Iranian President selection thread

khodam

Bench Warmer
Oct 18, 2002
Atlanta
HAHAHAHA, Lucky !!!Your Candidate got in va hala shoma ham gardan koloft shodid, baba, lebas shakhsi nashi yek vaghti. vay vay vay :) I am kidding, I am kidding ;)

Azizam, You do sound the same and repeat the same stuff as them.

That being said I was not expecting any other answer anyway because I know you don't have one :)

Congratulation on getting your Candidate in , lets see che Goli in be sar Iran mizaneh :)
Shahin jan Rohani wasn't my candidate, he was people's candidate. I was just lucky enough to see that in time and align myself with people, which was really the point.

Now, as for saying the same thing as Ashtar and GP (which I'm sure is not the case), you see that's another proof of my point. Democratic discourse requires that you critique what is said not who says it. People inside Iran have learned this, as we saw nobody said we should vote because this guy does or shouldn't vote because the other did. They gave reasons supporting their points. That's the difference between those inside Iran and outside. You didn't have anything to say about what I said, so you likened me to GP and Ashtar like you always do.

Another indication that the society in Iran has changed/evolved significantly in this reform process is the significant difference in their voting (or non-voting) patterns with those outside Iran. People in Iran decided to vote quite massively despite all the issues while you kept insisting until yesterday that the majority of youth won't vote, or that it doesn't matter it'll be Khamenei's choice anyway, etc.

At some point you have to step back and objectively evaluate your position vis a vis the current Iranian society instead of being bitter about being left out.

a123321r

National Team Player
Oct 27, 2002
bradford, england
to be honest.. on some level regardless of how rohani actually turns out it's just nice to see iranians happy.. even if it's for a little bit.. i remember when khatami came to power there was a feeling of so much hope and of course we had our first ever world cup win and a lot of things actually started getting better.. yeah true that after a while people got frustrated with the speed of progress.. but after 8 years of this shit it's just nice having a little hope back even if it's just a glimmer of light after 8 years of complete darkness it feels like the sun shining.. and again you can analyse it a million different ways and cast so many shadows on it, but if it's just enough to lift these people that little bit then it's a good thing..bring on the worldcup in brazil :)

IranZamin

IPL Player
Feb 17, 2006
Having read all the comments so far, here are a few thoughts about the idea of working to fracture the regime from within, versus hoping that crippling sanctions, a revolt, or an outright war will bring it down. As far as war or revolt, I don’t see how having allowed Qalibaf, both a more capable manager and less ideologically reckless politician than AN, would have brought about an uprising or apocalyptic showdown with the West, especially the latter considering that the ultimate decision on nukes and aid to terrorists is made by rahbar anyway.

As far as the sanctions scenario, you also have to consider that the average Iranian is simply not willing to go along with this option. It’s not about being greedy or completely selfish either. They basically have to choose to watch their children starve in the hopes that heavier sanctions might bring the regime down, an outcome which is not even guaranteed. In North Korea, people are resorting to cannibalism and the government is still in charge. Saddam faced drastic sanctions in the ‘90s with a heavy toll on the population, and he still didn’t go until a full invasion removed him.

The big picture is this: While I agree this regime is not reformable, whether we agree with them or not, or share their view of Rohani or not, many of those who supported the reformists and backed Mousavi are now re-energized by Rohani’s election. Even from a revolt scenario, the two biggest uprisings in the last 33 years happened when reformists were motivated and carrying momentum. The first was in ’99 in response to a reformist paper being shut down, and the second was ten years later when a reformist candidate was cheated. Just from the standpoint of bringing people to the streets again in the future, I don’t see how sitting back and allowing the ‘reform’ faction of the regime to be beaten down would have been a good strategy.

Jun 18, 2005
I would be happy if I actually believed that in this instance people overcame the will of the regime but unfortunately thats not how i see it. With these elections here is what took place:

1- The questions about illegitimacy of last election have been forgotten
2- IR is projecting a picture of democracy and legitimacy at very little cost
3- With the ongoing economy collapse they now get to blame the reformists and deflect blame from the real decision maker who is Khamenei
4- They get to make look AN the evil one who ruined everything in the past 8 years while again the real decision maker was and is someone else. With this made up victory, people get to celebrate and vent off as if now they have changed something. When in reality nothing has changed.

I even doubt the accuracy of voting tally. Its pretty much made up.

Jun 18, 2005
انتخاب آقای حسن روحانی, مجتهد شیعه, نماینده مجلس خبرگان رهبری, عضو مجمع تشخیص مصلحت نظام, عضو شورای عالی امنیت ملی، رئیس مرکز تحقیقات استراتژیک نظام و کاندید تائید شده شورای نگهبان را به همه کسانی که با امید تغییرات در حکومت اسلامی! به ایشان رای داده اند تبریک می گویم!​

Silverton

National Team Player
Nov 6, 2004
I would be happy if I actually believed that in this instance people overcame the will of the regime but unfortunately thats not how i see it. With these elections here is what took place:

1- The questions about illegitimacy of last election have been forgotten
2- IR is projecting a picture of democracy and legitimacy at very little cost
3- With the ongoing economy collapse they now get to blame the reformists and deflect blame from the real decision maker who is Khamenei
4- They get to make look AN the evil one who ruined everything in the past 8 years while again the real decision maker was and is someone else. With this made up victory, people get to celebrate and vent off as if now they have changed something. When in reality nothing has changed.

