Holland vs. Costa Rica | 2014 World cup Quarter Final | Saturday July 5th

Foo

Elite Member
Feb 12, 2006
Den Haag, Holland
As I said before, I think it was the psychological trick that was the genius. The aim was to make Costa Rica players believe that this guy is going to save their penalties. I can't think of any other reason because Krul's penalty saving stats are woeful.
agree, it's probably 90% that and 10% good performances/practice on penalties in training or something. But the psychological aspect is definitely the main factor.

byebyenow

Elite Member
Jun 3, 2006
I only partially agree. I agree Toldo deserved credit, he saved a penalty and saved quite a few other chances. Great performance. But the defence? Not so sure. Yeah, they got a clean sheet, but Holland had plenty of chances to win the game. They hit the woodwork, won 2 penalties, and had quite a few good chances from inside the box go wide or saved. That's not what I would call a very solid defence. It wasn't swiss cheese but it wasn't a great performance either, especially for a team defending with 9 men. The defence didn't get the draw, Toldo and Holland's poor finishing and penalties did. So to a certain extent it's understandable to say lucky Italy. That game was easily Holland's for the taking but they blew it.
Funny thing is, in the final it was reversed. There, it was Italy who played better and deserved to win, but France took it. Pretty strange cup now I think about it.

Toldo saved more than one penalty in that game! And Netherlands started dominating after Zambrotta got sent off. Yest Italy gave two penalties away but that is all Italy gave away from inside the box, as much as Netherlands had possession they didn't make as much chances as they wanted and most of them were from outside of box. Actually Italy defended very well and of course got lucky on few chances, however lets not forget Italy started making their own chances at the end which actually were more dangerous than any chances Netherlands had made during that game, Del Piero had a very good goal scoring chance. Netherlands can blame the loss all on themselves in that game, specially when they are at home playing ten men team. Italy should also get credit of how they stopped the best attacking team in that tournament with one men less in Amsterdam.

Foo

Elite Member
Feb 12, 2006
Den Haag, Holland
Toldo saved more than one penalty in that game! And Netherlands started dominating after Zambrotta got sent off. Yest Italy gave two penalties away but that is all Italy gave away from inside the box, as much as Netherlands had possession they didn't make as much chances as they wanted and most of them were from outside of box. Actually Italy defended very well and of course got lucky on few chances, however lets not forget Italy started making their own chances at the end which actually were more dangerous than any chances Netherlands had made during that game, Del Piero had a very good goal scoring chance. Netherlands can blame the loss all on themselves in that game, specially when they are at home playing ten men team. Italy should also get credit of how they stopped the best attacking team in that tournament with one men less in Amsterdam.
On Toldo: I meant during normal time, the other one hit the post ;)
Yeah, Italy had one or two chances but it barely ever happens that a team has 0 chances in a game (esp one of 120 minutes). Costa Rica also had one or two huge chances yesterday, and even Iran had at least 1 big chance in every group game. I completely agree Holland has to blame themselves. They got 2 fucking penalties during the game! Of course Italy deserves some credit, it's not like they were pure crap or their defence was swiss cheese or anything. It just wasn't an unpassable fortress either.

[video=youtube;NduS7kuLJ6o]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NduS7kuLJ6o[/video]

Besides the 2 biggest chances (the penalties), I count 6 chances from inside the box, 3 or 4 were very big ones. And this is a very short clip. Honestly, a couple were almost bigger chances than the penalties..but somehow Holland's world class strikers missed. That's why IMO Italy deserves some credit, but also has to thank Holland's poor finishing and poor penalty-taking (the 'lucky' part).

byebyenow

Elite Member
Jun 3, 2006
Actually Italy had more chances but anyways, Iran and Costa Rica weren't ten men against one of the best Dutch sides in Amsterdam either. However I don't call those chances but half chances except Bergkamp which was at the edge of the box and Kluivert on tight angle. Every time there was an Italian closing down on them or making it difficult for the Dutch. Even Kluivert comment on how Italian made everything difficult for them and wished Zambrotta never got red carded. Of course luck always has parts in it but it wasn't like Italy got to final with pure luck, after all they stopped the host nation with ten men for the most of the game and Toldo saved several penalties which needs to be respected. It was unfortunate that Holland couldn't beat Italy but it wasn't like Barcelona vs Chelsea game either, Dutch were getting frustrated! And they had a chance to beat Italy but not enough to past Italian defense and of course bad lucks and bad finishing cost them really bad. They only needed one goal and that penalty hit the post by Kluivert was the one that really started to play with Dutch heads and Italian took fully advantage of that. Italy Should gets credit for beating Netherlands, that is all I'm saying!

