Korea vs. Uzbekistan - Likely Scenarios and What is Best for Us

Silverton

National Team Player
Nov 6, 2004
Just to clarify what is best for us RE: South Korea & Uzbekistan & get a discussion here going ...

Credit to ElNino99 of PFDC for this post

================================================================================

I've been reading in various threads, how we should be hoping for a Korea win here, to give us an advantage when we travel to Ulsan in a couple of weeks, and to be perfectly honest, I don't think I agree with them.

As it stands, the group shapes as:

Korea 11 pts +6
Uzbekistan 11 pts +2
Iran 10 pts +1

Let's say for argument's sake, we'll beat Lebanon 2-0. That'll give us 13 pts, and a +3 GD. Now on to Korea vs. Uzbek game [wins by one goal margin]:

Scenario 1: KOREA WIN
A win for Korea basically qualifies them for the World Cup. The first tie-breaker is GD, and they have a huge advantage over both Iran and Uzbekistan. This will leave Uzbekistan 2 points behind TM with them chasing us for +2 GD. This means, even if we draw in Ulsan in a couple of weeks, A simple 2-0 win for Uzbekistan against Qatar will send them to Brazil. Also, I've been reading that if Korea is already qualified, it'll make their game vs. us easier. I don't think I agree. Iran vs. Korea is one of the biggest Asian derbies. It's Der Klassiker of Asia. Korea always want to beat us regardless. 4 Years ago, they were already qualified, and when we went 1-0 up, they threw chicken and sink at us and finally got the equalizer which eliminated us. Korea will never drop their performance against us, and I prefer to face them, if they need something from the game, so the pressure and nerve could get them. Unlike Japan, Korea isn't the most calm and composed team, and could easily crumble under pressure. They were extremely close to dropping points vs. Qatar and Lebanon due to the natural pressure on them that they are EXPECTED to win those games. Same thing happened to them in Tehran when they had a player over us, and the pressure for them to take the game to us didn't work for them, and they ended up losing. I much rather face a Korea under pressure, than a Korea already relaxed, qualified, which can play with a lot more tactical freedom.
In this scenario, Uzbekistan know it's a win or die for them vs. Qatar, and they'll go out all guns blazing.

Table in this scenario:

1- Korea 14pts +7
2- Iran 13 pts +3
3- Uzbek 11 pts +1

Scenario 2: DRAW
If this scenario happens, it puts immense pressure on Korea when they play us. It'll send us TOP OF THE GROUP, going into the last day, and presents Uzbekistan a chance that they'll directly qualify to the world cup, NO MATTER WHAT, if they beat Qatar. Here, a draw GUARANTEES us direct qualification. Unlike Scenario 1, when even if we drew, a big win for Uzbekistan could have sent us to play-offs. A draw here, 100% gives us that spot. I much rather we know exactly what we want, than having our ears elsewhere. If you didn't know, Korea vs. Iran , and Uzbek vs. Qatar games will be played AT THE SAME TIME. Korea will be under immense pressure to win in this case. They'll have to take the game to us, and if they don't score early, the crowd will get nervous and this pressure may end in silly mistakes. They have a knack of scoring late goals, but our defense has been fantastic in this campaign, and I am confident if we counter their early pressure, we'll have the upper hand here.

Table in this scenario:

1- Iran 13 pts +3
2- Korea 12 pts +6
3- Uzbek 12 pts +2

Scenario 3: UZBEK WIN
This scenario QUALIFIES Uzbekistan for the world cup. It'll make their last game meaningless, which means Korea-Iran game is a direct play-off. It'll make it a Win or die for Korea. Unlike Scenario 2, Korea can't be hoping for a favour from Qatar, so maybe even a draw will send them through. This is the worst case scenario for us, as it'll separate one team, from the rest. It kills a lot of uncertainties in the group.

