World Cup can trigger change for Asian football

ABall

Bench Warmer
Jun 15, 2006
whoknowwwws?
It might be a bit premature to say this, but I believe the 2010 WC could be the impetus for change in Asian soccer. We have four qualifying countries, three from the far east and one that wasn't a member of the AFC only four years ago -- this is the first red flag. Among these far eastern countries we have had two respectable performances by South Korea and Japan, an unfavorable match-up to be had by North Korea tomorrow and then of course there is that total disassembling Australia.

If three of these four nations flop during the World Cup, I would be willing to say that combined with the poor performances of '06 (Iran, Japan, South Korea, Saudi Arabia all flopping out of the first round...the Saudi's in particularly piss poor fashion), a major red flag will be raised towards the development of the game on the Asian continent, particularly in the Middle East which seems to be lagging even further behind than the rest of the continent. And thats saying alot considering that the Asian conference is probably the least advanced of the five major conferences.

I'm not sure when this Bin Hammam character will be out of office, but if the WC could make sure he never comes back I wouldn't oppose. The AFC is too concerned with where to host games and coming up with random cups to win to ever help the growth of the beautiful game in its nations. I understand that we have outside factors going against us in some Muslim nations as well, but if you look at the United States and its growth with the game, you can see how soccer fought the cultural obstacles that it faced in the sporting establishments preference toward baseball, basketball and football (which often equaled almost an outright resentment of soccer).

Ultimately, I think the lesson to be learned from the United States' soccer growth applies to Asia. It doesn't matter what facilities you build for the current generation of players -- they aren't the future, as odd as that seems. What matters is the improvement of facilities -- basic facilities -- for the youth of Asia. Just a field. Just a regulation ball will help a nation like Iran develop better footballers, not the little small ones all over Tehran.

When you foster the development of soccer at the youth level, you also evade the establishment's political and cultural wrath. What semi-reasonable government has the capital to deny its youth a well groomed field? What establishment has the capital to deny its youth a regulation sized ball for children of such an age?

I know it is a long strict of logic to follow, but if the failures of Asian teams at World Cup could trigger a refocus of AFC priorities from the development of existing leagues and facilities to an emphasis on improving the grassroots foundation of Asian soccer -- I think the dividends will be seen within the next decade or two. We all have seen the power of grassroots mobilization in mass thoughout various fields -- soccer will be no different.

Sep 25, 2005
hopefully it all turns out for the best for asian football, its seriously needs a lift.

regarding world cup spots, i just think its BS how north america with only 10-12 competitors gets 3 and a half spots while the biggest continent with the most countries get only one sport more!

south america is an exception because those team can play.