Windows Blue

ChaharMahal

Elite Member
Oct 18, 2002
by the way, I have been using windwos 8 for a while.

it is sold as far as drivers and performance is concerned. the UI still needs work to do.

but I think micorosft as always will tweak it enough to make users happy enough.

I think by mid 2014 businesses will consider win8 platform (it maybe next windows at that point) as the standard bear.

microsoft's success is because of predictably.
huge amount of investment in making things power enough but yet still kind of easy enough for non Hardware graduate engineers to get.

look at any other OS (look at linux) see if they have something like msdn. Microsoft spent a shit load of money back in 1995 building that.

documanting every API. having a reasonable sample.

yes microsoft is never gone dominate the world like it did once did.
but hey that was not manageable anyway.

I think one thing microsoft like to have back is the whole idea of trying to be a player online.

they should stock to their core competency.

Oct 18, 2002
704 Houser
I just wanted to add one thing to the discussion. People fundamentally misunderstand what Google is and what it does. Google is the ultimate information age/social age product. They are in the business of collecting, classifying and selling information. Everything google does is intended to control how people access information, from gmail, to their browser, android and even their recent ventures into fiber. Google doesn't care to make programmers happy. That's not what their business is built on. Google looked at firefox and IE and said, that's not good enough. We need something that's faster and safer, just so that people use google's services more frequently and for longer periods. They looked at mobile devices and with the emergence of 3G saw a whole new market for collecting/selling information, so they invested in and later bought android inc. and then developed it further on their own. That didn't make Steve Jobs happy, but the fact remains, google was looking at android long before the Iphone was even released. Google makes Microsoft paranoid because even though google is not in competition with Microsoft, it's unintentionally making Microsoft's whole business model look obsolete. Especially now, with google docs and chrome OS. As an early adapter of google's older services, even I have grown weary of google's attempts to dominate every facet of our digital lives. But, my point is don't compare google to Apple or Microsoft. Oddly enough, the only company that I see as being capable of challenging google in what google actually does is Amazon. That sounds ridiculous because people think of Amazon as an online retailer, but in recent years Amazon's business is shifting more and more towards advertising and information side of things.

ChaharMahal

Elite Member
Oct 18, 2002
I think you got things wrong my friend.
The future of the software is about open source projects that you could easily grow and build. If you don't like it, you will fork it and make it for your own use. That is why .net is not as huge as Microsoft hopes for and that is why it never will. That is why Android is scucessful, open source operating system based on Linux. Now I can give you 100 projects like this:
Firefox, Chrome, Apache, MySql, Linux, Cloud Computing, ... all open source.
The old Microsoft closed source ideology will not work in future.
The huge success of Microsoft in the desktop is due to the fact that it is very hard to replace it because it is famous not because it is good.
Also as I said, Visual Studio is a great tool but don't under-estimate the power of other companies and other open source projects.
Windows is going down in Server and Embedded market. 5 years ago, at least 30 percent of projects were using windows CE, now nobody uses windows on any embedded platform. That is huge market man. Also windows have failed on the tablet.
If I read your post I would have thought that you work for Microsoft, I have been to their few shows, they all talk like that.
I am afraid you don't have the facts correctly. you are correct. Microsoft has lost a huge share in the embedded market. because they did not invest in it.

but I would not say in that front the game is anywhere near finished.

open source project have had considerable success. let's not call Android a legitimate open source project.

as for Microsoft server. you are completely wrong my friend. if anything if you look at it in 1996 Microsoft had windows NT Server 4.0.

look at today's Microsoft server portfolio.
Windows Server 2012.
Sql Server
IIS
Lync Server
Exchange
Share Point.
Their hypervisor

if anything Microsoft's server platform has actually never been more powerful than today.

open source is all nice and dandy. but even open source needs people like red hat.

I think all the major players.

amazon, google, oracle, microsoft, sales force are introducing things that will ensure they will be around for a considerable amount time.

IEI

Administrator
Staff member
Nov 10, 2002
I am afraid you don't have the facts correctly. you are correct. Microsoft has lost a huge share in the embedded market. because they did not invest in it.

but I would not say in that front the game is anywhere near finished.

open source project have had considerable success. let's not call Android a legitimate open source project.

as for Microsoft server. you are completely wrong my friend. if anything if you look at it in 1996 Microsoft had windows NT Server 4.0.

look at today's Microsoft server portfolio.
Windows Server 2012.
Sql Server
IIS
Lync Server
Exchange
Share Point.
Their hypervisor

if anything Microsoft's server platform has actually never been more powerful than today.

open source is all nice and dandy. but even open source needs people like red hat.

I think all the major players.

amazon, google, oracle, microsoft, sales force are introducing things that will ensure they will be around for a considerable amount time.
I just said that as our friend mentioned here .net is not the future of the whole software world.
Microsoft is a big company and will stay like that and I don't have any problem with that but I said that there are other equivalently (if not better) options out there today ...
In any industry (embedded, gaming, server, high performance computing, mobile and ...) you consider, there are other great and most of the time free tools available.
The fact is that you can create a great platform using Microsoft technology or other open source tools ... the choice is yours but the computing world has come a long way.
And you are right, behind every open source project usually is a huge company like Google, IBM, Amazon or ...

Sql Server ---> MySql, PostgreSql, Firebird,
IIS ---> Apache, Ngnix, lightpd
Lync Server ---> red5, Flumotion
Exchange ---> iRedMail (but exchange is great)
Share Point. ---> Alfesco, confluence and ...
Their hypervisor ---> Xen, KVM and ...

you can see how for instance apache and Ngnix is dominating the Internet web servers (65%):
http://news.netcraft.com/
or
http://w3techs.com/technologies/overview/operating_system/all

having said that, Microsoft makes huge money in server market because of expensive licensing.

Last edited:

ChaharMahal

Elite Member
Oct 18, 2002
I just said that as our friend mentioned here .net is not the future of the whole software world.
Microsoft is a big company and will stay like that and I don't have any problem with that but I said that there are other equivalently (if not better) options out there today ...
In any industry (embedded, gaming, server, high performance computing, mobile and ...) you consider, there are other great and most of the time free tools available.
The fact is that you can create a great platform using Microsoft technology or other open source tools ... the choice is yours but the computing world has come a long way.
And you are right, behind every open source project usually is a huge company like Google, IBM, Amazon or ...

Sql Server ---> MySql, PostgreSql, Firebird,
IIS ---> Apache, Ngnix, lightpd
Lync Server ---> red5, Flumotion
Exchange ---> iRedMail (but exchange is great)
Share Point. ---> Alfesco, confluence and ...
Their hypervisor ---> Xen, KVM and ...

you can see how for instance apache and Ngnix is dominating the Internet web servers (65%):
http://news.netcraft.com/
or
http://w3techs.com/technologies/overview/operating_system/all

having said that, Microsoft makes huge money in server market because of expensive licensing.
I have used postgress and MySQL they are truly behind when compared to SQL server.

that said SQL server is not exactly leading the market. it is third to Oracle and DB2. but it has the right mix of power and ease of use.

yes Ngnix is widely used as reverse proxy. normally (to best my knowledge) people use either Apache or IIS.
again not saying others don't have market share. but considering the MS solution is paid solution. is amazing how much their server market has grown.

in fact it is their healthiest business unit.