The wellness thred ways to battle stress and or depression

TeamMeli

Elite Member
Feb 5, 2014
Las Vegas, NV
I am sure at one point, we all ahd difficulties in our life and faced major stress and or depression. To me, depression and stress go hand and hand. I have a few techniques that might help you because it helped me out.
1- This one is obvious but talk to a professional, be it a psychiatrist or a psychologist. Make sure that they are a good one, make sure they are not just there to take your paycheck and say, "So how does that make you feel."
2- Meditation. If you start and finish each day, with 5-10 minutes of meditation and or reflection, it will make a world of a difference.
3-If you are in the late afternoon and you see you are dragging you know what, take a quick power nap. Studies have shown that even a 45-minute power nap, can recharge your batteries.
4- Write down your feelings on a journal and or diary.
5- Talk to a loved one. Sometimes a perspective from someone who is not a professional is also valuable because they know you well.
6-Exercise regularly. Studies have shown that even at an old age, if you take a 30-minute walk, 3-4 times a day, that is enough to reduce the risks of heart disease. Also, exercising builds endorphins, which make you happy and happy people are not depressed or stressed.
7- Peruse your passion or hobby and for me those are music and or martial arts.
8- Say something nice to someone. There was a story that this guy killed himself because nobody said a nice word to him. He even said, "If someone says something nice to me in 24 hours, I won't kill myself." Too bad nobody took the time to say something nice to the man.
If you guys want to add more feel free. I thought this thread could help us
9 life is too short live by the Zoroastrian principles that Nitsche: outlined in So Sparch Zarathustra. Thuse Spoke Zarathustra or Zartoosht che goft in Persian. a: Pendar e nik, gofdar e nik, ferkdar e nik- good deeds, good words, good thought's philosophy.
Also, if anyone he is depressed, feel free to DM me personally and this is not taroof BS. I know what you're going through, I have been where you were. I might not be able to help you but I can refer you to someone who is more qualified to help. Also, the studies show that Veterans are 3-4 times more likely to commute suicide, than the average nonveteran If you see a veteran who is depressed, reach out to them before they do something irreversible and or catastrophic like kill themselves or someone./.
10 This post is coming straight from the heart. Don't take drastic measures or matters into your own hands, talk to someone. . I hope whatever you are going through, you deal with your personal demons. you know that you are not alone. I hope htis helps someone, even if it is one person, it would be all worth it.

Last edited:

TeamMeli

Elite Member
Feb 5, 2014
Las Vegas, NV
@Tehol Bedict The good news is I have been clean for 6 months and I will tell you why.
Honestly, I have not smoked weed for over six months now. I figure I want to upgrade my piano to a Yamaha Clavinova 754 in Jay.
By doing Door Dash and teaching some music, I make enough moeny but not enough for weed and the Y tuition.
Keep in mind for grad school, you only get partial scholarships, full scholarships are for undergrad.
Also, I want to finish my classes in a year and do my practicum so I could teach. I have to remain clean if I want to each at CCSD.

TeamMeli

Elite Member
Feb 5, 2014
Las Vegas, NV
There are some things I can do and there are some things that are out of my control. Some things that are out of my control,
MARTIAL ARTS, until Nevada Athletic Boxing Commission, opens up full contact sports again. Until then, I can: play competitive pick-up soccer games, swimming, weightlifting (At the house not at the gym). For the martial arts to remain crisp there are a few things you can do at the house: 1 light and controlled sparring with a friend with protective gear on 2- hit the heavy and speed bag(I can get another one set up at my garage, like the old house). For cardio SWIMMING, and only swimming. So most people here probably gained some COVID weight, I actually lost about 15-20 points and am at 165-170 not 185-190(pre covid)

I mentioned MEDITATION but there is another one I forgot that you could do YOGA. I got a mat, I could put on a YouTube video and watch some Yogie, copy them. And of course, there is always Mr. Roland, soon to be Mr. Yamaha. So, the best way to combat and manage stress and or depression:
1- Exercise 2- Meditate 3- Yoga 4- do something that makes you happy for example Piano or another musical instrument.

Now that my head is clear and has been for the last 6 months, I already notice improvements
1- Remembering things easier
2- Being more focused and disciplined
3- Not getting distracted or not feeling anxious anymore about NOT having weed.
4 Out of sight, out of mind
5- I still have the bong there and a tiny bit of weed- that weed has been sitting at my house for 6 months. Why did I do that you ask?
DISCIPLINE and if I could everyday stare at the bong and the weed but still not smoke, that is good. Then if I am at a gathering and someone breaks out the weed, I won't want ot have the urge to smoke.
The Average English teacher with a master's degree, can expect to make $52,000. English and Math/stem teachers are always in demand and make the most money. I will have over 50,000 reasons to not smoke. Compare that to the average salary for a Social Studies teacher, with a Maste's 47,000. That $5,000 extra makes a huge difference.
@Tehol Bedict When you break it down like this, there are many numbers of reasons to not smoke.

Behrooz_C

Elite Member
Dec 10, 2005
A small island west of Africa
What in your opinion is "better" Weed or Alcohol? I understand both are damaging your body, my question is which one do you think harm your body LESS?
I don't think you can put things into categories like that. Putting all alcohol in the same bucket and comparing to weed is not valid.

For example, I think we all agree that drinking a whole bottle of vodka in one sitting is not good for you, and doing it frequently is even less so. But drinking a couple of glasses of red wine with dinner or after a hard day's work is arguably quite beneficial.

As for weed, I am firm believer in its medicinal effects, although I don't do it myself. It's been used for thousands of years as an analgesic and the anti-convulsant effects of CBD are well studies and there is a licenced medicine both in the US and Europe.

But if you mean recreationally, then cannabis is many times less addictive and harmful than alcohol. But again, it goes back to my point about quantity and frequency of use. There is also the issue of quality. Because of its illegal status, the quality of available cannabis is an issue, unless you are in Canada :)

IEI

Administrator
Staff member
Nov 10, 2002
I think one of the reasons that we are depressed is unrealistic expectation.
The human brain starts to trick us when we want to judge about ourselves.
In other words, we think as ourselves more superior than what we really are and when the imagination hit the reality and expectations are not met, you become depressed and anxious. In other words, understanding capabilities and our potential, and deeply understanding who we are could help us to be happier in life.

IEI

Administrator
Staff member
Nov 10, 2002
I am sure at one point, we all ahd difficulties in our life and faced major stress and or depression. To me, depression and stress go hand and hand. I have a few techniques that might help you because it helped me out.
1- This one is obvious but talk to a professional, be it a psychiatrist or a psychologist. Make sure that they are a good one, make sure they are not just there to take your paycheck and say, "So how does that make you feel."
2- Meditation. If you start and finish each day, with 5-10 minutes of meditation and or reflection, it will make a world of a difference.
3-If you are in the late afternoon and you see you are dragging you know what, take a quick power nap. Studies have shown that even a 45-minute power nap, can recharge your batteries.
4- Write down your feelings on a journal and or diary.
5- Talk to a loved one. Sometimes a perspective from someone who is not a professional is also valuable because they know you well.
6-Exercise regularly. Studies have shown that even at an old age, if you take a 30-minute walk, 3-4 times a day, that is enough to reduce the risks of heart disease. Also, exercising builds endorphins, which make you happy and happy people are not depressed or stressed.
7- Peruse your passion or hobby and for me those are music and or martial arts.
8- Say something nice to someone. There was a story that this guy killed himself because nobody said a nice word to him. He even said, "If someone says something nice to me in 24 hours, I won't kill myself." Too bad nobody took the time to say something nice to the man.
If you guys want to add more feel free. I thought this thread could help us
9 life is too short live by the Zoroastrian principles that Nitsche: outlined in So Sparch Zarathustra. Thuse Spoke Zarathustra or Zartoosht che goft in Persian. a: Pendar e nik, gofdar e nik, ferkdar e nik- good deeds, good words, good thought's philosophy.
Also, if anyone he is depressed, feel free to DM me personally and this is not taroof BS. I know what you're going through, I have been where you were. I might not be able to help you but I can refer you to someone who is more qualified to help. Also, the studies show that Veterans are 3-4 times more likely to commute suicide, than the average nonveteran If you see a veteran who is depressed, reach out to them before they do something irreversible and or catastrophic like kill themselves or someone./.
10 This post is coming straight from the heart. Don't take drastic measures or matters into your own hands, talk to someone. . I hope whatever you are going through, you deal with your personal demons. you know that you are not alone. I hope htis helps someone, even if it is one person, it would be all worth it.
You also giving a big favor to ISP community LOL
I can see your posts have sentences, paragraphs and dots. Makes sense.
I am glad you are back on track mate.

Last edited:

TeamMeli

Elite Member
Feb 5, 2014
Las Vegas, NV
@Iran-Esteghlal-Inter it is amazing how spell-checking works wonders. I am just taking my time, to make sure that there is no punctuation, spelling or grammar errors. Also, you could write a word and it is spelled correctly but it is wrong.
For example, I am a Para teacher so i can grade papers, it is a part of my practicum credits. A para teacher is a fancy way of saying teacher’s aide or T A.
I want to give the person an A but he or she writes the instead of then. The is the correct spelling but the wrong word. just because it does not show up on spell check, does not mean you are free and clear. I use that as an example. Furthermore, if i plan to teach 12 grade English, it better be perfect. Some of those students are college bound. They will know the difference between to, too and two. if you do not know the difference, they can embarrass you.

Last edited:

TeamMeli

Elite Member
Feb 5, 2014
Las Vegas, NV
@Pooya @Iran-Esteghlal-Inter @Tehol Bedict To elaborate on the nuances of English grammar gentlemen: One commonly confused trio of homophones is to, two, and too. Homonyms are words spelled or pronounced alike but different in meaning. Since homonym is used to (ambiguously) describe either a homograph or homophone, it can cause confusion, though it is often heard in classrooms.
Source below:

https://www.dictionary.com/e/homograph-vs-homophone-vs-homonym/#:~:text=One%20commonly%20confused%20trio%20of%20homophones%20is%20to%2C,is%20often%20heard%20in%20classrooms%20in%20early%20grades

What’s The Difference Between A “Homograph,” “Homonym,” And “Homophone”?
The lesson plan outlined above: could be utilized for a high school 12th grade AP course, or a transferrable, entry -level, college English class.

An excerpt from the article and I received an A for the course:
1 Homographs are words that are spelled alike but have different meanings and sometimes different pronunciations.
  • Weather – Whether
  • Where – Wear

Homophones are words that are pronounced the same but are different in spelling and meaning. In this case the combining from phone comes from the Greek word phōnḗ meaning “voice.” One commonly confused trio of homophones is to, two, and too.

For example, lead, to show the way or lead, a heavy metal.
Homophone:
1-Pair-pare- pear
2- to, too, too.

Homonyms can refer to homophones (words that are pronounced the same as other words but differ in meaning and are spelled differently).
Than – Then

• Natalie was prettier than her sister.
  • I wish I had known then what I know now

Last edited:

HalaMadrid

Jul 28, 2021
Vancouver, Canada
I don't think you can put things into categories like that. Putting all alcohol in the same bucket and comparing to weed is not valid.

For example, I think we all agree that drinking a whole bottle of vodka in one sitting is not good for you, and doing it frequently is even less so. But drinking a couple of glasses of red wine with dinner or after a hard day's work is arguably quite beneficial.

As for weed, I am firm believer in its medicinal effects, although I don't do it myself. It's been used for thousands of years as an analgesic and the anti-convulsant effects of CBD are well studies and there is a licenced medicine both in the US and Europe.

But if you mean recreationally, then cannabis is many times less addictive and harmful than alcohol. But again, it goes back to my point about quantity and frequency of use. There is also the issue of quality. Because of its illegal status, the quality of available cannabis is an issue, unless you are in Canada :)
I agree, let me rephrase my question:
- Which hurts my body LESS?
--> Having 3-4 beer a week OR Smoking a joint a week?
I am genuinely looking for a scientific answer as many see "weed" as harming your body and drug, however, based on what I was able to research (I AM NOT A DR.) I was not able to find a single article that states Alcohol is less damaging than weed yet it seems to be more expected behaviour compared to it.

Tehol Bedict

Aug 6, 2021
Helvetia 🇨🇭
I think marijuana is an amazing treatment for some medical conditions.

I went to Vancouver for a conference and bought three joints for ~3 CAD each from a really posh store opposite my IHG hotel. They all had little hand-written reviews like it was a boutique book shop and the saleswoman was some uber-well spoken english home counties girl. One was Sativa, one was indica, one was hybrid.

One of them was amazing and made me relaxed before I was about to give a talk. The other two gave me full on auditory hallucinations and a real trip, such that i thought "how the FKKKK are they selling this in a normal store, in the day time?" I genuinely considered - how does someone take LSD, mushrooms or something when this alone gives me a total epiphany. It was as intense as an Amsterdam space cake.

I can't compare my experience with one pint of beer, a shot of any spirit, or a big cuban cigar or ghalyoon with either of these. Sorry. Maybe it just depends on the strain. But I can see why they can lead to neuropsychiatric diagnoses.

Last edited:

HalaMadrid

Jul 28, 2021
Vancouver, Canada
I can see why they can lead to neuropsychiatric diagnoses.
Is there any research done on this? I believe what you are describing is the effect it has on YOUR body, one could have similar experience with Alcohol for example most South Asians missing the enzyme needed to process Alcohol so their reaction is very different than me.
Based on all the research I read or asked medical professionals, they all say BOTH hurt your body but at the moment, based on what we know, Alcohol harms your body MORE than weed. Of course drinking 1 glass a beer a week should NOT be compared to smoking 1 joint a day! I am talking about similar consumption.

Tehol Bedict

Aug 6, 2021
Helvetia 🇨🇭
Is there any research done on this?

Systematic reviews are always preferred when it comes to evidence hierarchy. These are just some papers but there are hundreds, with varying amounts of evidence.

https://www.thelancet.com/journals/lanpsy/article/PIIS2215-0366(20)30074-2/fulltext
https://journals.sagepub.com/doi/10.1177/0269881105049040?url_ver=Z39.88-2003&rfr_id=ori:rid:crossref.org&rfr_dat=cr_pub 0pubmed
https://www.nature.com/articles/s41398-021-01295-w
https://jamanetwork.com/journals/jamanetworkopen/fullarticle/2775736
https://www.pnas.org/content/109/40/E2657

I am pro-legalisation and like marijuana.

Like everything, if you are convinced about something, then I, or no one, can convince you otherwise. We live in an era when scientific education and medicine means nothing. Zilch. Nada. So if you enjoy it and it works for you, go for it. But it might not for other people.

TeamMeli

Elite Member
Feb 5, 2014
Las Vegas, NV
@Tehol Bedict You are correct but you forgot one major thing about academia, and this is perhaps in American Academica.
Scholarly review journals are good, but one needs to cite in A.P.A format, form ost unis. OWL PURDUE has a good breakdown of the different source citation rules like According to author, "quotation" (P #) and then in bibliography you have the same set up.
How to in text cite, if you have more than 40 words, you need Times New Roman, 12 fonts, and 1-inch margins but you indent an inch.
This is a good reference now again let's be clear on a few things.
I too am for legalization, provided that the people of the state vote for it. I personally would advise against smoking marijuana for my from my own experiences.
However, I could also point out to some cases, where patients suffering from a medical condition such as glaucoma or other cancers might benefit
from a low dosage of it and it ides do not have to be in flower form, like you think. It comes in many forms, concentrates, edibles, creams, liquid pen like an E cigarette almost.
Again, I am not advocating for or against smoking marijuana, but I am advocating for IS respecting the state laws. As a state delegate of Nevada and you can easily look that one up, I believe that the people of each state should have the final vote and say. Then, when enough of a majority of the states, if over 2/3 of the states legalize it, then you can add a Constitutional Amendment to it. Three are only two ways an amendment could get passed and added in the Constitution of the United States. One is by a house and senate vote 51% and 2/3 66T and the other is 2/3 of the states.
Also, everyone's body is different and with statistics and research, i could argue anything pro or against. I could argue some journals and pro marijuana argumetns as well.
Are There Benefits of Marijuana for Medical Use? (healthline.com)

http://forums.iransportspress.com/i...-stress-and-or-depression.88467/#post-1246822
From the article and the author mentiosn TOO MUCh, and it reduces IQ by 8 points, at a younger age.
t’s less addictive than alcohol, less addictive than opioids, but just because it’s less addictive doesn’t mean that it’s not addictive.”

GAZETTE: What constitutes heavy use?

HILL: Cannabis is different than alcohol, because w
t’s less addictive than alcohol, less addictive than opioids, but just because it’s less addictive doesn’t mean that it’s not addictive.”
GAZETTE: Is pain one area that cannabis is proven for?

HILL: In 2015, we had two FDA-approved cannabinoids, dronabinol and nabilone, for nausea and vomiting associated with cancer chemotherapy, and for appetite stimulation in wasting conditions. Last year they added cannabidiol — only one version is FDA-approved — and it is for a couple of pediatric epilepsy conditions. Beyond the FDA-approved indications, the best evidence is for three things: chronic pain, neuropathic pain — which is a burning sensation in your nerves — and muscle spasticity associated with multiple sclerosis. There are more than six randomized control trials for each of those three conditions. There are problems associated with some of those trials — sample sizes are small and the follow-up periods are not as long as we would like them to be. I wish there was better evidence for chronic pain, but as long as we have a clear conversation about what the risks may be, then to me, there’s enough evidence for those three things to think about cannabis or cannabinoids not as first-line or second-line treatments but as third-line treatments. I could also argue against it.

RELATED

$9 million donation earmarked for cannabis research
HMS, MIT alum’s donations will fund independent research on the drug’s influence on brain health and behavior

Cannabis abstinence for month aids memory, study says
Research focused on adolescents and young adults

Playing catch-up on marijuana
‘Policy has outpaced science,’ says McLean Hospital researcher
GAZETTE: The House Judiciary Committee recently approved a bill removing cannabis as a Schedule 1 controlled substance. There’s a long way to go with that legislation, but would that step make it easier to conduct the studies that will clear some of the confusion?

Tehol Bedict

Aug 6, 2021
Helvetia 🇨🇭
@Tehol Bedict You are correct but you forgot one major thing about academia, and this is perhaps in American Academica.
Scholarly review journals are good, but one needs to cite in A.P.A format, form ost unis. OWL PURDUE has a good breakdown of the different source citation rules like According to author, "quotation" (P #) and then in bibliography you have the same set up.
How to in text cite, if you have more than 40 words, you need Times New Roman, 12 fonts, and 1-inch margins but you indent an inch.
Never change, Sherwin 🤣🤣

Behrooz_C

Elite Member
Dec 10, 2005
A small island west of Africa
Is there any research done on this?
There is a tenuous link between cannabis use and mental health conditions and in particular schizophrenia. Even then, it's mostly in people who use it in adolescence. But the directionality is very hard to establish. There is some research showing that those who are prone to developing mental health issues in the first place are more likely to turn to cannabis use.

Also consider that the vast majority of people who develop mental health issues have never smoked cannabis and the vast majority of cannabis users do not develop mental health issues. In the case of Schizophrenia, both the incidence and prevalence of it are very similar in countries where cannabis is used a lot and where it is not used much.

As for which is less harmful, it's a very complex issue. There are many variables and it's all about quantity for me. Chronic alcohol abuse is far more harmful than chronic cannabis abuse.

The human body is equipped with an endocannabinoid system with cannabinoid receptors active all over the body so it's no surprise that people who use it for a range of medical conditions swear by it, even cancer patients.

TeamMeli

Elite Member
Feb 5, 2014
Las Vegas, NV
@Tehol Bedict If i change, then I would not be me, I will make improvements for example, no weed but i will not change or lose myself; in the procures. Change for the sake of improvement is good however, too mich of anything is not good, even change.

To add to the above post, some schools do MLA or Chicago style. , while others are APA. Most now a days are APA and next is MLA. For example, Cal Pioly is MLA and so is Redlands. UNLV and BYU were-are APA so there was a bit of a learning curve

OWL (google online writing lab Purdue) Purdue is an excellent free writing or English resource. Although Purdue is known for their Engineering; they also havw an excellent English depr. if I do not get the chance to say it tomorrow, happy holidays, just to be PC.

Last edited:

TeamMeli

Elite Member
Feb 5, 2014
Las Vegas, NV
@Pooya Update, after 9 months, i finally have a meeting with a Psychiatrist and he will recommend a psychologist. This is at Healing Minds that you recommended, they approve of Medicaid and or VA.
It is telehealth but still good. Tomorrow, I had to SD for 5-6 days. Once agaim, happy holidaus, i can begin the process. There was some red tape, with the paperwork but all good.