Would you rather...

Jul 5, 2008
Melbourne
Would you rather...

Spend your life, finishing your education, working a 9 to 5 job, have a family, a mortgage and spend your life the old fashion way.

Or

Spend your life travelling the world, working here and there and see everything, do everything you have ever wanted at the prime of your life.

I find the perception of that ideology "get married, have children, buy a house and work" so dull, yet so implanted into society that if anyone actually does anything different they are seen as insane. Me and my girlfriend of nearly 4 years both don't want children, (sure we are both still only 23, and the idea of having children is to early) but the actual idea of children does not interest us. And personally the older i get, the more i cringe to the idea of becoming a father. I want to be able to work, travel and spend as much time travelling and experiencing different countries as possible, whenever i want. Without having the obligations of a child, i know that maybe in a couple of years my thoughts on how i want to spend my life might change.

Many of my friends, are currently spending their lives travelling across the world, some have been travelling for the past 2-3 years now. Hiking in the himalayas, living in Mexico, studying in Canada, driving through Europe and USA. Some even doing charity work in African countries.

Sometimes it gets depressing to just sit on facebook and see all the updates from all your close friends and the way they are spending their lives, while your busy living up to the ideology of society. Specially coming from a persian family i am sure many of you know the pressure that we go through in terms of "you have to study to become somebody in society". I completely understand that notion though, as a parent they only want the best for their children, specially families who specifically left Iran to give their children all the opportunities in life.

I guess it could be my pre-graduation nerves kicking in, but a little voice in my head is telling me with quite a confident tone as if he knows that once i graduate thats it. I begin my 9 to 5 job, move out and buy a house. And then i am stuck, i have entered the norm of how the majority of society lives. At the end of the day, why else did i study for 5 years to gain a respectable job in society? I have to work 9 to 5, Monday to Friday, be a good husband/father and provide and attend mehmonis every Saturday night with the family for choleh kebab/gheymeh, where everyone can tell you how proud they are of you for becoming a lawyer. While deep inside, all you can think about is the next 40 years of your life doing the same repetitive crap week in, week out. Until you become too old that you retire, and continue doing another series of repetitive crap until you pass away.

Anyone here regret the path they took in life? Doesn't matter what it is, if you have a family (i am sure you don't regret having a family) that's not what i was implying, i just meant do you wish you could have done anything differently? What exact choices do you think you made in life that actually brought you to where you are right now and if you could go back would you change anything?

Jun 9, 2004
Canada
Well, there's a predetermined path society sets for you Arash jaan and then there's a path that you choose - they don' have to be the same thing. You're right that many people will think you're insane if you go against the status quo, but who gives a $hit what people think and following other people's path for the sake of conformity is a lot more insane IMHO. You have to do what makes you happy in life - if that's working a 9-5 job and coming home to kids, then that's what it is. If you prefer to travel and see the world, then do it. I've never been a 9-5 guy myself - only my first full time job out of university was a 9-5 job and I really struggled with it, so I chose options and often took some risks to make sure I don't end up there forever. You may very well reach a point when you say been there done it (whatever there and all mean to different people) all and I like to relive and re-experience through the eyes of someone else. I think that's a nice reason to eventually have kids and if you won't feel that way, why should you have kids if you don't want them?

Jul 5, 2008
Melbourne
You know, i never was a person who really cared much about what others thought of me, that's not the issue. I just think a lot of people are trapped Bi Honar jan, by that i mean i believe a lot of people would go down a path with the intention of jumping off the next exit and go through with their real ambitions in life. But instead they get so attached/comfortable to the path they chose, may it be that 9 to 5 job, find a girl, fall in love, have a child, get married and thats it. All your previous dreams have to go out of the window, and probably you will never have the chance to do them ever again. Suddenly you are stuck, with a mortgage for 30 years, and a child and a wife. There is no going back.

And i agree with you, i think its far worse to go down the road of conformity and follow suit and follow the path society sees fit for you. Instead you should take the risk and do what it is you want, last year my friend came back after a 8 month study/living in Mexico/Costa Rica etc. He came back and decided that he wanted to actually move over there and teach English and just travel through North America, he didn't just say it. He did it. His own family thought he was crazy for leaving a country like Australia to go live in a 3rd world country teaching English, when he had spent 4 years finishing off a finance degree. But he was genuinely happy, and i respect him for actually chasing what he wanted out of life. His family expected him to start work, and start a family, and were shocked that he took off.

I guarantee you that if he had postponed his move, and decided to work for a year after his graduation and then decide what to do with his life, he would have ended up working and becoming a slave to society's way of life, i've seen it happen. I am in no way shape or form saying that working hard for your family, to pay off your house and care for your family is a bad thing. I don't want people to misunderstand me, i am just saying that despite everything that happens in life, in many cases lots of people tend to sacrifice what they really want to do with their lives for the sake of normality, Why? And i am curious to know, if they could go back and change anything, would they?

IEI

Administrator
Staff member
Nov 10, 2002
Unless you have a rich parents, you can't travel around the world and enjoy life without working. Now I understand where you are coming from. I am not a 9:00 - 5:00 kinda person either so I always have the idea in my mind to start some type of company so I will be at least my boss and do what I love in life ... Any extra time I have, I love to travel
As far as having kids, I have been married for almost 3 years and have no intention to have kids while all the family members give us the indication. We are not ready for it and I am almost 35 years old. I am the person that is going to raise the kid and If I get to the point that enjoy every moment of that experience and know that my kid will have easy life, then I will do it. Otherwise, it is not fair to the kid. Who said that everyone should have kids where the world population is increasing so much ?
The only person that can tell you whether you are happy or not is you ... Dont' let anyone force you to make a decision that you will regret the rest of your life.

But I also have to mention one more thing ... there is another side to the coin ... you should know exactly what you want from life and so your will not gret it later in life... I mean some people don't like to work very hard ... they just want a relaxing life ... but then you can't expect to be a millionare with that attitude and that is okay ... the worst is when you become 55, then you start regretting why you lived like that ...
so think about long-term as welll

Jun 9, 2004
Canada
And i am curious to know, if they could go back and change anything, would they?
I personally wouldn't change anything if I could go back - other than maybe not letting our first cat out the day she hurt herself and we eventually had to put her down and maybe a little less partying between 2003 and 2008 and a little more focus on work so that we could do the move to Spain a little bit sooner than we're doing! ;)

Ultimately, to be happy in life, you have to do what you want to do NOW, not tomorrow and not the day after. We all have to live in the moment, not for the moment as IEI said because living in the moment, unlike living for the moment, doesn't mean ignoring tomorrow altogether. One thing I really struggle to understand is people who save save save now so that they can start travelling in their retirement. The younger you are, the more fun you have travelling or doing anything actually, so as Khayaam would say,

ای دوست بیا تا غم فردا نخوریم
وین یکدم عمر را غنیمت شمریم

Zob Ahan

Elite Member
Feb 4, 2005
Would you rather...

Spend your life, finishing your education, working a 9 to 5 job, have a family, a mortgage and spend your life the old fashion way.

Or

Spend your life travelling the world, working here and there and see everything, do everything you have ever wanted at the prime of your life.

I find the perception of that ideology "get married, have children, buy a house and work" so dull, yet so implanted into society that if anyone actually does anything different they are seen as insane. Me and my girlfriend of nearly 4 years both don't want children, (sure we are both still only 23, and the idea of having children is to early) but the actual idea of children does not interest us. And personally the older i get, the more i cringe to the idea of becoming a father. I want to be able to work, travel and spend as much time travelling and experiencing different countries as possible, whenever i want. Without having the obligations of a child, i know that maybe in a couple of years my thoughts on how i want to spend my life might change.

Many of my friends, are currently spending their lives travelling across the world, some have been travelling for the past 2-3 years now. Hiking in the himalayas, living in Mexico, studying in Canada, driving through Europe and USA. Some even doing charity work in African countries.

Sometimes it gets depressing to just sit on facebook and see all the updates from all your close friends and the way they are spending their lives, while your busy living up to the ideology of society. Specially coming from a persian family i am sure many of you know the pressure that we go through in terms of "you have to study to become somebody in society". I completely understand that notion though, as a parent they only want the best for their children, specially families who specifically left Iran to give their children all the opportunities in life.

I guess it could be my pre-graduation nerves kicking in, but a little voice in my head is telling me with quite a confident tone as if he knows that once i graduate thats it. I begin my 9 to 5 job, move out and buy a house. And then i am stuck, i have entered the norm of how the majority of society lives. At the end of the day, why else did i study for 5 years to gain a respectable job in society? I have to work 9 to 5, Monday to Friday, be a good husband/father and provide and attend mehmonis every Saturday night with the family for choleh kebab/gheymeh, where everyone can tell you how proud they are of you for becoming a lawyer. While deep inside, all you can think about is the next 40 years of your life doing the same repetitive crap week in, week out. Until you become too old that you retire, and continue doing another series of repetitive crap until you pass away.

Anyone here regret the path they took in life? Doesn't matter what it is, if you have a family (i am sure you don't regret having a family) that's not what i was implying, i just meant do you wish you could have done anything differently? What exact choices do you think you made in life that actually brought you to where you are right now and if you could go back would you change anything?
General rule of thumb: Don't believe 75% of it.

Jun 9, 2004
Canada
General rule of thumb: Don't believe 75% of it.
LOL. You're probably being kind with 75% Siavash jaan. General rule of thumb... those who are enjoying their lives, don't have time to post on FB! They're just enjoying every damn moment to take time off to tell others about it! ;)

The Matrix

Bench Warmer
Jul 25, 2007
I would do what makes me happy first and then think about a happy job second. You have to do what makes you happy and not regret it, you should do it with all your love. If you love your job and the kinda work you do then you will be happy regardless but you just have to make sure that you chose the right path in life ... and then everything else will just come on its own if you really know what you want but if you dont then your just going to regret everything and become miserable eventually...

Just take a year off from life go traveling and what not and then start your job if you have the money. If you dont have the money then just work for 1 or 2 years and then take a year off and then come back to reality...

Jul 5, 2008
Melbourne
Unless you have a rich parents, you can't travel around the world and enjoy life without working. Now I understand where you are coming from. I am not a 9:00 - 5:00 kinda person either so I always have the idea in my mind to start some type of company so I will be at least my boss and do what I love in life ... Any extra time I have, I love to travel
As far as having kids, I have been married for almost 3 years and have no intention to have kids while all the family members give us the indication. We are not ready for it and I am almost 35 years old. I am the person that is going to raise the kid and If I get to the point that enjoy every moment of that experience and know that my kid will have easy life, then I will do it. Otherwise, it is not fair to the kid. Who said that everyone should have kids where the world population is increasing so much ?
The only person that can tell you whether you are happy or not is you ... Dont' let anyone force you to make a decision that you will regret the rest of your life.

But I also have to mention one more thing ... there is another side to the coin ... you should know exactly what you want from life and so your will not gret it later in life... I mean some people don't like to work very hard ... they just want a relaxing life ... but then you can't expect to be a millionare with that attitude and that is okay ... the worst is when you become 55, then you start regretting why you lived like that ...
so think about long-term as welll
So when you say you are not ready, do you mind if i ask is that because you are personally not ready, or are there other factors in play such as finances, space, career etc holding you back from having a child?

I think its crucial to think long term, i agree with you. But when you finish off a 5 year degree for example that in itself is you having planned for the rest of your life, (that degree should not mean you do the same repetitive crap for the rest of your life) what i am trying to say is that if you think too far ahead you will surely loose focus on what it is you want right now. Like Bi-honar said, its very weird when people are spending their youth, the best years of their lives saving money so that they can go travelling once they retire, in 20-30 years. Where is the logic in that? Some just get stuck in that motion of saving money, that they just continue doing it, even though there is enough saved to do anything they want at the prime of their lives, instead they get stuck in that routine and its extremely hard escaping it. Its as if sub consciously a decision has already been made for them, i know a couple of my closest friends parents who have managed to work up a huge number of holiday leave throughout a 20 year career, but they are not willing to take that holiday leave until their house is paid off, or until they have bought a new car, or done this, or that. This is a normal thing in society is it not? (mortgages, loans, holding you back from what you really want to do), why should our lives be dictated by something that will have zero meaning and worth when we pass on to the next life?

I think its worse to reach the age of 55 and look back and think to yourself, well i worked hard for 30 years, now i own my house outright, i am financially stable, but am i really happy with how my life went? I put 30 of the best years of my life, sitting in a office.

You know i see a lot of backpackers in Australia, and i have a huge amount of respect for people like that, who travel the world for years working here and there, earning their money to follow their dreams. They work only to fund their next trip, their next dream. I know some who have been travelling for 10 years now. I am not saying that travelling is the only thing in life, it could be anything, depends whatever your dream is. I think people get stuck in the ideology of what society expects of them, so they commit to it, whether they actually think they are or not. Thats all. Its easy to say, go do what it is you want to do in life, but i think a lot of factors come into play, and somehow in most cases people seem to falter themselves to these factors.

I would do what makes me happy first and then think about a happy job second. You have to do what makes you happy and not regret it, you should do it with all your love. If you love your job and the kinda work you do then you will be happy regardless but you just have to make sure that you chose the right path in life ... and then everything else will just come on its own if you really know what you want but if you dont then your just going to regret everything and become miserable eventually...

Just take a year off from life go traveling and what not and then start your job if you have the money. If you dont have the money then just work for 1 or 2 years and then take a year off and then come back to reality...
Like i said, saying it sounds extremely simple and easy. Just leaving and coming back to reality as you wish, is not that easy my friend, reality grabs a hold onto you and once it does, you will struggle to break that hold. Doesn't matter, you can chose the right path in life, that doesn't mean its the path you really wanted to take initially.

Last edited:
Jul 5, 2008
Melbourne
I personally wouldn't change anything if I could go back - other than maybe not letting our first cat out the day she hurt herself and we eventually had to put her down and maybe a little less partying between 2003 and 2008 and a little more focus on work so that we could do the move to Spain a little bit sooner than we're doing! ;)

Ultimately, to be happy in life, you have to do what you want to do NOW, not tomorrow and not the day after. We all have to live in the moment, not for the moment as IEI said because living in the moment, unlike living for the moment, doesn't mean ignoring tomorrow altogether. One thing I really struggle to understand is people who save save save now so that they can start travelling in their retirement. The younger you are, the more fun you have travelling or doing anything actually, so as Khayaam would say,

ای دوست بیا تا غم فردا نخوریم
وین یکدم عمر را غنیمت شمریم
I see it all perfectly; there are two possible situations — one can either do this or that. My honest opinion and my friendly advice is this: do it or do not do it — you will regret both.”

That's one of my favourite quotes

The Matrix

Bench Warmer
Jul 25, 2007
I think your taking life too hard and over thinking about the future... You should go one step at a time my friend. You never know you might just be dead tomorrow life is just so meaningless and terrible when you don't enjoy it. Enjoy your life... But also finish your education because that is the gate way too your future. Also there are so many branches in life you can take you don't have to be like everyone else you can create your own destiny...

shahinc

Legionnaire
May 8, 2005
With all due respect, I think your major problem is you don't love what you do ... going to office from 9-5 for next 40 years and doing something that is not your passion and your love , definitely sounds terrible. As for the other plan of going to different countries and working and travelling ... I know few Irish guys here in Toronto who have been doing this for past 10 years. 2 of them are graphic designers and they have been living in different countries for 1-2 years each time and working and travelling ...

Jul 5, 2008
Melbourne
I think your taking life too hard and over thinking about the future... You should go one step at a time my friend. You never know you might just be dead tomorrow life is just so meaningless and terrible when you don't enjoy it. Enjoy your life... But also finish your education because that is the gate way too your future. Also there are so many branches in life you can take you don't have to be like everyone else you can create your own destiny...
What? I think you have completely misunderstood me. I am not " over thinking " about the future, in fact i am doing the complete opposite, i am simply intrigued to know why people tend to leave behind or put on hold their dreams/ambitions of today to a certain point where they actually forget about it. Then 20 or 30 years down the track regret it, and wish they could have changed things.

With all due respect, I think your major problem is you don't love what you do ... going to office from 9-5 for next 40 years and doing something that is not your passion and your love , definitely sounds terrible. As for the other plan of going to different countries and working and travelling ... I know few Irish guys here in Toronto who have been doing this for past 10 years. 2 of them are graphic designers and they have been living in different countries for 1-2 years each time and working and travelling ...
I'm sorry but where did you get that from? I enjoy what i do, i am not here complaining about my life. If i was unhappy i would have not continued my education in this field for 5 tough long years, and i certainly would not be talking about it on a forum with randoms. I dropped Psychological studies for a Bach in Law in my 1st year because i enjoyed the legal aspect much more. But do i love it enough to be someone else's little pawn for the next 30 years in a 9-5 job. No, because i want more out of my life. It doesn't come down to whether or not you love what you do, it comes down to what you actually do about the situation. That is why i was just curious to see if people here would do anything different if they were given the chance, to change the outcome of where they are in life right now.

Last edited:

The Matrix

Bench Warmer
Jul 25, 2007
Quote:

What? I think you have completely misunderstood me. I am not " over thinking " about the future, in fact i am doing the complete opposite, i am simply intrigued to know why people tend to leave behind or put on hold their dreams/ambitions of today to a certain point where they actually forget about it. Then 20 or 30 years down the track regret it, and wish they could have changed things.

Look that's just the way it is... Some people see paying off their debt as more important then going on a vacation or living for now and I personally believe that is the wrong way of thinking... and the only people who actually do that are the people that have trouble getting money to do what they really like later on and that is the majority of people in the society... Most people in society cant afford to go on vacation or go out to a simple restaurant and some people actually do not like going on vacation... So there you go I hoped that answered your question. Also as one gets older there are more responsibilities in life and shit that just pops out of the fan... Like your parents might get sick you might have to look after them, or your wife or you might have children and have to buy them expensive toys, technology and clothing... There are just so many unexpected things that just come out of nowhere along the way ... Human beings believe me are always unsatisfied and want more out of life and sometimes forget the things that they already have ....