MLB - Major League Baseball

Chinaski

Elite Member
Jun 14, 2005
I drafted him too and i also hope he pans out. Where do you play? I play on Yahoo and that for years. To be acurate this is my 5th consecutive year of fantasy baseball. Do you mind posting your team here?

Oct 1, 2004
One of the most tragic stories is the development of Brandon Morrow... tons of talent but cant stay healthy the poor guy. He had such a great ability to miss bats...
Morrow still might be able to be great, at least for a few seasons. If they Jays don't injure him again.
Speaking of injuries, McGowan is also back.

Chinaski

Elite Member
Jun 14, 2005
I dont believe in Morrow to be able to reach his full potential ever. This is bad luck, destiny or whatever but the guy god mishandled by the Mariners from get go and he was not very robust and durable in the first place. He has had too many injuries to be able to reach his potential. I followed him this spring and his just a shadow of his real self. He is hesitant, his once dominating fastball has disaperaed and he is now very hittable. His spring games ERA is really dismal and sub par. He was a strike out pitcher and when powerfull strikeout pitcher, for whatever reason lose that power and thus stop missing bats, then they are almost always done. Morrow is striking out two batter per 9 inning less than in his good days and two batters less in 9 innings is a huge loss.

masoudA

Legionnaire
Oct 16, 2008
China - I hope Mat Moore reaches his potential this year - I have him too. We both seem to be loaded on batting and not so great on pitching.
Here is my team:

Fantasy.gif

Chinaski

Elite Member
Jun 14, 2005
you really suck on pitching mass. I mean i am a runner up in my league and 2012 i won a pretty competitive 12 team payed league inwhich we played to win money. Your hitting is balanced however your team aswell as mine is light on speed that means we are not gonna win the stolen bases title lool. Its not a bad thing though, i rather have a power lineup that provided Home runs, runs and rbis instead of a light line up where you may get something in AVG. and stolen bases. My pitching is not bad at all mass, you will see, i love pitching and i think i am quite an expert in evaluating pitching talent. Moore is actually the weakpoint of my staff! I would much rather have James Shields or Homer Bailey but they were gone and so i had to take a risk with Moore. He is talented but pitching is not all talent. He has a huge disadvantage and its his walk rate which he has not shown to be able to reduce in the last 2 years. Thats alarming. That will kill your WHIP and essentially your ERA too. Walks are never good. you better get hit then to walk people.

masoudA

Legionnaire
Oct 16, 2008
boro binim - I won my league 2 years ago and finished 2nd last year - also a paid league. This year we switched to a different format - it is called "head to head" - you play one team each week and in this format SB and speed is of marginal value. You are however correct about my pitching......I need serious help - got my eye on a couple of new comers, like David Hale of Atlanta. We justr drafted a couple of nights ago - I will certainly get rid of Arroyo and Hudson (you can't see them they are on my reserves list). You do seem to know your players....so keep giving me names of new pitching talents as you see them.

Chinaski

Elite Member
Jun 14, 2005
hehe...kheyli baa mazei..so you switched to head to head? loooool look at post Nr. 22. Do you know what H2H means? Exactly: Head to head. I am playing this format for 5 years now mass :)

Now tell me how many teams do play in your league? 8 or 12 or even more? I am asking because this way i can imagine who is still in your free agency pool and can give you some advice on who to target. Well, the young up and comming pitchers are Sonny Gray, Danny Salazar, Julio Teheran, Michael Wacha, Shelby Miller, Alex Cobb, and maybe Chris Archer. You can lose Arroyo and Hudson on the spot for any of those guys i have mentioned here i am just not sure if those guys are still out there to grab. Yordano Ventura won a starting job in KC so he is a talented young pitcher too but he lacks track record in the majors but i would still take him over arroyo or hudson any day. Another great talent is Michael Pineda of the Yankees but he had a major shoulder surgery and just won the fifth spot in Yankees rotation. He is an elite talent who came to NY from Seattle for Jesus Montero but as i said, he is coming off a major surgery so durability will be a concern. The Yanks could put him on inning limit to protect his surgically repaired shoulder

masoudA

Legionnaire
Oct 16, 2008
we have 10 teams......but unlike your league in h2h format we only have 9 batters.....no CI or MI and only one utility. All the young talent you mentioned are long gone....and with the exception of archer I like the rest. I try to take pitchers from NL and certainly those who pitch in SD, SF, SL or other places favorable to pitchers......so I would be hard pressed to take a Yankee pitcher.

