Picking a Movie for tonight

Oct 18, 2002
Interesting concept and movie. great acting especially Joseph Gordon-Levitt and our own little Canadian genius (Ellen Page).
Started a bit slow, but got better as the movie moved forward; and boy, what a magnificent ending.

Mehran(ISP)

<b>Administrator</b>
Oct 16, 2002
MD, USA
Definitely plan on seeing this movie very soon. As for Di Caprio, his work speaks for itself. Blood Diamond is one of my all time favorites. Catch me if you can and Body of Lies are also great movies. You can add Shutter Island and Inception to that list now.

Jun 26, 2007
As good as De Niro, Jack Nicholson, Dustin Hoffman are...I dont think we will ever see the caliber of actors like Bogart (watch him Casablanca, then watch him in Desparate Hours!) Kirk Douglass, Gregory Peck, Jimmy Stewart, Lawrence Olivier, Anthony Quinn, Peter Ustinov, etc...

Oct 1, 2004
As good as De Niro, Jack Nicholson, Dustin Hoffman are...I dont think we will ever see the caliber of actors like Bogart (watch him Casablanca, then watch him in Desparate Hours!) Kirk Douglass, Gregory Peck, Jimmy Stewart, Lawrence Olivier, Anthony Quinn, Peter Ustinov, etc...

The older guys you mentioned are trained in a completely different form of acting. Movies for them are much like theatre. Very dramatic, sudden movements, scripts were written with a different style of dialouge. Its difficult to compare them with today's actors, because they had completely different material, tone and style to work with.

Although Quinn was probably the most talented amongst those guys in my opinion. Even near the end of his career he still had good on-screen charisma and believability.

Also DiCaprio is a great actor. He picks good movies too which help him stand out and can hide deficiencies in a well-told story. Watch most of his movies after Titanic and you will agree. The Aviator, Blood Diamond, The Departed, Catch me if you can, Inception...

Mahdi

Elite Member
Jan 1, 1970
Mjunik
all I can say is FUCKING GREAT MOVIE

best movie ever, I don't know as I can't say best ever on anything but what a fucking great movie...what a fucking great movie..

Mahdi

Elite Member
Jan 1, 1970
Mjunik
oh really? so Barcelona is NOT the best club ever????

HALA MADRID

Never claimed that, it's just the club I support. When you support something, you can't do it because you think it's the best, you do it out of belief. How can you believe or support a movie/song/any piece of art? You can either like it or dislike it...

Feb 15, 2006
Copenhagen-Denmark
good. very good. but the best ever? hmm. that must be matter of taste.
The plot was very original. the acting was good, de caprio did it again. The ending was a bit confusing..... for me atleast
I didn't get how Leonardo and the japani got out of Limbo and back to the "reality" in the plane?

Anyway I always judge movies on how long afte the movie, I think about it.
well I still think of inception, but then again I just left the cinema :D

here is my top movies in same genre (sci-fi adventure) based on occupying mind.

Back to the future 1 - one week
12 monkeys - Months
Terminator 1 - years...

Oct 18, 2002
Los Angeles, CA USA
The plot was very original. the acting was good, de caprio did it again. The ending was a bit confusing..... for me atleast
I didn't get how Leonardo and the japani got out of Limbo and back to the "reality" in the plane?

12 monkeys - Months
Terminator 1 - years...

Spoilers below!!!

Who says it was reality? ;)

The theory is that in limbo you forget that you are dreaming. If you kill yourself in limbo, you wake up, but the problem is that if and when you figure that out, you have been there for so long your brain is fried...

IF the end was reality, then Leo convinced Saito to kill themselves and wake up...

Ive seen the movie 3 times. Its excellent, probably the smartest movie I have seen in a while. There are plot holes, but hey, would be almost impossible to not have any.

Oct 18, 2002
That was the main question of the movie. Did they get back to reality or not?
When the spinner was spinning at the end of the movie, everybody in the cinema was holding his breath. And once the end credits started to roll, it got a thundering applause.

Feb 22, 2005
I am looking forward to seeing it. But must say as many positive feedbacks I received from friends, there were as many horribly negative about the movie. And the ones with negative are very creative and great taste in movies.

Jul 28, 2007
Not the greatest movie at all. Technically may be one of the greatest. Acting was great. Hans Zimmer's sound track amazing. BUT...the movie lacked the human touch and...message.
Greatest movie ever, here's a short list:
The life of the others (Das Leben der Anderen)
House of spirits
Underground (emir kusturica)
Cinema Paradiso
experiment (german version)
Blue (Krzysztof Kieslowski)
Red (Krzysztof Kieslowski)
White (Krzysztof Kieslowski)
Head On (Fatih Akin)

Jul 28, 2007
[video=youtube;x38Ujk1Srpc]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x38Ujk1Srpc&feature=related[/video]

[video=youtube;hIvvE-3GFTs]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hIvvE-3GFTs&feature=related[/video]

[video=youtube;P8zze8Yc2iE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P8zze8Yc2iE&feature=related[/video]

Jun 26, 2007
My question is how can you dream, yet not be a part of it?
its YOUR dream! you HAVE to be in it!

So many scenes, the "dreamer" was not even in the scene!

Or maybe I misunderstood the movie and need to watch it again!

Mahdi

Elite Member
Jan 1, 1970
Mjunik
Not the greatest movie at all. Technically may be one of the greatest. Acting was great. Hans Zimmer's sound track amazing. BUT...the movie lacked the human touch and...message.
Greatest movie ever, here's a short list:
The life of the others (Das Leben der Anderen)
House of spirits
Underground (emir kusturica)
Cinema Paradiso
experiment (german version)
Blue (Krzysztof Kieslowski)
Red (Krzysztof Kieslowski)
White (Krzysztof Kieslowski)
Head On (Fatih Akin)
miduni ke nokaretam, vali honestly, Head on, life of others etc. they don't really come close in terms of message and even human touch compared to this. I was just literally sitting in my cinema seat for 8 minutes to digest it...

12 monkeys - Months
Terminator 1 - years...
Farbod and deerouz already answered it..

ali_karimi

Bench Warmer
Dec 19, 2004
Canada

12 monkeys - Months
Terminator 1 - years...
SPOILER ALERT!!!

The problem with limbo, and the reason why it's so dangerous, is that the dreamer forgets they are in limbo, and it becomes their reality. That's why you never wanna get stuck there. If the dreamer knows they are in limbo, it's simply "unconstructed dream space" and all the other dreaming rules apply. That's why you see the exchange between old Saito and Cobb realizing they are in limbo, immediately before they wake up in the plane.

Next, the reason they go straight from limbo to the plane is simple. When they are in limbo, all the kicks have already been performed so if they die in limbo, they proceed straight up into the "real-world". This is why they leave them in the van when the rest of them go to safety above the water. Because they want them to drown in the van, and thus leave no dreams between them and the real world.

The other theory is of course that they don't wake up in the real world, and by killing themselves, they go into another "limbo" where Cobb gets to return to his family.

Oct 18, 2002
Los Angeles, CA USA
I used to think the end was reality for several reasons like hes not wearing a ring and all in all would be a better ending.

My only annoyance is that the kids are wearing the exact same clothes as in his dreams. Either this was sloppy on the directors part, or its a dream...

Also there is one very large plot hole. A "kick" brings you up from the level below. A kick wont work if you are not in the level below, but rather 2 levels below, as you would need two kicks to be brought up to that level. This explains that when the van goes off the bridge the team isnt kicked to level one, as they are still in level three since arthur could not set up the kick in time. The plot hole is, ARTHUR IS IN LEVEL TWO!! He shouldve been kicked up to level one alone... But I dont expect every plot hole to be accounted for in a movie like this. The plot holes in every other science fiction film are ten fold this one... Just food for thought :)

Oct 18, 2002
Why sloppy? IMO the greatest movies are those who do not draw a clear conclusion at the end and allow the audience to think and speculate about it. Average Americans like a morally black-and-white, non-confusing movie with a happy ending. Not my preference. If the ending was clear cut obvious, I would not have enjoyed the film as much as I did.

Oct 18, 2002
Los Angeles, CA USA
Why sloppy? IMO the greatest movies are those who do not draw a clear conclusion at the end and allow the audience to think and speculate about it. Average Americans like a morally black-and-white, non-confusing movie with a happy ending. Not my preference. If the ending was clear cut obvious, I would not have enjoyed the film as much as I did.
Has nothing to do with a clear conclusion. Has to do with logic. Having a widely interpretable ending is great, but something very different than making an error. Either it was a dream or an editing mistake... Not that I care, loved the movie either way. Just saying...

Id actually wish it was done in a way that was even LESS conclusive... Just logically done so there wasnt discrepancies... But honestly this is complete nitpicking, the movie was incredible...

Last edited: