World Cup 2018 Draw

bardia

Bench Warmer
Oct 18, 2002
همین اسپانیا با کلی قیافه و غرور جام جهانی پیش،۵ تا از هلند خورد ،پشتبندشم ۲ تا از شیلی، تازه قهرمانی دنیا رو هم یدک می کشید ،البته ما نه هلندیم نه شیلی ،ولی باید رفت و جنگید

May 21, 2003
Not The Eshaalic Goozpublic !
when your level of football is in pot C, most draws would seem tough.

forgetting about 1978 (long time a ago), IR got a relatively fair pot in 1998 and not much came out of it.
they got in, probably, the easiest group of 2006 (mexico, angola, portugal) and it was a complete disaster. complete utter crap.

now they have got tougher draws, for the last two world cups.

how is that unfair?

two average draws and two harder (not hardest) draws.

this shit has nothing to do with luck. this is statistics.

having said that, this draw looks pretty tough for the likes of IR. There is a slight chance if Spain and Portugal play to a a draw first game and the islamic republic manages to beat the Moroccans.

If Either Portugal or Spain win, then it is the 'take no prisoner' scenario and IR will be crushed.

They will be hard to beat though and i think that is Queiroz's goal to resist big teams. There is a strong chance that the islamic republic might even lose 0-1 and 0-1 that would be a victory in itself because it will put a smile on the face of carton khaabs and people who lost their families in the earth quake.

May 12, 2007
[video=youtube;gsvBTaWVY_8]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gsvBTaWVY_8[/video]
I know Morocco is not easy but no team in world cup is easy. If we can't prepare to win morocco we can't go to next round regardless in which group we are.

Last edited:
May 12, 2007
همین اسپانیا با کلی قیافه و غرور جام جهانی پیش،۵ تا از هلند خورد ،پشتبندشم ۲ تا از شیلی، تازه قهرمانی دنیا رو هم یدک می کشید ،البته ما نه هلندیم نه شیلی ،ولی باید رفت و جنگید
And US defeated Portogal Nigeria won Spain 3-2 and went to next round in the past.

ME

Elite Member
Nov 2, 2002
Iran will give Morocco a really hard time and won't be surprised if we beat them. Talked with few Moroccans friends who are die hard football fans and they really rate high TM.
The 2 teams are very close. I think I rather TM play against them than Nigeria or any other black team which use their physical advantage.
Morocco had some really good results lately and almost every player they have plays for a European club, some good one. Although I don't know how involved they are in their club games. Our only advantage is in CQ, and that we have a young motivated squad.
Overall the winner of Iran-Morocco has a fair shot to advance as the second team, particularly Moroccans. They killed Portugal in 1986 if you remember. They are not afraid of them.

Fatso

Captain
Oct 1, 2004
Iran will give Morocco a really hard time and won't be surprised if we beat them. Talked with few Moroccans friends who are die hard football fans and they really rate high TM.

I rate Morocco higher than Portugal. To me they're the best African team at the World Cup. They're not afraid of anyone and can cause us a lot of trouble. I really hope our boys don't take them lightly or play with nerves.

Odd thing is my Moroccan friend said he'd rather Iran win?!?!?

Oct 18, 2010
Here is my take and I am not being negative or positive. For me qualifying for World Cup is an accomplishment in itself. Our expectations have to somehow be based on a realistic understanding of our overall talent level, football infrastructure, professional league, and the preparation. Of course the ball is round and anything is possible; however I tend to rely on these parameters as indication of what I could realistically expect to see from TM. I am looking at WC2018 as a chance for us to play 3 games with top quality teams in a competition that matters. That is it. Hopefully we have some nice friendly games, but if recent history is any indication, we most likely will NOT get this wish. I am hoping for a decent showing and hope that some of our talent like Azmoon will get a chance to showcase their talent to the world. That is it.
this defeatist 3rd world mentality is not what the young in iran
have right now.iran is passed that stage but the older iranians
are still living in the past.

Babr

Banned
Nov 24, 2002
Agha Bache, at least for once stop the negativity and let people express their opinion in any way they wish! who gives a damn if Iran wins or not as long as we can have something to look forward to for a while.

Bikhial Baba,
Daghighan!

I don't get this mentality either. No one expect us to go and beat Spain and Portugal, but minimizing what the team is actually about is quite pathetic. As i said i have talked with few Moroccans and they kept saying you have a solid team which can make surprises and some of our own people actually trying to minimizing the team achievement.

