Four best teams meet in the quarters

Feb 4, 2005
Anyone knows why Holland players think it's their bed time after playing 70 minutes or so. Honest to God at least Japan and Slovakia should have punished them. Is it something to do with what they eat or they are not fit or ...? Brazilians will not be like other teams they faced so far and will whip their lazy asses unless they are going to do something about that.

Mahdi

Elite Member
Jan 1, 1970
Mjunik
damn what's with all the hate on Holland? Someone said once, 'if there's a World Cup of 18 teams, 17 will come to win it, 1 will come to show the world how nice they can play. That's Holland.' And Dutch people are sick and tired of playing a couple great matches at the beginning, and then getting knocked out in some crappy match soon afterwards. Van Basten's Holland played brilliantly against Italy and France in 2008, but who the fuck cares if he gets completely outcoached and Holland gets outclassed by Russia the next round? I know people will probably (whether it's conscious or not) be stricter for Holland since they expect beautiful football from them, but forget it. Holland's there to win this time. Beautiful football or ugly football? No one cares, not here at least (except maybe for some Ajax-fans who think nice football is more important than winning). This Dutch team is more stable than previous Dutch teams, especially thanks to the DM duo Van Bommel-De Jong. They've played a great tournament so far.
Now don't get me wrong, Holland is not at Brazil, Argentina and Germany's level this tournament. But comon guys, Ghana?? Uruguay, who played crappy against France, a good game against South Africa, didn't see the Mexico game, and OK against S.Korea? Holland played against two very defensive and compact teams (Denmark and Japan), and a match that didn't matter against Cameroon. Against Slovakia today Holland actually had some periods of good football, nice combinations and lots of chances. The 2-0 could've been made much earlier. Not top level for this tournament, but good. And yes, there were also lots of periods of boredom, I agree. But they did enough to win the match. Sometimes I think people are using total football of the 70's as a reference or some shit, or that in Holland's case a win is only good when the football is nice as well..
I don't expect them to beat Brazil, especially because of the weakness in defence. Even Slovakia managed to create some big chances because of weak defending. Like I said, Argentina, Brazil and Germany have simply been better than Holland. But can u really hate on Holland when, in a tournament in which France, England and Italy all choked and Spain hasn't reached their level either, they've won all their matches deservedly, albeit not with fantastic football?
yeah but they are not going to win it now either. I mean, they could have managed quarterfinals with that draw by playing attacking and 4-3-3 too. Now they will most probably get out against Brazil and it won't matter. You saw Vittek and Slovakia causing them problems in the back, nevermind Fabiano, Kaka and Robinho.

Jun 7, 2004
Still think the other four teams are worth a nickel? I don't think so. Spain the best of the rest is such an inferior team in comparison to the top four. They hardly could manage against a pathetic Portugal team.

Oct 18, 2002
Sydney, Australia
I just read an interesting article by a Dutch journalist (a good one); in it he clarified the difference between NICE football and GOOD football. In Euro 2008, in the matches against France and Italy, Holland played nice and attractive, but not GOOD. In those matches Holland had great attacks, but so did the opponents and they actually had just as many chances, however Holland happened to win. That's not good football. He gave a good definition of good football: the ability to rule out coincidence as much as possible. Holland didn't do that in those matches; both scores may well have finished the other way round. It was nice football, but depending on coincidence like that was bound to go wrong at some point and that happened against Russia. And nice football isn't how u win tournaments, good football is. Holland showed that then. This Holland doesn't play nice and attractive, but does have the ability to control all their matches. They usually regain the ball quickly and keep possession. The creativity has been low and they have difficulty finding the holes in the opponents' defence, which means it gets boring. But it's still good football since they don't give away many chances, and always score at least once. Now, like I said, with this defence the chances will be given away against a team like Brazil, but I'd still rather have this Holland than Van Basten's Holland. Anyday.

Mate, at the end of the day, at the end of all articles by Dutch analysts about good football and nice football etc etc etc, This Dutch team WILL NOT win this tournament! To me if thery're going to go out they may aswell go out playing attractive football then playing shit football (what your analyst calls "good" football)! They're not going to win either way, atleast go out playing in style!

Foo

Elite Member
Feb 12, 2006
Den Haag, Holland
Well that's the thing Sporthead (and Mahdi), they came into this tournament for the win. They see themselves as one of the teams who have a good chance of winning it, and that's why a more stable team was created with the aim of controlling matches. Regaining the ball as soon as possible and keeping possession. Now what they've shown so far hasn't been what they've wanted either; everyone expected more creativity from the attacking midfielders, but none of them (bar Robben) have reached their level. The style was going to be less attacking than 2008, when real nice football was played but also including lots of chances given away. It was to regain possession quickly using the DM's, keep possession and let the 3 AM's create the chances. That last bit hasn't really worked, like I said. But that's what they're trying to do and so far they've won all their matches, it just hasn't been as creative with as many goals as they've wanted. That's why I think u guys are being too hard on them.

ghilich

Bench Warmer
Oct 12, 2004
usa
Mashdi, the Argentine lineup has wide goals and looks like they can get very messi:)

I switch my allegance to them on the spot.

Seriously, this is shaping up to be a really exciting couple of weeks. The top four IMO
are:

1-Brazil (great goalie and defense, plus ALL that attacking talent, UP the Wazoo)

2- Spain -- Villa is on absolute frieking FIRE , Xavi is well Xavi and Iniesta is almost looking like Iniesta.. and the rest ain't too shabby, their defense could be exposed though...we will see.

3- Germany -- this Ozil guy right now is one of the absolute best in the world, their centerbacks are SOLID, They got Lahm, their goalie is surprisingly good. And oh yes, KLOSE, KLOSE, KLOSE... Podolski is still there and Mueller too. They look better without Ballack! and there is no doubt of that..

4- Argentina-- I pick them over Uruguay. They do have Messi. Hard to pick against that, he is actually in absolute top form, but is getting double teamed so much that has turned out to be the guy who opens up the space for all the other guys to score. He is DUE in a BIG way.

Uruguay is an excellent all around team, but in a big match, can't pick them over any of the other 4. They might win against them sometimes but if they play each of the above 3 matches right now, they will be on the losing side I think. If they get it, more power to them.

Dutch are vulnerable in defense. I do not see them getting past Brazil. I actually saw Dunga, that midget centerforward of their's, Bebeto et al play in the 94 WC and that Brazil team would have lost to the current version. Dopey knows what he is doing. They have players up the WAZOO and they can really SCORE against Argentina lineup:)

Jun 7, 2004
Spain is a crap team based on their performance in this tournament so far. The one positive they have for them is that because of the recent past, same as with everyone who thinks they are a good team, they believe and think that they belong.

The single greatest factor why the same teams tend to win the world cup is this same reason: the sense of entitlement and belonging. If you don't have it, you will severely undercut your chances in world cup or in whatever else you are doing.

Kian Pars

Elite Member
Dec 9, 2005
Instead of semifinal.
Germany-Argentina, Brazil-Holland. The other side of the quarters are so much weaker in comparison.
Yeah, these 4 are my favorite teams in this WC and unfortunately only one is gonna be in the final. I have predicted BRA-ARGO in the final, but it didn't work out that way. I also think from the other 4 team only Spain deserves to be in the final, so if I could I would change my prediction to BRA-SPA in the final.

Foo

Elite Member
Feb 12, 2006
Den Haag, Holland
Yeah, these 4 are my favorite teams in this WC and unfortunately only one is gonna be in the final. I have predicted BRA-ARGO in the final, but it didn't work out that way. I also think from the other 4 team only Spain deserves to be in the final, so if I could I would change my prediction to BRA-SPA in the final.
actually 2 can be in the final. The semis are:
Uruguay/Ghana-Brazil/Holland
Argentina/Germany-Paraguay/Spain

Khorus

National Team Player
Oct 25, 2002
CA
I agree with Foo. You guys, especially Sporthead are way too harsh on the Dutch. Yes, this is not the team with Cruyff and neskens, and all that glory, but they are a very solid team, with some very good midfielders and attackers, and I would definitely put them in the top 4 teams in this tournament. Uruguay has been crap and are winning games they shouldn't by shear determination in defense and opportunistic forwards. They should have lost to the better team in the last games which was SKorea. Their run will end soon. Fortunately for them, they are in the weakest part of the bracket, and they may get by Ghana, but htey won't get past either Brazil or Holland. So far Germany has shown the best football in this tournament, and I expect them to elimiante Argentina again. Aside from the usual brilliance by Messi, and some good finishing by Tevez, I have seen nothing special from Argentina. I don't think they have enough to get by Germany. Spain has shown the next best football, and it will be a very good matchup in the semi.

Intoxicated

Bench Warmer
Dec 18, 2002
Toronto, Canada
I agree with Foo. You guys, especially Sporthead are way too harsh on the Dutch. Yes, this is not the team with Cruyff and neskens, and all that glory, but they are a very solid team, with some very good midfielders and attackers, and I would definitely put them in the top 4 teams in this tournament. Uruguay has been crap and are winning games they shouldn't by shear determination in defense and opportunistic forwards. They should have lost to the better team in the last games which was SKorea. Their run will end soon. Fortunately for them, they are in the weakest part of the bracket, and they may get by Ghana, but htey won't get past either Brazil or Holland. So far Germany has shown the best football in this tournament, and I expect them to elimiante Argentina again. Aside from the usual brilliance by Messi, and some good finishing by Tevez, I have seen nothing special from Argentina. I don't think they have enough to get by Germany. Spain has shown the next best football, and it will be a very good matchup in the semi.
Agreed. however i would rank the teams to win the world cup as follow

1) Brazil- well they are solid in all departments and haven’t showed any major weakness. Can’t really touch them
2) Germany – Solid, motivated young team. Only just not as good as brazil
3) Spain – a week ago I would not rank them high up but they are finding themselves and showing what they are capable of doing when all players are in line. Too bad torres is a out of it but I think with the rest of the team they can reach the finals no problem. If they improve a bit more they can beat the winner of argentina/germany game.
4) Argentina. Well I’ve been a loyal argentina fan for the past 20 years (since the days of maradona-caniggia-redondo) and as much as I like to think they are the champs I have to admit to reality. Clearly the 5 guys in the back are horrible. Especially with Walter injured argentina is in a deeper shit. However the guys in middle and upfront have easily covered up for this weakness and managed to come out of each match victorious. Argentina is sure they’ll have a hard time defending against germany. As it stands, germany is the fav to win the game.
5) Dutch- not the usual exciting game I’m used to seeing but hey they are getting the result and this time they are working under the radar. You never know.
6) Uruguay- not really a world cup champion material but better than ghana
7) Ghana- doesn’t have much to show for.
8) Paraguay- same as above.

Mahdi

Elite Member
Jan 1, 1970
Mjunik

Chinaski

Elite Member
Jun 14, 2005
Well as much as i dislike the Argentine and like the Germans, i fear that young team is still not there. I somehow feel like they will put up another great performance just to end up losing the game. I feel like the Germans are very well able to put pressure on the Argentine but i have my doubts if the german defenders could mute Messi, Tevez and Higuain for 90 minutes because if you do it for 80 minutes, there are still 10 minutes left inwhich they could do some serious damage.

However Go Germany :)

R.BAGGIO

National Team Player
Oct 19, 2002
Toronto
I have a feeling the Germany-Argentina game is going to be epic, neither team has that good of a defense, but Argentina possesses the more potent attack, the Germans however are more organized and can hit you on the counter, Argentina lack speed in the centre of defense.

I see more than a couple of goals in this game somehow, I don't see Mertesacker and Friedrich shutting down Messi, Tevez and Higuain and I don't see Argentina as being a great transition defense team as they don't really have fast defenders or central midfielders.

I think this will be one of the more exciting games of the world cup

Khorus

National Team Player
Oct 25, 2002
CA
Well as much as i dislike the Argentine and like the Germans, i fear that young team is still not there. I somehow feel like they will put up another great performance just to end up losing the game. I feel like the Germans are very well able to put pressure on the Argentine but i have my doubts if the german defenders could mute Messi, Tevez and Higuain for 90 minutes because if you do it for 80 minutes, there are still 10 minutes left inwhich they could do some serious damage.

However Go Germany :)
I don't think it will depend as much on how well Germany will contain Messi, he will have his moments. Tevez and Higuain won't be as much trouble as Messi. I think the final result will depend more on how Argentina will contain the German attacking machine. Argentina will create chances, the question is will they create as many as Germany and will they finish them. As young as they may be, I think right now, Germany is the better team of the two, even though Argnetina may have more stars. We will find out in a couple of days.

Khorus

National Team Player
Oct 25, 2002
CA
Agreed. however i would rank the teams to win the world cup as follow

1) Brazil- well they are solid in all departments and haven’t showed any major weakness. Can’t really touch them
2) Germany – Solid, motivated young team. Only just not as good as brazil
3) Spain – a week ago I would not rank them high up but they are finding themselves and showing what they are capable of doing when all players are in line. Too bad torres is a out of it but I think with the rest of the team they can reach the finals no problem. If they improve a bit more they can beat the winner of argentina/germany game.
4) Argentina. Well I’ve been a loyal argentina fan for the past 20 years (since the days of maradona-caniggia-redondo) and as much as I like to think they are the champs I have to admit to reality. Clearly the 5 guys in the back are horrible. Especially with Walter injured argentina is in a deeper shit. However the guys in middle and upfront have easily covered up for this weakness and managed to come out of each match victorious. Argentina is sure they’ll have a hard time defending against germany. As it stands, germany is the fav to win the game.
5) Dutch- not the usual exciting game I’m used to seeing but hey they are getting the result and this time they are working under the radar. You never know.
6) Uruguay- not really a world cup champion material but better than ghana
7) Ghana- doesn’t have much to show for.
8) Paraguay- same as above.
I would probably put Paraguay above Uruguay and Ghana, and switch Argentina and Holland. The top 3 are pretty interchangeable depending on how well they play on any given day.

Foo

Elite Member
Feb 12, 2006
Den Haag, Holland
I would probably put Paraguay above Uruguay and Ghana, and switch Argentina and Holland. The top 3 are pretty interchangeable depending on how well they play on any given day.
well Argentina's impressed me more than Holland so I'd keep that the way he put it, but I agree on the Paraguay part. Like u said, Uruguay is an opportunistic team with a fantastic player in Forlán. Paraguay has no player who has done as well as Forlán has this tournament, but they have impressed me more overall, in terms of tactics and simply the way they play. They have a strong defence with attacking wing backs, great attackers and can control a game as well as attack. As far as S.American teams go I put them above Uruguay and equal with Chile, Chile being the more attractive and dynamic team, Paraguay the more consistent and mature team.

Mahdi

Elite Member
Jan 1, 1970
Mjunik
well Argentina's impressed me more than Holland so I'd keep that the way he put it, but I agree on the Paraguay part. Like u said, Uruguay is an opportunistic team with a fantastic player in Forlán. Paraguay has no player who has done as well as Forlán has this tournament, but they have impressed me more overall, in terms of tactics and simply the way they play. They have a strong defence with attacking wing backs, great attackers and can control a game as well as attack. As far as S.American teams go I put them above Uruguay and equal with Chile, Chile being the more attractive and dynamic team, Paraguay the more consistent and mature team.
Sorry, so Uruguay is an opportunistic team..and Holland is what exactly?

If you guys want to bash Uruguay for being defensive and what not, maybe have a closer look at the goals Holland scores. It's long pass forward and Robben scores. Just saying..

But if Netherlands does it, they just have a good midfield and attack. if Uruguay does it, they are opportunistic. LOL.