Best plyers to have never won the world cup

Farsheed

Bench Warmer
Jun 6, 2003
I want to make a distinction here

There are superstars like George Best, who never got a chance to play in the world cup.

Then there are superstars like Cryuff, Platini and Usebio, who played in the world cup, shined in it, but failed to win.

then there are superstars like Messi and Waryne Rooni who played in the world cup and did not meet expectations.

I think it's fair to ding the the third group, and use their failure to shine in the world cup to bring down their over rating a notch.

kasra1930

National Team Player
Dec 30, 2011
220px-Rivera_Gianni_02.jpg C494FDE0C721ED99E4C5A6875E741F.jpg riva.jpg

history will never repeat itself again,due to the best strikers of all time in italy 1970,gianni rivera,roberto boninsenia,luigi riva.....italy national team,will never see such a great talent and great strikers in its history anymore,their great efforts to beat west germany 4-3 in semifinal of world cup 1970,still in memories,they shattered beakenbauer,gerd muller,and germany team in mexico...they were one of the least lucky players in the world who had to fight with pele,jerzinho,tostao,in the final of world cup 1970 in mexico.....

Farsheed

Bench Warmer
Jun 6, 2003
View attachment 28459 View attachment 28460 View attachment 28461

history will never repeat itself again,due to the best strikers of all time in italy 1970,gianni rivera,roberto boninsenia,luigi riva.....italy national team,will never see such a great talent and great strikers in its history anymore,their great efforts to beat west germany 4-3 in semifinal of world cup 1970,still in memories,they shattered beakenbauer,gerd muller,and germany team in mexico...they were one of the least lucky players in the world who had to fight with pele,jerzinho,tostao,in the final of world cup 1970 in mexico.....
I wish they had lost to Germnay. Germany vs Brazil would have been an epic final. I wonder if Beckenbauer had not been injured the outcome may have been different.

ME

Elite Member
Nov 2, 2002
, I am sure you realize some of players you named were born 2 generations before WC started!

The players I have seen playing:
-Cuyuff: the most deserved
- Von Bastan, he was never my fav player but hands down was a jewel. Most of his career was shadowed by Maradona and injuries. Rijkard, Gulit...were good but St Marco was a different material.
-Platini: he was flawless at the time football was played full of flaws.
- Lineker: my all time fav player, he was the testimony to that the simplest can be the most sophisticated.
-Shumakher: man! tat guy believed only wind was allowed to shake his net.
-Maldini. he deserved a WC.
Enzo Feranchescoli: Multiply Forlan by 3, he was such a able player.
-Brian Robson: he was slick, just had too many injuries that denied him and England any trophies.
-Ian Rasch, he was also a scoring machine, lost in Tourino for good.
-Brazil 82 players collectively were the most deserved team ever that were denied a title, even beyond the Netherlands ...etc/

ME

Elite Member
Nov 2, 2002
kasra , I am sure you realize some of players you named were born 2 generations before WC started!

- Von Bastan, he was never my fav player but hands down was a jewel. Most of his career was shadowed by Maradona and injuries. Rijkard, Gulit...were good but St Marco was a different material.
- Lineker: my all time fav player, he was the testimony to that the simplest can be the most sophisticated.
-Shumakher: man! that guy believed only wind was allowed to shake his net. Even his mistakes were fun to watch.
-Brian Robson: he was slick, just had too many injuries that denied him and England any trophies.
-Brazil 82 players collectively were the most deserved team ever that were denied a title, even beyond the Netherlands ...etc/

kasra1930

National Team Player
Dec 30, 2011
I wish they had lost to Germnay. Germany vs Brazil would have been an epic final. I wonder if Beckenbauer had not been injured the outcome may have been different.
yes I agree,but problem is the history,history showed,italy has been always a better team against germany,they have played on 29 times,Italy won 14 times,while germany won just 7 times with 8 draws ,..
2)they have the best records against germany,If I am not wrong they never lost to germany in world cup games,which is a great record for a team!!! 2 scoreless tie in world cup 1962 and 1978(while germany was the world champion,),and 3 victory over them that would best for country.....

kasra1930

National Team Player
Dec 30, 2011
kasra , I am sure you realize some of players you named were born 2 generations before WC started!

-Shumakher: man! that guy believed only wind was allowed to shake his net. Even his mistakes were fun to watch.
-Brazil 82 players collectively where the most deserved team ever that were denied a title, even beyond the Netherlands ...etc/
wow,good job ME.....yes I agree,especially IAN Rash a great liverpool stirker from wales who unfortunately never reach to world cup games..but I belive if he would reach there he would be one of the greatest of all time....
2)with your permision I add hungaria 1954 and holland 74 to brazil 82,were the most deserved team ever that were denied a title...especially hungaria 54,with puskas,kochis and hidekoti,while they beat west germany 8-3 in preliminary round,in their group,they lost 3-2 to the same team west germany in final...this game is always remembered as MIRACLE OF BERNE......

Last edited:

Farsheed

Bench Warmer
Jun 6, 2003
wow,good job ME.....yes I agree,especially IAN Rash a great liverpool stirker from wales who unfortunately never reach to world cup games..but I belive if he would reach there he would be one of the greatest of all time....
2)with your permision I add hungaria 1954 and holland 74 to brazil 82,were the most deserved team ever that were denied a title...especially hungaria 54,with puskas,kochis and hidekoti,while they beat west germany 8-3 in preliminary round,in their group,they lost 3-2 to the same team west germany in final...this game is always remembered as MIRACLE OF BERNE......
I feel the France 82 team also deserves a mention. How shumacher was not red carded when he knocked Battisron into a coma is a mystery to me. If he had been red carded in that semi final, France would have gone into the final, and Platini would have gotten his well deserved WC. Here is the video of he infamous assault
[video=youtube;g4veX0VZlx4]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g4veX0VZlx4&feature=related"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g4veX0VZlx4&feature=related[/video]

Once again, I must say that I believe it shouldn't matter if you won the world cup or not, the better question is once you got there, did you play as well or better than expected. The answer for Cryuff, Platini, Usebio, and Maldini is yes. The answer for Messi and Rooney so far is no

kasra1930

National Team Player
Dec 30, 2011
I feel the France 82 team also deserves a mention. How shumacher was not red carded when he knocked Battisron into a coma is a mystery to me. If he had been red carded in that semi final, France would have gone into the final, and Platini would have gotten his well deserved WC.

Once again, I must say that I believe it shouldn't matter if you won the world cup or not, the better question is once you got there, did you play as well or better than expected. The answer for Cryuff, Platini, Usebio, and Maldini is yes. The answer for Messi and Rooney so far is no
yes farshid aziz,good point,france was a great team which deserved to reach to final or even win the world cup
2)about messi,I agree with you too,if you see my comments about him I mentioned it,we have to see his impact on his team ,he still has not done anything for argentina,in my opinion,hala hala ha bayad bedavad.....

Farsheed

Bench Warmer
Jun 6, 2003
yes farshid aziz,good point,france was a great team which deserved to reach to final or even win the world cup
2)about messi,I agree with you too,if you see my comments about him I mentioned it,we have to see his impact on his team ,he still has not done anything for argentina,in my opinion,hala hala ha bayad bedavad.....
Yes, we agree about Messi. People are coming up with a list of great players that did not win the WC to show tha Messi is the same. It's not the same. Cryuff and Platini did not win a world cup, but they were among the stars of the world cup. messi was unnoticeable in the WC

CHOBEHSAFT

Bench Warmer
Aug 13, 2004
MIRZAPOUR AND MESSI HAVE ONE THING IN COMMON...THEY both pppplay inn wc and theyboth have 0 goals...bakhtiyarzadeh,kia,esteli are ranked a head of messii in goals scored in the wc

byebyenow

Elite Member
Jun 3, 2006
Football players shouldnt be only rated for their performance in WC, Siviori, Zarra, Altafini and manymore were playing week and week out on the highest level.
For example Zarra best Spanish forward for Atletico Bilbao has scored only one goal in WC while he has scored more than 250 goals in five years for Bilbao. He was part of that Spanish side which made the fourth place in 1950. Sivori the guy who has the record of scoring 14 goals in one season in europe and the guy who scored the only goal in Santiago Bernabue in early 60s for Juve to make them the first Italian team to beat Madrid in Madrid and the guy who is the legend hasnt scored a goal in WC but he has scored 8 goals out of nine appearance for Azzuri for that WC qualification.
Some of the greatest had only few games to play in WC we cant judge their whole career on how many goals they had scored in WC.
In that case Estili is better than Daei, Bagheri and Azizi.

byebyenow

Elite Member
Jun 3, 2006
View attachment 28459 View attachment 28460 View attachment 28461

That was one of the greatest Italian sides, they were the European Champ. But Valcareggi the coach didnt want to play Rivera first. He was playing his milan teamate Mazzola, but due to poor performances he started bringing Rivera in the second half of the matches. And thats how they beat Germany when Rivera scored the fourth goal. In final Valcareggi waited untill there was few minutes left to bring Rivera, many Italian believe Italy would have never lost like that if Rivera and Riva played from the start. Many thinks these two could have been the best Italian pair of all time if they were in the same club. Riva the deadly finisher and Rivera the greatest passer.
I personally like to rate Riva higher than Rivera, Meazza, and even Piola because of the fact that what he has achieved with Cagliari and refused the move to Juventus like Totti and Di Natale. His goal ratio is also the highest and top goal scorer of Azzuri. Thats just my opinion.

Farsheed

Bench Warmer
Jun 6, 2003
Football players shouldnt be only rated for their performance in WC, Siviori, Zarra, Altafini and manymore were playing week and week out on the highest level.
For example Zarra best Spanish forward for Atletico Bilbao has scored only one goal in WC while he has scored more than 250 goals in five years for Bilbao. He was part of that Spanish side which made the fourth place in 1950. Sivori the guy who has the record of scoring 14 goals in one season in europe and the guy who scored the only goal in Santiago Bernabue in early 60s for Juve to make them the first Italian team to beat Madrid in Madrid and the guy who is the legend hasnt scored a goal in WC but he has scored 8 goals out of nine appearance for Azzuri for that WC qualification.
Some of the greatest had only few games to play in WC we cant judge their whole career on how many goals they had scored in WC.
In that case Estili is better than Daei, Bagheri and Azizi.
Footballers should not ONLY be measured on how they play in the WC, nor how many goals they score in the WC. But overall performance in the world cup should be part of how they are measured. Beckenbauher did not win a scoring championship in 70 or 74, nor did Cryuff in 74 and 78, but they dominated the WC. If Messi had scored zero goals, but had performed well, his number of goals would not have mattered. I don't even remember Messi in the 4-0 loss to Germnay, it was as if he was not on the field. He did not perform well.

Messi is still a great player. But if he ever wants to be mentioned in the same league as Pele, maradona, Zidane, Cryuff, Beckenbauer as the greatest, he has to have a great wc. That does not mean he has to win it, nor score several goals, he just has to play at the level that is expected of him

kasra1930

National Team Player
Dec 30, 2011
Footballers should not ONLY be measured on how they play in the WC, nor how many goals they score in the WC. But overall performance in the world cup should be part of how they are measured. Beckenbauher did not win a scoring championship in 70 or 74, nor did Cryuff in 74 and 78, but they dominated the WC. If Messi had scored zero goals, but had performed well, his number of goals would not have mattered. I don't even remember Messi in the 4-0 loss to Germnay, it was as if he was not on the field. He did not perform well.

Messi is still a great player. But if he ever wants to be mentioned in the same league as Pele, maradona, Zidane, Cryuff, Beckenbauer as the greatest, he has to have a great wc. That does not mean he has to win it, nor score several goals, he just has to play at the level that is expected of him
I agree,Messi is a great player,but his rendiment in national team 000000000!!!!!!! no effect at all,have you noticed even he participitated in the game? he could be considered as one of the greatest at this time,but not as greatest as cruyeff,platini,pele...he has a long way to go...definitely he has not shown any leadership in his national team,see how beckenbauer played when west germany was 2-0 behind against england in 1970,they did a great comeback and won the match 3-2 in quarterfinal and eliminated england world champion!!!!! did messi do the same job in argentina?never,never,never,.....he is not functioning as a leader in his team...

Farsheed

Bench Warmer
Jun 6, 2003
That was one of the greatest Italian sides, they were the European Champ. But Valcareggi the coach didnt want to play Rivera first. He was playing his milan teamate Mazzola, but due to poor performances he started bringing Rivera in the second half of the matches. And thats how they beat Germany when Rivera scored the fourth goal. .
Italy beat Germany because Beckenbauer broke his rib, not because Ribera was subbed in. I must say, to this day that match, and the England Germany match right before that are two of the most exciting matches I have watched in my life time

Mahdi

Elite Member
Jan 1, 1970
Mjunik
I agree,Messi is a great player,but his rendiment in national team 000000000!!!!!!! no effect at all,have you noticed even he participitated in the game? he could be considered as one of the greatest at this time,but not as greatest as cruyeff,platini,pele...he has a long way to go...definitely he has not shown any leadership in his national team,see how beckenbauer played when west germany was 2-0 behind against england in 1970,they did a great comeback and won the match 3-2 in quarterfinal and eliminated england world champion!!!!! did messi do the same job in argentina?never,never,never,.....he is not functioning as a leader in his team...
If you Had actually watched Argentina in 2010 or in 2011 at copa america, you might have noticed that all their goals except for 2 were either assisted by Messi or came off rebounds from shots of his that hit the post. So much for that