2013 World Wrestling Championships

mashdi

Football Legend
Sep 29, 2005
Watched a good deal of the bouts including Iran's bouts live on FIFA site as well as IRIB- Shabakeye Varzesh. some real good bouts and the rules changes have made wrestling much more exciting with plenty of points per bouts as attacking minded wrestlers managed to use all sorts of wrestling techniques.

Iran was behind Russia by 7 points , but in the last day Russian wrestler was eliminated while young Akbari (from Jooybar Mazandaran) did the highly improbable and managed to defeat some world class wrestlers to win Silver medal and put Iran on top to win World Championship. :)

And another great wrestler from Jooybar Mazandaran overcame his horrible recent injury to win Gold. Reza Yazdani AKA : Palange Jooybar. :)

Nov 24, 2002
can any one say why there is 7 weights ? used to be 10 in past and in Olympic if I am not wrong we had 8 or 9 !!

Agha Shojaa

Elite Member
Nov 8, 2002
Canada
Rasoul khadem was a genius as a wrestler, and now is doing an amazing job as a head coach. One wrestler I really missed in this competition was Sadegh Goudarzi. A true fighter who wrestles Iranian style. Don't know why he never made the list.

mashdi

Football Legend
Sep 29, 2005
Rasoul khadem was a genius as a wrestler, and now is doing an amazing job as a head coach. One wrestler I really missed in this competition was Sadegh Goudarzi. A true fighter who wrestles Iranian style. Don't know why he never made the list.
Young Akbari won the TM selection competition (entekhabi) and qualified for this tourney. Sadegh Goudarzi was Aklbari's backup & training partner and attended TM training camps and accompanied TM squad in Budapest.

mashdi

Football Legend
Sep 29, 2005
can any one say why there is 7 weights ? used to be 10 in past and in Olympic if I am not wrong we had 8 or 9 !!
It's been in 7 weights for ages since 2002 for all major senior competitions including Olympics,World Championships , etc. :)

London Olympics (2012) was also in 7 weights both in Free Style & Greco-Roman.Beijing Olympics (2008) & Athens Olympics (2004) also had 7 weights.

Sydney Olympics (2000) was the last Olympics with 8 weights. the Games that Alireza Dabir won Gold. :)

Since 2002 , both Free Style & Greco-Roman were reduced to 7 weights for all major senior competitions. 2002 is the year that Iran won World Championship in Free Style in Tehran. i was there at Azadi and watched the whole thing including Mehdi Hajizadeh's title winning Gold medal in the final night of the competition. :)

Nov 24, 2002
does any one know why saurian didn't make it?did he retire ?he is still young (28) , the guy who lost today( faghihi) was in his weight

mashdi

Football Legend
Sep 29, 2005
does any one know why saurian didn't make it?did he retire ?he is still young (28) , the guy who lost today( faghihi) was in his weight
Sooriyan didn't participate in TM selection competition (entekhabi). there were early rumours that he wanted to run for Tehran city council but it never happened.

some other Greco-Roman wrestlers from London Olympics team are also absent in this tourney. they haven't been happy with the course of events in wrestling federation since Bana left TM coaching staff.

Mohammad Faghiri is a young wrestler who won the TM selection competition and qualified to this tourney. he had a very good bout today and lost a close one against an excellent Peter Modos who won Bronze in London Olympics. Faghiri didn't really have much of an International experience prior to this tourney as trips to several recent International tourneys were cancelled due to lack of funding by wrestling federation.

Nov 24, 2002
Sooriyan didn't participate in TM selection competition (entekhabi). there were early rumours that he wanted to run for Tehran city council but it never happened.

some other Greco-Roman wrestlers from London Olympics team are also absent in this tourney. they haven't been happy with the course of events in wrestling federation since Bana left TM coaching staff.

Mohammad Faghiri is a young wrestler who won the TM selection competition and qualified to this tourney. he had a very good bout today and lost a close one against an excellent Peter Modos who won Bronze in London Olympics. Faghiri didn't really have much of an International experience prior to this tourney as trips to several recent International tourneys were cancelled due to lack of funding by wrestling federation.
I saw a video of saurian who was watching faghiri competition among the fans in stand,, so I hope the one who won medal in Olympic make it for next competition

mashdi

Football Legend
Sep 29, 2005
I saw a video of saurian who was watching faghiri competition among the fans in stand,, so I hope the one who won medal in Olympic make it for next competition
Sooriyan and a few other wrestlers from different countries were invited to Hungary for a FILA appreciation ceremony.

There are several good young talents in 55kg who had close competitions in TM selection rounds (entekhabi). if the federation funding gets sorted out then i expect them to send those young talents to various International tourneys to gain experience. Sooriyan will have to start training and earn his place by taking part in TM selection rounds and wrestle against the likes of Mohammad Faghiri , Vali Alizadeh , Saman Abdevali , Ebrahim Toranj & Edris Takhti.

Nov 24, 2002
taleb nematpour(84KG) won his first 3 rounds vs belrous , kazak and polish wrestlers . solid wreslting in all 3 matches by him

mashdi , another Q ? do you know why timing and rules are different in Greco roman compare to free style ( I mean time and clinch in Greco roman ?!?!?)

mashdi

Football Legend
Sep 29, 2005
taleb nematpour(84KG) won his first 3 rounds vs belrous , kazak and polish wrestlers . solid wreslting in all 3 matches by him

mashdi , another Q ? do you know why timing and rules are different in Greco roman compare to free style ( I mean time and clinch in Greco roman ?!?!?)
Well , good to see that the dreadful lottery-clinch is scrapped from free style. it's going back to old days and makes it more exciting.so many points now getting scored by technical wrestlers.and no more points for pushing the opponent off the mat unless you're actually trying a technique (fan).

The clinch in Greco-Roman had to be set to be different from free style as you can not grab legs (like free style clinch) in Greco-Roman. so they came up with this idea of sitting the wrestler in " khak " to allow the other wrestler to work on some points.

mashdi

Football Legend
Sep 29, 2005
84 kg : Nematpoor is in the final and will wrestle against Tahmassebi from Azerbaijan for Gold today.

Tahmassebi is Iranian and used to wrestle for TM Iran in various age groups.he joined Azerbaijan national team a couple of years ago.

96 kg : Aliyari is in Bronze medal bout and will wrestle against Balazs Kiss from Hungary for Bronze today. Aliyari won 2 tough bouts against Bulgarian & Kazak wrestlers to reach the Bronze medal match. his only loss was to Armenian wrestler Aleksanyan who made it to the final match.