I even doubt the accuracy of voting tally. Its pretty much made up.
I agree & great points. But let's hope things will get better. There is clearly palpable tension between Khamenei and the people of Iran. Maybe the people of Iran will demand a lot from Rouhani and he will have to go to bat for them. Let's see how things unfold.

But you really like our chances if it's the Iranian people vs. the Basijis in the streets? The most merciless and cruel bunch of people on planet earth.

Nov 29, 2002
Re: Street celebrations

Why are they kidding themselves? I feel sad that they have their hopes up again - its just the same cycle.

1997-2005 is repeating itself, all it needs is a world cup qualification and we get the same package again of a small amount of hope dashed and no progress made.

Jun 9, 2004
Canada
Having read all the comments so far, here are a few thoughts about the idea of working to fracture the regime from within, versus hoping that crippling sanctions, a revolt, or an outright war will bring it down. As far as war or revolt, I don’t see how having allowed Qalibaf, both a more capable manager and less ideologically reckless politician than AN, would have brought about an uprising or apocalyptic showdown with the West, especially the latter considering that the ultimate decision on nukes and aid to terrorists is made by rahbar anyway.

As far as the sanctions scenario, you also have to consider that the average Iranian is simply not willing to go along with this option. It’s not about being greedy or completely selfish either. They basically have to choose to watch their children starve in the hopes that heavier sanctions might bring the regime down, an outcome which is not even guaranteed. In North Korea, people are resorting to cannibalism and the government is still in charge. Saddam faced drastic sanctions in the ‘90s with a heavy toll on the population, and he still didn’t go until a full invasion removed him.

The big picture is this: While I agree this regime is not reformable, whether we agree with them or not, or share their view of Rohani or not, many of those who supported the reformists and backed Mousavi are now re-energized by Rohani’s election. Even from a revolt scenario, the two biggest uprisings in the last 33 years happened when reformists were motivated and carrying momentum. The first was in ’99 in response to a reformist paper being shut down, and the second was ten years later when a reformist candidate was cheated. Just from the standpoint of bringing people to the streets again in the future, I don’t see how sitting back and allowing the ‘reform’ faction of the regime to be beaten down would have been a good strategy.
The problem IZ jaan is that this guy was not a reformist until a few weeks ago. What makes him a reformist now, simply having been branded as such when he was approved by the GC so that people would vote for him? He has held some of the highest positions within the IR already. What form of "reform" did he bring to those organizations or to the system in general? What form of "reform" has he said he's going to bring to Iran? What form of reform did he mention in his victory speech? The only thing he reformed already and what will most likely remain the only reform we will see from him in the next 4 years, is that he reformed a bunch of disillusioned and angry Iranian voters into dancing and celebratory supporters of the regime overnight by doing absolutely nothing! The best we can expect from him is to return the IR to the latter years of Khatami, not even the first 2-3 years IMHO.

If we're going to base our definition of reform on that, taking 4 steps back and 1 step forward, then I guess he's a reformist! But if reform means real structural changes and actual long term steps in the right direction, I hardly consider any of these guys, including Khatami real reformists outside the limited Iranian definition. Just another akhund with a nice smile who has the ability to pass off being screwed from behind with a little bit of Vaseline as a pleasant and pleasurable experience! Of course, after 8 years of Khatami and 8 years of AN who was not shy about doing it without Vaseline, perhaps Iranians have started enjoying being screwed from behind - they just prefer someone who uses Vaseline, otherwise there's absolutely no reason to be celebrating! ;)

Last edited:
Jun 18, 2005
Of the 6 or so candidates in the race any one of them had higher profile positions currently than Rohani?

1- Rezai: secretary of expediency council
2- Velayati: Khamenei's adviser
3- Ghalibaf: Tehran's mayor
4- Jalili: Head of Iran's nuclear delegation
5- Gharazi: ?!?
6- Rohani: Supreme leader's representative in supreme national council, head of regime strategic studies center, member of assembly of experts, member of expediency council

a123321r

National Team Player
Oct 27, 2002
bradford, england
Re: Street celebrations

Why are they kidding themselves? I feel sad that they have their hopes up again - its just the same cycle.

1997-2005 is repeating itself, all it needs is a world cup qualification and we get the same package again of a small amount of hope dashed and no progress made.
i know it's sad.. but it's kinda like watching a cancer patient on make a wish foundation.. you know it's a small gesture for their troubles but it's still nice to see them happy for a bit!

May 12, 2007
Regardless, Ghalibaf or Rohani IZ jan Khamenei wants to run the foregn policy him self. If sanctions continue it is limited what the president can do no matter how compotant he is.
Based on Rohanis past I doubt he will be anything like Khatami.

Last edited: