WTF? Karroubi recognises Ahmadinejad as Iran 'president'..

Natural

IPL Player
May 18, 2003
http://news.yahoo.com/s/afp/20100125/wl_afp/iranpoliticsoppositionkarroubi

Karroubi recognises Ahmadinejad as Iran 'president': son

AFP/File – Iran opposition leader Mehdi Karroubi, seen here in 2009, who had refused to accept Mahmoud Ahmadinejad's …

Mon Jan 25, 6:08 am ET

TEHRAN (AFP) – Iranian opposition leader Mehdi Karroubi who had refused to accept the re-election of President Mahmoud Ahmadinejad, now recognises the hardliner as the country's "president", Karroubi's son told AFP on Monday.
Hossein Karroubi quoted his father as saying: "I am still of the same belief that the election was unhealthy and massively rigged. But since the (supreme) leader (Ayatollah Ali Khamenei) endorsed (Ahmadinejad's victory), I believe that he is the head of the government, meaning he is the president."

Hossein spoke to AFP when asked to confirm an earlier report by Fars news agency quoting his father in which he acknowledged Ahmadinejad as the president.

Fars asked the opposition leader whether he now acknowledges Ahmadinejad as the president.

The ex-speaker of parliament, who came fourth in the disputed June 12 presidential election, replied: "I still maintain that there were problems (in the election), but with regard to your question, I should say that I recognise the president."

Oct 18, 2002
If what Farsnews reports is true, he has merely said that Ahmadinejad is now the president of the regime. Anyone doubting this? Of course AN is the president of IRI. It is the IRI itself that we are challenging.

May 12, 2007
If what Farsnews reports is true, he has merely said that Ahmadinejad is now the president of the regime. Anyone doubting this? Of course AN is the president of IRI. It is the IRI itself that we are challenging.
He dose not even say president but raeise dovlat. Legimate or illegimate that is what AN is.
Still I doubt that where he stands. Few days ago he asked for a free election.

masoudA

Legionnaire
Oct 16, 2008
Baba - don't make leaders out of those who are inside Iran - at the end of the day IR can make them do or say anything. Dame Karoubi garm for his past courage - highly unexpected. What was expected is statements such as this one.

Farzad-USA

Bench Warmer
Apr 4, 2007
rooyesh.blog.com
UPDATE 1500 GMT: EA sources, as well as readers, offer important amendments to our reaction:

First, it should be noted that Hossein Karroubi contacted a number of press outlets after Fars News claimed that Mehdi Karroubi had declared, without reservation that, he “recognised the President”. Given Fars’ past record, as well as the unlikely scenario that Karroubi would make such an important statement through that outlet, the scenario is that Hossein Karroubi was putting out a hasty “clarification” to prevent the Fars story from getting any traction.

Second, Hossein Karroubi’s clarification had two important qualifiers. First, he made clear that his father saw Ahmeadinejad as “selected leader” rather than “elected President”. Second, even though that selection was on the basis of the Supreme Leader’s endorsement, there was a pointed reference to this as the action of “Mr Khamenei”.

So the story seems to move away from a concerted response linking Karroubi and the “establishment” critics of the Government. Still, questions remain:

Why did Hossein Karroubi not give a simple repudiation of the Fars report? For the statement he offered has a curious tension: Mehdi Karroubi accepts the overriding verdict of the Supreme Leader (and thus velayat-e-faqih) even as he diminishes leader and system with the “Mr” tag.

And perhaps more importantly, is the Khatami letter to the Supreme Leader legitimate? For if so, Karroubi’s response is not only to Ayatollah Khamenei; it is to the former President’s attempt to bring together a group for reconciliation.

A quick reaction to emerging events, combined with the inside information Enduring America received last week:

Last week, as part of our articles on a possible “Plot Against President Ahmadinejad”, we noted that the key participants (Ali Larijani-Mohsen Rezaei-Mohammad Baqer Qalibaf) had extended invitations to Mir Hossein Mousavi and Mehdi Karroubi to join the move.

This morning, we are processing news that 1) Mehdi Karroubi, through his son, is saying that he is recognising Ahmadinejad as President because of the Supreme Leader’s endorsement; 2) Mohammad Khatami has written to the Supreme Leader upholding the process of reform but recognising the legitimacy of the Iranian system and has suggested the arbitration of Hashemi Rafsanjani in a resolution of political issues.

No one has yet been able to put forward a reason for the apparent shift, so here goes: the overture by the “establishment group” was not rebuffed. Instead, a deal may have been struck: the Supreme Leader and velayat-e-faqih are beyond dispute. The June election will not be overturned (primarily because Ayatollah Khamenei endorsed it), but the “reformist” leaders can put their grievances and recommendations for change to a working group.

And Ahmadinejad remains on the outside of the process.

A lot of holes at this stage in the hypothesis. After all, this assumes that the Karroubi and Khatami statements are as reported (I tend to think that is the case). Mir Hossein Mousavi has not made a declaration. And, of course, there will be nothing in public to connect this to a Larijani-Rezaei-Qalibaf initiative.

But, given how much rough water will be stirred rather than smoothed by these developments, best to cling on to something….

peyman

Ball Boy
Oct 18, 2002
montreal, canada
Farzad jan u are absolutely correct!
to further clarify...what is obvious is that all of them (karoubi, khatami, mousavi and co.) are all supporters of the IRI, but the are reformists and believe in reform. They are not against the regime and their plan is not to end it either but to bring reforms.

I also believe that Karoubi believes AN as a selected president and not elected, yet he will try not to break the regime as it was not part of their/his goals.

Karoubi and co. have been very courageous till now, but it must be mentioned that they are not the leaders of regime change in iran. if such a thing is reached is because of the people and the "spark of change" created by these opposition leaders and it does not mean in any shape or form that they are PRO regime change.

my 2 cents :)

Farzad-USA

Bench Warmer
Apr 4, 2007
rooyesh.blog.com
Yet a member of the opposition Green Movement who did not want to be named because of security fears told RFE/RL that Karrubi's comments did not represent a shift in his previous stance.

"He didn't say he recognizes Ahmadinejad as the elected president, he said he recognizes him as the head of the government. There is a government in the country and its head is Ahmadinejad," the opposition source said in a telephone interview from the Iranian capital.

Said Razavi Fagheen, a Tehran-based journalist who campaigned for Karrubi ahead of the June vote, also said he did not think Karrubi was backtracking.

"I think [Karrubi and other opposition leaders] are looking for wise and intelligent solutions to solve the country's problems," Fagheen said. "Our country is currently facing domestic, regional, and international problems, and these issues can threaten our national interests, security and national unity."

from Radio Farda

May 21, 2003
Not The Eshaalic Goozpublic !
man nemidoonam bazi az shoma vaghan eteghaad dashteen ke een kesaafat taa akhare kaar vaay miseh.

oon adamaaye ghadimi boodan ke too TV ham miyoomadan paaye Edaam migoftan Javeed Iran.

Een haa lajan hastan. bazi haa 100 darsad lajan mesle AN, bazi haa ham 50 darsad mesle Mr. Bonyaad e Shahid (kir-roobi).

baba mardom baaz khar nasheen, yek baar pedar o madaaramoon khar shodan raftan kheyaaboon goftan dorood bar khomeini, biyaayeen dast be dast e ham bedim o DIGEH KHAR NASHIM.

1400 sale ke mesle kharhaaye ghebresi dar jahle morakab be sar mibareem, zanjeer haaye fekri ro beshkaneed va khodetoon ro azaad koneed az een mozakhrafaat.

May 9, 2004
من بارها گفتم
از همان اول هم گفتم دنبال موسوی و کروبی رفتن و خواستن به نتیجه ای که بر خلاف خواست انهاست برسید اشتباه است
هنوز هم دیر نشده
اگر سبز یک سمبل است اشکال ندارد می توان مثلا سمبل دیگری را جای ان انتخاب کرد
از موسوی و کروبی دوری بجویید و جبهه را از انها خالی کنید
قبل از اینکه موسوی و کروبی ها پشت شما را خالی کنند
قبل از اینکه سر در گم و متفرق شوید

بله جانم

Jan 29, 2004

بابا این پیرمرد اینقدر خرفته که بیشتر از شیش ماه طول کشید تا دو زاریش بیوفته ...............زرشک
حالا عمو سبزی فروش هم کم کم میاد تو باغ

:khodai:

Natural

IPL Player
May 18, 2003
My take on this:

It's true that all the elites in the regime had to choose a side, as Khamenei threatened them to. However, they are doing it in a very smart way in my perspective..