Chinaski

Elite Member
Jun 14, 2005
Take a look at Porcello (DET), Cashner and Ross both San Diego. Great ballparks and alot of talent.
One of my favourites who can be had across the board is Corey Kluber (Cleveland).

Shahin2000

Bench Warmer
Oct 19, 2002
I am a huge Giants fan since coming to the States back in '87. My interest grew during the '89 earthquake series. I also umpired baseball in my city for 10 years. I love the game and can sit and watch it for hours. If you ever get a chance, go to a game... there is nothing like hearing the ball pounding the catcher's mint. You can tell who brings the heat and who locates his pitches. As for the Braves, they were by far the most dominating team of the 90's. To win as many pennants as they did with the low payroll compared to the other teams in the league was unbelievable. I do have a painful memory from the Braves, when they caught my Giants to win the pennant back in '93. Giants won 103 games and still did not make the playoffs.

Anyways, I hope Lincecum is back to his CY Young form this year and maybe we can win our 3rd WS since moving to SF.

masoudA

Legionnaire
Oct 16, 2008
Baseball is a great game especially if you are a fan of a certain team - I used to be a big pirates fan - single handedly took them to the 1978 World Series an won it!! lol
But with this fantasy baseball thing - the whole view of the game changes. We no longer follow teams, just players. Most of the times we don't even know which teams are leading their divisions, but know immediately when a player comes off DL. For me fantasy is more fun.........but my 1978 World Series win with the Pirates was the most fun I have had with the game.

Shahin2000

Bench Warmer
Oct 19, 2002
Baseball is a great game especially if you are a fan of a certain team - I used to be a big pirates fan - single handedly took them to the 1978 World Series an won it!! lol
But with this fantasy baseball thing - the whole view of the game changes. We no longer follow teams, just players. Most of the times we don't even know which teams are leading their divisions, but know immediately when a player comes off DL. For me fantasy is more fun.........but my 1978 World Series win with the Pirates was the most fun I have had with the game.
Masoud jaan the Pirates won it in '79 not '78... just a minor correction:) Pittsburgh is the true symbol of blue collar team for a blue collar city.

masoudA

Legionnaire
Oct 16, 2008
Masoud jaan the Pirates won it in '79 not '78... just a minor correction:) Pittsburgh is the true symbol of blue collar team for a blue collar city.
I hate you guys....keep correcting my numbers.....lol anyways.....it was the "we are fa me le" era.........Stargel, parker, candi man, moreno, robinson,.......it was great......we were down to Baltimore 3-1 and came back and won it........now go research and find my mistakes......j/k

Shahin2000

Bench Warmer
Oct 19, 2002
I hate you guys....keep correcting my numbers.....lol anyways.....it was the "we are fa me le" era.........Stargel, parker, candi man, moreno, robinson,.......it was great......we were down to Baltimore 3-1 and came back and won it........now go research and find my mistakes......j/k
Masoud jaan, I did check it and you are good to go. Pirates were indeed down 3-1 to O's and came back and won the series. No mistakes there:) Do you live in Pittsburgh? How did you become their fan?

Silverton

National Team Player
Nov 6, 2004
Miguel Cabrera got basically a 10 year, 300 million dollar contract.

My Blue Jays are not expected to do much this year (unlike last year, huge expectations, crappy results). X Factor is Brandon Morrow - he's a huge talent with incredible stuff. But he just can't seem to stay healthy :( Dickey's been a letdown. Knuckleballers can either be unhitable or over-hitable - we need a strong arm in there - Josh Johnson was horrible for us and he's no longer there. Romero hasn't been the same for years. Baseball is all about pitching, and we just don't have the arms. Our offense is pretty good if Reyes and the boys can stay healthy - Encarnacion and Bautista should give us the 1-2 punch we need, but we need more base-runnes and situational hitting. The bottom of the order is not overly impressive, although Rasmus can make the difference if he keeps form from late last year.

Baseball is interesting in the sense that no sport is as stats-dominated and detailed. They have a stat for pretty much all facets of the game

Last edited:

masoudA

Legionnaire
Oct 16, 2008
Masoud jaan, I did check it and you are good to go. Pirates were indeed down 3-1 to O's and came back and won the series. No mistakes there:) Do you live in Pittsburgh? How did you become their fan?
Yep I went to school at WVU - about 50 miles south of Pittsburgh.....then again it could have been 70 miles!!! lol

masoudA

Legionnaire
Oct 16, 2008
Here China - my latest roster.....
I only have a few pitchers left from my original draft......
I am dropping Leake who pitches today and adding Skaggs who goes at home Sunday.

Attachments