Messi

Messi, C.Ronaldo, Xavi Finalists of FIFA Ballon d'Or award. Who should win the Award?

• Lionel Messi

Votes: 13 48.1%
  • Cristiano Ronaldo

Votes: 6 22.2%
  • Xavi

Votes: 8 29.6%

• Total voters

Mahdi

Elite Member
Jan 1, 1970
Mjunik
torres EC 2008 final and many more for liverpool, Ronney last year alone scored against Bayern and destroyed Milan and in many other important games against 1st class opponenets.

Messi unless a 3rd rate team can not seem to be able to pull a bollywood, his hommie Ronaldino was the same.
Rooney hasn't scored in a final though, has he? He scored against Arsenal's deplated defense, but Messi did that 4 times with 1-0 down. And Messi also scored against Bayern as far as I remember.

InDaMoneyz

IPL Player
Mar 13, 2007
Rooney hasn't scored in a final though, has he? He scored against Arsenal's deplated defense, but Messi did that 4 times with 1-0 down. And Messi also scored against Bayern as far as I remember.
Ronney has scored many many clutch goals against top sides, Messi has been scoring inconsequential bollywood goals against 3rd rated sides for years. Final or not doesn matter, it only counts how clutch you are in big games against big opponents. Messi has been a complete 0 in that regard for club or country for years

Mahdi

Elite Member
Jan 1, 1970
Mjunik
Ronney has scored many many clutch goals against top sides, Messi has been scoring inconsequential bollywood goals against 3rd rated sides for years. Final or not doesn matter, it only counts how clutch you are in big games against big opponents. Messi has been a complete 0 in that regard for club or country for years
Which goals though? Besides, Messi is still more of a playmaker than goalscorer, he just manages to score goals too lately.

Overall though, especially in CL, Messi and Rooney have scored against the same teams in similar situations.

Mahdi

Elite Member
Jan 1, 1970
Mjunik
Kholase gofte basham. This dude has 2 more World Cups left in him. Agar injoori bekhad bazi koneh mo'amelamoon nemisheh. Az ma goftan bood.

In aghaye Yousefe Guardiola ham bayad be in pesarak yad bedeh ke tooye zamin kamtar rah bereh.

there was a rumour at some point, that a lot of Argentinian coaches wanted to bring in Guardiola as national team coach from 2010 on.

Sly

Elite Member
Oct 18, 2002
Jesus, this discussion again. So Argentina's players are more talented? Yes, obviously Maxi Rodriguez is more talented than Iniesta and Xavi, Demichelis is more talented than Pique, Otamendi more talented than Alves and Higuain more talented than Ibra, Bojan, Villa, Eto'o etc.
So difficult to say you are wrong?
Tevez? You mean the guy who took Messi's goal by scoring from offside? Yeah, great tournament he had.
Eto'o is not with Barca anymore. and Ibra??? lol Dude...even Ali Daei was mor talented than him in many ways. :D That's an exaggeration ofcourse but you know what I mean.... don't fall for the media taking him over the top. I thought by now you had seen that in him.

You are bringing up one sitution about Tevez and you base his performance in the whole tournament on it? Believe me man.... I was probably the one who hated Tevez the most in this forum befor the WC. But he proved me wrong in thi tournament. You've gotta give credit when it's due. He was really awsome in the WC.

Chinaski

Elite Member
Jun 14, 2005
and Ibra??? lol Dude...even Ali Daei was mor talented than him in many ways. :D That's an exaggeration ofcourse but you know what I mean.
No to be honest i dont know what you mean. Could you elaborate a little aziz? Because i always thought Daei was the biggest antifootbalist ever playing this game. On the ground nearly on the level of a 10 years old bangladeshi kid and in the air he sometimes couldnt do anything about those goals he scored, the ball often just hit his head and not the other way around :)

Sly

Elite Member
Oct 18, 2002
No to be honest i dont know what you mean. Could you elaborate a little aziz? Because i always thought Daei was the biggest antifootbalist ever playing this game. On the ground nearly on the level of a 10 years old bangladeshi kid and in the air he sometimes couldnt do anything about those goals he scored, the ball often just hit his head and not the other way around :)
Then probably you remember Daei from the last few years of his career. You might not even seen him when he was 26. But anyways, Ali Daei was not even the point here. Never mind.

ME

Elite Member
Nov 2, 2002
Pumpido-Cuciuffo,Brown,Olarticoechea-Enrique,Batista,Ruggeri,Giusti-Maradona-Valdano,Burruchaga

3-4-1-2

was that when he missed the penalty against yugoslavia?
So. you name the players and want us to accept it was 3-4-1-2? What kind of proof is that?
What about that penalty? Everyone I know has missed a penalty here or there, you are making me rest my case if this is the best you have for answer/First you guys blame Iranians for being so obcessed about individual players and then you come and judge a player based on a missed penalty?
...good luck with your logic

Last edited:

ibrahim

Bench Warmer
Oct 20, 2002
Sydney
Aabgoosht

4 Servings

500 grams lamb or beef
1 cup of chicken peas (Nokhod)
1 cup of dried white beans
1 medium onion, chopped
2 medium potatos, peeled
2 medium tomatos
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon turmeric & black pepper

Directions:

Wash the meat and put it in a medium size pot, half filled with water, add the peas and beans, the onion, salt, turmeric and pepper and let it cook for 1-2 hours on medium-low heat.

Add the potatos and the tomatos (they get too soft too soon if you add them at the beginning), and let it cook on low heat until all the ingredients are soft.

Take the pot out, separate the juice from the ingredients and pour the ingredients in a bowl and using a potato masher (goosht-koob) or something similar, finely mash the whole mixture. Taste a small portion and add more salt/pepper if needed. When the mixture has a smooth texture, it can be served.

The juice (Aab) is also served in separate bowls. The idea is to mix it with small pieces of Iranian bread (or pita bread or any kind of Middle Eastern breads).

didnt one of you give me a warning for posting something irrelevant to the thread and you accused me of trolling?? cheers.

Oct 18, 2002
Los Angeles, CA USA
what does clutch player mean??

Clutch Play in sports refers to a competent and/or superior play during high pressure situations. Most often it is a successful action taken under high pressure during a game, usually at the end, that may result in a significant change on the game's result.

Clutch has a secondary, subliminal meaning which is "to grab" or "to grip" and therefore it can also be referred to as a time in the game when every move is critical; when a strategy taken succeeds or fails. In the mainstream, performance in important situations is often attributed to some wealth or deficit of character that causes a particular outcome.

Origin

Early use of the term occurred in baseball. David Grabiner, a Mathematics professor did the seminal work in between late 1991 and early 1992, defining clutch as performance in the late innings of close games.[1]. His article states that the correlation between past and current clutch performance is .01, with a standard deviation of .07. In other words, there isn't a significant ability in clutch hitting; if there were, the same players would be good clutch hitters every year.

In addition, a study by Ron Johnson[2],covered a 15-year period and concluded that just two players, Paul Molitor and Tony Fernandez met the statistical criteria to be considered clutch hitters. (Johnson didn't argue that the two had this trait, just that of the players in the study, they were the only two whose performance with runners in scoring positions showed a statistically significant improvement.)

The term has since been used on many occasions in other sports including but not limited to basketball, E-sports, football and hockey

Kobe Bryant, Tom Brady, Jordan Eberle, Rafael Nadal, and Mariano Rivera are modern examples of perceived clutch players. Michael Jordan is a prime example of a top clutch performer.

Mahdi

Elite Member
Jan 1, 1970
Mjunik
So. you name the players and want us to accept it was 3-4-1-2? What kind of proof is that?
LOL! Do you want me to post tele pictures from their games back then?
Bilardo "invented" 3-5-2. With Maradona in the team, it was more 3-4-1-2 but anyway.

Is that enough?
http://200.49.144.146/index.php?opt...e-1983-1990&catid=210:mens-seniors&Itemid=287

http://www.guardian.co.uk/sport/blog/2008/nov/19/argentina-napoli

Or maybe you could tell us the system Argentina played back then. For sure it wasn't 4-4-2.

What about that penalty? Everyone I know has missed a penalty here or there, you are making me rest my case if this is the best you have for answer/First you guys blame Iranians for being so obcessed about individual players and then you come and judge a player based on a missed penalty?
...good luck with your logic
Oh yeah, really? So everyone you know missed a penalty here and there? Well, everyone I know had a bad game once or twice, or didn't work that well in a national team as he usually does for his club and every succesful team I know plays these days with 3 midfielders. Besides, I hadn't heard of a player yet to win it all at the age of 23, so why should Messi be whatever now because he failed to do so? Nevermind that Maradona at his age was sent off from the world cup.
Why is your logic only applicable to whatever you want to apply it? LOL!

Last edited:

Mahdi

Elite Member
Jan 1, 1970
Mjunik
He was really awsome in the WC.
How was he awesome in this world cup? He scored 2 goals, one from offside that would have gone in anyway. Against Germany, he was running around without any plan and running into passing lanes all the time.
How was he awesome?

Now please, care to elaborate how Argentina's team is more talented than Barca's, specially given that Spain is in the semifinals with about 7-8 Barca players. LOL! :D

Last edited:
Aug 26, 2005
yes, as he has proven for england..
Well, in the past two tourneys even playing outside of his position he has been top scorer. If one player has an excuse of being wrongly used and his teammates wrongly picked, etc, it's Gerrard. They wasted him in his prime to accomodate Lampard.

But nobody is a bigger clutch player IMO. Scored in every kind of fuckin' final. And the Istanbul and Cardiff performances will be stuff of legend. Only modern player you can say carried his team to successes.