Wow see what Tahmineh Milany says

LDPC

Bench Warmer
Dec 23, 2003
This was posted before in a thread related to womens only parks.
What was the main topic of the show anyways?

hmm. I didn't know I thougt I have seen all in the forum :) The topic of the show was about women parks where Tahmineh insisted that segragation is generally not good idea and debated on it giving examples of her own life. Very interesting.

The_Referee

National Team Player
Mar 26, 2005
Jabolqa Opposite Jabolsa
Interesting clip - thanks.
We need more of courageous women like her.

Western parks, off course, are not as free and safe as she says.
However, the essence of what she says, i.e. the grave impacts of segregations of the genders are indeed a great cultural dilemma in our country.

However, I think, and I guess like of Tahmineh will agree with me too, a sudden release of all doors is not going to work in Iran either and these segregations are deep within our culture and society which goes back to Sassanid era, like this one:

*** AVESTA: VENDIDAD (English): Fargard 4. Contracts and offenses, it says:

44. If men of the same faith, either friends or brothers, come to an agreement together, that one may obtain from the other, either goods31, or a wife32, or knowledge33, let him who desires goods have them delivered to him; let him who desires a wife receive and wed her; let him who desires knowledge be taught the holy word,

The explanation note by the Zoroastrian site says:
32. Woman is an object of contract, like cattle or fields: she is disposed of by contracts of the fifth sort, being more valuable than cattle and less so than fields. She is sold by her father or her guardian, often from the cradle. 'Instances are not wanting of the betrothal of a boy of three years of age to a girl of two' (see Dosabhoy Framjee's work on The Parsees, p. 77; cf. 'A Bill to Define and Amend the Law relating to Succession, Inheritance, Marriage, &c.,' Bombay, 1864).

That might have been why, the Iranian adoption of Islam, did not trouble itself by softening Islamic/Arabic approach to women and treated women the same more or less.

Anyhow, the solution is not like what Pahlavis did, i.e. trying to discourage Hijab as much as possible and in some cases even pushed for temporary bans. It is not what Turkish or French system dictates either. Those things will not work. But we really need to educate ourselves out of this.

I think, IRI, not knowingly, has helped the process by segregations at the universities in the long run. In a short run, it was awful to see those segregations. However, that let many traditional families feel comfortable sending their girls to even other cities to be educated in tertiary level. I think the process is working within and the outlook has already changed to a great extent. These little pushes and shoves of public forcing morality are going to go soon... I am sure, segregated parks will no longer be needed in a not very far future.

feyenoord

Bench Warmer
Aug 23, 2005
I
44. If men of the same faith, either friends or brothers, come to an agreement together, that one may obtain from the other, either goods31, or a wife32, or knowledge33, let him who desires goods have them delivered to him; let him who desires a wife receive and wed her; let him who desires knowledge be taught the holy word,

The explanation note by the Zoroastrian site says:
32. Woman is an object of contract, like cattle or fields: she is disposed of by contracts of the fifth sort, being more valuable than cattle and less so than fields. She is sold by her father or her guardian, often from the cradle. 'Instances are not wanting of the betrothal of a boy of three years of age to a girl of two' (see Dosabhoy Framjee's work on The Parsees, p. 77; cf. 'A Bill to Define and Amend the Law relating to Succession, Inheritance, Marriage, &c.,' Bombay, 1864).

That might have been why, the Iranian adoption of Islam, did not trouble itself by softening Islamic/Arabic approach to women and treated women the same more or less.
haha. Thnx for writing this here, I did not know this. I wonder what BUZZ, OSTAD POOYA, OSTAD Aieene risheiee ( Fouladvand) and his commanders ( menjomleh farmandeh Kourosh) think about this.

Niloufar

Football Legend
Oct 19, 2002
yeah that was just brilliant! hats off to Tahmineh Milani for her deep analysis of the problem. and that interviewer was such a blonde b... needed a slap in face. bache fesgheliii