Mr. Branko, I supported you all along, now you have to produce.

backechap

Nov 22, 2002
Mr. Branko,

As you know, if you have been following this very important Forum, I along with a few of my friends have supported you all along. We have been in the minority, but we have stuck our necks out for you and your coaching abilities.

However, we want to make one thing clear to you: NOW WE EXPECT RESULTS. In plain language:

1) We DO NOT want respectful results, if it means we lose
2) We DO NOT want defensive style, if it means we lose
3) We DO NOT want offensive style, if it means we lose
4) We DO NOT want our normal formation, if it means we lose
5) We DO NOT want experimental formation, if it means we lose
6) We want to play in such a way that we QUALIFY for the 2nd round

In other words, we supported your decisions based on the theory that you know football better than any of us. So now prove it. Prove us right by getting POINTS. Prove us right by qualifying us to the 2nd round. We expect it from you and IRAN and nothing else.

PROVE US RIGHT. QUALIFY US TO THE 2nd ROUND.

shahinc

Legionnaire
May 8, 2005
backechap said:
Great post

True, We have been to WC and we have won a game and got some respectable result. Give us something that we never had.

Foo

Elite Member
Feb 12, 2006
Den Haag, Holland
yup, the talent is there, the motivation is there, the rest now is up to Branko. Make a good team, Branko, of players who can play to the most of their ability, and I'll be having a very good birthday on the 22nd of June, the day after Iran qualifies for the 2nd round :bday:

Mar 2, 2003
Given the experience, talent and potential that exists in Iranian football generally, I believe the following:

That the reasonable expectation from Branko would be to lead our team to earn at least 4 points, without suffering any lopsided or embarrassing defeats.

That the reasonable hope of our fans should be that Branko could lead the team to the round of 16.

That a dream World Cup for Iran would see us make the quarterfinal stage.

That anything better would be fantastic but not impossible.

That is how I will judge Branko in terms of results.

Sly

Elite Member
Oct 18, 2002
Well, qualifying to the second round is good. As you know, I've also been supporting Branko 100%!

But I would even accept a failure of qualification to the second round, as long as we play a beautiful attacking football which makes other people to remember us as fun team to watch! So either this or qualification to the second round and I'll accept you as one of our best coaches ever.

Jan 23, 2003
Good post Backechap jaan,

Branko has dug himself into a little bit of a hole over the past 18 months. He continuously ignored the weaknesses (eg GK and left defence, etc...) that now if any of these area fail he must shoulder the blame even if there were no better choices.

If Mirzapour messes up, Branco must take the blame as other keepers were never given the chance. Maybe Talebloo would be worse but since Branko's attitude was not to give anyone a chance, we would never have known!!

The exact same can be said of Zareh/Nosrati in regards to left defence. They better deliver.

May 16, 2006
(Hi, new member in the Forum)

In all fairness, there are defintely two teams that are stronger, proven, and much more consistent in performance and also their record than Iran. Of course, one never knows until Iran faces them (the old saying: toop gerde, meaning anything can happen in a game, not always, but once in awhile).
I just hope we have a good showing and performance (and if we make it to the next round, that's fantastic).

I sincerely question having two nok-e hamle-e of the same characterisitcs in any game. One about 31 years old and not as great as he was some years ago, and one (though a national champion, and I respect), past his prime, and very slow. Hopefully Brankovich will make changes and will not have both up front. Hopefully, depending what's going on the the specific game, Daie will only play (if needed, depending on the game situation and Hashemian's performance) from minute 60 or 65 only, giving his 100% for that 30 minutes, and not pace himself for the entire 90, at the expense of the team.

xoraster

IPL Player
Oct 21, 2002
Abedzaadeh said:
Good posts Backechap jaan,

Branko has dug himself into a little bit of a hole over the past 18 months. He continuously ignored the weaknesses (eg GK and left defence, etc...) that now if any of these area fail he must shoulder the blame even if there were no better choices.

If Mirzapour messes up, Branco must take the blame as other keepers were never given the chance. Maybe Talebloo would be worse but since Branko's attitude was not to give anyone a chance, we would never have known!!