Table in this scenario:
1- Uzbek 14 pts +3
2- Iran 13 pts +3
3- Korea 11 pts +5

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I think a draw is undoubtedly the best result for us. WHY :

1- We'll go to last day topping the group. That's a massive confidence boost.

2- We KNOW , 100%, that no matter what, a draw QUALIFIES us for the world cup. In no other scenario, that's the case.

3- Korea & Uzbekistan won't exactly know what they want, as their faith depend on each other's last games. Both teams will be under pressure to go out for the win in front of home fans, and it could backfire.

Things to note: Korea vs. Uzbek game will be done before we play Lebanon. If it's a Korea win/Draw, then we must go all out to put at least 3/4 goals vs. Lebanon, so that on the last day, if it goes to GD, we'll be in advantage. Scenario 3 is the nightmare scenario.

The only way we could lose in Ulsan, and still qualify, is through either scenarios 1 or 2. Though in second one, if we beat Lebanon with a good margin, then Uzbek will need to BEAT Qatar to beat us to second place even if we lose in Ulsan, and a draw won't be enough for them.

Ideal results for me next tuesday ??

Korea 0-0 Uzbekistan (Preferably a couple of red cards for both sides)

Iran 4-0 Lebanon

Shahram

Elite Member
Oct 21, 2002
Just to clarify what is best for us RE: South Korea & Uzbekistan & get a discussion here going ...

Credit to ElNino99 of PFDC for this post

================================================================================

I've been reading in various threads, how we should be hoping for a Korea win here, to give us an advantage when we travel to Ulsan in a couple of weeks, and to be perfectly honest, I don't think I agree with them.

As it stands, the group shapes as:

Korea 11 pts +6
Uzbekistan 11 pts +2
Iran 10 pts +1

Let's say for argument's sake, we'll beat Lebanon 2-0. That'll give us 13 pts, and a +3 GD. Now on to Korea vs. Uzbek game [wins by one goal margin]:

Scenario 1: KOREA WIN
A win for Korea basically qualifies them for the World Cup. The first tie-breaker is GD, and they have a huge advantage over both Iran and Uzbekistan. This will leave Uzbekistan 2 points behind TM with them chasing us for +2 GD. This means, even if we draw in Ulsan in a couple of weeks, A simple 2-0 win for Uzbekistan against Qatar will send them to Brazil. Also, I've been reading that if Korea is already qualified, it'll make their game vs. us easier. I don't think I agree. Iran vs. Korea is one of the biggest Asian derbies. It's Der Klassiker of Asia. Korea always want to beat us regardless. 4 Years ago, they were already qualified, and when we went 1-0 up, they threw chicken and sink at us and finally got the equalizer which eliminated us. Korea will never drop their performance against us, and I prefer to face them, if they need something from the game, so the pressure and nerve could get them. Unlike Japan, Korea isn't the most calm and composed team, and could easily crumble under pressure. They were extremely close to dropping points vs. Qatar and Lebanon due to the natural pressure on them that they are EXPECTED to win those games. Same thing happened to them in Tehran when they had a player over us, and the pressure for them to take the game to us didn't work for them, and they ended up losing. I much rather face a Korea under pressure, than a Korea already relaxed, qualified, which can play with a lot more tactical freedom.
In this scenario, Uzbekistan know it's a win or die for them vs. Qatar, and they'll go out all guns blazing.

Table in this scenario:

1- Korea 14pts +7
2- Iran 13 pts +3
3- Uzbek 11 pts +1

Scenario 2: DRAW
If this scenario happens, it puts immense pressure on Korea when they play us. It'll send us TOP OF THE GROUP, going into the last day, and presents Uzbekistan a chance that they'll directly qualify to the world cup, NO MATTER WHAT, if they beat Qatar. Here, a draw GUARANTEES us direct qualification. Unlike Scenario 1, when even if we drew, a big win for Uzbekistan could have sent us to play-offs. A draw here, 100% gives us that spot. I much rather we know exactly what we want, than having our ears elsewhere. If you didn't know, Korea vs. Iran , and Uzbek vs. Qatar games will be played AT THE SAME TIME. Korea will be under immense pressure to win in this case. They'll have to take the game to us, and if they don't score early, the crowd will get nervous and this pressure may end in silly mistakes. They have a knack of scoring late goals, but our defense has been fantastic in this campaign, and I am confident if we counter their early pressure, we'll have the upper hand here.

Table in this scenario:

1- Iran 13 pts +3
2- Korea 12 pts +6
3- Uzbek 12 pts +2

Scenario 3: UZBEK WIN
This scenario QUALIFIES Uzbekistan for the world cup. It'll make their last game meaningless, which means Korea-Iran game is a direct play-off. It'll make it a Win or die for Korea. Unlike Scenario 2, Korea can't be hoping for a favour from Qatar, so maybe even a draw will send them through. This is the worst case scenario for us, as it'll separate one team, from the rest. It kills a lot of uncertainties in the group.

Table in this scenario:
1- Uzbek 14 pts +3
2- Iran 13 pts +3
3- Korea 11 pts +5

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I think a draw is undoubtedly the best result for us. WHY :

1- We'll go to last day topping the group. That's a massive confidence boost.

2- We KNOW , 100%, that no matter what, a draw QUALIFIES us for the world cup. In no other scenario, that's the case.

3- Korea & Uzbekistan won't exactly know what they want, as their faith depend on each other's last games. Both teams will be under pressure to go out for the win in front of home fans, and it could backfire.

Things to note: Korea vs. Uzbek game will be done before we play Lebanon. If it's a Korea win/Draw, then we must go all out to put at least 3/4 goals vs. Lebanon, so that on the last day, if it goes to GD, we'll be in advantage. Scenario 3 is the nightmare scenario.

The only way we could lose in Ulsan, and still qualify, is through either scenarios 1 or 2. Though in second one, if we beat Lebanon with a good margin, then Uzbek will need to BEAT Qatar to beat us to second place even if we lose in Ulsan, and a draw won't be enough for them.

Ideal results for me next tuesday ??

Korea 0-0 Uzbekistan (Preferably a couple of red cards for both sides)

Iran 4-0 Lebanon

The best result will be for the S. Koreans to beat the Uzbeks 2-0. S. As a result, S. Korea will qualify directly and will be content with a draw in their match against Iran. That also means that we will qualify even if win against Lebanon by a two goal margin unless Uzbekistan beats Qatar by a three goal margin. The So. Korean may be even kinder to us if the Uzbek team has them all worked up! So, let's hope for a rough match between these two teams!:smile:

Silverton

National Team Player
Nov 6, 2004
^

South Korea never takes any game lightly vs. us, and always tries to come away with positive victory. It was just last World Cup campaign, where this happened - they were qualified yet they put the strongest team out there vs. Iran. They even put in Park, who scored the equalizer. Even if they win vs. Uzbekistan, they will make sure to revenge the 1-0 lost to Iran in Tehran vs. 10 men.

We should hope for a Uzbeki - Korean tie...

mashdi

Football Legend
Sep 29, 2005
Best scenario is for Korea & Uzbek to have a massive brawl on the pitch resulting in points deductions and players suspensions for both teams. :)

A draw would be the next best scenario.preferably with some red cards and minor one match injuries to key Korea players.

Last edited:
Oct 18, 2010
as in everything else most iranians are living in the past too much and ignoring the present.it's the same with football fans.i don't see why there is so much credit/respect/fear being given to korea at this time.looking at their results so far they have won only 3 all against the bottom teams in the group.2 against qatar and one vs lebanon.from their 2 matches with iran and uzbekistan they only got 1 point so far.in other words they got more than 90% of their 11 points(10) form the bottom teams of the table.What makes anyone think they can get full 6 points in their last 3 matches vs the strongest teams in the group?hence,i say it's more probable that both iran and uzbekistan will beat korea at home and qualify directly than any other scenario.

Silverton

National Team Player
Nov 6, 2004
as in everything else most iranians are living in the past too much and ignoring the present.it's the same with football fans.i don't see why there is so much credit/respect/fear being given to korea at this time.looking at their results so far they have won only 3 all against the bottom teams in the group.2 against qatar and one vs lebanon.from their 2 matches with iran and uzbekistan they only got 1 point so far.in other words they got more than 90% of their 11 points(10) form the bottom teams of the table.What makes anyone think they can get full 6 points in their last 3 matches vs the strongest teams in the group?hence,i say it's more probable that both iran and uzbekistan will beat korea at home and qualify directly than any other scenario.
Not only that, South Korea beat Qatar (at home) when they scored so late into injury time. They tied Lebanon after a ridiculous refereeing job by the Australian ref who only blew in South Korea's way.

Both games were very dubious & had ridiculous and shady amount of injury time and refereeing decisions that clearly benefited the South Koreans.

Feb 22, 2004
I think a win by Korea will be the best for us realistically. That will qualify them with 14 points and they will be satisfy with a draw in the last game.
We need to beat Lebanon in the game with some good goal differences. And then the final game no matter if Uzbek wins, we can qualify with a draw.
A draw against S.Korea is much easier than a two game (home-away aginst Oman/Jordan most likely or even Australia), and then go after Uruguay possibly in intercontinental game.

A win by South Korea against Uzbek = 14 points
A win against Lebanon by Iran with 3-0 or better
A tie against South Korea and we are going to be in driving seat to WC (very idealistic and realistic in my humble opinion)

Feb 22, 2004
Nevertheless, I agree totally that blowing some good players from Uzbek and S. Korea will benefit is drastically and very realistic that happens.

pendar

Bench Warmer
Oct 17, 2002
T dot
www.legofish.com
Not only that, South Korea beat Qatar (at home) when they scored so late into injury time. They tied Lebanon after a ridiculous refereeing job by the Australian ref who only blew in South Korea's way.

Both games were very dubious & had ridiculous and shady amount of injury time and refereeing decisions that clearly benefited the South Koreans.
With respect to the Lebanon vs S Korea game, for once in the Asian game a referee stood up to ugly time-wasting tactics and *rightly* calculated all the wasted time. We are sore - and rightly so - because it wasn't us who benefited from this good refereeing. Referee consistency issues are a problem everywhere, but that doesn't mean we should be punishing good refereeing. I for one am glad the ref did what he did and hope to see more of that across the board.

Ardesheer

Bench Warmer
Jun 30, 2005
Iran will beat Lebenan with a few goals --> Iran 13 points. Uzbaks will beat Qatar --> Uzbaks 14 points. S. Korea will beat Iran --> S. Korea 14 points. The game between S. Korea and Uzbacks will not affect the outcome. Iran will finish third.

Feb 24, 2012
Iran will beat Lebenan with a few goals --> Iran 13 points. Uzbaks will beat Qatar --> Uzbaks 14 points. S. Korea will beat Iran --> S. Korea 14 points. The game between S. Korea and Uzbacks will not affect the outcome. Iran will finish third.
What are the rules, will the first 2 or 3 move on to the next round?

mashdi

Football Legend
Sep 29, 2005
Nevertheless, I agree totally that blowing some good players from Uzbek and S. Korea will benefit is drastically and very realistic that happens.
Yeah.but i don't think any ISP members will volunteer for that vital task.

Jun 9, 2004
Canada
The most Iran can manage against Lebanon is a 1-0 win.
I have a sneaky suspicion that's going to end up being another pitcher I'm going to sucker you into! ;)

The best case scenario for Iran is a very hard fought (fast pace with lots of fouls, yellows and possibly reds) draw between Uzbekistan and S. Korea. The assumption for all of this is of course that we're going to have to beat Lebanon to have any chance of direct qualification and that we will. I think that we will beat them with a high goal margin in Azadi like the last game, but let's assume we can manage at least a 2 goal margin.

That means the 3 teams are going to go into their last game with Iran on top of the table and Korea and Uzbekistan trailing by one point - Iran only needs a draw to qualify, but Korea and Uzbekistan will both need a win. In other words, they will be in exactly the same position that we're usually in with the last game and we all know how those situations pan out. The pressure is too much, you have to keep attacking and both Iran and Qatar are very capable of changing the tide in those situations.

Let's face it, TM may have problems scoring, but we have been scored on only 7 times in 14 games in this campaign and only 2 in the last 6 games against these same opponents and that's exactly the type of opponent you don't want to be facing in your last game needing to win if you were the very tanned, but not so handsome ;) Korean coach.

I think this is by far the best scenario where we go into the last game leading the table and the pressure is on Korea and Uzbekistan to have to win their last games - and both of them have to manage that feat or we're through regardless of the result. The other two scenarios mean that the pressure will be off one of these two teams and back on us to have to win our last game (not to depend on the result of the other game) and that's going to be a disaster against a Korean team playing in front of home fans and not wanting to lose to Iran twice in one campaign. It will be even worse than 2010 when they had at least tied their game in Tehran!

soroushk

Bench Warmer
Oct 5, 2004
New York
I have a sneaky suspicion that's going to end up being another pitcher I'm going to sucker you into! ;)

The best case scenario for Iran is a very hard fought (fast pace with lots of fouls, yellows and possibly reds) draw between Uzbekistan and S. Korea. The assumption for all of this is of course that we're going to have to beat Lebanon to have any chance of direct qualification and that we will. I think that we will beat them with a high goal margin in Azadi like the last game, but let's assume we can manage at least a 2 goal margin.

That means the 3 teams are going to go into their last game with Iran on top of the table and Korea and Uzbekistan trailing by one point - Iran only needs a draw to qualify, but Korea and Uzbekistan will both need a win. In other words, they will be in exactly the same position that we're usually in with the last game and we all know how those situations pan out. The pressure is too much, you have to keep attacking and both Iran and Qatar are very capable of changing the tide in those situations.

Let's face it, TM may have problems scoring, but we have been scored on only 7 times in 14 games in this campaign and only 2 in the last 6 games against these same opponents and that's exactly the type of opponent you don't want to be facing in your last game needing to win if you were the very tanned, but not so handsome ;) Korean coach.

I think this is by far the best scenario where we go into the last game leading the table and the pressure is on Korea and Uzbekistan to have to win their last games - and both of them have to manage that feat or we're through regardless of the result. The other two scenarios mean that the pressure will be off one of these two teams and back on us to have to win our last game (not to depend on the result of the other game) and that's going to be a disaster against a Korean team playing in front of home fans and not wanting to lose to Iran twice in one campaign. It will be even worse than 2010 when they had at least tied their game in Tehran!
I agree! I think Uzbekistan and Korea drawing would be the best case for us.

Jul 5, 2008
Melbourne
Draw or loss for either S.Korea & Uzbekistan, our faith is in our own hands.

We should focus on not repeating history and dropping points in the "easier" games, instead of worrying what S.Korea & Uzbekistan will do, we should really be worried about finishing off the job in Azadi even before we travel to Seoul, knowing Team Melli we could very well make things harder for ourselves in Azadi. Next Tuesday things will be much clearer of what we will need to do travelling to Korea for the last game, but until then its way to early to be talking about skinning the animal, even before you have had a chance to kill it.

A win in Azadi & minimum a draw in Korea will in nearly all circumstances notch us one of the 2 direct spots, so i say lets focus on doing our job instead of worrying about others. I believe Korea will beat Uzbekistan because the last thing they will want is to go up against Iran needing the 3points to qualify.

mashdi

Football Legend
Sep 29, 2005
Uzbeks are playing a friendly against China right now. 0-0 minute 16.

Uzbeks are playing a physical game.2 of their players forced China keeper into his own net from a corner kick just now.