Would you fight for the U.S. Army against Iran?

Would you fight for the USA against Iran?

• No- I don't want military action to be taken against Iran

Votes: 59 74.7%
  • No-I want military action to be taken against Iran but I am too comfortable where I am

Votes: 4 5.1%
  • Yes

Votes: 16 20.3%

• Total voters

Faran

Bench Warmer
Jan 4, 2007
USA
I read the following by aghaye foreveriranian (That thread was about one group, whose name I shouldn't repeat, who said they would to in another thread, and I hope he doesn't mind if I quote him:

vali door naro half of ISP members want the same, look at threads opened and the polls.
Would those members who indicated that they would like to see military action against Iran, or US sphere of influence, or whatever you see or want, be willing to fight for the United States of America as soldiers in this conflict? Or would you prefer to let the Americans and Iranians back home fight it out while you live abroad and enjoy the benefits, whatever you envision them being, afterwards?

Please vote honestly! and thank you! :)

Last edited:

Cia

Bench Warmer
Sep 26, 2004
Canberra
I've got to be honest, I'm really uncomfortable with this question.
On the one hand Iran is my country and of course I'd want no outsider to intervene especially militarily. Particularly when I see what's happened in Iraq...
But then again the IR is harming Iran more than any foreign power could, and without foreign interference I don't see them losing power any time soon.
I really don't know where I stand on this issue, but either way I would not participate in military action.

Faran

Bench Warmer
Jan 4, 2007
USA
But then again the IR is harming Iran more than any foreign power could, and without foreign interference I don't see them losing power any time soon.
I disagree because it is my personal belief that, based on history, that IR can fade away but that any foreign invasion will revive support of it. Life is much worse when the person in the house next door to you would be ready and willing to participate in your lynching than when the laws are against you but you enjoy solidarity in protest with your neighbors. I believe this regime would disappear rapidly if there was zero threat posed by the United States, all that keeps it alive is the idea that subversive action would open the doors to foreign sphere of influence.

Thus, I believe that even not considering the fact that war would cost tens of thousands of lives and infrastructure, and that any foriegnly originating establishment would fail to make provisions for Iran once it's oil runs out, military action against Iran by powerful countries in Europe and North America would be a national disaster for Iran.

Alot of people contend that quality of life was better in the Pahlavi era, but I would contend that history shows that the Islamic Revolution was a consequence of the Pahlavi Era, so the two are inseperable. You can't wish that the Pahlavi era never ended because it was always going to produce what we have now- it would be like wishing that a child would stay a child forever.

I actually don't believe quality of life was better because the general populace was a lot more messed up. My father once loaned his car to a guy whose wife was in labour so that he could take her to the hospital. He found the car later (I won't go into what the guy had against my father but it was due to radical Islamic bias) in front of his house, set ablaze. Regardless of what the government officials wear around their heads and say and do, at least that probably wouldn't happen in Iran today. Because the population is more intellectual, it will gradually dissolve this regime. History shows that the intellect of a population can outgrow its rulers and chase them away. A good example is that of the French Revolution, when commoners who had attained Bourgeoisie status were able to intellectually challenge the aristocracy.

Reform is important. It started under Khatami. Maybe Khatami was as terrible as any of them or maybe he wasn't (akhe mardoom as ye taraf migan gholasho anjam nadad az ye tarafe dige migan rais jomhoore Iran hich ghodrate khasi nadare!), but the progress was occurring (for whatever reason).

It is also important to consider that the population of Iran, the general population, is against IR, but not willing to endure war for IR to be gotten rid of. If the general population of Iran doesn't want war to get rid of IR, wouldn't it be selfish of somebody to choose for it to happen, ESPECIALLY when they are living outside of Iran and don't personally have to endure Mullah's rule (or any war to get rid of it)? Unless their consideration is for US national security or anything of the like.

Faran

Bench Warmer
Jan 4, 2007
USA
everyone vote YES as a joke! i know i did!
I gather I had a right to present this discussion in this particular forum. Because the poll is made in the interest of rhetoric rather than gathering accurate statistics, I am not bothered if this is what members decide to do, while I would have been happier if you had allowed us to see accurate results as well.

Behrooz_C

Elite Member
Dec 10, 2005
A small island west of Africa
The question being asked and the 3 choice answers don't match. It's one thing to want to physically go fight FOR another country against Iran and it's another to want military action taken against Iran. 2 very different things.

For the record I am negative for both.

Cia

Bench Warmer
Sep 26, 2004
Canberra
I'm not quite sure what that means, was I not supposed to make a post like this here? or are you just saying?
I just meant thinking about the answer to this question makes me feel uncomfortable, because it challenges my principles.

You make some good points, though I don't buy the "people being more aware now", or that the Pahlavi regime was always going to lead to IR etc.

Messi

IPL Player
Mar 14, 2007
I don't want to be narrow minded, and no offense to Faran, but this question is just pathetic, how ever much you hate IR, but an Iranian fighting against Iran?
Whoever votes yes simply isn't an Iranian at heart.
Anyway are the neo-cons any better than IR? :)

Makaveli

IPL Player
Jan 28, 2006
hell no im not about to die for this country. most Iranian-Americans are pretty loyal citizens but I guarantee you if the slightest conflict breaks out they'll be at IR's door asking for spying jobs against America

Faran

Bench Warmer
Jan 4, 2007
USA
no offense to Faran
No offense was taken, and I admire your restraint given that I think you misunderstood my poll. I was posing a rhetorical question. I tend to feel dirty when I talk politics, however I am extremely disappointed when Iranians say that they would like to see military action taken against our country, as I am disappointed with anybody who thinks war is the answer.

A study of geography and history indicates that what we have in the present is a consequence of the actions of all of us. Therefore, in any conflict there is no good side and bad side. Even in conflicts like WWII and the American Revolution, which are generally considered the typification of "good fights" there was not a right side and wrong side. In WWII, the Soviet gulags resembled Nazi concentration camps. The American revolution caused the abolition of slavery in the area of the USA to be retarded by 83 years, and harsher policies implemented against the Indians. So the point is, war never has a good and a bad side and only under extreme circumstances, like when genocide is being committed, is it justified or necessary (especially in the age of information).

But some Iranians would unfortunately like to see military action taken against our country. I fear they are thinking often of small issues like personal business interests or are emotional over the social restrictions in place when they make their vacation trips to Iran. If they are concerned about Iran's failing economy, or the suffering of political prisoners-then they should do some serious studying and reading before taking it upon themselves to decide that such a war's effects would not devastate the country for the rest of the century and also not cost more lives than the Mullahs expend at the gallows.

Objectively, no matter how hard it would be for them to kill Iranian soldiers, they should be willing to do it if they have Iran's interests and not their own in mind. So you see, I am being rhetorical, like when Michael Moore asked Bill O'Reilly if he would sacrifice his child to secure Fallujah.

Jun 18, 2005
Well if there is a war with Iran, then I am sure they are going to bring back the draft so losers like me who are registered with Selective Service would have no choice but fighting the war.

This has been a big dilemma for me. Like one day they called me to go to the local Marines office and have a chat and it just did not feel right.

I mean even right now they pay very good money to folks who could translate Farsi for the army. I am sure there are some hamvatans who are doing that right now. So in some ways thats being or doing something against your own country.

mashtnaghi

National Team Player
Oct 18, 2002
In the event of a war, even the US Military would be cautious, in not opposed, to using Iranians in a war against Iran. Just ask yourself why and you will have the answer to your own question.

anoush

Bench Warmer
Aug 14, 2004
If you wanted to fight for your country that badly, it would be far more useful doing terrorist activity on actual american soil than going and getting yourself killed in a pitched battle on tehrans streets whilst you are getting your face lenged off by some US marine.

think about that one...

pansari

Bench Warmer
May 24, 2006
This is absurd !

Firstly why do we need a nation half way around the world which doesn't understand our culture and way of life come teach us democracy ! This is one of the main problems in Iraq now ! Secondly who are the American's to teach others on democracy, implementing their wayward political system on another country would be unfair. Democracy in the US is far from perfect. I am very firm on this idea, the IR and shah are from the same pile of crap, if change is to happen it must come from within, not from outside, we do not need to go from theological regime to a puppet regime.

azaad2004

Bench Warmer
Jul 29, 2005
after today's 4-0 loss, yes I would. :gun:

at least with americans in charge, we can get a good foreign coach.