The exact same can be said of Zareh/Nosrati in regards to left defence. They better deliver.
What other goalkeepers? Have you seen our league? Taleblou has been OK but this time last year, no one knew who he was. Have you sen Mohamadi of perspolis, this is the guy everyone wanted to have in goal last year, where is he now.
Before him it was Rahmati, that guy cannot catch the flu in the hospital, forget about catching a cross.
Somethings you just cant blame a national team coach for, lack of goalies in Iran is one of them. Also, regarding Taleblou, this guy is small enough to be an ice dancer, how is he going to stand in front of Borgeti, Pauleta and co/

Jan 23, 2003
xoraster said:
What other goalkeepers? Have you seen our league? Taleblou has been OK but this time last year, no one knew who he was. Have you sen Mohamadi of perspolis, this is the guy everyone wanted to have in goal last year, where is he now.
Before him it was Rahmati, that guy cannot catch the flu in the hospital, forget about catching a cross.
Somethings you just cant blame a national team coach for, lack of goalies in Iran is one of them. Also, regarding Taleblou, this guy is small enough to be an ice dancer, how is he going to stand in front of Borgeti, Pauleta and co/
LOL about Rahmati and flu.

He couldve played Taleblou in the Costa Rica game. Although he wasnt as highly rated in August 2005, the match in Tokyo was the perfect stage for someone to get experience. A big atmosphere with the result not being important. How about the QPR match?

xoraster

IPL Player
Oct 21, 2002
Abedzaadeh said:
LOL about Rahmati and flu.

He couldve played Taleblou in the Costa Rica game. Although he wasnt as highly rated in August 2005, the match in Tokyo was the perfect stage for someone to get experience. A big atmosphere with the result not being important. How about the QPR match?
I do agree but still, we dont have any goalies. We all watch IPl, not for the fun of it but rather to search for new talents. Maybe Taleblou should have played some of these games and he might do it in our up and coming friendles but believe me, if there was a new Abedzadeh or even Tabatabaie in our league, I am sure that he would get picked up.
The sad part is that according to Simoes, we dont even have any good goalies in our youth teams. This problem will continue after Branko as well, I doubt that Taleblou, with his size can ever become an International goal keeper. Now the new coach can go and try 11 new goal keepers but the truth is, right now, the talent is just not there.

Jan 23, 2003
I agree with you. I hope Taleblou proves to be a good keeper. His size is small but Cassillas and Given are also relatively small keepers. Mexico also had a small keeper years ago.

May 16, 2006
(On my previous comment here) On two physically-oriented power forwards (do-taa nok-e haml-e), some teams have two, however those teams have mid-fielders that comforatably cover the field both in offense and defense (like Chelsea and Manchester United). Iran does not have that charachter at present and that is why having two forwards like Daei and Hashemian in the field at the same time, is not good for Iran. One example out of the many (on the new Mohajerani, folks who knew what was going on before, and during the 1978 WC, know what I'm talking about).

Foo

Elite Member
Feb 12, 2006
Den Haag, Holland
Iran has always had good goalies, except now..we can complain all we want about Mirzapour but there simply isn't anything better. Besides, Mirzapour has only been this bad for the last few months..it's like he's been scared of going into challenges etc. lately..scared of getting an injury or something :S I just hope he'll regain his confidence in the World Cup

alborz

Bench Warmer
Oct 18, 2002
backechap said:
Mr. Branko,

As you know, if you have been following this very important Forum, I along with a few of my friends have supported you all along. We have been in the minority, but we have stuck our necks out for you and your coaching abilities.

However, we want to make one thing clear to you: NOW WE EXPECT RESULTS. In plain language:

1) We DO NOT want respectful results, if it means we lose
2) We DO NOT want defensive style, if it means we lose
3) We DO NOT want offensive style, if it means we lose
4) We DO NOT want our normal formation, if it means we lose
5) We DO NOT want experimental formation, if it means we lose

In other words, we supported your decisions based on the theory that you know football better than any of us. So now prove it. Prove us right by getting POINTS. Prove us right by qualifying us to the 2nd round. We expect it from you and IRAN and nothing else.

PROVE US RIGHT. QUALIFY US TO THE 2nd ROUND.
Amen.

I was not supporting him before and I don't think he contributed much to Iran's game in the last couple of years. However, that is all past and now I expect nothing but to qualify for the next round. So, he will either be a hero or a looser who was just there for the ride, no middle ground. For Iran's sake I hope he proves me wrong and become the biggest hero we've had in our recent sporting history.

Go Branko, Go Iran.

backechap

Nov 22, 2002
alborz said:
Amen.

I was not supporting him before and I don't think he contributed much to Iran's game in the last couple of years. However, that is all past and now I expect nothing but to qualify for the next round. So, he will either be a hero or a looser who was just there for the ride, no middle ground. For Iran's sake I hope he proves me wrong and become the biggest hero we've had in our recent sporting history.

Go Branko, Go Iran.
Glad you're with us on this, we are all supporting TM, but at the same time, we have higher expectations than the past.

We went to our first WC in the 70s. Back then, we just wanted rescpectful results, and by and large got what we wanted, by getting one point and not losing by a bad margin to Holland.

Next we made it to the WC in 98. That time, we wanted to get at least 3 points, and again not lose badly in any of our games. Once again, we got what we asked for.

But now it must be different. We have already achieved "respectful results" and "don't lose badly!" I read these comments about being happy to come out with decent results, or getting 3 or 4 points, etc. NO! Come on guys, RAISE THE BAR! It is time to expect more from our team. We want to qualify to the 2nd round. If 4 points qualify us, then fine, otherwise it ain't good enough. Make it to 2nd round! That is our aim, nothing less. I can gaurantee you one thing, you never, EVER, do better than you aim for in the WC. Of course, just aiming for something doesn't mean that you're going to get to it, but it is a neccessary requirement.

So Mr. Branko, aim for the 2nd round. Don't think we'll tell you "good job, better luck next time" if you get us 3 or 4 points and not make it to the 2nd round. Go for it, play the way required to win!

GO IRAN!

Aug 26, 2005
Branko has to raise the bar, and balance a good team. He picked the right players, and he picked the kind of squad which shows he's grown some balls. Advancing is very likely.

Sly

Elite Member
Oct 18, 2002
Kaz said:
and he picked the kind of squad which shows he's grown some balls. Advancing is very likely.
The difference in Branko's selection from before is only for you to be happy and not criticizing him. But he will surely use the very same line up as he's always have and as he would, even if he had invited all the same players from before! (meaning nothing much will be changed since before, other than the faces on the bench). But now he's suddenly grown balls and you go even as far as saying advancing is very likely? Ok. :)

I guess as long as following where the wind (majority) blows, everything is good! :)

Aug 26, 2005
Sly said:
The difference in Branko's selection from before is only for you to be happy and not criticizing him. But he will surely use the very same line up as he's always have and as he would, even if he had invited all the same players from before! (meaning nothing much will be changed since before, other than the faces on the bench). But now he's suddenly grown balls and advancing is very likely? Ok. :)

I guess as long as following where the wind (majority) blows, everything is good! :)
Something you should know about me...I swim upstream.

[SIZE=-1]Whenever people agree with me I always feel I must be wrong - Oscar Wilde

He's picked 5 strikers, I don't know about you and all the pressing you've been doing about people being positive...but I think that's a good indication. If he's just pleasing people and playing his usual way, people are going to criticise him anyway. What's he trying to delay?

Do I think this is the BEST squad? No, but it could become a good team if organised properly. In the context of what is being discussed and what I think/hope he has come to realise...I'm hoping all will go well. Before he named this squad, I would have been less inclined to think so. But just like many, I'm hoping he actually plays our stronger players and raises the bar (that he's set so low for our TM) and if he does that...yes, Advancing is likely.
[/SIZE]

Sly

Elite Member
Oct 18, 2002
May I ask after this selection, exactly what changes in his line up are you realistically hoping for which would make you think advancing would be very likely?