Manchester United Information Thread

mashdi

Football Legend
Sep 29, 2005

Good game last night with the likes of Darren Fletcher , Zaha , Fabio , Varela & Janko getting some playing time. :)

Blackburn Rovers U21 - 0-2 - Manchester United U21
Barclays U21 Premier League
Monday 2 December 2013

United goals by Zaha & Wilson.

United: Johnstone; Varela, Thorpe, Ekangamene, James; Janko (Pearson 69), Rothwell, Darren Fletcher, Fabio, Zaha; Wilson (A.Pereira 79). Subs not used: Gollini, Love, Barmby, Rudge.

Zaha's goal

Wilson's free kick goal

Wilfried Zaha turned on the style as Manchester United Under-21s defeated Blackburn Rovers 2-0 at the Leigh Sports Village.

The summer arrival from Crystal Palace sparkled throughout and finally ended the hosts' resistance with an opening goal on 67 minutes. James Wilson, who has just turned 18, clinched the three points with a fine free-kick on his first Barclays Under-21 Premier League start.

United fielded Fabio, Darren Fletcher and Zaha, who all started in the last outing against Stoke City, but also included UEFA Youth League stars Joe Rothwell and Wilson with Charni Ekangamene moving into defence.

Sam Johnstone was forced to superbly claw away an effort by Jordan Slew after the ex-Sheffield United forward burst past a couple of challenges as the bottom team belied their lowly position. Gradually, the pressure began to build at the other end, however, and Matty Urwin's throw-out was snapped up by Rothwell to set up a Wilson shot but the keeper redeemed himself with a reflex save.

Moments later, Zaha collected a crossfield pass by Reece James and fired in a powerful shot that was deflected just wide before Rothwell was unable to control a defence-splitting pass by Fletcher. Although Raheem Hanley's attempt prompted another stop from Johnstone, United continued to up the tempo and Zaha almost profited when the ball struck the referee but Urwin saved.

Another sloppy clearance by Urwin allowed Saidy Janko to drift a snap-shot off target and Yann Songo'o headed a powerful centre by the Swiss wide man over his own goal. The last action of the first half saw Wilson force a fine save out of Urwin following some blistering wing-play by Zaha.

Little changed after the break with Songo'o deflecting Fabio and Zaha efforts off target while Zaha was unlucky to brush a post after a bewitching dribble eventually led to a shooting opportunity.

Johnstone did have to show his bravery by racing off his line on one occasion to gather a cross but a United goal became an inevitability.

Urwin did well to hold a Zaha volley following a Fletcher free-kick but the keeper was beaten seconds later when more great skill by Zaha allowed him to gather a James pass, play a one-two with Fabio and bury an unstoppable finish.

Fletcher was denied by the on-rushing Urwin but a second goal duly arrived through promising teenager Wilson. Zaha was crudely brought down on the edge of the box and the England Under-19 international blasted a left-footed free-kick into the bottom corner of the net.

To his credit, Urwin refused to be bowed and made a splendid double save to thwart Rothwell and substitute Andreas Pereira in the closing stages as it became a damage limitation job for the besieged home side.

mashdi

Football Legend
Sep 29, 2005
Mashdi jan

I heard Moyes was spotted in Madrid watching koke playing against Porto

Also a very strong rumor connecting RVP to Barca in January
Could be Koke. but United has also been scouting Porto , Sporting and Benfica recently. Matic (Benfica) ,Carvalho (Sporting) , Fernando (Porto) and Mangala (Porto) are speculated to be possible targets.

I don't know much about RVP situation yet to report about.

mashdi

Football Legend
Sep 29, 2005

Aston Villa 0 Manchester United 3
EPL week 16
Sunday 15 December 2013

United goals by Welbeck (2) & Cleverley.

Link to watch full match replay

http://livefootballvideo.com/fullmatch/england/premier-league/aston-villa-vs-manchester-united

Moyes hails job well done

David Moyes declared himself satisfied with United’s 3-0 win away to Aston Villa, but has called on his side to improve in the coming weeks.

The Reds came away from Villa Park with three points courtesy of Danny Welbeck’s pair of first-half goals within three minutes and Tom Cleverley’s strike early in the second half, but the manager felt his side could have secured an even more emphatic result.

“It was a good job done,” Moyes told MUTV and Sky Sports. “The players played well. The only thing I'd be critical of is that we didn't score more goals. For the first five or six minutes we didn’t quite come out on the front foot, but after that we took control and played well.

“I think we'll play much better than that. I've told the players that that is the least we can do, we've got to keep going and keep winning more games.”

The win saw United claim victory for the first time in four Barclays Premier League outings, but the manager pinpointed the way his side took their chances as the major difference with recent results.

“I don't think there was an awful lot of difference except obviously we scored the goals,” said Moyes. “The fact we've not been scoring goals changes the way the games have looked, mainly for the media it changes how it looks. But we know we have to play better as well, and we have to play better than we did today again. It continually has to improve and it will improve, and I'll make sure it gets better in the coming month.”

David Moyes post match interview

[video=youtube;rEqhdqMrKmY]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rEqhdqMrKmY[/video]

mashdi

Football Legend
Sep 29, 2005

FA Youth Cup

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/FA_Youth_Cup

The Football Association Youth Challenge Cup is an English football competition run by The Football Association for under–18 sides. Only those players between the age of 15 and 18 on 31 August of the current season are eligible to take part. It is dominated by the youth sides of professional teams, mostly from the Premier League, but attracts over 400 entrants from throughout the country.

The tournament has served as a springboard into the professional game for many top British players. The likes of George Best, John Barnes, Ryan Giggs, David Beckham, Gary Neville, Frank Lampard, Michael Owen, Steven Gerrard, Jamie Carragher, Joe Cole, Wayne Rooney, Theo Walcott, Jack Wilshere, Adam Johnson and Gareth Bale had all won the tournament or played in the final. The 1991-92 FA Youth Cup famously spawned the rise of Manchester United's Fergie's Fledglings.

Manchester United are the competition's most successful club, winning it ten times. The current holders are Norwich City.

Burnley U-18 - 0 Manchester United U-18 - 2
FA Youth Cup Third Round
Monday 16 December 2013

United goals by Andreas Pereira & James Wilson

United:

Joel Pereira, Janko, Evans, McConnell, Barber, Willock, Goss, Harrop, Andreas Pereira, Redmond (Ashley Fletcher 65), James Wilson.
Subs not used: Henderson, Mitchell, Borthwick-Jackson, Rashford.

Good game last night that i enjoyed watching it on Manchehster United TV (MUTV) with Manchester United legend & Director Sir Bobby Charlton present in house. some Manchester United kids are developing real well at United Academy. Joel Pereira , James Wilson , Andreas Pereira & Josh Harrop to name a few. :)

And Burnley's Jamie Frost is a fine young prospect for scouts to look at.he constantly put himself in real good positions and could have scored several goals last night.

mashdi

Football Legend
Sep 29, 2005

Next Manchester United match is tonight. :)

Stoke v Manchester United
Football League Cup Quarter-Final
Wednesday 18 December 2013
KO : 19:45 UK time

Live on Sky Sports 1 and a host of other TV outlets including Al Jazeera Sport +9 , beIN Sport 1 , Fox Sports , SuperSport Maximo 1 & Setanta Sports Eurasia.

Link to match preview

http://www.manutd.com/en/Fixtures-A...anchester-United-Capital-One-Cup-preview.aspx

Moyes hints at changes

David Moyes has revealed he may make changes to his Manchester United side for Wednesday’s Capital One Cup quarter-final at Stoke City.

The game is the first of four in 10 days for the Reds and the manager is mindful of rotating the players during the busy festive period to keep them fresh.

Moyes confirmed he has a few injuries to contend with but has no new concerns following Sunday’s 3-0 Barclays Premier League win over Aston Villa.

"We have a squad of players who I believe can all play in any game, so I’ll see who I think is ready," he told a press conference on Tuesday.

"We have a lot of games coming up and we need to use that squad. I’ll look at this game and see who is best suited. But I think we have fielded a strong side in every game we have played.

"There were a few I expected to play [against Villa] but got injured on Saturday before we travelled down. There is nothing fresh and hopefully I won’t find anything fresh."

United are bidding to reach the last four of the Capital One Cup for the first time since winning the competition in 2010 and Moyes added: "All cup competitions are important to Manchester United.

"Managers might have some priorities that are more important than others but I’ve tried to win every competition I’ve been involved in and I will definitely do everything I can to win this one."

Stoke, who beat Birmingham on penalties in the last round, have had a mixed start to the league season under Mark Hughes and sit 13th in the table, though they remain a tough prospect at their Britannia Stadium home.

Moyes said: "Like a lot of clubs, there is a transition happening at Stoke and they are changing. Mark is a very experienced manager in Premier League terms and he will put his own stamp on Stoke."

David Moyes : " The best clubs have stability "

[video=youtube;Y_pFipD_8cA]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y_pFipD_8cA[/video]

Last edited:

mashdi

Football Legend
Sep 29, 2005

Cristiano Ronaldo's Special Message To Sir Alex Ferguson At BBC Sports Personality Of The Year 2013 :)

[video=youtube;TxKn9CHtJDQ]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TxKn9CHtJDQ[/video]

mashdi

Football Legend
Sep 29, 2005

Stoke City 0 Manchester United 2
Football League Cup Quarter-Final
Wednesday 18 December 2013

United goals by Ashley Young & Patrice Evra.

http://www.footballorgin.com/2013/12/capital-one-league-cup-2013-2014-stoke_19.html

Moyes praises defence

David Moyes praised the way his Manchester United defenders coped with the difficult conditions thrown at them during the Capital One Cup win at Stoke City.

The Reds battled Stoke’s physical presence and the wintry elements at the Britannia Stadium to seal a 2-0 win and reach the semi-finals of the competition.

After being disrupted in the first half by the delay caused by a mighty hailstorm, Moyes’ men regrouped and broke the deadlock through Ashley Young’s stunning drive, before Patrice Evra’s curler wrapped up the victory.

Moyes told MUTV: "It was good for our defenders to get another clean sheet. Stoke is not an easy place to come to: we had to defend quite a few corners and balls in the box. So defensively we were really sound.

"We did well tonight in difficult conditions. It was an incredible night – the conditions played havoc and were a leveller for the whole game. In the first half it was difficult so it was important the defenders concentrated and didn’t make any mistakes.

"It might have been a night where a centre-half slipped over or misjudged the ball in the wind, so we had to make sure that didn’t happen."

Moyes revealed he told his players at half-time they needed to play better and was pleased with the response after the interval.

"We changed it around 10 minutes in the second half [replacing Anderson with Javier Hernandez] and I thought it benefitted us.

"In the end we got a really good goal from Ashley Young. There hadn’t been an awful lot in the game but I thought in the main we passed the ball well enough and just needed to get the goal."

Next up is a home league game against West Ham and Moyes wants to keep producing the goods to reward the travelling United fans who braved the weather to sing their hearts out all night.

"The conditions were terrible but they sang for the whole game and were great," the manager said. "It was right that they saw their team win and hopefully we can keep that going."

mashdi

Football Legend
Sep 29, 2005
Merry Christmas & Happy Holidays to all visitors of this Manchester United Thread with over 1,000,000 views so far. :)

Next Manchester United match will be tomorrow. :)

Manchester United vs West Ham United
English Premier League week 17
Saturday 21 December 2013
Old Trafford , Manchester
KO: 15:00 UK time

Link to match preview

http://www.manutd.com/en/Fixtures-A...v-West-Ham-United-Premier-League-preview.aspx

Listen to latest edition of Matchday Podcast here.open with Windows Media Player.

http://twii.edgeboss.net/download/twii/manutd/audio/matchdaypodcast_191213.mp3

Podcast: Hammers time

Manchester United have bounced back to winning ways with three victories in three competitions to fill fans with plenty of hope ahead of the fesitve fixtures.

First up it's West Ham's visit to Old Trafford on Saturday 21 December and it's that game that's the main topic of conversation in this edition of the United Uncovered matchday podcast.

Our Matchday Podcast is your on-the-go guide to the game, as MUTV's Mark Sullivan is joined in the studio by ManUtd.com journalists Mark Froggatt and Nathan Thomas. Up for discussion are both teams' recent form, United's win at Stoke City on Wednesday and the selection choices David Moyes has for Saturday's match.

We also hear from former Reds and Hammers goalkeeper Roy Carroll, who's now at Olympiacos.

Moyes eyes more goals

David Moyes wants the United squad to follow the example of Ashley Young and Patrice Evra by adding goals from throughout the team.

Young became the Reds’ 14th different goal scorer in all competitions this term when he smashed the ball past Stoke City goalkeeper Thomas Sorensen in Wednesday night’s Capital One Cup win, while left-back Evra’s follow-up was the France international’s second of the season.

Tom Cleverley opened his account for 2013/14 at Villa Park last Sunday, and with Robin van Persie ruled out until January with a thigh problem the manager wants the rest of his players to contribute as much as possible.

“We want goals to come from everybody,” Moyes insists. “We keep telling them that we need as many goals as we can from all different areas.

"Hopefully you get the majority from your strikers throughout the season but it was good the other night that Ashley got himself a goal and Pat scored himself a really nice goal as well.”

Moyes is looking to extend the current unbeaten run when West Ham visit on Saturday, but despite the last two home games in the Barclays Premier League ending in defeat, he has been impressed with the way the Old Trafford crowd have backed the team to the hilt in adversity.

“I have never found Old Trafford nervy, I have not found it that way at all. In fact I have found it the opposite, I think it’s a brilliant place to be,” the boss added.

“I have found that the support from the crowd is fantastic, and they are right behind the team. Obviously we have got to win and score a few more goals, so we will try and do the best we can.”

mashdi

Football Legend
Sep 29, 2005

Manchester United 3 West Ham United 1
English Premier League week 17
Saturday 21 December 2013

United goals by Welbeck , Januzaj & Young.

http://livefootballvideo.com/fullmatch/england/premier-league/manchester-united-vs-west-ham-united

Moyes pleased with form

David Moyes was satisfied with the 3-1 victory against West Ham and feels his Manchester United side are starting to create more chances.

The Reds were worthy of a three-goal lead against the Hammers with Danny Welbeck, Adnan Januzaj and Ashley Young on the scoresheet before Carlton Cole's late consolation. It sets the Reds up nicely for the trips to Hull and Norwich in the next week.

"We've had a couple of really good victories and another good one today so I'm really pleased with that," enthused the boss.

"I was pleased for the players because I think they earned it by playing well. We might have scored more and, probably should have scored more, but I am really pleased with how we performed.

"We're beginning to get better and beginning to create more chances. We could have had four or five but didn't quite make the opportunities to take a chance. Also, Chicharito was onside [when having a goal disallowed] if you see it again, so that could have been another one.

"Our play is getting much better and I think the players are getting much better too. I see that they’ve got real confidence when taking the ball. There were some real good passes and inter-play for the first goal between Wayne [Rooney] and Danny. It was great to see Danny get on the scoresheet once again even though he came off with a bit of a sore knee. It will do his confidence a world of good. He’s getting some goals now and showing that he can do that."

Cole's effort may not have cost the Reds any points but it was frustrating to see David De Gea's run of shut-outs come to an end.

"Conceding the goal was a disappointment as we'd kept three clean sheets in a row and looked on course for a fourth," admitted Moyes. "We didn't defend it well enough, we left the boy onside when we shouldn't have but, overall, I'm not disappointed.

"I thought the victory was not really in doubt at any time. I think the best thing is to try to win the next game. There is a long way to go but we'll try to win the next one and see how we go."

mashdi

Football Legend
Sep 29, 2005

Merry Christmass and Happy New Year to all visitors of Manchester United Information Thread. :cheers:

And Christmass always reminds me of Manchester United legend Eric Cantona and one of my favorite United chants:

Eric Cantona , Honours with Manchester United:

English Premier League Champion (4): 1992–93, 1993–94, 1995–96, 1996–97
FA Cup Winner (2): 1993–94, 1995–96
Charity Shield Winner (3): 1993, 1994, 1996

Sir Alex Ferguson , Eric Cantona , Steven Bruce

On the twelfth day of Christmas, my true love gave to me,

12 Cantonas,
11 Cantonas,
10 Cantonas,
9 Cantonas,
8 Cantonas,
7 Cantonas,
6 Cantonas,
5 Can-tooo-naaaaaas,
4 Cantonas,
3 Cantonas,
2 Cantonas,

and an Eric Cantona

United
United
United!!!!

[video=youtube;TM9T7IVXXdo]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TM9T7IVXXdo[/video]

Manchester United's next 4 matches

26 December 2013 - vs Hull City - English Premier League
28 December 2013 - vs Norwich City - English Premier League
01 January 2014 - vs Tottenham Hotspur - English Premier League
05 January 2014 - vs Swansea City - FA Cup third round

Next Manchester United match is today. it's boxing day.Manchester United visits Hull City managed by Manchester United legend Steve Bruce. :)

Steven Bruce : Honours with Manchester United

English Premier League Champion (3) : 1992–93, 1993–94, 1995–96
FA Cup Winner (2) : 1990, 1994, 1996
Football League Cup Winner: 1992
Charity Shield: Winner (3) :1990 (shared), 1993, 1994
European Cup Winners' Cup Winner: 1991
European Super Cup Winner: 1991

Roy Keane , Steve Bruce & Paul Scholes

Hull City vs Manchester United
EPL week 18
Thursday 26 December 2013
KO : 12:45 UK time

Link to match preview

http://www.manutd.com/en/Fixtures-A...Manchester-United-Premier-League-preview.aspx

Boss impressed by Bruce

Manchester United manager David Moyes praised his opposite number Steve Bruce ahead of the trip to Hull City on Boxing Day.

Reds legend Bruce guided Hull to the second automatic promotion place in the Championship last term and, approaching the midway point of this season, they sit in 12th spot in the Barclays Premier League.

The Tigers were wobbling after losing four out of five games in October and November, but Bruce has since steadied the ship and his side secured a memorable 3-1 home win over high-flying Liverpool at the start of this month.

"Steve Bruce has done a good job with Hull – he has really brought them back," Moyes said at his pre-match press conference.

"They looked as though they were dipping and going in the wrong direction. I think he has done a great job in getting momentum going again. They have got some good players and they will be a hard team to beat, as they have had a decent first half to the season."

Hull currently boast the third best defensive home record in Europe, having conceded only three goals in eight league games at the KC Stadium in 2013/14.

When asked about that, Moyes replied: "I didn’t know that until you just told me so that is a great record for Hull. You have either got to score plenty of goals or not concede goals – it is one or the other.

"If they have a good base and are hard to beat, that is something they can build on and hope for that odd goal here and there to win the games. But we know it will be a tough game at Hull."

Hull may be strong at home but United’s away form has been encouraging: the Reds are unbeaten on the road since the Manchester derby defeat in September.

Moyes added: "Away games are always much harder than the home games; we have to make sure we go there and do the job right.

"We have done quite well away from home this season. We will try to keep going, keep the good away form up and hopefully pick up some points."

mashdi

Football Legend
Sep 29, 2005

Hull City 2 Manchester United 3
EPL week 18
Thursday 26 December 2013

United goals by Smalling , Rooney & James Chester (own goal).

http://livefootballvideo.com/fullmatch/england/premier-league/hull-city-vs-manchester-united

Rooney praises fighting spirit

Wayne Rooney praised Manchester United’s fighting spirit after the Reds overturned a 2-0 deficit at the KC Stadium to notch a crucial 3-2 win.

After conceding two sloppy goals early on, the champions rallied and restored parity by the 26-minute mark. An unfortunate own goal by former United defender James Chester in the 66th minute ultimately then made it a fine day for the visitors.

Rooney, who notched his 150th Premier League strike for the club, was delighted with the resilience displayed throughout the team.

“We didn’t start well today and when it got to 2-0 [down] we knew that we were going to have to dig deep and show our fighting spirit,” Wayne told Sky Sports.

“We had to come back quick and thankfully we got the two goals before half-time."

The Reds’ no.10, whose sensational first-half strike hauled United level at 2-2, was also asked whether his landmark goal was one of his best ever.

“Probably, but I haven’t seen it back properly yet," Rooney replied. "It bounced nicely for me and I had a go.

"It was a big goal for us at an important time in the game. Once we got the third goal we tried to kill the game off [with another]. That didn’t happen. But it's a great result for us today."

United's win – the fifth in a row in all competitions – lifted the Reds to sixth in the table prior to the other Boxing Day games beginning.

“We are starting to show some real quality now," added Rooney.

"We’re having a go and we’re fighting for each other. We’re ready for the challenge and hopefully we can surprise a few people.”

Moyes: I never doubted us

Manchester United manager David Moyes says he never gave up faith that the Reds would have enough left in the locker to earn a hallmark comeback win over Hull City on Boxing Day.

The Reds allowed the home side to accrue an early two-goal advantage during a melee of an opening 13 minutes but thereafter the champions regained composure and, much to the delight of the manager, notched an important win at the KC Stadium.

“I always thought we’d go on and win it,” Moyes told MUTV. “What we’ve got here is the capability and I don’t think there would have been one supporter who thought that the game was over [when we went two down], I certainly didn’t.

“My only concern was Hull’s defensive record here this season, I think they’d only conceded three goals prior to today,” the boss added. “Thankfully, by half-time we were back level and I even thought we should have been 3-2 up by that point.”

Despite Moyes’ evident satisfaction with the result, the manager expressed his want for United to kill off opponents in order to avoid any chance of a late revival.

“When we got the third goal I really wanted the lads to go on and score again and get that fourth goal to avoid the scary moments that we had in the last five minutes.

“I had to change things around as we had a couple of injuries and then Antonio was sent off which made things even harder for us.”

Thankfully, the Reds possessed enough attacking prowess to overhaul Hull’s surprise lead. The second of United's three goals, a 26th-minute volley scored by Wayne Rooney, earned particular praise from the boss.

“It was a great volley," said Moyes. "We know that Wayne’s capable of that and that he can score all sorts of goals. He put the boy under so much pressure in the lead up to the third goal too. He played really well once again.”

David Moyes

[video=youtube;8TJjh0XORhE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8TJjh0XORhE[/video]

mashdi

Football Legend
Sep 29, 2005

Next Manchester United match is today. :)

Norwich vs Manchester United
English Premier League week 19
Saturday 28 December 2013
KO: 15:00 UK time

Link to match preview

http://www.manutd.com/en/Fixtures-A...h-City-v-Manchester-United-match-preview.aspx

Rooney ready for Norwich test

Wayne Rooney believes Norwich City will offer a different threat to that posed by Hull City and insists his Manchester United team-mates are more than up for the challenge.

The Reds came from two goals down to record a dramatic 3-2 win at the KC Stadium on Boxing Day. Next on the festive fixture list is Saturday’s trip to Carrow Road and Rooney hopes to secure three more Premier League points.

“Hull play a different system here (at the KC Stadium) but we managed to get a hold of the game,” Wayne told MUTV. “Saturday’s match will be different to what we faced today and Norwich will be different as well.

“It’s always a good atmosphere at Carrow Road and I’m sure they’ll come out running and trying to get in our faces, but we have to show our quality and hopefully that will win us the game.”

48 hours after a match, Rooney would normally be resting for United’s next match. However, at this time of year, the recuperation pool is swapped for the pitch and while this isn’t ideal, he is excited for another big game.

“Two days after a game we are normally in the pool and in the gym, recovering from the last game,” Wayne explained on Thursday. “Obviously it’s a bit different at this time of year. I still think that in England there should be a winter break, I think that would benefit everyone but we have to get on with it, we’re professionals and we’re looking forward to it - another big game.”

Asked if a winter break would rob fans of matches like Thursday’s, Rooney said: “It would but in terms of recharging your batteries and getting the team ready it would help. I also think it would benefit the international set-up too. Hopefully that will come in. I think it’s only a matter of time.”

mashdi

Football Legend
Sep 29, 2005

Norwich 0 Manchester United 1
EPL week 19
Saturday 28 December 2013

United goal by Danny Welbeck

http://livefootballvideo.com/fullmatch/england/premier-league/norwich-city-vs-manchester-united

Moyes applauds Welbeck impact

David Moyes hailed a “brilliant” Manchester United victory and praised Danny Welbeck after the Reds recorded a hard-fought 1-0 win over Norwich City at Carrow Road.

With the score goalless at half-time, the boss introduced Welbeck to the action and the England international made a fabulous impact, ultimately deciding the match by rounding Canaries goalkeeper John Ruddy to score the game’s winning goal in the 57th minute.

Speaking to MUTV after the match, Moyes was delighted with the win and his striker: “It's just a brilliant three points. We have had two away games in three days, they have both been hard and very close, but it's terrific that the players have come out with six points.

“We needed the squad. We have a big squad here and a good squad. If you are going to win games away from home then you are going to need them to do their job, and we are going to need them in the coming games as well.

“It was great to get the victory, although we didn’t play particularly well in the first half. In the first 10 minutes, I thought we did well but then we lost our way a little bit. I thought Danny Welbeck came on and made a massive difference for us. He gave us something slightly different.”

Asked if his decision to bring Welbeck on changed the game, Moyes was humble and keen to attribute all of the credit to the 23-year-old. He also acknowledged Norwich’s performance and the way they reacted to a disappointing Boxing Day defeat to Fulham.

“I have got to say it was all about Danny’s performance for me," insisted the manager. "I didn’t like the way we finished the first half, we gave away seven or eight corner kicks and we hadn’t got enough grip of the ball.

"The biggest thing that I noticed was how well Norwich had reacted to their result against Fulham. They put in a great performance for their manager. The crowd were right behind them too and I'm realising that a lot of teams raise their game when Manchester United come to town. It was a tough match for us.”

David Moyes

[video=youtube;iB1QtbNouRo]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iB1QtbNouRo[/video]

mashdi

Football Legend
Sep 29, 2005

Next Manchester United match is today. :)

Manchester United vs Swansea
EPL week 21
Saturday 11 January 2014
KO : 17:30 UK time

Link to match preview

Link to listen to latest edition of Manchester United Podcast.open with Windows Media Player.

http://twii.edgeboss.net/download/twii/manutd/audio/matchdaypodcast_100114.mp3

Podcast: Swansea return

ManUtd.com's first podcast of 2014 focuses on this Saturday's clash with Swansea in the Barclays Premier League as Manchester United bid to end a run of three straight defeats.

The Swans inflicted one of those losses of course, in last weekend's FA Cup third-round tie at Old Trafford, so what are the chances of a different outcome on the same pitch this time?

That's one of the topics tackled by ManUtd.com journalists Ben Hibbs and Adam Bostock, in conversation with MUTV's Helen Evans. Listen to the podcast and you'll hear their voices plus those of United right-back Rafael and interviewer David Stowell.

Giggs remains positive

Ryan Giggs is confident Manchester United can get back to winning ways sooner rather than later after a run of three straight defeats.

After claiming six victories on the bounce towards the end of last year, the Reds are yet to register a win in 2014. As United's most experienced campaigner, Giggs is refusing to panic, insisting the squad have the quality and the desire to turn things around.

"I have said over the years that the defeats and losses generate a bigger feeling than winning things. It sticks with you a lot longer. You have to react and you have to try to do something about it," said Ryan.

"There are a lot of players who have come into the club who have only known winning. It is a test of character but I am fully confident we will come through it and we will be okay.

"At United, we have never got carried away too much when we have been winning trophies and it’s also the case that you don't get carried away when you’re losing. We don't get too down about it but we want to do something about it."

And Giggs insists the older professionals have a role to play in helping the less experienced members of the group through this difficult period.

"I think it's important for the older players, who have been through this before and been through sticky patches to help the younger ones, who may only have known winning," adds the 40-year-old.

"There are good players in the dressing room. We probably haven't been playing to the best of our ability, both individually and as a team. But if we do that, we will win more matches than we lose. We are confident even though it has been a bit of a tricky spell for us. The team spirit is good within the dressing room but we need to prove what good players we are on the pitch."

Ryan Giggs was speaking to Sky Sports News and PA Sport at the launch of United's new sponsorship agreement with Aperol.

Moyes: We must be clinical

David Moyes has urged his Manchester United side to take their chances against Swansea City on Saturday.

The Reds will be striving to bring a run of three consecutive defeats to an end when Michael Laudrup’s team return to Old Trafford six days after they won the FA Cup third-round tie in dramatic fashion with a header from Wilfried Bony.

While the manager feels that the breaks have not been with United of late, he says the onus is on the players that he can pick, in the absence of the injured Wayne Rooney and Robin van Persie, to be more ruthless in front of goal.

“A lot of the performances have been fine but things have gone against us, decisions have gone against us,” Moyes said at his pre-match press briefing at the Aon Training Complex on Friday.

“They haven't helped but I think we've played pretty well. We just need to be a bit more clinical in the final third and make things count more. All the things you look for in terms of stats have been pretty good but the only thing that matters is goals and we've not been scoring enough recently.”

The current run is the first time the Reds have lost three in a row since the end of the 2000/01 season, when the league title was already safely won, but Moyes is adamant that confidence within his ranks is good.

“Obviously not winning can affect your confidence, it plays a big part in football but prior to that we'd won six games in a row and we were not talking about confidence in the game after that. It can happen - you lose games in football - but we need to try to get back to winning ways and get those three points.

“I've had equally challenging times at other times in my career. It's all the same - losing games makes it difficult. Overall, there is a lot of attention but it was to be expected.”

Swansea will be without defender Dwight Tiendalli and midfielder Jonathan de Guzman, who both featured last Sunday, in addition existing injuries to several other players but despite these enforced changes to their side, Moyes knows what to expect from Saturday’s visitors.

“I think there will be a lot of similarities (to last weekend). I don't think Swansea can dramatically change too much. We know their style of play. There might be player changes but I don't think they will be a great deal different to how they played last week.”