Last edited:

mashdi

Football Legend
Sep 29, 2005

Van Gaal hails best squad

Louis van Gaal has revealed he allows the senior figures in his Netherlands squad to have their say as United's incoming boss celebrated reaching the World Cup semi-finals.

The Dutch overcame Costa Rica on penalties after 120 goalless minutes as Tim Krul, introduced ahead of the shoot-out in what has been deemed a managerial masterstroke, saved two of the spot-kicks. Skipper Robin van Persie and ex-Liverpool man Dirk Kuyt helped motivate the troops ahead of the dramatic conclusion in Salvador.

"If a player says something, it hits [home] more than if I do," explained van Gaal. "Robin and Dirk gave great speeches. That was fantastic but I've felt this since we got together and became a unit at the training camp in Portugal.

"So I don't need to check on them, at all. They know exactly when they have to take their responsibilities. It's not about me or the staff but taking responsibility.

"In terms of team spirit and togetherness, this is the best group I've worked with. I thought we had more quality than Costa Rica and deserved to win. I don't know how much ball possession we had, how many times we hit the woodwork and how many chances we had. In the end, it's all about scoring."

Star winger Arjen Robben hailed van Gaal's tactical genius and Nigel De Jong, who is sidelined with injury, also praised the coach's remarkable attention to detail.

"He prepares for everything," revealed Robben to ESPN. "The coach speaks with everyone and discusses the systems. So we all know we will be ready when something happens. This is the power of the manager. It is not easy to create a team like this but, if you want to do something, you have to go in the same direction and he is the perfect manager to make that happen."

Former Manchester City midfielder De Jong added: "You've seen his CV. He is a fantastic coach and, over the years, he has got a lot of experience in these situations. That reflects also on the group. He is one of a kind in his way of working and especially the tactical discipline he has got for the team. But the tactical changes he makes in games is a new experience for me."

The Netherlands can now prepare for Wednesday night's clash with Argentina for the right to meet Brazil or Germany in the final.

"I saw in the match [with Belgium] that Argentina were just stopping and slamming on the brakes," commented van Gaal. "I only saw one half of the game. The beginning was in favour of Argentina and, after that, it was Belgium who dominated. Argentina have strong individual qualities but, if you say Argentina always attacks, that was not the case against Belgium. Not in the first half."

Foo

Elite Member
Feb 12, 2006
Den Haag, Holland
Actually Italy had more chances but anyways, Iran and Costa Rica weren't ten men against one of the best Dutch sides in Amsterdam either. However I don't call those chances but half chances except Bergkamp which was at the edge of the box and Kluivert on tight angle. Every time there was an Italian closing down on them or making it difficult for the Dutch. Even Kluivert comment on how Italian made everything difficult for them and wished Zambrotta never got red carded. Of course luck always has parts in it but it wasn't like Italy got to final with pure luck, after all they stopped the host nation with ten men for the most of the game and Toldo saved several penalties which needs to be respected. It was unfortunate that Holland couldn't beat Italy but it wasn't like Barcelona vs Chelsea game either, Dutch were getting frustrated! And they had a chance to beat Italy but not enough to past Italian defense and of course bad lucks and bad finishing cost them really bad. They only needed one goal and that penalty hit the post by Kluivert was the one that really started to play with Dutch heads and Italian took fully advantage of that. Italy Should gets credit for beating Netherlands, that is all I'm saying!
Definitely, Italy does deserve credit. I think we both agree that luck played a role as well as Italy's game and Toldo. Holland really gave it away, how much more than 2 penalties do they want..

Imagine if this Holland beats Argentina and then beats Germany in the final. Then they'll have beaten all 3 teams they lost their earlier finals to ;)

mashdi

Football Legend
Sep 29, 2005
looks like gas prices isn't the only reason it sucks to be in Holland ;)
No need to diss Holland. Bears are real expensive all over the world. :)

But if you pump a pint of beer in your own gas tank (manzoor shikam ast :) ) then you'll drive quite a distance. :drunk: