A Selection from "Resaleh" (Towzih ol Masael) Book of Ayatollah Ruhollah Khomeini

Aug 26, 2009
You're still making too many assumptions based on other assumptions. Essentially, building an argument on a premise that is based on another premise which is based on another premise of which all are held to be true merely because we have faith that they are true.

How do we know God has infinite knowledge? How do we know we do not have the capacity to have infinite knowledge? If we don't, then there's no need to give us tidbits progressively as the capacity is never there. If we do have it, or are capable of having it, then sure it is in the hands (figuratively) of the creator to bestow us such a power.

Essentially, why should god have to put up with our limitations, when he created us...and could have done so without putting any limitations on us. And why would god, knowing he has put limitations on us, give us a message that has been through history perverted (if indeed the perversion isn't the message itself) that would cause our own destruction?

Again, it's nonsensical. If god wanted to tell us something, he should give us the capacity to be able to understand that message to our full benefit. A god that doesn't, seems like a god that is just toying with us. Purposely making us flawed and then making us play chinese whispers. Hmm.
Kazem jaan,
This last post was not an answer to what I was saying.
Here is whats happening: you implied that Quran copied from the bible (because they both say "6 days").
I made the above to post to prove that Quran did not copy from the bible.
That is the scope of my argument right now. And that is what I presented. You are going outside the circumference of my point dear.

Meehandoost

Bench Warmer
Sep 4, 2005
You're still making too many assumptions based on other assumptions. Essentially, building an argument on a premise that is based on another premise which is based on another premise of which all are held to be true merely because we have faith that they are true.

How do we know God has infinite knowledge? How do we know we do not have the capacity to have infinite knowledge? If we don't, then there's no need to give us tidbits progressively as the capacity is never there. If we do have it, or are capable of having it, then surely it is in the hands (figuratively) of the creator to bestow us such a power.

Essentially, why should god have to put up with our limitations, when he created us...and could have done so without putting any limitations on us. And why would god, knowing he has put limitations on us, give us a message that has been through history perverted (if indeed the perversion isn't the message itself) that would cause our own destruction?

Again, it's nonsensical. If god wanted to tell us something, he should give us the capacity to be able to understand that message to our full benefit. A god that doesn't, seems like a god that is just toying with us. Purposely making us flawed and then making us play chinese whispers which eventually has lead to us killing each other.
Recall dear we were discussing the relativity of truths, and that all truths and our understanding of all truths, religious, scientific or otherwise, is in a state of flux and evolution. This is simply expressing a fact and quality of life. Do you disagree with this? Regarding your last paragraph, bear in mind that the "prime directive" of this level of existence is that of "free choice".

Although you are correct that the discussion has been based on the assumption that at a basic level we agree with the existence of a "creator", is this a correct assumption?

Ardesheer

Bench Warmer
Jun 30, 2005

How do we know God has infinite knowledge? How do we know we do not have the capacity to have infinite knowledge? If we don't, then there's no need to give us tidbits progressively as the capacity is never there. If we do have it, or are capable of having it, then surely it is in the hands (figuratively) of the creator to bestow us such a power.

Again, it's nonsensical. If god wanted to tell us something, he should give us the capacity to be able to understand that message to our full benefit. A god that doesn't, seems like a god that is just toying with us. Purposely making us flawed and then making us play chinese whispers which eventually has lead to us killing each other.
You are looking at it the wrong way, my dear, and that's why it's nonsensical. This is religion we are talking about, and the leading edge of all, Islam. See, first you must believe and have faith, then you ask and answer the questions the way that fits your belief. You don't ask questions, get answers and then believe. If you go this way, you ask questions, don't get answers or get nonsensical answers, then you don't believe and end up in hell with me.

Jun 7, 2004
I'll be frank, what you have said here for me is pretty amazing, and fantastically unbelievable. Yet it's no secret how I value your opinion and you are no doubt knowledgeable in many other subjects. So I know you are not an unintelligible person and I ask you to elaborate so I can begin to understand what you are saying. Normally, I wouldn't think twice to dismiss what you've just said here as I've heard it all before and heard being refuted all before.
Kaz jaan, it is good to be frank:

2:189...It is not righteous to beat around the bush; righteousness is attained by upholding the commandments and by being straightforward. You shall observe GOD, that you may succeed.

I appreciate the nice things you said about me in your last paragraph. Areas where you seem to find my opinion as valuable are also areas where I have derived my ideas directly from the Quran. This should be additional reason for a pause on what in your own mind you may consider as an easy shut case.

What it is, is that you are arguing against what is most obviously false. Same with Richard Dawkins. There is no real long-term gain for you there. It is only the passing satisfaction of beating up on hapless people and ideas. In case of Richard Dawkins at least there is real and large gains both financially and in social glory. He is a professional religionist.

Yes, no doubt, most religious people do in fact make the type of mistakes that you point out. And most religions no doubt have the obvious errors that you point out. However, it is not all. Furthermore, similar mistakes are made by non-religious people. And there are similar mistakes in non-religious dogmas. In reality, from my point of view, there is not that much difference between the two.

For example, you are making obvious mistakes in arguing a point without having sufficient knowledge. Your posts clearly show that you just do not have a cursory knowledge of the Quran yet you are arguing as if you do know in generalizing what has nothing to do with the Quran.

I believe the Quran is the literal word of God, the Creator of the Universe, in exactly the same way that I believe the law of gravity. It is based on the laws of reality, on proof, and believing what is more likely. Absolutely, it is not based on the type of faith that Dawkins describes then proceeds to refute with much glory. Big deal, maybe we should pass him a cookie for stating that the sun is bright. In contrast, I am certain that the Bible is not the literal word of God, and I am certain that all other religious sources of Islam are not the word of God. More than all this, I am absolutely certain that there is no god but the One god; I am much more certain of this than any other comparable fact.

I can go through your points, one by one, but that would be too long a post. Instead, if you are interested, pick one particular point, and I will, God willing try to respond.

Aug 26, 2005
Kazem jaan,
This last post was not an answer to what I was saying.
Here is whats happening: you implied that Quran copied from the bible (because they both say "6 days").
I made the above to post to prove that Quran did not copy from the bible.
That is the scope of my argument right now. And that is what I presented. You are going outside the circumference of my point dear.
Thinkpad jan, it wasn't an answer to your post. Your post is just a repeat of your previous statement so I thought to save time and not give the same answer.

Muslims believe their religion is the last extension of the abrahamic faiths. Now the other two abrahamic faiths say 6 days. Correct? In Islam, it ALSO says 6 days. However, there is a confusion because ayyam can also mean "long periods" but in my mind that is the false interpretation because we already have precedents on that story and there is little reason for Islam to have diverged at all. AFAIK there is no explanation why Islam went from days to possibly eons so why interpret as such? Because it fits in with modern science? To me, this is revisionism.

And even as muslims try to argue that time is relative in Islam - look at the parts I quoted - it still puts them wildly off any correct date.

Recall dear we were discussing the relativity of truths, and that all truths and our understanding of all truths, religious, scientific or otherwise, is in a state of flux and evolution. This is simply expressing a fact and quality of life. Do you disagree with this? Regarding your last paragraph, bear in mind that the "prime directive" of this level of existence is that of "free choice".

Although you are correct that the discussion has been based on the assumption that at a basic level we agree with the existence of a "creator", is this a correct assumption?
I don't think relativity comes into it. We are talking about god and his absolutes. In the faith of Islam, we talk about the last prophet and hence the last message. If truth is relative, so are morals and if so, then the message has to continuously be given again and again, all the time. Not just in terms of time, but in terms of place, people and all other factors that can change the meaning of truth and make it relative. So they are meant to be taken as absolutes.

Now, that may be a flaw in people, that we all see things from our perspective, but that too then becomes god's responsibility for having created us. If god wants us to follow certain guidelines, you'd think he'd give us the capacity to be uniform.

In essense, it comes down to the question of: if we need instructions by god, why did god make us flawed to begin with to need them? It's akin to a mechanic purposely creating a faulty engine just so he can tamper with it later.

You are looking at it the wrong way, my dear, and that's why it's nonsensical. This is religion we are talking about, and the leading edge of all, Islam. See, first you must believe and have faith, then you ask and answer the questions the way that fits your belief. You don't ask questions, get answers and then believe. If you go this way, you ask questions, don't get answers or get nonsensical answers, then you don't believe and end up in hell with me.
But see, it's nonsensical to begin with. Why should I have faith and believe FIRST. That should be awarded after Islam or whatever religion has earned that trust. If you take belief in god and his prophets and all these miracles as a given... then of course you're going to believe in everything else. But that wouldn't make sense.

It's like you believing that I have some magic beans...whether I can prove they are magic or not is not important because you have faith. I sell you these magic beans for 1,000,000 dollars. I tell you, these beans will sprout into a tree of gold, and if they don't in this life, you will be awarded with all riches in the next life. So you sit and plant them and wait...

Last edited:
Aug 26, 2005
I appreciate the nice things you said about me in your last paragraph. Areas where you seem to find my opinion as valuable are also areas where I have derived my ideas directly from the Quran. This should be additional reason for a pause on what in your own mind you may consider as an easy shut case.
It does give me a pause FP jan but not a good one. For me, why I believe in something is just as important as how I've come to believe it.

What it is, is that you are arguing against what is most obviously false. Same with Richard Dawkins. There is no real long-term gain for you there. It is only the passing satisfaction of beating up on hapless people and ideas. In case of Richard Dawkins at least there is real and large gains both financially and in social glory. He is a professional religionist.
I am not beating upon hapless people. All people have brains and a capacity to reason. My long term gain comes from the cessation of wasting our resources; naturally, emotionally, economically, etc, on something that frankly has done us as much bad as it has good - if the good can be measured at all.

Yes, no doubt, most religious people do in fact make the type of mistakes that you point out. And most religions no doubt have the obvious errors that you point out. However, it is not all. Furthermore, similar mistakes are made by non-religious people. And there are similar mistakes in non-religious dogmas. In reality, from my point of view, there is not that much difference between the two.
Like which non-religious dogma? Politics? I consider that almost another form of religion. Scientific dogmas? I much rather those, that bear a standard of proof and are restrained by the scientific model than that which has no leash. If all beliefs, or people, are flawed, I'd much rather hold the beliefs that are less flawed or be more intelligible myself. I would not equate them at all, it is not black and white. The reality in science, for example, is that even if a false belief is held it will be corrected in the same vein it was created. One cannot do that with religion, there is nothing to disprove as there was nothing proven to begin with.

For example, you are making obvious mistakes in arguing a point without having sufficient knowledge. Your posts clearly show that you just do not have a cursory knowledge of the Quran yet you are arguing as if you do know in generalizing what has nothing to do with the Quran.
Well, point out the obvious mistakes.

I believe the Quran is the literal word of God, the Creator of the Universe, in exactly the same way that I believe the law of gravity. It is based on the laws of reality, on proof, and believing what is more likely. Absolutely, it is not based on the type of faith that Dawkins describes then proceeds to refute with much glory. Big deal, maybe we should pass him a cookie for stating that the sun is bright. In contrast, I am certain that the Bible is not the literal word of God, and I am certain that all other religious sources of Islam are not the word of God. More than all this, I am absolutely certain that there is no god but the One god; I am much more certain of this than any other comparable fact.
How do you even begin to equate the two? The laws of gravity are up for stringent testing, and have survived them. It is a force that can be exemplified simply by dropping an apple from your hand.

Neither the Quran or any holy book has ever demonstrated any of it's truths. It has merely claimed them. There is no difference between believing in the Phoenix (mythological creature) or god. Neither can be proven to even exist.

I can go through your points, one by one, but that would be too long a post. Instead, if you are interested, pick one particular point, and I will, God willing try to respond.
If you would please, I'd rather you elaborate on the point of how science and religion have 0 difference as you said and how the Quran has actually proven anything.

Last edited:
Jun 7, 2004
It does give me a pause FP jan but not a good one. For me, why I believe in something is just as important as how I've come to believe it.

I am not beating upon hapless people. All people have brains and a capacity to reason. My long term gain comes from the cessation of wasting our resources; naturally, emotionally, economically, etc, on something that frankly has done us as much bad as it has good - if the good can be measured at all.
Kaz jaan, in two successive paragraphs you are more or less in contradiction. In the first you are suggesting that it is not of supreme importance that another person that you happen to respect his opinions in certain matter happens to believe in something, and that you must have your own reasons. And you are absolutely correct. In your second paragraph you are saying that you do not believe something because people who have believed in it have done harm. Instead you should have your own reasons. In one case you are stating that it is not right to pass judgment on the truth of something primarily based on the opinion and behavior of another human being, in another you are saying your reason you do not believe something is the behavior of other humans. Using humans in this way as a judgment of truth is an absolutely wrong choice. It can instead only be a prompt, at best, a cause for a pause; that is all.

Lastly, almost all people do have brains and capacity to reason but all humans, including you and me have a far, far greater capacity to lie to their own selves by covering the truth from their own immediate awareness. It is much easier to see this in others, and you have spotted it, but don't think even for a minute that you do not do this with your self, and often. The hope is that you do it less often and continue to improve. This by the way is the accurate meaning of kofr what is translated as disbelief, an inaccurate translation because there is no equivalent word for it in English or Persian. It means knowing deep, deep down about a truth of a matter but covering it from one's own immediate awareness. Isn't that the dominant mode on this board for example?
Like which non-religious dogma? Politics? I consider that almost another form of religion. Scientific dogmas?
Yes, for the most part people hold political dogmas, you are right. And science in popular culture is essentially a marketing tool. If you want your dogma to sound good you call it scientific or science. Things like social sciences are not sciences, maybe a few small pieces here and there. And much of physical science is also dogma, including the majority of published work. Still this is not what I meant. What I meant was much simpler than that. Your 6 day argument in this very thread is a dogma and it is very similar to the dogmas that religious people hold. You are doing much the same as the fault you find with religion and religious people.

For example, you started by saying that days referred to in the Quran must mean earthly days. When you were at length refuted, your argument was that it does not matter any way because, it must be a copy of earlier religious text that do in fact seem to straightforwardly mean earthly days. Not so. It matters a lot. It means that part of the hypothesis you put forth was refuted and thus your hypothesis is weakened. You were not aware that not just in Arabic the word straight forwardly means period or eons in addition to days, but that in fact in the text itself term is used to refer to varying periods of time. You have to now come up with a new argument that you did not initially present to stick with the same hypothesis. This immediately weakens your hypothesis and you should have acknowledged and revised the strength of your hypothesis, scientifically speaking.

Furthermore, that new argument is weak and fails to consider other possibilities. On top of that, there is already existing evidence that hugely weakens your hypothesis but you have chosen to ignore it. That is, if in fact the Quran is a copy of the earlier text, and if in fact it meant day as in earthly days as your hypothesis goes, then it should be expected that the same mistakes from the Bible that seems to identify days as earthly days would carry through. It doesn't. And it is not just that, you continue to argue that James Usher concluded that the world is 4,000 years. You fail to know how and if you did it would weaken your hypothesis even further. The way Usher did it, the same as the way Isaac Newton did it, is that he primarily used the two accounts in the Bible of the lineage and age of Jewish prophets all the way to Adam that is then linked to the beginning of the Universe. There is no such account in the Quran. Furthermore, the opposite is stated in the Quran. That the world had existed for ages and ages before man appeared. Here is the verse:

76:1 Is it not a fact that there was ages when man was nothing to even be mentioned.

Scientifically you can at best state, why are 6 eons specified and is it or is it not in agreement with existing observation.

There is some evidence. First, the verses straightforwardly indicate that our universe had a beginning. This is only recently in agreement with scientific observation. Prior to George Lemaitre based on Einstein's the common theory was that the Universe had always existed. In fact Lemaitre and later Einstein only made a hypothesis that there was a bing bang. Observations to confirm only came much later. Further, it was fiercely opposed to in particular by atheist scientist, not by accident. It is thus in fact in agreement with observation. Second in the Quran while it specifies that the Universe was created in 6 eons it specifies that the earth was created in 2 eons. Here is the verse:

41:9 Say, "You disbelieve in the One who created the earth in two days, and you set up idols to rank with Him, though He is Lord of the universe."

Is this in agreement or disagreement with observations to date? It is in excellent agreement. Best evidence to date points to the age of the earth to be 4.54 billion years plus or minus 1%. 4.54*6/2=13.62. Best evidence to date puts the age of the Universe between 13.5 to 14.0. Then straightforwardly from the verses of the Quran it should be expected that the age of the Universe.
There is no difference between believing in the Phoenix (mythological creature) or god. Neither can be proven to even exist.
It is the One god. There is all the difference in the world. If you cannot figure this one out, then I am absolutely certain that you you are beyond lost.
If you would please, I'd rather you elaborate on the point of how science and religion have 0 difference as you said and how the Quran has actually proven anything.
It has zero difference to me. It most certainly has a large difference to most, in particular in the west "intellectuals" or religious, little difference between the two, of the west. As shown above for example. You must make a hypothesis, then draw consequences from it, then put it to the test. And there is much, much more. The simplest fact is that if the Quran or any other book is from God, then the laws of reality dictate that it must declare about itself to be from God and infallible. It does. And immediately at the beginning. And no other book that I know of does this. This fact alone is signicant but of course insufficient support for it to be from God. The reason it is significant support is that, to this day, even the absolute majority of scientist do not understand the significance of making tests after the hypothesis is put forward and confuse observations leading to the hypothesis with the tests made after it has been put forth.

Ardesheer

Bench Warmer
Jun 30, 2005
Really? Here is the translation of two verses in Quran from an Islamic web site (no Christian translation, no neocons, anti-Islamic people, etc.) So, you believe these are the words of the Creator of Universe. I know that tons of interpretations are now going to pour in about Tashbeeh and what the words really mean, etc. But, this is the translation by a Muslim on an Islamic site, and there are many other translations like this.

http://www.submission.org/suras/sura4.htm
[4:15] Those who commit adultery among your women, you must have four witnesses against them, from among you. If they do bear witness, then you shall keep such women in their homes until they die, or until GOD creates an exit for them.
[4:34] The men are made responsible for the women, ** and GOD has endowed them with certain qualities, and made them the bread earners. The righteous women will cheerfully accept this arrangement, since it is GOD's commandment, and honor their husbands during their absence. If you experience rebellion from the women, you shall first talk to them, then (you may use negative incentives like) deserting them in bed, then you may (as a last alternative) beat them. If they obey you, you are not permitted to transgress against them. GOD is Most High, Supreme.

Oct 18, 2002
Really? Here is the translation of two verses in Quran from an Islamic web site (no Christian translation, no neocons, anti-Islamic people, etc.) So, you believe these are the words of the Creator of Universe.
You never know. The creator of universe might have just had a really bad day with his wife and wanted to get even when he sent those verses down.

Aug 26, 2005
Kaz jaan, in two successive paragraphs you are more or less in contradiction. In the first you are suggesting that it is not of supreme importance that another person that you happen to respect his opinions in certain matter happens to believe in something, and that you must have your own reasons. And you are absolutely correct. In your second paragraph you are saying that you do not believe something because people who have believed in it have done harm. Instead you should have your own reasons. In one case you are stating that it is not right to pass judgment on the truth of something primarily based on the opinion and behavior of another human being, in another you are saying your reason you do not believe something is the behavior of other humans. Using humans in this way as a judgment of truth is an absolutely wrong choice. It can instead only be a prompt, at best, a cause for a pause; that is all.

Lastly, almost all people do have brains and capacity to reason but all humans, including you and me have a far, far greater capacity to lie to their own selves by covering the truth from their own immediate awareness. It is much easier to see this in others, and you have spotted it, but don't think even for a minute that you do not do this with your self, and often. The hope is that you do it less often and continue to improve. This by the way is the accurate meaning of kofr what is translated as disbelief, an inaccurate translation because there is no equivalent word for it in English or Persian. It means knowing deep, deep down about a truth of a matter but covering it from one's own immediate awareness. Isn't that the dominant mode on this board for example?
No, I think you've misunderstood what I've said mate.

It does matter to me what the people I respect think, that's not really brought up in my reply at all. My point is if both you and I believe something, that is fine. But if we get to the same point in different ways then I will treat our journey differently. A scientist may make a prediction in the weather and some other person may make the same correct prediction through some sort of witch-craft. The fact that they achieved the correct result is important only insofar that the procedure to getting that result is an intelligible one.

My second paragraph is not talking about why I don't believe in it. My point is a retort to those saying that religion is not harmful, even if it cannot prove what it preaches. To which I explained that the mere deviations in interpretation can cause travesties and these happen frequently; and in many cases you can't say that the people who interpreted religious texts in another way did it wrongly for the source of the information (i.e. god) is silent and unreachable for clarification.

For your last point; well I did say all people kid themselves ;). But, the assumption that people "deep down" know things to be right or wrong or truthful or false is a dangerous one. That's why I move towards science which does not care about what we believe, but rather what we can prove. And the model is stringent enough, also science has evolved enough, to keep people from abusing it in such elementary ways as they do in religion.

Yes, for the most part people hold political dogmas, you are right. And science in popular culture is essentially a marketing tool. If you want your dogma to sound good you call it scientific or science. Things like social sciences are not sciences, maybe a few small pieces here and there. And much of physical science is also dogma, including the majority of published work. Still this is not what I meant. What I meant was much simpler than that. Your 6 day argument in this very thread is a dogma and it is very similar to the dogmas that religious people hold. You are doing much the same as the fault you find with religion and religious people.

For example, you started by saying that days referred to in the Quran must mean earthly days. When you were at length refuted, your argument was that it does not matter any way because, it must be a copy of earlier religious text that do in fact seem to straightforwardly mean earthly days. Not so. It matters a lot. It means that part of the hypothesis you put forth was refuted and thus your hypothesis is weakened. You were not aware that not just in Arabic the word straight forwardly means period or eons in addition to days, but that in fact in the text itself term is used to refer to varying periods of time. You have to now come up with a new argument that you did not initially present to stick with the same hypothesis. This immediately weakens your hypothesis and you should have acknowledged and revised the strength of your hypothesis, scientifically speaking.
But you are incorrect. I knew very well that the muslims argue that ayyam means long periods of time. I even said so before Thinkpad - who brought it up - replied.

The reality is, if we look objectively, when we define a word or a word within a context, we look at it's use in similar context. For example, in law, when courts wish to determine the precise or accurate meaning or intended use of a word, they look at it's trade usage as well as how it may be defined in dictionaries or wherever else it was defined.

We know ayyam has several meanings: days, long periods of time, or eon. Each one of these is a wholly different period in length. So let's look at the context; the creation of the world. It is a story that was borrowed from the other abrahamic texts. In those texts, they used the meaning of ayyam in terms of days. So on what evidence should we take it that ayyam is meant to mean eons or an uncertain amount of time? AFAIK there is none and no one here has named any. Before science's discovery of how old the earth is and how long it took to form; there would have been no need for such revisionism. So now people are believing that it means eons; as that's the only way the story could still be relevant.

So, objectively, looking at the story and how it was told and the same usage of "days" across the board, I am not going to buy that it means eons to placate muslims.

Furthermore, that new argument is weak and fails to consider other possibilities. On top of that, there is already existing evidence that hugely weakens your hypothesis but you have chosen to ignore it. That is, if in fact the Quran is a copy of the earlier text, and if in fact it meant day as in earthly days as your hypothesis goes, then it should be expected that the same mistakes from the Bible that seems to identify days as earthly days would carry through. It doesn't. And it is not just that, you continue to argue that James Usher concluded that the world is 4,000 years. You fail to know how and if you did it would weaken your hypothesis even further. The way Usher did it, the same as the way Isaac Newton did it, is that he primarily used the two accounts in the Bible of the lineage and age of Jewish prophets all the way to Adam that is then linked to the beginning of the Universe. There is no such account in the Quran. Furthermore, the opposite is stated in the Quran. That the world had existed for ages and ages before man appeared. Here is the verse:
I don't understand your argment here. "then it should be expected that the same mistakes from the Bible that seems to identify days as earthly days would carry through." what does that mean? Carry through with what?

I know the Quran is not in exact agreement with the Bible; there are differences. That's not my point. My point is, if we are arguing that the Bible meant days, where the Quran means eons, where is that explanation given as to why they changed it and why it is different in that part?

What Ussher did was create a chronology based on the life times of all descendants of man - to which the Quran AFAIK doesn't disagree with (the same ancestors seem to be named. Based on those lifetimes, he came with the year 4004BC.

76:1 Is it not a fact that there was ages when man was nothing to even be mentioned.
Elsewhere, translated as: Qur'an 76:1 "There came over man a period of time when he was a thing not worth mentioning."

What does that mean and how does it back your assertion?

In the Bible there existed such a period too. Man was created on the 6th day.
Scientifically you can at best state, why are 6 eons specified and is it or is it not in agreement with existing observation.

There is some evidence. First, the verses straightforwardly indicate that our universe had a beginning. This is only recently in agreement with scientific observation. Prior to George Lemaitre based on Einstein's the common theory was that the Universe had always existed. In fact Lemaitre and later Einstein only made a hypothesis that there was a bing bang. Observations to confirm only came much later. Further, it was fiercely opposed to in particular by atheist scientist, not by accident. It is thus in fact in agreement with observation. Second in the Quran while it specifies that the Universe was created in 6 eons it specifies that the earth was created in 2 eons. Here is the verse:

41:9 Say, "You disbelieve in the One who created the earth in two days, and you set up idols to rank with Him, though He is Lord of the universe."

Is this in agreement or disagreement with observations to date? It is in excellent agreement. Best evidence to date points to the age of the earth to be 4.54 billion years plus or minus 1%. 4.54*6/2=13.62. Best evidence to date puts the age of the Universe between 13.5 to 14.0. Then straightforwardly from the verses of the Quran it should be expected that the age of the Universe.
Have you seen the movie 23 with Jim Carrey? You should, it deals with trying to find patterns in numbers...that don't actually prove anything.

Science can ask even more than merely why are there 6 eons. Another important question would be: how long is each eon? You are assuming they are all the same length - is there reason for such an assumption? An eon is not a defined amount of time which makes your formula flawed from the get-go.

We have more than 6 planets in our solar system alone. If it took god to 2 days to create Earth, how long did it take for him to create the others...not to mention that we inhabit hardly the biggest one. IIRC, the big bang theory assumes the whole universe was created at once.

In fact, the very surah you cite mentions that the earth is created in 8 days. I found this interesting retort Googling: http://www.answering-islam.org/Responses/Shabir-Ally/questions.htm.

It is the One god. There is all the difference in the world. If you cannot figure this one out, then I am absolutely certain that you you are beyond lost.
No, there is no difference. The Phoenix is not a god by the way. But even if it were, even if there were many...the same point holds. You cannot prove their existence either way.

Therefore you cannot begin to equate gravity and it's verifiable existence with that of deities.

It has zero difference to me. It most certainly has a large difference to most, in particular in the west "intellectuals" or religious, little difference between the two, of the west. As shown above for example. You must make a hypothesis, then draw consequences from it, then put it to the test. And there is much, much more. The simplest fact is that if the Quran or any other book is from God, then the laws of reality dictate that it must declare about itself to be from God and infallible. It does. And immediately at the beginning. And no other book that I know of does this. This fact alone is signicant but of course insufficient support for it to be from God. The reason it is significant support is that, to this day, even the absolute majority of scientist do not understand the significance of making tests after the hypothesis is put forward and confuse observations leading to the hypothesis with the tests made after it has been put forth.
So, essentially, the fact that both science and the quran both make a claim in the beginning makes them have zero difference? I do not follow the rationality in even making that parallel. It's not even a very big coincidence, nor should it matter. In science, it does matter and there is a reason why hypothesis are made. Why so for the Quran? Even if it were to be mentioned at the end, the same occurs: it makes claims it does not prove. Thanks for your explanation, now I can disagree with you knowing there isn't something I am missing here.

Last edited:
Oct 18, 2002
Science deals with arguments that can be proven and refuted using evidences. Religion deals with an issue (God) that can neither be proven nor rejected using evidences. I don't think their areas could mix.

Oct 18, 2002
I had to edit something in the above, but would like to ask: in which order or on what day was the earth created in the Quran? Was it created before everything else or after?
To the best of my knowledge, it doesn't say. However there is a difference in Bible and Quran in this regard. Bible implies (or at least that is what Christian fundamentalists believe) that everything in the universe was created at the same time (including earth, heaven, Humans, dinasours etc). Quran is actually against it. That's why some believe evolution theory has no contracdition with Quran.

Oct 20, 2003
Science deals with arguments that can be proven and refuted using evidences. Religion deals with an issue (God) that can neither be proven nor rejected using evidences. I don't think their areas could mix.
deerouz JAn, You sound close to the following statement in an article I read sometime ago. I posted the link to the article earlier to back my claim that 40% of the scientists polled in 1997 claimed to have religious belief.

There is, of course, no way to prove religious faith scientifically. And it's hard to envision a test that could tell the difference between a universe created by God and one that appeared without God.
"There's no way that scientists can ever rule out religion, or even have anything significant to say about the abstract idea of a divine creator," Greene said. Instead, Greene said, science and religion can operate in different realms. "Science is very good at answering the 'how' questions. How did the universe evolve to the form that we see?" he said. "But it is woefully inadequate in addressing the 'why' questions. Why is there a universe at all? These are the meaning questions, which many people think religion is particularly good at dealing with."
The religion and science can co-exists, one does not have to reject one or the other. The article worth reading.
http://news.nationalgeographic.com/news/2004/10/1018_041018_science_religion_2.html

Oct 18, 2002
IP jan, the main reason for continued existence of religion is still a "how". How was this universe come to existence and what was there before. Religion remains relevant as long as science has not presented a definitive answer (as solid as "God") to this question. And considering the context within which science operates, it may never be able to.

Aug 26, 2005
To the best of my knowledge, it doesn't say. However there is a difference in Bible and Quran in this regard. Bible implies (or at least that is what Christian fundamentalists believe) that everything in the universe was created at the same time (including earth, heaven, Humans, dinasours etc). Quran is actually against it. That's why some believe evolution theory has no contracdition with Quran.
I cite a part in that article I posted which states:

Abu Huraira reported that Allah's Messenger (mpbuh) took hold of my hands and said: Allah the Exalted and Glorious, created the clay on Saturday and He created the mountains on Sunday and He created the trees on Monday and He created the things entailing labour on Tuesday and created light on Wednesday and He caused animals to spread on Thursday and created Adam (pbuh) after 'Asr on Friday; the last creation at the last hour of the hours of Friday, ie. Between afternoon and night.
This essentially debunks any argument that suggests the number of "days" coincides with the stages which equate the total length in time of the universe. The world would have had to have been created in the last 2 "days". In the above it claims that light (the sun) was created after mountains which is impossible as the sun is much older than the Earth. Furthermore, the origin of life started not much after the creation of the Earth, so in terms of days ...they would have had to be on the same day that the Earth was created, yet they are created here on thursday - which is many "days" after that.

Oct 18, 2002
This essentially debunks any argument that suggests the number of "days" coincides with the stages which equate the total length in time of the universe. The world would have had to have been created in the last 2 "days". In the above it claims that light (the sun) was created after mountains which is impossible as the sun is much older than the Earth. Furthermore, the origin of life started not much after the creation of the Earth, so in terms of days ...they would have had to be on the same day that the Earth was created, yet they are created here on thursday - which is many "days" after that.
The problem is that, Abu hurairah is by far the least reliable narrator from Muhammad's time. The famous story about him - no doubt you have heard - is that one day he got a commission from an onion seller to declare in public sqaure that "I heard with my own ears from the prophet that whoever eats onion during the day will get to heaven no doubt!" They shared the profit!

That said, it still does not necessarily mean that Quran was in line with science or anything like that.

Oct 20, 2003
IP jan, the main reason for continued existence of religion is still a "how". How was this universe come to existence and what was there before. Religion remains relevant as long as science has not presented a definitive answer (as solid as "God") to this question. And considering the context within which science operates, it may never be able to.
I agree with you, I add "why" to the "how".

Aug 26, 2005
No, I wasn't aware, thanks for that Deerouz jan. I am not as knowledgeable as yourself nor FP in these depths.

That piece also cites this:

The following traditions are taken entirely from The History of al-Tabari, Volume 1- General Introduction and from the Creation to the Flood (trans. Franz Rosenthal, State University of New York Press, Albany 1989), pp. 187-193:

"We have stated before that time is but hours of night and day and that the hours are but traversal by the sun and the moon of the degrees of the sphere.

Now then, this being so, there is (also) a sound tradition from the Messenger of God told us by Hannad b. al-Sari, who also said that he read all of the hadith (to Abu Bakr)- Abu Bakr b. 'Ayyash- Abu Sa'd al-Baqqal- 'Ikrimah- Ibn Abbas: The Jews came to the Prophet and asked him about the creation of the heavens and the earth. He said: God created the earth on Sunday and Monday. He created the mountains and the uses they possess on Tuesday. On Wednesday, He created trees, water, cities and the cultivated barren land. These are four (days). He continued (citing the Qur'an): 'Say: Do you really not believe in the One Who created the earth in two days, and set up others like Him? That is the Lord of the worlds. He made it firmly anchored (mountains) above it and blessed it and decreed that it contain the amount of food it provides, (all) in four days, equally for those asking'- for those who ask. On Thursday, He created heaven. On Friday, He created the stars, the sun, the moon, and the angels, until three hours remained. In the first of these three hours He created the terms (of human life), who would live and who would die. In the second, He cast harm upon everything that is useful for mankind. And in the third, (He created) Adam and had him dwell in Paradise. He commanded Iblis to prostrate himself before Adam, and He drove Adam out of Paradise at the end of the hour. When the Jews asked: What then, Muhammad? He said: 'Then He sat straight upon the Throne.' The Jews said: You are right, if you had finished, they said, with: Then He rested. Whereupon the Prophet got very angry, and it was revealed: 'We have created the heavens and the earth and what is between them in six days, and fatigue did not touch Us. Thus be patient with what you say.'"
is this a reliable source? Not that a man gave it; as all men are flawed. But is the book reliable?