I like this team and its spirits more than any other times in WC, even with such a group i am optimist we can at least beat Morocco.

ME

Elite Member
Nov 2, 2002
Daghighan!

I don't get this mentality either. No one expect us to go and beat Spain and Portugal, but minimizing what the team is actually about is quite pathetic. As i said i have talked with few Moroccans and they kept saying you have a solid team which can make surprises and some of our own people actually trying to minimizing the team achievement.

I like this team and its spirits more than any other times in WC, even with such a group i am optimist we can at least beat Morocco.
Our main limitations in the past have been presenting teams at the wC stage that were too old, physically dominated, had no WC experience, and suffered from poor managers and internal conflicts. This time we do not have any of these problems.
If we face a Portugal without CR we have a reasonable chance of advancing. Otherwise we have to perform our maximum and hope events turn in our favor.

Babr

Banned
Nov 24, 2002
Our main limitations in the past have been presenting teams at the wC stage that were too old, physically dominated, had no WC experience, and suffered from poor managers and internal conflicts. This time we do not have any of these problems.
If we face a Portugal without CR we have a reasonable chance of advancing. Otherwise we have to perform our maximum and hope events turn in our favor.
My only concern is lack of enough friendly matches against strong opponents and as result lack of confidence. If we manage to play some solid friendlies such as Holland, France matches and actually manage to do well, it will boost our confidence a lots. our U-17 is the great example.

May 9, 2004
معمولا تیمهای افریقایی مقابل تیمهای اروپایی نتایج خوبی ما اورند
این یک نگاه مختصر به تیمهای شرکت کننده افریقای در جام های جهانی از سال 1982 است
کامرون 0 ایطالیا 0 --ایطالیا قهرمان جام شد
کامرون 1 لهستان 1 -- لهستان سوم جام شد
الجزائر 2 المان 1 -- المان ناظب قهرمان جام شد
جام جهانی 1986
مغرب 0 لهستان 0
مغرب 0 انگلیس 0
مغرب 3 پرتقال 1
مغرب در ان گروه اول شد که سه تیم قدرتمند اروپایی وجود داشت
و در دور بعد تنها با یک گل ان هم دقیقه اخر بازی از المان شکست خورد -- المان نائب قهرمان جام شد
جام جهانی 1990 کامرون 1 رومانی 0 -- رومانی در اوج قدرتش بود کامرون در گورهی که ارژانتین و رومانی و روسیه بود اول شد
به دور یک هشتم راه یافت و در ضربات پنالتی باخت
مصر 1 هلند 1
جام جهانی 1994
کامرون 2 سوئد2
نیجریا 3 بلغارستان 0
نیجریا 2 یونان 0
نیجریا در گروه خودش با بودن ارژانتین اول شد به دور بعد رسید و در وقت اضافی از ایطالیا باخت ایطالیا و برزیل به فینال رسیدند
جام جهانی 1998
مغرب 2 نروژ 2
مغرب 3 اسکاتلند 0
کامرون 1 اتریش 1
افریقای جنوبی 1 دانمارک 1
نیجریا 3 اسپانیا 2
نیجریا 1 بلغارستان 0
تونس 1 رومانی 1
جام جهانی 2002
سنگال 1 فرانسه 0
سنگال 1 دانمارک 1
جنوب افریقا 1 سلووینیا 0
کامرون 1 ایرلند 1
نیجریا 0 انگلیس 0
در دور بعد سنگال 2 سوئد 1 و سنگال به دور یک هشتم راه مییابه
جام جهانی 2006
ساحل عاج 3 صربیا 2
غانا 2 جمهوری چک 0
غانا به دور بعد میرسه
جام جهانی 2010
جنوب افریقا 2 فرانسه 1
الجزائر 1 انگلیس 1
غانا 1 صربیا 0
ساحل عاج 0 پرتقال 0
غانا به دور بعد راه پیدا میکنه و با شکست دادن امریکا به دور یک هشتم نهایی راه میابه
و بعد در ضربات پنالتی از رسیدن به چهار تیم برتر جهان در مقابل اروگوئه محروم میشه
نیجریا 1 بوسنه 0
غانا 2 المان 2
الجزائر 1 روسیه 1
الجزائر به دور بعد راه میابه و در یک بازی نزدیک در وقت اضافی به المان با فرق یک گل می بازد
المان قهرمان جهان میشود
از این نتایج می توان دریافت که تیمهای افریقایی در مقابل تیمهای اروپایی هیچوقت کم نیاورده اند
با شکست دادن تیمهایی مثل المان فرانسه اسپانیا پرتقال
تا چه اندازه تیمهای افریقایی در سطح بالایی قرار دارند
این بار دو تیم بسیار قدرتمند یکی مغرب و دیگری نیجریا هستند که اگر از گروه خودشان صعود کردند مایه تعجب نیست

TeamMeli

Elite Member
Feb 5, 2014
Las Vegas, NV
I rate Morocco higher than Portugal. To me they're the best African team at the World Cup. They're not afraid of anyone and can cause us a lot of trouble. I really hope our boys don't take them lightly or play with nerves.

I don't know about rating them higher than Portugal, that is a bit of a stretch because Portugal still won the Euros. I know they had the easy road compared to France who had to go through Germany BUT they still won. As for strongest African team I think it is a toss up between Morocco and Nigeria. The Super Eagles also have a very strong defensive team and their stars play in the EPL. It is really like saying 1A and 1B in this situation. I also believe that you can add Egypt into the mix as strongest African teams, they are solid and have Euro based players. As for Morocco a tie will not do. It is going to be very tough and Iran and Morocco are pretty much EVEN in my book Iran ranked #38, Morocco #40. That is about as even of a match up you can get but we have to get the three points. The winner of Iran Morocco will have a small chance of qualifying to the second round.

This is just a joke, why do I have Rocky 4 in my head right now? "Throw the towel,throw the towel, throw the dam towel!" Iran = Appolo Creed vs Ivan Drago. Drago, 'If he dies, he dies!"
[video=youtube;TfAYz6p-mlw]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TfAYz6p-mlw[/video]

ME

Elite Member
Nov 2, 2002
My only concern is lack of enough friendly matches against strong opponents and as result lack of confidence. If we manage to play some solid friendlies such as Holland, France matches and actually manage to do well, it will boost our confidence a lots. our U-17 is the great example.
I agree but I also think IFF will do a little better this time. We advanced early enough this time for Iranians to have enough time to stop celebrating and start some planning (we still cherish "hemaseh ye Melbourne" for gods sake!).

On a separate note, group B is not as bad, if we advance we face a fair 1/16 team no matter who comes out of group A!

Mahdi

Elite Member
Jan 1, 1970
Mjunik

C'mon now!! They are alright but how do you rate them higher than Portugal? Portugal are European Champions with a pretty decent squad. Morocco is far behind them in anything.

Mahdi

Elite Member
Jan 1, 1970
Mjunik
We got one of the worst draws we could get but on the other hand the draw allows us to play the football we're best at in all 3 games and switch very quickly from defense to attack, leave the opponent with the ball and all that. I also rather go out playing against 3 good teams than against 1 good team and 2 shitty ones. So bring it on! We have been preparing for this for a time and our squad should have enough depth and quality to play 3 games and compete against them.
The draw is whatever it is. Rather this group than the group Saudi Arabia is in, though we would have definitely made it from that group.

Fatso

Captain
Oct 1, 2004
C'mon now!! They are alright but how do you rate them higher than Portugal? Portugal are European Champions with a pretty decent squad. Morocco is far behind them in anything.

I know I know... I sound insane, but I just don't think Portugal's system works great against teams like morocco and Iran. Portugal became champions, adapting a style they believed would help them against superior teams... especially teams that love to attack.
I don't really know what their system will do against a team like Iran or Morocco.

I think I've cursed it now though. Just watch them whoop us 3-0!

Niloufar

Football Legend
Oct 19, 2002
I agree but I also think IFF will do a little better this time. We advanced early enough this time for Iranians to have enough time to stop celebrating and start some planning (we still cherish "hemaseh ye Melbourne" for gods sake!).

On a separate note, group B is not as bad, if we advance we face a fair 1/16 team no matter who comes out of group A!
I really hope ur right, but their actions so far prove otherwise Hamid jan.

So far, they have only arranged friendlies against Iran's political allies(Venezuela, Togo, Russia). While we qualified way ahead of other Asian teams, and Saudi/Japan/S.Korea have already played likes of Brazil, Belgium,etc in the past few months.

Also, IFF has spent the entire FIFA's money on themselves(as CQ mentioned). And as soon as CQ mentioned that, they fined him and he got banned from interviewing Iranian media for couple of weeks.

From the way things are, I think we'll continue to play likes of Syria, Albania,etc before the games and just hope for the best during the games..:(