Who is the best MordehKhor (Cherry Picker) in TM history?

mashdi

Football Legend
Sep 29, 2005
Ali Asghar Modir Roosta is also up there in the list. he scored some classic mordeh-khori goals for TM,Pas,Peykan and Bahman.

Oct 16, 2002
DarvAze DoolAb
www.iransportspress.com
A mordekhor striker used to be a requirement for the defensive-minded teams of the past.

At some point (early 80s to mid 90s), Italians with their defensive game inspired all weaker teams around the world to focus on "not conceding" instead of scoring. This posed a big problem for the game as less and less chances were getting created. That's when "Mordkhor" players started to shine. They would stick around the opponent's box the whole game waiting for an opportunity to take a shot. They wouldn't even do much in terms of pressing. They'd just walk around. Their teams essentially played with 10 or 9 men at times (some teams had 2 mordekhors upfront!).

However, with the rise of complex tactics and fast wingers, the offside traps became increasingly high in depth. This became an issue for slow mordekhor players that couldn't keep up with the speed of thorough balls and the crazy runs of wingers. Managers also started demanding strikers to take part in pressing which left less stamina for mordekhori.

The perfect anti-mordekhor has evolved into a few players like Drogba (massively contributing striker), Rooney and Villa. These players took the striker role to a whole new level.

oghabealborz

Elite Member
Feb 18, 2005
Strawberry field
Mazloomi's nickname was MordeKhor...
Always at the right spot ,cunning and smart with a good eye for the goal , even if he didnt score himself he had a role in the goals scored somehow ,like Ghelich second goal against Australia ,Parvin's goal against Poland or Ghelich penalty against the USSR . the frustrated perspolis fans called him mordekhor .. however I call him the great opportunist ..that is who Gholam Hossein Mazloomi was !

:iran:

Oct 18, 2002
Los LAshkhores, Casifornia
Always at the right spot ,cunning and smart with a good eye for the goal , even if he didnt score himself he had a role in the goals scored somehow ,like Ghelich second goal against Australia ,Parvin's goal against Poland or Ghelich penalty against the USSR . the frustrated perspolis fans called him mordekhor .. however I call him the great opportunist ..that is who Gholam Hossein Mazloomi was !

Ditto! Mazloomi was an efficient finisher, often creating a goal out of an otherwise uneventful situation.
:dametjoosh:

Finally

Elite Member
Oct 18, 2002
Ditto! Mazloomi was an efficient finisher, often creating a goal out of an otherwise uneventful situation.
:dametjoosh:

Che khoob baraye ham miborid va midoozid. Bala berin, paeen biyan, Mazloomi was the greatest MordeKhor Iran has ever seen and no matter how you sugarcoat it, it won't change this fact.

Last edited:
Oct 18, 2002
Antelope Valley,California
Mazloumi is the greatest opportunist that we have had. Frustrated low football IQ fans, as is the norm in our culture, had to put a negative twist to it and call it mordekhor...

He was smart enough to be in the right place at the right time and put himself in the position. Now if taht is morde khori , be it...

Farshad pious was another good one at that.

About Mazloumi... I don't think I have ever seen anyone (that includes Borhani) to have missed easy goals, one on ones..I have actually seen him couple of times dribbling the goalie and still miss the empty net. But he would offset that by making hard to score or almost impossible goals. I saw him score on pespes on a header from the left edge of 18 box, only a game after he missed an empty net against daraii .

kasra1930

National Team Player
Dec 30, 2011
Che khoob baraye ham miborid va midoozid. Bala berin, paeen biyan, Mazloomi was the greatest MordeKhor Iran has ever seen and no matter how you sugar quote it, it won't change this fact.
I do not think so my friend,mazloumi was an ACE in our history.as footballist said,he was very efficient.
he is one of the most efficient striker in history of football.his nickname was (( the vulture))...he had three major abilities,I)HE WAS ABLE TO SHOOT AND WORK WITH BOTH FEET 2)had a great heading ability 3)as foot ballist said......
he scored 2 efficent goal against south korea in Asian olympic games in 1974,while iran was under attack by korean team,we won that game 2-0 just by him....
he was a ACE for taj tehran too,he was the top scorer in the leageue too.....and most of the goals against perspolis was scoed by him.....:2:

Finally

Elite Member
Oct 18, 2002
I do not think so my friend,mazloumi was an ACE in our history.as footballist said,he was very efficient.
he is one of the most efficient striker in history of football.his nickname was (( the vulture))...he had three major abilities,I)HE WAS ABLE TO SHOOT AND WORK WITH BOTH FEET 2)had a great heading ability 3)as foot ballist said......
he scored 2 efficent goal against south korea in Asian olympic games in 1974,while iran was under attack by korean team,we won that game 2-0 just by him....
he was a ACE for taj tehran too,he was the top scorer in the leageue too.....and most of the goals against perspolis was scoed by him.....:2:
Kasra Jan, Mazloomi scored 5 goals against Perspolise same with Jabari. Safar Iranpak holds the derby title with 7 goals followed by Kalani with 6 goals.
ACE or no ACE, he was nicknamed as a Morde Khord and he deserved that title.

