (I agree, it was a cheated goal 100%), wishing someone a broken leg goes too far.
And breaking the hearts of millions of Irish fans by this low life cheater somehow is not any worse in your book!

Henry should receive a ban from the world cup in my opinion. :mad:

Behrooz_C

Elite Member
Dec 10, 2005
A small island west of Africa
It won't happen. Platini will pull some strings and he has a lot of friends in FIFA.

But other than that, it was an instinctive reaction at the heat of the moment.

Besides, the score was 1-1 on aggregate at that time and there is no telling if the Irish would go through. Furthermore, the French were the better team over two legs. In this game alone they had 16 shots on goal compared to 6 by the Irish.

Don't get me wrong, I wanted Ireland to win but I think the better team over two legs went through.

eshghi

News Team
Oct 18, 2002
San Diego, CA
As much as I have always liked Henry, IF it is decided that this was in fact intentional, I too hope they take strong action just to send a message to others.

Davar

Ball Boy
Jun 8, 2005
What did FIFA do for Maradona's hand ? That's it France qualified
FIFA can NOT impose such a ban simply because there is no law saying that an intentional handball should get such a punishment!
Maradona's handball was long ago in 1986 when they just did not do anything to offending players. However, in recent years FIFA (and UEFA) have taken action against a player who committed a foul that was not seen by the Referee during the game. What FIFA cannot do is to disallow the goal or nullify the result (or other such action), but they can take action against players after the fact.

Jul 28, 2007
dude...come on...seriously??

I don't even wish a Madrid player a broken leg...
Mahdi joon,
You know, I'm a Barca fan and I used to love Henry...up to tonight. What he did was absolutely intentional and disgusting. (and so un-barca)
I stick to my wish, for the first time as a fan, I do hope he breaks his leg and miss the world cup. I still have a head ache. (May be that's because of the beers...:) dass weiss ich nicht, meine freund.

westwienmaskulin

News Team, ISP Managers Team, ISP Podcast Team
Oct 18, 2002
Av. Aristide Maillol, BCN
Mahdi joon,
You know, I'm a Barca fan and I used to love Henry...up to tonight. What he did was absolutely intentional and disgusting. (and so un-barca)
I stick to my wish, for the first time as a fan, I do hope he breaks his leg and miss the world cup. I still have a head ache. (May be that's because of the beers...:) dass weiss ich nicht, meine freund.

well, it was low and he shouldn't have done it, specially as he wouldn't have needed it but a broken leg is some serious shit man...

What I hope for is that they get Algeria and Algeria get one over them...now that would be some fine shit...but broken leg? come on man..seriously...I guess you didn't wish maradona a broken leg back then either, did you?

I guess it's the beer though..

Jul 28, 2007
well, it was low and he shouldn't have done it, specially as he wouldn't have needed it but a broken leg is some serious shit man...

What I hope for is that they get Algeria and Algeria get one over them...now that would be some fine shit...but broken leg? come on man..seriously...I guess you didn't wish maradona a broken leg back then either, did you?

I guess it's the beer though..
LOL.
Algeria scenario would be epic and fantastic. Ok in that case, I change my wish. :)
nah, for Maradano I loved it to death!! (hypocracy, may be, but that was God cheating...I mean you don't compare Henry to Diego...whatever Diego does is right...he's always right....what did he do by the way!?)

westwienmaskulin

News Team, ISP Managers Team, ISP Podcast Team
Oct 18, 2002
Av. Aristide Maillol, BCN
LOL.
Algeria scenario would be epic and fantastic. Ok in that case, I change my wish. :)
nah, for Maradano I loved it to death!! (hypocracy, may be, but that was God cheating...I mean you don't compare Henry to Diego...whatever Diego does is right...he's always right....what did he do by the way!?)

LOOOOOOOOOOL! :D

BijanD

Bench Warmer
Oct 9, 2004
Vancouver
off the top my head, i can remember 2 cases where a handball was punished after the game. Raul, several years ago in champions league and messi in la liga a few years ago. I really like henry but didn't like to see that.