Windows 7

houman

Bench Warmer
Oct 14, 2004
Dallas, TX
I've read a lot of positive feedback about 7 rc. Has anyone installed a copy? I wanna give it a shot, not sure to upgrade my current vista or just do a clean install on another partition? any recs?

Niloufar

Football Legend
Oct 19, 2002
Ive read diff reviews on Windows 7 vs Vista comparison, and whether its worth it to upgrade to Windows 7. + thinking about getting back-up of all data/files(which Ive done recently!) and installing all softwares/applications again(if they are all compatible with Windows 7 to begin with!!), just makes me think twice before upgrading.

houman

Bench Warmer
Oct 14, 2004
Dallas, TX
Thanks. Yeah ideally I wouldn't use a beta as my primary OS, but the current version is a release candidate, and from what I've read it's very much stable. But you're absolutely right about upgrade though, when 7 goes public, upgrading from RC might become an issue and a headache.

houman

Bench Warmer
Oct 14, 2004
Dallas, TX
Ive read diff reviews on Windows 7 vs Vista comparison, and whether its worth it to upgrade to Windows 7. + thinking about getting back-up of all data/files(which Ive done recently!) and installing all softwares/applications again(if they are all compatible with Windows 7 to begin with!!), just makes me think twice before upgrading.
Not sure about software, but as far as hardware compatibility goes, Microsoft has gone out of their way to make sure Windows 7 will be compatible with majority of the hardware out there, which was one of the issues with Vista upgrade. Reading all sorts of reviews and comparison charts, there has been nothing but praise for 7, from the UI to speed.

I'm sure esamani will drop by this thread and make a comment or two.

ChaharMahal

Elite Member
Oct 18, 2002
I have been running it for three month now. many new features. many will only be relevant to consumers and some only to enterprise.

anyhow.
as for software compatbility. anything that works on vista should work on windows 7 as well.

the same goes true for device drivers. as a general rule any device that works with windows vista should also be compatible with windows 7.

I strongly suggest to most of you install the X64 edition. not only you can have more than 4 Gig of memory. but you will also get the added advantage of running applications natively in 64 bit mode. thus far all the tests i have seen point that a 64 bit on average runs 11% faster than the x86 version of it.

the big news is that microsoft is release office 14 in 2010 in boh 64 bit and 32 bit native format. this way office will no longer run under WOW64 (32bit emulation under 64bit).

overall I would defenitely recommend it. but let me say this. if you have waited this long then there is no point to install it now. RTM will be out in about three month. you might as well wait that time.

I am running it myself. my office coworkers are running on about ten machines. things have gone very smooth.

Niloufar

Football Legend
Oct 19, 2002
I have been running it for three month now. many new features. many will only be relevant to consumers and some only to enterprise.

anyhow.
as for software compatbility. anything that works on vista should work on windows 7 as well.

the same goes true for device drivers. as a general rule any device that works with windows vista should also be compatible with windows 7.

I strongly suggest to most of you install the X64 edition. not only you can have more than 4 Gig of memory. but you will also get the added advantage of running applications natively in 64 bit mode. thus far all the tests i have seen point that a 64 bit on average runs 11% faster than the x86 version of it.

the big news is that microsoft is release office 14 in 2010 in boh 64 bit and 32 bit native format. this way office will no longer run under WOW64 (32bit emulation under 64bit).

overall I would defenitely recommend it. but let me say this. if you have waited this long then there is no point to install it now. RTM will be out in about three month. you might as well wait that time.

I am running it myself. my office coworkers are running on about ten machines. things have gone very smooth.
thanx for ur input Ehsan jan, so all in all is the UI and speed that much improved compare to Vista to upgrade? my laptop(Intel dual core 2 GB RAM) had Vista preinstalled, so..

ChaharMahal

Elite Member
Oct 18, 2002
yes they have put in place many optimizations. most of those optimizations were drawn from telemetery data that was collected from users who turned on their vista feeback on.

search is defenitely much faster.
side by side defrag is nice.
dual monitors on remote desktop.
much improved audio stack.

again, It is very late in the game. I believe it is no longer worth for you to install windows 7 RC. IMHO people should just wait the extra three to four month for Retail edition.

houman

Bench Warmer
Oct 14, 2004
Dallas, TX
Thanks. I'm running vista x 64, with 8 g ram, which is fantastic. My only complaint is that not all softwares can run on 64, case in point Cisco VPN, only runs on 32 bit, for which I gotta use another PC.

irandude

Football Fan
Apr 24, 2009
Vista wasnt a let down, it was perfect if you had the right H/W ... we running it at our office with no problem
X64 with 4gig ram for each machine NOTHING can beat it.
True.. can't fault Vista much as I've got it running near perfect (bezan beh takhte) I've build an awesome Home Theatre PC with it and pretty much drives every entertainment resource in my lounge. I would be lost without it.