In his statement, Karoubi specifically is saying that the election was a fraud, and he assumes that as a fact. and then right after, he says that Khamenei certified the election.. so he is in result questioning the "asle velayate faghih"

I personally dont thin karoubi and mousavi are the ultimate leaders of this movement.. but I thought it was interesting how he dealt with the whole "taking side" task that khamenei forced him to do..

another take on this: (From Twitter): Karoubi: "AN has been appointed by SL, therefore is legitimate" = Your vote is worth SHIT, SL decides!! #No2IR #Iranelection

Oct 16, 2002
DarvAze DoolAb
www.iransportspress.com
Well in the future any prosecution of the current people in charge will have to take place in the name of them being "official" position holders, so AN being the official "Head of the government " (Not president) is actually what is needed to hold him responsible for the crimes.

If AN was not recognized as the "head of the government" by the green movement, he could defend himself much easier in the future.

masoudA

Legionnaire
Oct 16, 2008
Both Moussavi and Karoubi are still Green and Will be forever. In fact what they have done so far is great. All they must do is to sit aside and follow the Green - as they have done since the elections.

Guys be careful - this whole thing is to create cracks amongst teh Green. They are hoping for many to lose hope and break away from the Green.

May 12, 2007
Well in the future any prosecution of the current people in charge will have to take place in the name of them being "official" position holders, so AN being the official "Head of the government " (Not president) is actually what is needed to hold him responsible for the crimes.

If AN was not recognized as the "head of the government" by the green movement, he could defend himself much easier in the future.
This is also very true. Karobi needs to adress him the head of the government to hold him responsible for how the government is acting against protestors. BTW: Good to see back.

Apr 10, 2003
کروبی: مسئله امروز انتخابات نیست، مسئله کشته شدن جوانان....

سایت ندای سبز آزادی: به گفته یکی از شاهدان در کنگره حزب مردم سالاری، مهدی کروبی در پاسخ به نائب رئیس مجلس شورای اسلامی که به وی گفته بود، شماها آدم های خوبی هستید و به نظام و امام اعتقاد دارید اما برگردید به دامان رهبری و نظام، گفته است، برادر، اصلا مسئله انتخابات نیست . مسئله این است که در این کشور در کهریزک 4 نفر جوان کشته شدند . در زمان شاه ما زندان بودیم اگر چریک را که براندازی اش قطعی بود می گرفتند و شکنجه هم که می کردند بعد می بردند بهداری درمانش می کردند . اما الان آنقدر شکنجه می کنند که طرف زیر شکنجه می میرد .این واقعیت را درک کرد که این تصمیم، تصمیم مردم هست نه من مهدی کروبی. اینها مسئله اصلی است . شما چشمتان را باز کنید و ببینید چه اتفاقی دارد می افتد و با مردم چه می کنند ؟ البته ما از مردم نخواسته ایم بیایند خیابان و اعتراض کنند . این تصمیم خودشان هست و باید

May 12, 2007
کروبی: مسئله امروز انتخابات نیست، مسئله کشته شدن جوانان....

سایت ندای سبز آزادی: به گفته یکی از شاهدان در کنگره حزب مردم سالاری، مهدی کروبی در پاسخ به نائب رئیس مجلس شورای اسلامی که به وی گفته بود، شماها آدم های خوبی هستید و به نظام و امام اعتقاد دارید اما برگردید به دامان رهبری و نظام، گفته است، برادر، اصلا مسئله انتخابات نیست . مسئله این است که در این کشور در کهریزک 4 نفر جوان کشته شدند . در زمان شاه ما زندان بودیم اگر چریک را که براندازی اش قطعی بود می گرفتند و شکنجه هم که می کردند بعد می بردند بهداری درمانش می کردند . اما الان آنقدر شکنجه می کنند که طرف زیر شکنجه می میرد .این واقعیت را درک کرد که این تصمیم، تصمیم مردم هست نه من مهدی کروبی. اینها مسئله اصلی است . شما چشمتان را باز کنید و ببینید چه اتفاقی دارد می افتد و با مردم چه می کنند ؟ البته ما از مردم نخواسته ایم بیایند خیابان و اعتراض کنند . این تصمیم خودشان هست و باید
True and well said. In other word be a the leaders good boy and you won't be punished.
He replies I am not mad because I didn't become president I am mad at the crimes you commited and then he indirectly says if you kill me your problems will not be solved.

May 9, 2004

بابا این پیرمرد اینقدر خرفته که بیشتر از شیش ماه طول کشید تا دو زاریش بیوفته ...............زرشک
حالا عمو سبزی فروش هم کم کم میاد تو باغ

:khodai:
موسوی از اون روزی که قایم شد امده بود توی باغ جانم
شما توی باغ نبودید ایشان را ندیدید!!آ

بله جانم