Finally

Elite Member
Oct 18, 2002
Mazloumi is the greatest opportunist that we have had. Frustrated low football IQ fans, as is the norm in our culture, had to put a negative twist to it and call it mordekhor...

He was smart enough to be in the right place at the right time and put himself in the position. Now if taht is morde khori , be it...

Farshad pious was another good one at that.

About Mazloumi... I don't think I have ever seen anyone (that includes Borhani) to have missed easy goals, one on ones..I have actually seen him couple of times dribbling the goalie and still miss the empty net. But he would offset that by making hard to score or almost impossible goals. I saw him score on pespes on a header from the left edge of 18 box, only a game after he missed an empty net against daraii .
Typical Taji low IQ response.

kasra1930

National Team Player
Dec 30, 2011
Kasra Jan, Mazloomi scored 5 goals against Perspolise same with Jabari. Safar Iranpak holds the derby title with 7 goals followed by Kalani with 6 goals.
ACE or no ACE, he was nicknamed as a Morde Khord and he deserved that title.
finally jan: personally,although I AM TAJI,but I am not a fenatic fan,there is no doubt safar iranpaak,homayoun behzadi,kalani,were great,not only they were not mordekhor,but also great football players of all time,and I do not think any body at this time except ali daei,could have reached them,about mazloumi same thing he was one of the greatest at his time,that is why he was known as the vulture at his era....but even comparing those players with each other is also a big mistake,they had different styles,systems,and great strikers,believe me or not,if I had to choose 3 players out of 4,I could not choose 3 of them for sure,because all 4 were great and it was a tough task to put one of them aside,...
now,personally I do not agree with word (mordekhor),in football,this word produced by the team opponents which were very jealous of the others,but in reality,these players are opportunistic,they get an oppurtunity and they score a goal,either from a dead ball,or .....
Gerd Muller,was one of the example,see world cup final in 74,he did not do anything,except he got a ball and scored!! this was the only thing he did at final!!! he was not a mordekhor but a real oppurtunistic...
2)BTW,this was my personal opinion,and it does not mean what I said was correct.this was my experience I got from soccer as a soccer fan....but I am happy to hear more about your opinions too....

Farsheed

Bench Warmer
Jun 6, 2003
finally jan: personally,although I AM TAJI,but I am not a fenatic fan,there is no doubt safar iranpaak,homayoun behzadi,kalani,were great,not only they were not mordekhor,but also great football players of all time,and I do not think any body at this time except ali daei,could have reached them,about mazloumi same thing he was one of the greatest at his time,that is why he was known as the vulture at his era....but even comparing those players with each other is also a big mistake,they had different styles,systems,and great strikers,believe me or not,if I had to choose 3 players out of 4,I could not choose 3 of them for sure,because all 4 were great and it was a tough task to put one of them aside,...
now,personally I do not agree with word (mordekhor),in football,this word produced by the team opponents which were very jealous of the others,but in reality,these players are opportunistic,they get an oppurtunity and they score a goal,either from a dead ball,or .....
Gerd Muller,was one of the example,see world cup final in 74,he did not do anything,except he got a ball and scored!! this was the only thing he did at final!!! he was not a mordekhor but a real oppurtunistic...
2)BTW,this was my personal opinion,and it does not mean what I said was correct.this was my experience I got from soccer as a soccer fan....but I am happy to hear more about your opinions too....
In English they have a term that sounds better, cherry picker. Implying easy goals. The cherry pickers or mordeh khors have a talent to be at the right place at the right time. Their goals are not spectacular, and they look easy. They look easy because they have a talent to be at the right place at the right time.

Among the great strikers of that were mentioned, I would actually put Safar Iranpak in the mordehkhor category. He scored lots goals, but they were seldom spectacular or due to his athletic ability.

Among the 4 mentioned, I would not have a hard time picking the top two. It would be Behzadi and Kalani for me. Having said that, Mazloumi and Iranpak are two of the best strikers of all time in Iran history.

Last edited: