BREAKING: Margaret Thatcher dead at age 87

Nov 29, 2002
Its weird I had a dream last night that the Queen died. Never usually dream about this kind of thing., how odd...

Anyway, RIP Maggie - you did some good stuff and some not so great stuff but nobody's perfect

Behrooz_C

Elite Member
Dec 10, 2005
A small island west of Africa
I am an old admirer of hers. She was a great leader and did lots of good. It will take years before people actually appreciate what she was all about. In a male dominated parliament and government, she managed to keep them all in check and obedient which is an extremely difficult thing to do in politics.

RIP

AFRIRAN

IPL Player
Jun 8, 2010
haminjoori geej mikhordim ke kojaa bechesboonim ino , didim injaa shaayad behtare :

توییتر عزراییل : با عرض پوزش جنتی را نشانه گرفته بودم خانم مارگارت تاچر از دست رفت !

به دنبال درگذشت مارگارت تاچر عزراییل با انتشار یک توییتر دراین باره توضیحاتی داده است. وی می گوید : امروز صبح که برای انجام امور روزانه و گرفتن جان آدمیان وارد اداره شدم منشی باری تعالی پرونده خانم تاچر را اشتباهی به جای آیت الله جنتی روی میز گذاشت و من هم چون دیرم شده بود بدون اینکه پرونده را بازکنم ببینم مال چه کسی است یک راست سراغ نامبرده رفتم و جانش را گرفتم. منشی باریتعالی پرونده جنتی را دوباره به قفسه بازگرداند. به موبایل باریتعالی زنگ زدم گفتم یا حضرت حق!اشتباهی به جای آقای جنتی خانم تاچر ازدست رفت. گفت عزراییل من توی ترافیک کهکشانها گیر کرده ام خودت یک جوری راست و ریستش کن تا من برسم حالا برای گرفتن جان آیت الله جنتی دیرنشده وقت زیاد است-انتهای پیام

Aug 27, 2005
Band e 209
I am an old admirer of hers. She was a great leader and did lots of good. It will take years before people actually appreciate what she was all about. In a male dominated parliament and government, she managed to keep them all in check and obedient which is an extremely difficult thing to do in politics.

RIP
Behrooz jAn,
That was what I call decisive action and strong leadership specially when a lady was directing the forces. Close to end of Apl. 1982 Argentinian naval task force took over South Georgia Island and proceeded toward Port Stanly and within 2 weeks guns of Royal navy warships were singing and Harriers roaring in the sky of south Atlantic 1000s of miles away from home ports. Actually bombs started falling before British delegation could reach and talk to UNSC. Impressive.

R.I.P

masoudA

Legionnaire
Oct 16, 2008
She had very interesting one liners...
Here is a good one: Consensus only appears where there is no leadership!!!

oghabealborz

Elite Member
Feb 18, 2005
Strawberry field
She did her best for her country ,she was a formidable opponent and a great ally to have ,she was called the iron lady for a reason , not all her policies were loved by the nation but her guts and determination was second to none ,rest in peace .

she went to Iran in about 1974 or 75 and had a audience with the shah ,she was then the head or deputy head of the conservative party . only yesterday I saw a picture of her boarding an IranAir flight in her visit to Iran.

I wrote this a little earlier today on my blog's Facebook page (which you can "like" by the way "The JSPrice Perception"):

So there you have it, the inevitable has happened - Margaret Thatcher, Baroness Thatcher, The Iron Lady has passed away, aged 87. The tabloid press have hyped Britain's former Prime Minister's death for years and now it's occurred, what now?

I will be one of the many people who will say that "I'm not a fan of Margaret Thatcher" as, being a Welshman, she caused a lot of damage to Wales's image - coal miner's strike being one example. However, she divided a nation. My only compliment towards her is that she woke "the working class" up and got them heavily involved in politics. The young also got increasingly involved in politics in Britain.

The shape of the British politics today (with or without the Conservatives being in power) is shaped because of Thatcher's influence. While countries in the Middle East were getting heavily politically involved in the 1970s, we were still stuck in the flower power. Thatcher gave us an unwelcome look into reality and has inspired the likes of David Cameron to be Prime Minister.

Margaret Thatcher is very much like Marmite - some of us loved her, some of us hated her.

**I would recommend people would watch "The Iron Lady" with Meryl Streep**

------

I have to say though, she didn't do anything wrong with Iran, no sanctions or any threats but there's something about the Conservative Party which just gets people to riot. Regardless, Thatcher was the first Tory to show the true colours of her political party - whether you despised those colours, or liked them.

Flint

Legionnaire
Jan 28, 2006
United States
Behrooz jAn,
That was what I call decisive action and strong leadership specially when a lady was directing the forces. Close to end of Apl. 1982 Argentinian naval task force took over South Georgia Island and proceeded toward Port Stanly and within 2 weeks guns of Royal navy warships were singing and Harriers roaring in the sky of south Atlantic 1000s of miles away from home ports. Actually bombs started falling before British delegation could reach and talk to UNSC. Impressive.

R.I.P
Motori, you need to narrate war stories on the Military Channel. Stirring account indeed. Only somebody who lived the 1970s in England can perhaps appreciate what she did. I like many others have only a second hand knowledge of what the country was like. Her influence went far beyond England though. She was a towering figure of the 20th century. Her passing along with Reagan marks the end of an era. They together changed the world.

Last edited:

AFRIRAN

IPL Player
Jun 8, 2010
Hassan Aghaa, maa as new generation doesn't know anything about Lady Thatcher whatever is on the web is man made history let people talk and instead of showing finger beneath the posts please write what do you think as IR supporter hezbollahi ?

besmellah...

what I found on the web says Thatcher was supporting IR and one of the first who recognized Bazargan vatan-forsh ro , she was good to distract her own people from internal matters/problems with engaging them in external matters like Falkland war , and of course she was an smart highly educated woman ... what else guys ?

Oct 18, 2002
704 Houser
Not her biggest fan, but she was quite the trailblazer for women and she did in her capacity as PM demonstrate that women are just capable as men at implementing terrible policies.

Behrooz_C

Elite Member
Dec 10, 2005
A small island west of Africa
It is no wonder that people who oppose her are among the economically illiterate. The country was in a complete mess before she took office, there was one telecom provider which failed half the time, one national electricity provider with regular black outs and there was water shortage among many other failing national industries. On top of this, the tax rate was sky high in order to pay for all this. What she did was to privatise the industries and close down the ones that were maintained by the tax payer. Sure this was painful to many but from an economic point of view it made perfect sense.

Yes the gap between the rich and the poor became wider due to her policies but who cares about the gap? As long as the poor are richer, why does it matter if the rich are much richer? What matters is that all levels of income have risen and the poor have much better standard of living than in the 70s. That's what matters.

Anyway, let's judge her legacy in 30 years from now and let's history decide that because some emotions are too high for any sensible judgment to be made.

Chinaski

Elite Member
Jun 14, 2005
Hassan Aghaa, maa as new generation doesn't know anything about Lady Thatcher whatever is on the web is man made history let people talk and instead of showing finger beneath the posts please write what do you think as IR supporter hezbollahi ?

besmellah...

what I found on the web says Thatcher was supporting IR and one of the first who recognized Bazargan vatan-forsh ro , she was good to distract her own people from internal matters/problems with engaging them in external matters like Falkland war , and of course she was an smart highly educated woman ... what else guys ?
Afri jan that was just part of the mess she was responsible for. This person was a total mess. Never had the slightest clue about economy and dragged an already messy british economy even further down the toilett and raised the unemployment up to 3 mio. Her rethorics were cheap and often without any substance. I have been to englan back in 88 and england seemed down and depressive. Buildings were falling apart no money to invest. It really partly looked like some east european countries. That was england after some 16 years under thatcher. Completely down

Jun 9, 2004
Canada
I have been to englan back in 88 and england seemed down and depressive. was england after some 16 years under thatcher. Completely down
One, Thatcher was prime minister for only 11 years. Two, the start of her term coincided with the 1980 recession that was the worst one to hit England since the Great Depression. It lasted longer and was almost equivalent in terms of drop in the GDP, to the financial crisis of 2008. England was also suffering from the same competitiveness problem Southern Europe is facing now. Since the early 80;s recession was not a localized one, none of those things can be blamed on her leadership.

Chinaski

Elite Member
Jun 14, 2005
Yeah i think she was 15 or 16 years the head of the conservatives. You googled it up good for you. But what else do you knosw or did you know about england and thatcher a couple of days ago :)
Why didnt you google up the results of her terrible policies instead of playing the appologist? Recession? What ressecion amoo joon? The germans were living in total wealth aswell as other north and middle european countries. She was a clear cut moron of the stubborn kind focusing on inflations without showing the slightest kind of flexibility and adjustment. She dragged an already fucked country further down the toilett.

Jun 9, 2004
Canada
Yeah i think she was 15 or 16 years the head of the conservatives. You googled it up good for you. But what else do you knosw or did you know about england and thatcher a couple of days ago :)
Why didnt you google up the results of her terrible policies instead of playing the appologist? Recession? What ressecion amoo joon? The germans were living in total wealth aswell as other north and middle european countries. She was a clear cut moron of the stubborn kind focusing on inflations without showing the slightest kind of flexibility and adjustment. She dragged an already fucked country further down the toilett.
Nothing man, I knew nothing. If it wasn't for your accurate and educational posts, I'd still know nothing! I didn't even know how to read until you came along! :)

Oct 18, 2010
the "iron lady" was a vile woman.in her international actions she was rightly known as the "butcher of belgrano".she actively supported apartheid in s. africa and refused to back sanctions on the white racist regime and called nelson mandela the head of "a typical terrorist organisation".but her biggest negative impact was on domestic uk affairs and it's disastrous effects are lingering even to this day.and at the end she became such an autocratic leader that her own party had to kick her out of office.this song by "simply red" is an excellent source that sums up the period of the rule of her regime and it's inhumane policies in the uk:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NbuYtk_X3gs