Semi-Breaking: Two Explosions @ the Boston Marathon!

Aug 26, 2005
You have made it very clear that it is not just torture that you are against. You are against loud music and uncomfortable beds too. So when I asked how do YOU propose to make someone who you KNOW has information, like this Jokar guy(assuming his brother was still on the loose and plotting) talk, you say I let the "experts" figure it out. I am not asking the experts here. I am asking you.
Don't play dumb, mate. We're not talking about 'loud music' in the sense that your neighbour is annoyed by. We're talking about the kind of tactical and malicious use of sound which constitutes torture. The 'experts' here consider both this and waterboarding torture. It was the neocons that decided to recoin them "advanced interrogation techniques".

And yes, people who "know" aren't going to give you that information. Torture has a poor reliability rate and can be abused. The penny doesn't seem to drop here. You can use torture to MAKE people say what you want them to say...that is why confessions under duress are inadmissible. I am surprised this needs explaining since you're one of the more well read people here.

Jun 9, 2004
Canada
I was watching Bill Maher last night and they had a nice debate about imprisonment torture, etc. He was saying that best case scenario, this guy's going to get solitary confinement for the rest of his life, that it would be more inhumane to throw someone in a cage to rot with no human contact than just executing them. He was asking whether that in itself does not constitute torture? Valid question I think. Not to mention that any other jihadist looking at this situation will view it as such and be that much more determined.

On that note, I think they should strip him of his citizenship, put him on a plane and deport him back to Dagestan after they're done questioning him. Let him be tortured and rot in his own country if he thinks the US is so evil.

Another note, I saw a headline last week that one of the states had authorized drone use in its airspace. Since the technology is available, shouldn't there be a debate about having unarmed drones man the skies during major events? How do you guys feel about that?

Zopyrus

Bench Warmer
Aug 11, 2004
I don't get the point of thinking so conspirationalist about these guys. Even if they did not bomb the boston marathon, they did throw bombs at the police when police were on to them. They took to fire against the cops, they even killed a police officer. They jumped in a car and boasted about murdering. They hid from the cops. Every act they did just confirmed it even more. Would innocent people resort to these things? No matter who manipulated them, they took a gun in their own hands directly. And obviously they were running around with a lot of firearms. They put their society at danger and should be punished hard for it.

I believe that if someone innocent were suspected they would act like the pakistani/indian guys at the beginning that just called the cops as soon as they saw their name on screen.

Jan 28, 2005
Stockholm
I don't get the point of thinking so conspirationalist about these guys.
Zopyrus jan, it is not about these guys, it is about trusting governments with a history of lying and confirmed false flag operations. If someone lies to you a couple of times, next time he cries wolf you tend to hesitate to believe that person/country. I couldn't care less about muslim extremists and I hope they all vanish from the face of the earth but unfortunately those in power holding the banner of "Peace, freedom & democracy" are often times worse because at least with muslim extremists you know what to expect. Just check out our own history to see how many times we have been backstabbed by these so called noble/honest/peaceful/freedom loving countries of the west...read US/EU(UK)!

Perhaps this time the official story is the correct one. Time will tell!

Flint

Legionnaire
Jan 28, 2006
United States
Another note, I saw a headline last week that one of the states had authorized drone use in its airspace. Since the technology is available, shouldn't there be a debate about having unarmed drones man the skies during major events? How do you guys feel about that?
Drones have a definitie role in law enforcement and news gathering. Why send a $10,000 an hour chopper for a traffic report or fly over a crime scene? The best thing drones can do is to put an end to these idiotic police chases that end up killing more people. I don't care how fast they go they can never outrun a drone. Better yet, they won't even know the are being followed. All police have to do is to coordinate with a few squad cars and meet the perp where he comes to stop. The privacy issue is also a red herring. I like to know the scenarios people are worried about.

Flint

Legionnaire
Jan 28, 2006
United States
I was watching Bill Maher last night and they had a nice debate about imprisonment torture, etc. He was saying that best case scenario, this guy's going to get solitary confinement for the rest of his life, that it would be more inhumane to throw someone in a cage to rot with no human contact than just executing them.
First of all, don't be so sure about this so called life without parole. Streets are full of people who were supposed to serve a "life" term. The irony of the whole thing is mind boggling. An entire family is granted asylum in the US, then go on public assistance for no reason, then kill the very same people who gave them asylum and free food, then get appointed a lawyer paid for by the same people they killed and if he gets life, he'll cost the same country who gave them asylum, free food, free lawyer millions of dollar in jail costs. Only in America.

FOX Pundit spreading hate video
Okay so she got her 7 minutes. What exactly do you think this will achieve?

I'm not saying she's wrong on every account. She's right about the mother and the family abusing the system.

What FOX doesn't realize is, this type of anger-fed attitude will only create more tension. Refering to immigrants as "THEY" will create more isolation and hatred. When middle-eastern Americans start feeling "protective" about their identity, that's when America will have to worry about terrorism. Up until now, it was mostly an external threat that occasionally found its way in.

Now media outlets such as FOX are turning it into an internal war against immigrants from Islamic countries.

I'm personally against religion myself, but when you allow millions of religious people inside your borders without requiring them to adhere to a practical secular belief-system, you can't suddenly start hating them for doing what you encouraged them to do in the first place. Yeah, maybe America and Canada did not intend to encourage Muslim youth to become Jihadists, but that's exactly what CAN happen with Muslims if you let them practice their religion freely.

If there were very few Muslims in America, then maybe these types of media episodes would not be so bad to have, but that's not the case. It's very important to prevent other Muslim youth from feeling isolated, hated and stereotyped against. It's important to teach them about the criminal nature of organized religion and how it always ends up robbing innocent people of peace.

Instead...we have the "yellow lady" screaming "look I have boobs and I can yell".

Jun 9, 2004
Canada
^^^ As much as I agree with some of the stuff she is saying she really needs to, 1 - Get laid, 2- Stop sounding like the jihadist mother! 3- Stop shaking her head and fidgeting like a cheap ho or at least turn off that big red light behind her that reminds everyone of the cheap ho's in the Red Light District! ;)

masoudA

Legionnaire
Oct 16, 2008
BH and BT
I think you are both consider yourselves foreigners in Canada....hence somewhat sensetive about such comments......this is not hate towards foreigners....this is hate towards a stupid woman promoting terrorism against the very country she still gets all sorts of benefits from. This is logic....this is how we all feel - yet we are cautious about because we feel the stupid Americans or Canadians may burn tar o khoshk together!! I am telling you again .........that will happen only if moderate Moslems like us keep quiet and allow these SOB's to use us as protection and hide behind us.

Jun 9, 2004
Canada
I can't speak for Soroosh, but I DEFINTELY don't consider myself a foreigner in Canada, quite the contrary, I actually consider myself more Canadian than most people born here! Not to mention that I am much more patriotic, definitely speak English better ;) and have much more radical views on immigration and the Canadian identity than most Canadians. That's why I said I agree with some of the stuff she's saying. But let's face it, her presentation sucked - it was amateurish at best, angry and repetitive. All in all, it was more like ranting and raving than presenting a valuable argument by a news anchor.

masoudA

Legionnaire
Oct 16, 2008
Please clarify. I did not think any of you three considered yourseleves Muslims. What does "moderate Moslems like us" mean?
Well whether we like it or not we are in fact considered Molsem - unfortunately. Moslem by birth is still Molsem.......in fact the overwhelming majority of Molsems are like us...

Flint

Legionnaire
Jan 28, 2006
United States
Please clarify. I did not think any of you three considered yourseleves Muslims. What does "moderate Moslems like us" mean?
There is no moderate Islam, modern Islam or radical Islam. There is only Islam. All the others are invented by politicians in the west. Looks like Khomeini was onto something when he talked about Islameh Amricaii.

Ardesheer

Bench Warmer
Jun 30, 2005
Well whether we like it or not we are in fact considered Molsem - unfortunately. Moslem by birth is still Molsem.......in fact the overwhelming majority of Molsems are like us...
Islam is not like race or place of origin that cannot change. Islam is a belief or opinion. Therefore, I don't agree that people are Muslim by birth and stay Muslim and just change shades. There are ex-Muslims that are Christians, Bahai's, etc. Are they considered Muslims even though they changed religions? I don't see how that is different if one does not accept any religion or does not even believe in God.

Jun 9, 2004
Canada
Islam is not like race or place of origin that cannot change. Islam is a belief or opinion. Therefore, I don't agree that people are Muslim by birth and stay Muslim and just change shades. There are ex-Muslims that are Christians, Bahai's, etc. Are they considered Muslims even though they changed religions? I don't see how that is different if one does not accept any religion or does not even believe in God.
Well, I don't know about Massi, but I'm certainly not a subscriber to any religion as you already know. That's the problem with all these religions Ardesheer jaan... They sign you up at birth and expect you to jump through hoops to cancel your membership! And their followers don't make it any easier, by always being concerned about what religion you were born into - as if one can simply be born into an ideology! But ultimately breaking the chains is as simple as the snap of a your fingers - one doesn't have to believe in anything one doesn't want to.

Funny story related to this... I was watching Locked Up Abroad a couple of days ago. The show is about Western citizens who get thrown into foreign jails usually for drug trafficking, but also for other reasons. In this show, this American lady adopted a son from a Coptic church in Egypt without getting any papers! They basically made it look like she gave birth to that child. Pretty dumb, but to make the long story short she gets caught as a human trafficker with this ring that worked out of that church, they take away her baby and throw her in jail and put the baby in in orphanage. You know what her biggest concern was? They changed the 6 month old baby's religion at the orphanage from Christian to Muslim - as if a 6 month old baby has an appreciation of the difference between the two or can't change it back when he grows up! It's mind boggling the emphasis people put on a set of instructions that they most often don't even follow.

Flint

Legionnaire
Jan 28, 2006
United States
ron paul's take on the de facto martial law that took place in boston:http://lewrockwell.com/paul/paul858.html
Typical second guessing. After you know the outcome, you second guess the tactics. Were it not for the "Martial "Law", the kid would have easily slipped town and killed even more people. That only reason he sought refuge in that boat was that there was nowhere else to go.