Picking a Movie for tonight

Sly

Elite Member
Oct 18, 2002
Hands down, the best movie I have watched in the last 10 years. The story line, the acting, the way Farhadi managed to portray complex characters, all with their own flaws and issues, and make them all likable at the same time was simply genius.
I don't know of any other movie affecting me in such a profound way. I literally was speechless when the movie ended, and what an ending. If this movie doesn't win the oscar, I would never watch the oscars again.
Tajrish joon, who was your favourite actor? I mean everyone really played well but whom did you think was really the best of them all?

tajrish

Elite Member
Oct 18, 2002
San Diego, California
Tajrish joon, who was your favourite actor? I mean everyone really played well but whom did you think was really the best of them all?
Sly jan, to me Peyman Moaadi (playing as Nader) was the best and had the most engaging role since he had to play a very tricky character. Shahab Hosseini, although amazing, but his role was somehow much easier compared to Moaadi. Sareh Bayat was simply excellent.
Look, there is a reason why the Golden Bear award for best actor, actress and supporting actors all went to this movie. They were just pure perfection in portraying Farhadi's vision of the characters in the story. Heck, I would give an oscar to his daughter too, if it were up to me. Hard to believe that it was her first movie.

I am so proud of them all and although I think they were mugged by the Oscars again for not being nominated for the best movie award, I am still hopeful that those moron in the Oscar committee will make the right decision and give the movie both awards that it's been nominated for.
I have yet to see another movie where both critics and the general public review be in agreement in such degree. According to the Wiki it is holding a 99% rating on Rotten Tomatoes, based on 85 reviews, as well as a metascore of 95 on the Metacritic, based on 32 reviews, making it the best-reviewed film of 2011.

Last edited:

Mahdi

Elite Member
Jan 1, 1970
Mjunik
Sly jan, to me Peyman Moaadi (playing as Nader) was the best and had the most engaging role since he had to play a very tricky character. Shahab Hosseini, although amazing, but his role was somehow much easier compared to Moaadi. Sareh Bayat was simply excellent.
Look, there is a reason why the Golden Bear award for best actor, actress and supporting actors all went to this movie. They were just pure perfection in portraying Farhadi's vision of the characters in the story. Heck, I would give an oscar to his daughter too, if it were up to me. Hard to believe that it was her first movie.

I am so proud of them all and although I think they were mugged by the Oscars again for not being nominated for the best movie award, I am still hopeful that those moron in the Oscar committee will make the right decision and give the movie both awards that it's been nominated for.
I have yet to see another movie where both critics and the general public review be in agreement in such degree. According to the Wiki it is holding a 99% rating on Rotten Tomatoes, based on 85 reviews, as well as a metascore of 95 on the Metacritic, based on 32 reviews, making it the best-reviewed film of 2011.
Honestly, best movie was difficult to begin with. I was surprised they gave 2. But anyway, everything you said. I don't remember any Iranian movie having such depth and complexity of characters.....don't remember too many movies at all on that level.

Sly

Elite Member
Oct 18, 2002
Completely agree.

Did you know that even Farhadi's daughter and the daughter of Sareh Bayat in the movie and the old man who had alzheimer, even the judge infront of whom they fought..... they all got Berlin's crystal beer??

Ali+Asghar+Shahbazi+61st+Berlin+Film+Festival+WzM4E3kG2EZl.jpg

Ali+Asghar+Shahbazi+61st+Berlin+Film+Festival+5qtXsEkKam6l.jpg

Ali+Asghar+Shahbazi+61st+Berlin+Film+Festival+8cs1NOjB4m8l.jpg

563932-les-acteurs-sareh-bayat-sarina-637x0-2.jpg

MV5BMzgyMDMyMzUxMl5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTcwNzU4NzE1NA@@._V1._SY314_CR2,0,214,314_.jpg

Niloufar

Football Legend
Oct 19, 2002
This is soooo funny and very impressive animated movie! all the famous actors/actresses such as Mehran Modiri, Hediyeh Tehrani, Bahram Radan, Sharifinia have a role in it.
It shows Tehran in Year 1500, going to space,etc!!it also takes a peak at LA TVs and shabkhiz!lol
LOOOL@ the ending part the robot learning their dahati accent!!:D

[video=youtube;P96THlRjYo8]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P96THlRjYo8&sns=fb[/video]

Sly

Elite Member
Oct 18, 2002
BTW, I have to add....

When it comes to material stuff, Farhadi has really shown the best side of Iran in this movie, letting people know that Iranians don't live with sheep and cows. In their "middle class" appartement you can see a dish washing machine, a fridge from where you can take water and ice directly from the door, a microwave oven, a sattelite dish, etc. The old man wears a tie at times and heck, even the traffic looks just like in the west. I noticed in the clips where they showed the streets, people were driving in their own lines and all the traffic rules were going by the book! Farhadi also managed to show three different classes of the society in this movie. Nader and Simin's middle class lives, Simin's parents' seemingly upper class place and the lower class lives and place of Shahab Hosseini and Sareh Bayat.

Even their behaviour towards their own kids and wives were great, eventhough they were getting a divorce.

In front of the eyes of some ignorant western people, blinded by the media, he really managed to show Iranians are also really human beings like everywhere else.

Damesh garm!

Asha

Ball Boy
Sep 30, 2010
Finally got around to seeing this movie, the acting was probably the best I've seen in any Iranian movie. I'd consider the movie somewhat overrated tho, it lacked the subtlety that is usual associated with what I'd consider great movies and I found that too much time was spent exploring the complexities and motives of each character that I didn't grow any attachment to anyone particular and as a result I didn't like any of them very much. Tho I'd imagine that was probably the intent of the director to have the viewer looking in on the ordeal of the characters involved from a somewhat neutral perspective.

Sly

Elite Member
Oct 18, 2002
^^have you seen the movie "about Elly"? If you haven't, see it. Some of the characters from "A Separation" play in that too and the acting is equally fantastic if not even more.

Zob Ahan

Elite Member
Feb 4, 2005
^Ali jan another one of Farhadi's films is called Charshanbehsuri. It is also about marital problems. I preferred it to About Ellie.

Sly

Elite Member
Oct 18, 2002
^^Zobahan jan, I was only referring to the acting. In "about Elly" the acting is just fantastic! Among the best I've seen from Iran.

But I have't seen Charshanbesuri. Then I have to watch that too.

May 9, 2004
جناب
این بقیه فیلم کجاست؟
ما تو خماری فیلم بودیم یکدفعه مدیر مدرسه گفت یکی از این ترقه ها رو روشن کنم و فیلم تمام شد
بقیش کو با وفا
تو خماری ما گذاشتی
:smoke: