Messi

Messi, C.Ronaldo, Xavi Finalists of FIFA Ballon d'Or award. Who should win the Award?

• Lionel Messi

Votes: 13 48.1%
  • Cristiano Ronaldo

Votes: 6 22.2%
  • Xavi

Votes: 8 29.6%

• Total voters

mashdi

Football Legend
Sep 29, 2005
bah bah bah.Fariborz az safare Ghandehar bargashteh.:)

It was always crystal clear to me that it only takes a Messi for Real Madrid to make a comeback.:)

Messi plays down 'world's best' tag

Messi, 24, is favourite to win the 2011 FIFA Ballon d'Or and could become the second player in history to win a consecutive treble after Michel Platini, should he claim the accolade again.

The Argentine international has been compared to legends Pele and Diego Maradona, with many suggesting that he has already surpassed the achievements of the former greats. However, Messi himself is staying grounded over the debate.

"I am not interested in such comparisons and don't play to be the best in the world. I am playing for the good of the team and want to win trophies", he told France Football.

"When I hang up my boots, I want to be remembered as a good player, but I don't care whether I'm the best. I want to be remembered for the titles I won, both with the team and individual trophies."

Pele recently promised to send highlights of his career to Messi after the Barcelona star admitted he had never watched him play.

"I would love to see Pele in action, but he still hasn't sent me the DVD of his goals,'' Messi added. ''Everyone says he was an extraordinary player, but I can't form an opinion without having seen him play.''

Last edited:

mashdi

Football Legend
Sep 29, 2005
Fariborz , kheyil nagholayee.you make a grand re-entrance at ISP with yet another " It's all about Messi " thread.:)

Barca fans , beware.this is a trap.:)

Pooya

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 23, 2004
Vancouver, Canada
www.IranSportsPress.com
Ever since Barcelona and Pep Guardiola invented football in 2009, the praise has come full and fast, a blue and purple tsunami of love for unparalleled genius.

And it's fair enough. Xavi is the best midfielder of his day, Andres Iniesta the most elegant, able to pass, trick and score with effortless beauty. The most extensive gush is reserved for Lionel Messi. A genius, apparently, but is he actually any good?

People constantly praise the ability he has in that special left foot. Yeah, that special left foot, but not both his feet. The man is half a genius. He plays with his left foot wherever possible because he is a coward. If he were a true genius he would be able to pass as well, shoot as well, or feint as well with his right foot as he could his left. His cowardice prevents him from using his right and embracing his weaknesses. Look at a true great: Michael Owen. Say what you want about him, but he's never been afraid to shank a weak shot ten yards wide with his left foot.

Latterday received wisdom is that Messi's only real competitor for the title of the greatest player ever is his Argentine counterpart, Diego Maradona. Tish and fipsy, Maradona is streets ahead, both on and off the pitch, the combination sealing his superiority by a clear distance. Maradona dragged an average Napoli side to a legendary title win, their first, second and only Scudetti. Napoli were not a bad side by any stretch of the imagination, but they were no Barcelona. Without Messi, Barcelona have Pedro, Villa, Busquets, Mascherano, Xavi, Iniesta and Pique to get by on. They'd in all likelihood still win the league or run Real Madrid close. It wouldn't be far fetched to say that without Messi, Barcelona would still have the strongest squad in the world.

Not Maradona, though. Take Maradona out of the Napoli side and there would be no chance for that team to win the league. That's why Maradona shows up Lionel Messi as a footballing charlatan.

But that's not the end of it. Maradona is reported to have spent much of his time at Napoli abusing cocaine. Now, if Maradona could play so exceptionally, defining a decade, all while suffering the side effects of drug abuse, then surely without the handicap he would have been even better.

The trouble didn't end there. He allegedly cultivated a close relationship with the Neapolitan mafia, he missed so much training he was fined $70,000 - in those days, that's not far off the scale of fine handed to Carlos Tevez. He even fathered an illegitimate son. Did that stop him? No. Napoli's championships bookended two runners up placings, a UEFA Cup and a season as top scorer. He even found time to vaccinate Milan with a twenty-five yard header. He was always able to treat his personal affairs as nothing but background music. Clean-living Messi, on the other hand, is at his peak, totally focused on football.

Maradona's most telling showing up of the Messi praise is his performance in international games. In 1986, Maradona scored five goals, made five assists while captaining his side to a World Cup.

How did Lionel Messi get on in 1986? He didn't even play. But when he did play, in 2010, Argentina were a shambles. Granted, their preparations had included calling up 36-year-old Martin Palermo. They were managed by a loose cannon on an extended comedown (Maradona again), but they still had Tevez, Aguero, Demichelis and the mighty Jonas Gutierrez at right-back, and got nowhere. The blame must lie solely with Lionel Messi. He's just not good enough to inspire.

Lionel Messi: is he that good? Just look at his scoring records. Last season he scored 53 goals in 55 appearances. Undeniably impressive but understandable given the hard yards he makes everyone run for him at Barcelona. This year, he's scored 26 goals in just 22 games. I know what you're thinking, it's an improvement. But wait a moment, isn't this instructive of his massive selfishness? The traits of egotism reflected in the fact that only he believes he is worthy of scoring?

In the past, Samuel Eto'o and Ronaldinho have been cast out for their problems with authority, but Lionel Messi has risen above that. He has decided that he is Barcelona's authority. Surely the team can't stay together at this rate, and it will be Messi to blame.

Egotistical, one-footed and definitely not as talented as Maradona. Those self-important bloggers have got this one wrong. Lastly, how many good corners can you remember Messi taking? Exactly.

Also, he's no use in a wall.

By Alexander Netherton

R.BAGGIO

National Team Player
Oct 19, 2002
Toronto
ok ...

Maradona was just as one-footed, the guy brings it up when both players are one-footed, just talking nonsense

Michael Owen? get real

this guy should go have a beer with indamonkeyz

Last edited:

Mahdi

Elite Member
Jan 1, 1970
Mjunik
the article was brilliant...loved the fact that Messi is not good in a wall..

(btw. just in case, he is being sarcastic if you don't get it..)

Niloufar

Football Legend
Oct 19, 2002
Who do you think will take the trophy?! I think either one really deserve it, but Xavi in particular bc all these years despite being on top of the form,have been overshadowed by others.
who do you think will win the award this year?

Goal-

FIFA Secretary General Jerome Valcke and France Football director Francois Moriniere have announced the final three candidates for the 2011 Fifa Ballon d'Or.

Title holder and Barcelona star Lionel Messi is one of the remaining three players still in the race to win the trophy. The Argentina international previously won the prestigious individual award in 2009 and 2010, and can become the first player since Michel Platini to win the accolade three times in a row.

Real Madrid attacker Cristiano Ronaldo, who won the Ballon d'Or in 2008, is also still in the race to win the trophy for a second time in his career.

The third remaining candidate is Spain international and Barcelona midfielder Xavi, who finished third in both 2009 and 2010.

Messi is also one of the three nominees to win the Puskas Award for Goal of the Year for his strike in the Champions League against Arsenal, while Manchester United's Wayne Rooney (winning goal against Manchester City) and Santos forward Neymar (goal against Flamengo) have also been nominated.

The three candidates for the title of Coach of the Year were also announced at the gathering at France Football's headquarters, with Barcelona's Pep Guardiola, Manchester United's Sir Alex Ferguson and Real Madrid's Jose Mourinho making the final three.

In the women's section, reigning Ballon d'Or winner and Brazil star Marta, Japan's Homare Sawa and USA veteran Abby Wambach are in contention for the title of Female Player of the Year, while Bruno Bini (France), Norio Sasaki (Japan) and Pia Sundhage (USA) are the candidates for the Coach of the Year title.