Mr. Branko, I supported you all along, now you have to produce.

Aug 26, 2005
Sly said:
May I ask after this selection, exactly what changes in his line up, are you realistically hoping for which would make you think advancing would be very likely?
Sadeghi for Zare. Depending on their shape, Bakhtiarzadeh to play beside Nekounam. Zandi/Madanchi on the wing, depending if he wants to play overly offensive, or contain. He could even play 3-4-3 or 4-3-3. Whatever he may choose, his selection and the proportion of attacking players is more...so that suggests positive football. I think if he picks the right players, let's Iran actually play her game, advancing is likely. If he doesn't do that, then no. I don't think we will advance.

Sly

Elite Member
Oct 18, 2002
Kaz said:
Sadeghi for Zare. Depending on their shape, Bakhtiarzadeh to play beside Nekounam. Zandi/Madanchi on the wing, depending if he wants to play overly offensive, or contain. He could even play 3-4-3 or 4-3-3. Whatever he may choose, his selection and the proportion of attacking players is more...so that suggests positive football. I think if he picks the right players, let's Iran actually play her game, advancing is likely. If he doesn't do that, then no. I don't think we will advance.
I just typed a long a$$ reply and when I clicked submit, the window crashed and it all disappeared. :mad: Ok let me try to summerize everything I wrote again. :rolleyes:

If he really uses 3 strikers upfront, I would really come out and say he's the bravest coach Iran has ever had. Surely his selection of so many strikers and so many attacking midfielders indicates an attacking football! But do you really think after years of playing with 4-2-3-1 and 4-4-2 formations, he will suddenly change to such an attacking formation in the WC against Portugal and Mexico?

Don't get me wrong, I love attacking football and I even rather see us playing a beautiful attacking football and lose than playing anti-football and win. and if we are going to play with the usual formations (4-2-3-1 or 4-4-2) I still rather see us to play an attacking football. But again if he really does what you say (playing with 3 strikers), a big thump up to him. But I don't think he will! (although playing with 3 strikers doesn't increase our chances of advancing as you put it either!)

Also about Sadeghi in the left back position.... I think Branko has really done a good job to calm down his critics (so he and the players can focus in peace before the WC) cause I just can't see it happen. That goes to Bakhtiarizadeh beside Nekounam as well (unless just as subs in the second half). But we'll see....

Mar 2, 2003
Sly said:
May I ask after this selection, exactly what changes in his line up are you realistically hoping for which would make you think advancing would be very likely?
There are a lot of players that have been neglected by Branko. Players who should have been invested on instead. Overlooked veterans like Bagheri clearly, as well as Navazi and Samereh. And younger players who weren't treated properly, such as Mobali and Oladi or even Mohammadi (GK). It is too late to make dramatic changes, but in theory, these and many others like them were always much better choices to work with than many of the subpar players Branko used to repeatedly invite (e.g., Rahmati, Badavi, Kameli, Badavi, Amirabadi, Alavi, Seyed Abbasi, etc).

At this juncture, the player Iran will miss the most in the World Cup will be Bagheri. And Nikbakht. (I would still include him despite his injury, crossing him out later before the World Cup if he had not recovered). I would probably want Manie in there in Nikbakht's absence especially.

BTW, if Branko was determined to use a 4 back formation, he should have done better in grooming a decent left fullback. Indeed, Nikbakht might have been groomed for that position given the absence of any quality players for that post. Branko instead fiddled around and did very little to seriously remedy the problems on his squad. Similarly, we should not have gone 4 years under Branko with a glaring weakness that can easily be detected, namely the lack of a top quality distributor especially without having to force Karimi back a line to compensate for that glaring weakness. Certainly not when a player like Bagheri had shown he was again ready to play.

Good luck to TM. Even with the neglect and mistakes, having players like Karimi, Mahdavikia, and some others, Iran is not hopeless. We still can turn heads if our stars are clicking.

Sly

Elite Member
Oct 18, 2002
Simply Ken said:
There are a lot of players that have been neglected by Branko. Players who should have been invested on instead. Overlooked veterans like Bagheri clearly, as well as Navazi and Samereh. And younger players who weren't treated properly, such as Mobali and Oladi or even Mohammadi (GK). It is too late to make dramatic changes, but in theory, these and many others like them were always much better choices to work with than many of the subpar players Branko used to repeatedly invite (e.g., Rahmati, Badavi, Kameli, Badavi, Amirabadi, Alavi, Seyed Abbasi, etc).

At this juncture, the player Iran will miss the most in the World Cup will be Bagheri. And Nikbakht. (I would still include him despite his injury, crossing him out later before the World Cup if he had not recovered). I would probably want Manie in there in Nikbakht's absence especially.

BTW, if Branko was determined to use a 4 back formation, he should have done better in grooming a decent left fullback. Indeed, Nikbakht might have been groomed for that position given the absence of any quality players for that post. Branko instead fiddled around and did very little to seriously remedy the problems on his squad. Similarly, we should not have gone 4 years under Branko with a glaring weakness that can easily be detected, namely the lack of a top quality distributor especially without having to force Karimi back a line to compensate for that glaring weakness. Certainly not when a player like Bagheri had shown he was again ready to play.

Good luck to TM. Even with the neglect and mistakes, having players like Karimi, Mahdavikia, and some others, Iran is not hopeless. We still can turn heads if our stars are clicking.
Surely I think we have a chance of advancing too! But not because of the new invited players! I think we have fantastic players who can and hopefully will raise their games to the max in the WC. I slo still think Branko isn't as a bad coach as many people indicated here. But our main players are the very same players that Branko has always used and I doubt any other player than Nosrati or Zare will start in the left back position. Also I think our formation will not change from what it was before despite inviting so many attacking players (I hope it will change cause otherwise I will really get mad at Branko. Because I also really wanted both Nikbakht and even Navidkia in the squad! Branko would have usually invited those midfielders but instead of them and even Moba'li, he went for strikers. So changing the formation would show me that he didn't choose those attacking players just to calm down his critics and it was for footballing reasons).

Anyways...good luck to TM!

Aug 26, 2005
Sly jaan, my point ISN'T what he will or won't use. What I said is that IF he uses what I said above, then yes I believe the squad will go through. IF he doesn't and if he plays negatively, then NO, I do not see the team going through. However, I do take with the fact that his squad make-up has changed, and that gives some hope.

Sly

Elite Member
Oct 18, 2002
Kaz said:
Sly jaan, my point ISN'T what he will or won't use. What I said is that IF he uses what I said above, then yes I believe the squad will go through. IF he doesn't and if he plays negatively, then NO, I do not see the team going through. However, I do take with the fact that his squad make-up has changed, and that gives some hope.
Ok, so you're basically saying if he keeps playing with the usual 4-2-3-1 or 4-4-2, with the same players as usual, you don't see the team going through. (even if he plays an attacking football with those formations and players? Cause we have played beautiful and attacking football with those formations and the usual players before. e.g. against Germany).

but instead you mean if we play with 3 strikers and the players you mentioned (Sadeghi, Bakhtiarizadeh), then we have a good chance to go through, right?

Then if I have understood you correctly, can I ask you why you think we don't have a chance of going through with 2 strikers but with more players in the defense/midfield, while we have a good chance with 3 strikers but with fewer players in our defence/midfield, when we have problems in our defense and in our goal (specially against teams like Portugal and Mexico)??

Jan 23, 2003
Sly said:
Ok, so you're basically saying if he keeps playing with the usual 4-2-3-1 or 4-4-2, with the same players as usual, you don't see the team going through. (even if he plays an attacking football with those formations and players? Cause we have played beautiful and attacking football with those formations and the usual players before. e.g. against Germany).
This is getting technical now but I think Branko's current formation is neither capable of playing good football nor advancing to the second round. It will manage a maximum of one point and will exit the world cup with very little friends. The reasons:

1. Left side: It is crippled and slow. Starting from the defence (which is weak) and every time Zareh or Nosrati go forward they are clueless. Then further forward either Zandi is there who is extremely slow (and IMO over-rated) or Hashemian who doesnt look a natural there.

2. Our attack. No need to go into details of the Daei/VH partnership. IMO it doesnt work (especially when there is no natural left winger and VH has to go to the left)

Sly jan the reason TM played good football v Germany was because Daei was not there, the players were in their natural positions when attacking.

Foo

Elite Member
Feb 12, 2006
Den Haag, Holland
Abedzaadeh said:
This is getting technical now but I think Branko's current formation is neither capable of playing good football nor advancing to the second round. It will manage a maximum of one point and will exit the world cup with very little friends.
and there i was trying to defend Iran against Dutch people who thought exactly the same--> 0, mayb 1 point for Iran ;)
i don't agree with u at all, i just said in another topic that Iran is capable of getting to the 2nd round and i have faith that they'll get there. I won't start discussing it anymore, ive done so in so many other topics and i'll just end up repeating myself.

Aug 26, 2005
Sly said:
Yes. Same players, same tactics, I do not believe will help us. BTW, we lost to Germany 3-0

Sly said:
but instead you mean if we play with 3 strikers and the players you mentioned (Sadeghi, Bakhtiarizadeh), then we have a good chance to go through, right?

Then if I have understood you correctly, can I ask you why you think we don't have a chance of going through with 2 strikers but with more players in the defense/midfield, while we have a good chance with 3 strikers but with fewer players in our defence/midfield, when we have problems in our defense and in our goal (specially against teams like Portugal and Mexico)??
For the same reason Barca had the best defense in La Liga.

If we're playing positive football, combined with the right players and formation, we can surely go through. I'm not restricting it to formation. Hell ok, 4-4-2, but it depends who he picks to play and what the approach is. The current one is poor.

ferdosi

Bench Warmer
Apr 21, 2004
backechap said:
Mr. Branko,

As you know, if you have been following this very important Forum, I along with a few of my friends have supported you all along. We have been in the minority, but we have stuck our necks out for you and your coaching abilities.

However, we want to make one thing clear to you: NOW WE EXPECT RESULTS. In plain language:

1) We DO NOT want respectful results, if it means we lose
2) We DO NOT want defensive style, if it means we lose
3) We DO NOT want offensive style, if it means we lose
4) We DO NOT want our normal formation, if it means we lose
5) We DO NOT want experimental formation, if it means we lose
6) We want to play in such a way that we QUALIFY for the 2nd round

In other words, we supported your decisions based on the theory that you know football better than any of us. So now prove it. Prove us right by getting POINTS. Prove us right by qualifying us to the 2nd round. We expect it from you and IRAN and nothing else.

PROVE US RIGHT. QUALIFY US TO THE 2nd ROUND.
Most people here probably know that I have been a strong supporter of Branco. I have lost counts on how many times I submited post in his defence. How many times I got into discussions with the so called ANTI BRANCO (BRANCO HATER) team. But there is a big differnce between me and you, I think the level of your expecteations are to high. Going to second round will not be a measure for me on wether I was right or wrong about him. In more detail this is what I want from him in each game.

Iran V.s Mexico: We are talking about a team who almost won confederation cup. A team who has had the best preparation in terms of friendlies out of 32 team. A team that is seeded as one of the 8 best.
I don't expect a win. I However I expect him not to lose with more that 1 goal marginal difference. I expect Iran to play the same way we did v.s Yogulavia back in 98.

Iran v.s Portugal : Do I even need to go over their players name? European runners up. I expect him to play defencively, under no circumstances shoudl Iran lose with a marginal diference of more than 2 goals. Again I expect Iran to play the same way they played against yoguslavia

Iran v.s Angola
A Win only a WIN and nothing but a WIN.

Judging Branco based on wether he can take Iran to the 2nd round atleast to me is having way to much expectation (If you are being realistic).

paymonM

Bench Warmer
Jun 19, 2003
There is a reason why Iran's winning odds are so low in the betting community. The 500-1 odds means that for every ONE "khosh-bavar" that believes we'll make it to the 2nd round, there are 500 that believe that one person must be smoking some good quality stuff ....

We have a good team, but let's not get carried away to think that anything but a 2nd round qualification is a failure. Is a tie and a win not good enough even if we don't qualify?? The reality is we are considered one of the weakest teams in the WC. If we qualify from group D, then it is considered a major upset.

now having said all that, I believe we have a chance to surprise some teams .... If we make it to the 2nd round, every one should praise both TM and the coaching staff and not resort to childish methods of badmouthing the coach in a loss and praising the players in a win.

paymonM

Bench Warmer
Jun 19, 2003
Simply Ken said:

bagheri long time ago called it quits ...Any player that quits due to the "pressures" of TM, is not mentally strong enough to wear the uniform.... Nikbakht is injured .... why waste a slot on an injured player?

ghilich

Bench Warmer
Oct 12, 2004
usa
paymonM said:
bagheri long time ago called it quits ...Any player that quits due to the "pressures" of TM, is not mentally strong enough to wear the uniform.... Nikbakht is injured .... why waste a slot on an injured player?
I would say that Bagheri is not "any" player and his record proves that more than anything you or I or 1000 like us could say... How many "any" players did we have that scored 40+ goals for Team Melli, as a midfielder? answer ONE: Bagheri. How many players did we have in our HISTORY of football that have scored more for TM than Karim? answer ONE: Daei...

How old is Bagheri? answer 32!
How many positions can the guy play? Three: defensive center fielder, attacking center fielder, sweeper....

How many other players do we have in TM that can do that? answer: NONE...

If Bagheri could not handle pressure, just how did he manage to score that record number of goals and even better BEFORE the age of 28????

And, oh one more thing! as much as I like the old Yahya...did he not break under pressure in Asian cup with that stupid penalty? should we ban him for life from TM for that? (NO) And, are u telling me the likes of ZAREH, NOSRATI and yes even ZANDI can handle pressure better than our most gifted midfield GENERAL EVER??? (and notice my web name is GHILICH....)

Sly

Elite Member
Oct 18, 2002
Kaz said:
we lost to Germany 3-0
Actually it was 2-0. But I don't care, cause we played a great football. That's what's important to me. Even in the WC, but anyways....

Kaz said:
For the same reason Barca had the best defense in La Liga.

If we're playing positive football, combined with the right players and formation, we can surely go through. I'm not restricting it to formation. Hell ok, 4-4-2, but it depends who he picks to play and what the approach is. The current one is poor.
Ok, 4-4-2...so if he's gonna play a 4-4-2 formation, then why suddenly so many strikers in the squad then? Cause I though you said you liked his selection this time because he had an attacking approach?

Foo

Elite Member
Feb 12, 2006
Den Haag, Holland
Sly said:
Actually it was 2-0. But I don't care, cause we played a great football. That's what's important to me. Even in the WC, but anyways....

Ok, 4-4-2...so if he's gonna play a 4-4-2 formation, then why suddenly so many strikers in the squad then? Cause I though you said you liked his selection this time because he had an attacking approach?
i dont think he took so many strikers to play 4-3-3..i think he just sacrificed a defender sub and took an striker since he thought he deserved it..u dont really have to have a sub for every place.

Aug 26, 2005
Sly said:
Oops, yes 2-0.

Sly said:
Agha sly, nemidoonam dige...for every point of view I have to explain it 20 times and you still mix it up.

I said based on his squad, you would hope to see a more aggressive and positive side. That's why so many strikers...

You're asked what was wrong with 4-4-2. I replied that it wasn't bad, it just depends who he field and how the team is ordered to play.

I said originally that I thought if Iran played positive then yes, in my opinion, it is likely we'll go through. That is IF he actually utilises the players he's picked properly.

oghabealborz

Elite Member
Feb 18, 2005
Strawberry field
ghilich said:
I would say that Bagheri is not "any" player and his record proves that more than anything you or I or 1000 like us could say... How many "any" players did we have that scored 40+ goals for Team Melli, as a midfielder? answer ONE: Bagheri. How many players did we have in our HISTORY of football that have scored more for TM than Karim? answer ONE: Daei...

How old is Bagheri? answer 32!
How many positions can the guy play? Three: defensive center fielder, attacking center fielder, sweeper....

How many other players do we have in TM that can do that? answer: NONE...

If Bagheri could not handle pressure, just how did he manage to score that record number of goals and even better BEFORE the age of 28????

And, oh one more thing! as much as I like the old Yahya...did he not break under pressure in Asian cup with that stupid penalty? should we ban him for life from TM for that? (NO) And, are u telling me the likes of ZAREH, NOSRATI and yes even ZANDI can handle pressure better than our most gifted midfield GENERAL EVER??? (and notice my web name is GHILICH....)
Excellent post ghilich jan ,you have the eyes for picking diamonds in dust !
karim has answered his critics in the football field in the last 2 years by being the best IPL player .
80 internationals 47 goals ! as a midfield player .
He is the third most goalscorer in the world among midfield players !
behind Zico and Bobby Charlton .
32 and in peak form .
How this clown prefares Golmohamadi who has been in poor form all season to Karim ?
It is the most stupid decision by the clown branko and mark my words ,we will regret it !
Golmohamadi can not hold it together against Ipl forwards or the Arabs in AFC leaque ,how is he going to hold it against mexico and portugal ?

you have to find the reason outside the football field ,to find out who is supporting the likes of Golmohamadi and Zare .
Is zare better than Mobali and rajabzadeh ?
give me a break !

Last edited:

Sly

Elite Member
Oct 18, 2002
Foo jan, he sacrificed midfielders (the ones he would usually pick), not defenders. Or shall I say, maybe he was under the pressure to sacrifice the midfielders. I hope I'm wrong.

Kaz said:
Agha sly, nemidoonam dige...for every point of view I have to explain it 20 times and you still mix it up.

I said based on his squad, you would hope to see a more aggressive and positive side. That's why so many strikers...

You're asked what was wrong with 4-4-2. I replied that it wasn't bad, it just depends who he field and how the team is ordered to play.

I said originally that I thought if Iran played positive then yes, in my opinion, it is likely we'll go through. That is IF he actually utilises the players he's picked properly.
Well, from your previous replies, I guess you mean the right players to pick are Sadeghi in the left back and Bakhtiarizadeh in the defensive midfield beside Nekounam. and I guess you mean as long as he uses them, we have a very good chance to advance to the second round, otherwise we wont.

We'll see what happens but as I said before I don't think he will use them and he will line up with the same players as always. Although the tactics will be different and we'll probably have good games in the WC.

Jan 23, 2003
Sly said:
Well, from your previous replies, I guess you mean the right players to pick are Sadeghi in the left back and Bakhtiarizadeh in the defensive midfield beside Nekounam. and I guess you mean as long as he uses them, we have a very good chance to advance to the second round, otherwise we wont.
That would be a vast improvement with Sadeghi. Just having someone there with a left foot would make the team more fluid as Zareh/Nosrati would slow the game down bybringing the ball on their right foot.

Another good change would be to have Madanchi instead of Daei.