Messi

Messi, C.Ronaldo, Xavi Finalists of FIFA Ballon d'Or award. Who should win the Award?

• Lionel Messi

Votes: 13 48.1%
  • Cristiano Ronaldo

Votes: 6 22.2%
  • Xavi

Votes: 8 29.6%

• Total voters
Barcelona Star Lionel Messi Deserves Ballon d'Or – Real Madrid’s Cristiano Ronaldo

Cristiano Ronaldo believes that Lionel Messi should win the coveted Ballon d'Or award and feels that Barcelona are still a better team than Real Madrid.

The Portuguese star was in generous mood, confessing that the Argentine achieved more than him last term and should be crowned Europe's best player.

Messi is seen as the favourite for the France Football prize, which is due to be announced in December, with Ronaldo also being mooted to retain the gong.

"He's the favourite. He won the Champions League, the Primera league title. Why not him? If he wins it, he will have deserved it," the Madrid star told France Football magazine.

Ronaldo was then asked about Barcelona and the differences between them and Madrid. He stated that, due to their unity, the Catalans are currently the stronger of the two outfits.

"Barcelona play better football [than Madrid], but why?" he continued.

"Because they have been together for several seasons, not two months. Barca are better than us today but the real question is, who will be in front at the end of the season?"

westwienmaskulin

News Team, ISP Managers Team, ISP Podcast Team
Oct 18, 2002
Av. Aristide Maillol, BCN

With fatality...new record in point difference to second placed.

http://www.francefootball.fr/FF/breves2009/20091201_015744_le-classement.html

1. Lionel Messi (Argentine, FC Barcelone) : 473 points
2. Cristiano Ronaldo (Portugal, Manchester United puis Real Madrid) : 233 pts
3. Xavi (Espagne, FC Barcelone) : 170 pts
4. Andrès Iniesta (Espagnol, FC Barcelone) : 149 pts
5. Samuel Eto'o (Cameroun, FC Barcelone puis Inter Milan) : 75 pts
6. Kaka (Brésil, Milan AC puis Real Madrid) : 58 pts
7. Zlatan Ibrahimovic (Suède, Inter Milan puis FC Barcelone) : 50 pts
8. Wayne Rooney (Angleterre, Manchester United): 35 pts
9. Didier Drogba (Côte d'Ivoire, Chelsea): 33 pts
10. Steven Gerrard (Angleterre, Liverpool) : 32 pts

http://www.francefootball.fr/FF/breves2009/20091201_020307_messi-what-a-win.html

Never in the history of France Football's Ballon d'Or a winner had been declared with such ease and authority. Never a winner had won by such a margin: Messi finishes first, 240 points ahead of the runner-up, the Portuguese Cristiano Ronaldo, winner of last year's France Football's Ballon d'Or. Messi was indeed the hot favourite this year, but the outcome of the vote will surpass even his own hopes and the most optimistic predictions. The Argentine has won emphatically, unanimously almost. The 96 jurors of France Football's Ballon d'Or have decided that Messi was clearly the best football player of the world in 2009. The FC Barcelona forward received an amazing tally of 473 points, out of a possible... 480 !

Amir

Bench Warmer
Mar 8, 2005
Stevie G 10TH??? this is bullshit.. come on, like 4 years ago he took a mediocre team all the way to lift the CL trophy!!!

Amir

Bench Warmer
Mar 8, 2005
Well deserved indeed. He's got the potential to dethrone Diego as the best footballer ever.
He definately deserves it, but to have the potential to 'dethrone' Diego is a bit too much. Theres only one Maradona, no one was better than him and no one will ever be better than him.

Amir

Bench Warmer
Mar 8, 2005
Well deserved indeed. He's got the potential to dethrone Diego as the best footballer ever.

He definately deserves it, but to have the potential to 'dethrone' Diego is a bit too much. Theres only one Maradona, no one was better than him and no one will ever be better than him.

ardy

Legionnaire
Nov 25, 2004
San Diego Armando Maradona, CA
What makes you think he can't? I don't think it's an overstatement at all.

I don't want to jinx but he is on the right track. He already has two CL under his belt, won Laliga twice, has carbon copied the best goal ever. He of course needs to win the WC and show consistency in Barca shirt. Keep in mind that he is only 22.

I just hope the kid doesn't face any long-term injuries.

Madridista

IPL Player
Sep 25, 2005
What makes you think he can't? I don't think it's an overstatement at all.

I don't want to jinx but he is on the right track. He already has two CL under his belt, won Laliga twice, has carbon copied the best goal ever. He of course needs to win the WC and show consistency in Barca shirt. Keep in mind that he is only 22.

I just hope the kid doesn't face any long-term injuries.
I love Leo Messi but he is no Maradona yet. Like you say he has the potential to get there, but Messi's greatness will be determined by his performances in the world cups and with a bit of luck; not having long term injuries.

Maradona was unique and there will never be another like him, and I believe Leo Messi is Leo Messi, his making his own name.

I wish him the best...his a real inspiration to all young people and good on him.

Last edited:
Aug 26, 2005
Well well, no one saw that coming. :D

But the rankings of the others is a bit of a joke. I love me some Kaka, but definitely not 6th last year. Ronaldo runner-up? I guess his advertising power pushed him there. Same with Zlatan.

Last edited: