Juventus vs Barcelona historical matches

byebyenow

Elite Member
Jun 3, 2006
Juventus and Barcelona will meet in Berlin on June 6th which will be both club's eighth final. Barcelona has won it four times and Juve twice. They have met nine times before which the last time they met was in 2005 in Joan Gamper cup in Nou Camp which ended 2-2 and Juve won on penalties. It was if not the first but was one of the first games Messi played for Barcelona first team and it was only few days after his 18th birthday. He showed his worth and was one of the best in the field frustrated the Juve players and made them to foul him many times and also gave an assist. Capello was the manager of Juventus at the time and he said he has never seen a player with such qualities before.
Here is a clip of Messi against Juventus:
[video]https://youtu.be/mYUqYtVilgA?t=608[/video]
This is the full match if anybody wants to watch it. Ronaldinho, Deco, Larsson, Guily, Motta,Van Bommel and Eto'o was at Barcelona at the time and Nedved, Thuram, Cannavaro, Viera, Ibrahimovic, Zambrotta, Camoranesi and Del Piero were still at the club. The following year Barcelona beat Arsenal in CL final for their second trophy.
[video]https://youtu.be/Ar-uWgF2WcU[/video]
It is amazing how an eighteen year old have the whole stadium to stand up to applaud him.

Last edited:
Oct 16, 2002
DarvAze DoolAb
www.iransportspress.com
Thank you.

It was my birthday in 2005 and I remember this match. I had been a 'closet' Barca fan since their soul crushing 4-0 defeat against AC Milan in the European final back in 1994. I cried so much over that loss that my dad got angry and forbid me from watching football for a while. For that reason alone, I had a love/hate relationship with Barca for a whole decade. I remember every once in a while checking on them and noticing players like Requilme, Ronaldo, Kluivert and Saviola, but never really wanting to care as they were always destined to fail as soon as I started giving a shit.

Ronaldinho gave a new meaning to my level of attention to Barcelona and although this match in 2005 was yet another disappointing ending, I couldn't ignore what I was seeing. Messi's brilliance was youthful and inspiring. He was apparently about to be loaned out, but they decided to keep him because of this match.

You just don't see things like this in football anymore. An 18 year old taking the world by storm without any fuss or media bullshit. He just went on the field and shook everyone to their core. He hasn't been much different since then. Of course, if you show him his work rate in this match compared to what he's doing now, he'd probably laugh and say "FUCK THAT SHIT! I ain't doing all that ever again!".

TeamMeli

Elite Member
Feb 5, 2014
Las Vegas, NV
^^I remember that game as well. This game is going to boil down to one thing if JUVE strikes first, I really like their chances because then they are going to hunker down and put 10 men in a box(Italian style). I'm just heartbroken Bayern got hit by the injury bug at the WORST possible time. I also remember Ronaldihno dude was a beast and had some really nice moves. Of course who could forget a young Messi like you pointed out. As for me, I follow two squads my English team is Arsenal and my Bundesliga team is Bayern. I hope Barcelona wins so I can say we lost to the champs.

byebyenow

Elite Member
Jun 3, 2006
I had been a 'closet' Barca fan since their soul crushing 4-0 defeat against AC Milan in the European final back in 1994. I cried so much over that loss that my dad got angry and forbid me from watching football for a while. For that reason alone, I had a love/hate relationship with Barca for a whole decade. I remember every once in a while checking on them and noticing players like Requilme, Ronaldo, Kluivert and Saviola, but never really wanting to care as they were always destined to fail as soon as I started giving a shit.
The first game I watched Barcelona was back in 92 the final against Sampdoria with players such as Stoichkov, Laudrup, Koeman, Guardiola and Zubizarreta which beat that great Sampdoria team with Mancini and Viali deadly front two. I also remember that Final with Milan which they lost to that great Capello's Milan team. Barcelona in Late 90's was also a decent team with likes of Luis Enrique, Ronaldo, Figo, Rivaldo, De Boer, Kluivert and ect...

IEI

Administrator
Staff member
Nov 10, 2002
leading to this huge game, Juve won Coppa Italia. This is going to be good

[video=youtube;XLkTEjL9A-k]https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=XLkTEjL9A-k[/video]

Last edited:

TeamMeli

Elite Member
Feb 5, 2014
Las Vegas, NV
Vierra, DelPiero, Baggio. man those were the days.
Lol Baggio poor dude I remember I was 12 years old and ironically, I was in Iran watching the 94 WC Brazil v Italy. Poor dude can you imagine he was a great player but he will FOREVER be remembered for that legendary miss. Football can be so cruel sometimes. He was much more than that.

byebyenow

Elite Member
Jun 3, 2006
leading to this huge game, Juve won Coppa Italia. This is going to be good
This was a very important trophy for Juventus as it has been twenty years for Juve. This is the third double Juve has ever won and the last time was twenty years ago. Juve now is the the first Italian team to reach ten coppa trophy which will earn us the silver star. It was the tough game but after this win they can go to Berlin with more confidence. Now Barcelona has to play Athletic Bilbao in the Spanish cup final and probably Xavi's last copa del rey final as well.

Last edited:

byebyenow

Elite Member
Jun 3, 2006
Lol Baggio poor dude I remember I was 12 years old and ironically, I was in Iran watching the 94 WC Brazil v Italy. Poor dude can you imagine he was a great player but he will FOREVER be remembered for that legendary miss. Football can be so cruel sometimes. He was much more than that.
[video]https://youtu.be/Tx6BkX2P1T0[/video]

byebyenow

Elite Member
Jun 3, 2006
There was party at both Juventus Stadium and Nou Camp this weekend for winning their domestic titles and also special day for Xavi. It was also a tribute of Heysel disaster in Juventus Stadium.

byebyenow

Elite Member
Jun 3, 2006
1970-1971 Inter-Cities Fairs Cup Juventus and Barcelona played for the first time in Nou Camp in front of 65,000 fans the game was finished 2-1 in favor of Juventus with goals from Bettega and Haller for Juve and Marcial for Barca. The second leg also finished 2-1 in favor of Juve with goals from Bettega and capello and Pujol for Barca. Inter-Cities Fair cups used to be the unofficial tournament which later became Uefa cup under UEFA. This was the last year of this tournament and Juve reached the final and lost to that great Leeds united of late 60s and early 70s. Barcelona finished runner up that year in La Liga and Juve finished fourth in Serie A that year. Here is the first leg game between Juve and Barca in Nou Camp.
[video]https://youtu.be/cdpVjRQQY3c[/video]

byebyenow

Elite Member
Jun 3, 2006
They weren't much into speed in those times were they?!! Looks like a bunch of elementary school kids playing with today's standards!
No the sport was nothing like in today's game which is much faster but back then it was much more physical than now as most challenges were not fouls. However the cameras were not that good back then and it did make the motions seem slower and also the angle of the camera were horrible back then. Never less these were much higher level than high school football still maybe even better than most football leagues like our own IPL.

Last edited:

Chinaski

Elite Member
Jun 14, 2005
No this is sugar coating it a bit. I watched the games live back in the mid 70s and i am still watching football games today. The football back then was not physical at all. Players werent trained the way they are trained today, they werent as athletic as today, they werent as fast as today, the game was not as intensive as today where players with the ball dont have more than 2 seconds to make a decision. In todays football everything happens a lot faster and with a lot more intensity. Back then players sometimes carried the ball for over 10 seconds with themselves without being seriously challenged, today, you start carrying the ball for a bit too long (meaning for 4 or 5 seconds) and you have 2, 3 opposing players surrounding you and taking the ball away from you or the 4th one breaks your leg to end the thing. Players today are eating differently, they are training more and harder, they are getting prepared a lot better and a lot more intensive and the result is the fast pace we see today. Someone like Messi who can run with the ball full speed without letting the ball getting further away from his feet more than 30 cm, would have been regarded as an untouchable alien back in the 70s.

byebyenow

Elite Member
Jun 3, 2006
No this is sugar coating it a bit. I watched the games live back in the mid 70s and i am still watching football games today. The football back then was not physical at all. Players werent trained the way they are trained today, they werent as athletic as today, they werent as fast as today, the game was not as intensive as today where players with the ball dont have more than 2 seconds to make a decision. In todays football everything happens a lot faster and with a lot more intensity. Back then players sometimes carried the ball for over 10 seconds with themselves without being seriously challenged, today, you start carrying the ball for a bit too long (meaning for 4 or 5 seconds) and you have 2, 3 opposing players surrounding you and taking the ball away from you or the 4th one breaks your leg to end the thing. Players today are eating differently, they are training more and harder, they are getting prepared a lot better and a lot more intensive and the result is the fast pace we see today. Someone like Messi who can run with the ball full speed without letting the ball getting further away from his feet more than 30 cm, would have been regarded as an untouchable alien back in the 70s.
And some still believe Pele is the best players of all time. When I said physical I didn't mean athletic abilities and strength but challenges that are dangerous in today's football same with Basketball which elbows were part of the game but I agree that the sport is at much much faster pace, no question about that. Not only the training, diet and medical coverage of today's football but also the cleats, ball and even the grass on the pitch is much better than those days.

TeamMeli

Elite Member
Feb 5, 2014
Las Vegas, NV
What you said is true but remember one thing in the 70's if you had a major injury, like say you tear your ACL, your career was over. We made medical advancements and now players can recuperate from an ACL tear. They might not ever be the same but they can still continue on with their career. Also, our facilities were quite primitive back then and players didn't make much money back then. In fact, most footballers had another job during the off season. Now, football players can concentrate on their club and country 24/7/365. I'm not saying what you are saying is wrong but I could imagine how good Pele would have been if he had some of today's modern shoes, back then the cleats were like wearing cement boots.

Also, I'm sorry but Messi is not even the greatest Argentinian let alone the greatest player in the world. #1 Diego Maradona was the best Argentinian and you can make a case for him being the goat. He played his club ball in Europe and Pele played in Brazil so yes Pele has one more WC but Maradona also has two. In order for Messi to be in the conversation, he needs to win a world cup, otherwise he is going to go down as another very good player who never won the big one. He will be Michelle Platini.

Bache Tehroon

Elite Member
Oct 16, 2002
DarvAze DoolAb
www.iransportspress.com
And some still believe Pele is the best players of all time
Those people are in denial.

If Pele had been trained with today's standards, yeah maybe he would've had a shot (depending on his intelligence and luck), but what Pele was back then is not considered 'good enough' for even a mid-table team these days.

Same with Maradona (though he did play the more modern game and still looked brilliant for the most part).

Players who blossomed before mid 90s are pretty much all inferior to their later counterparts. The game really changed, and its evolution picked up lots of pace in the 90s and 2000s.

byebyenow

Elite Member
Jun 3, 2006
Also, I'm sorry but Messi is not even the greatest Argentinian let alone the greatest player in the world. #1 Diego Maradona was the best Argentinian and you can make a case for him being the goat. He played his club ball in Europe and Pele played in Brazil so yes Pele has one more WC but Maradona also has two. In order for Messi to be in the conversation, he needs to win a world cup, otherwise he is going to go down as another very good player who never won the big one. He will be Michelle Platini.
We have had these discussions here many times and there never be the end of this, and I don't want to turn this thread to another one of these threads. but just like how football has changed so as the competitions and national teams. In today's world majority of world starts play in top five leagues of Europe and making some of these domestic and continental matches much tougher and much higher quality than National teams level. WC back in 60's and 70's were the only competitions that all the stars around the world could challenge each other for the trophy. Now CL games and other top league games consist of all the stars around the world. WC from start to the final is seven games and every four years compare to week and week out European club fixtures. My conclusion is you don't need to win the WC to be considered to be the greatest. I also don't like the idea of comparing era to another era as each era was different but Messi has been shattering records after another records for Barcelona surpassing many greats before him and he is still 27 years old. If Higuain scored his chance in the WC final, maybe even this discussion never happened. He still was the most important reason Argentina made it to the final in the first place. But one match and one miss chance shouldn't change Messi's image which is one of the greatest athletes in the history of all sports. Maradona was also a great player who also won two Scudetto with Napoli in the toughest league at the time but Maradona lost his head and had a horrible end of his career, Messi still has half of his career left.