TM Iran Information Thread

Jan 26, 2006
I think we have to stick with Skocic for this second round - it's not right to replace him after what he has done inheriting this from the disaster which was Wilmots.

But if Queiroz is approached and is keen to come back then we should take it - he has unfinished business with phase 3 of the three-phase plan. The players still attribute their success now to him, to prove how much he is valued by them. I want to see him finish the project.

Feb 4, 2005
I think we have to stick with Skocic for this second round - it's not right to replace him after what he has done inheriting this from the disaster which was Wilmots.

But if Queiroz is approached and is keen to come back then we should take it - he has unfinished business with phase 3 of the three-phase plan. The players still attribute their success now to him, to prove how much he is valued by them. I want to see him finish the project.
What do you mean 3-phase plan? What were phases 1 and 2?

Jan 26, 2006
What do you mean 3-phase plan? What were phases 1 and 2?
Phase 1 was to rescue us from the doldrums and professionalise the football - building a team from multiple perspectives but especially team spirit where the players play for each other and the sum is greater than the parts (2012-2016). Stupid interviews, players arguing etc... - getting rid of that. A team which over this period went back to the top of Asia in rankings.

Phase 2 was to seed the players into Europe and build grass roots for the future whilst still maintaining the "well-drilled club side" (words of pundits in Russia) aspects of a team which remains greater than the sum of its parts.

Phase 3 was to take Iran's football to the next level with the forwards coming of age (Taremi, Azmoun etc...) and reaching their peak, to reap the dividends of how he built TM, and the players who attribute their success to him (Taremi, Gholizadeh etc...). Second stage of the world cup.

One thing which he failed at, though improved upon, was psychological aspects of TM. He brought one of the best sports psychologists (who had some amazing words to say about Queiroz) but Iran still failed against a well disciplined Japan in the asian cup. No one is saying Queiroz is perfect, but he didn't leave at the right time. There was still things he should have done

homaie

Elite Member
Mar 1, 2003
NY/NJ in USA
مهدی مهدوی‌کیا از دراگان اسکوچیچ سرمربی تیم ملی حمایت کرد
به گزارش خبرگزاری خبرآنلاین؛ مهدی مهدوی‌کیا پیشکسوت فوتبال ایران درباره شایعات جدایی اسکوچیچ از تیم ملی گفت: فوتبال ما مربی ارزان و آرام را دوست ندارد. تیم ملی با اسکوچیچ اسیر حاشیه و تنش نبود. از نظر خودم دلیلی نمی‌بینم که کادرفنی تغییر کند. ما انگار عادت کرده‌ایم به برخی مربیان پول میلیون دلاری بدهیم و در نهایت بهره لازم را نبریم و آن‌ها در فیفا دنبال پول‌شان باشند؛ ظاهرا در ایران مربیانی که پول کم بگیرند یا ارزان باشند و یا این‌که مربیانی آرام باشند، چندان طرفدار ندارند. فوتبال ایران مربی ارزان که بتواند کارش را به درستی انجام بدهد، دوست ندارد. فکر می‌کنم این انصاف نباشد که بخواهیم شخص دیگری را جایگزین اسکوچیچ کنیم، به هر حال باید در نظر بگیریم که ایران در شرایطی به مرحله بعد صعود کرد و نمی‌توان نقش سرمربی را نادیده گرفت.
فوتبالی‌ترین | حمایت مهدوی‌کیا از اسکوچیچ (footballitarin.com)

Sly

Elite Member
Oct 18, 2002
The results speak for themselves. 7 matches, 7 wins. You cannot get these results without any tactics or a plan. Football simply doesn’t work like that. So if you’re interested you can re-watch those games and maybe you’ll get a better idea of how TM plays under Skocic and what each player’s role is in the game.

As far as the Iraq match, we created 5 really good goal scoring chances, all of which were in the “golden zone” of the penalty box which is where you want your chances to come from. Iraq only had one chance at the start of the 2nd half. We really should have won that match by a bigger margin. They did not dominate us. And let’s not forget that historically they have been a tough opponent for us.

In general I’m not saying the team is perfect. There is definitely room for improvement and that will come in time. So far, I see a lot of positive signs. And if you give the coaching staff time, the team will become better and better. This is how football works.
Time....that is something we don't have. Friendlies, those are things we don't have. Only seeing good signs in a new coach is not enough in such a short time. Simply put: we cannot afford trials and errors at this point of time! CQ would have been our only sure bet right now and his presence in Iran looks more like a dream than anything else. Az mast ke bar mast....

maziar95

Elite Member
Oct 20, 2002
Baltimore, MD

Skocic is simply not a good international level coach. Iran does't owe him anything for qualifying to the second round. If anything Skocic should be happy to have this experience on his resume so that maybe he can coach 2nd tier Asian teams like Iraq or Uzbakistan. At this point if Iran wants to have any success with talented players like Taremi and Azmoun it should go after a good foreign coach. I would love to see Queiroz back but I don't think that will happen.

Khabalood

Elite Member
Sep 26, 2004
Toronto
The results speak for themselves. 7 matches, 7 wins. You cannot get these results without any tactics or a plan. Football simply doesn’t work like that. So if you’re interested you can re-watch those games and maybe you’ll get a better idea of how TM plays under Skocic and what each player’s role is in the game.

As far as the Iraq match, we created 5 really good goal scoring chances, all of which were in the “golden zone” of the penalty box which is where you want your chances to come from. Iraq only had one chance at the start of the 2nd half. We really should have won that match by a bigger margin. They did not dominate us. And let’s not forget that historically they have been a tough opponent for us.

In general I’m not saying the team is perfect. There is definitely room for improvement and that will come in time. So far, I see a lot of positive signs. And if you give the coaching staff time, the team will become better and better. This is how football works.
I asked you to explain the strategy employed, because there appears to be a distinct lack of strategy. Since you couldn't I'll open the question up to the group. Anyone who could figure out what strategy was employed by TM vs Iraqi please reply and provide us with a detailed breakdown of what exactly the strategy was.

uhl

Jun 20, 2021
I asked you to explain the strategy employed, because there appears to be a distinct lack of strategy. Since you couldn't I'll open the question up to the group. Anyone who could figure out what strategy was employed by TM vs Iraqi please reply and provide us with a detailed breakdown of what exactly the strategy was.
Iran Attack (First half)
- We started the match building up from the back with short passes, controlling possession and trying to find spaces to get the ball behind the Iraqi defense.
Iraq defended with large numbers and was closing passing options inside their own third.

- Our fullbacks would push forward and our wingers (particularly Gholizadeh who acted as a playmaker) would come inside to a much more central position. This would help create space out wide in the attacking third and increase our numbers in the midfield.

- Taremi played behind Azmoun (as a second striker) and was used as a link for getting the ball to Azmoun who made runs behind the Iraq defense.

- In a few instances, we did also try to play more direct and find the run of Azmoun behind the Iraqi defense. One actually resulted in a disallowed offside goal but generally we tried to build up with short passes through the midfield.

Iraq Attack (First half)
-Iraq primarily had an eye for counter attacks when we turned over the ball in the midfield. They would usually always get outnumbered by our defenders and the counter would get quickly neutralized.

- At a few instances, Iraq would play with possession in our half. Iran would then defend with large numbers and neutralized any build up.

Overall (First Half)
Iran controlled the game. We created a couple of good chances through our build up and scored 1 goal. Iraq rarely threatened us and mostly looked for set piece opportunities.

Iran Attack (Second half)
- It appears as though Iran tried to start of the 2nd half as they did in the first. Build up from the back and maintain possession. But they faced much more aggressive pressing from Iraq.

- Very shortly after, Iran put numbers in their own half to close spaces in defense and played direct counter-attacking football. Iraq didn’t have any goal scoring opportunities after this.

- As the half went on Iraq’s aggressive pressing lost steam (as expected) and Iran went on to created several goal scoring chances mostly through the counter and one chance where we actually controlled possession in their half.

Iraq Attack (Second half)
- Iraq played much more open in the 2nd half and pushed more numbers up the field. They played with much more aggressive pressing which led to their only good chance in the game.

- They often played direct long balls from their own defense to try to bypass the midfield but didn’t have success.

Overall (Second half)
Iraq started the 2nd half by playing much more attacking and with aggressive pressing in the midfield/attack and created one good chance. Iran changed their tactic and put numbers in our own half and played counter-attacking. Overall Iran created 4 really good chances in the 2nd half and should have won the game by a bigger margin.

I think the coaching adjustments were logical from both sides. Iran was the better team when playing with possession in the first half and also when playing counter-attacking football in the 2nd half. They created 5-6 good chances and only allowed 1 chance to Iraq.

Again, I see a lot of positive signs. There is room for growth here. Our build up can become faster. I don't think we're capable of passing our way out of aggressive pressing but these things don't happen overnight. Even at the club level, it takes time for teams to grow and adapt to a system/style. TM needs stability. Any change at this moment would be a massive mistake.

Last edited:
Feb 4, 2005
Iran played like crap. Thank God Iraq knew they would make it to the next round no matter what or the final score would have been different.

Last edited:

Sly

Elite Member
Oct 18, 2002
- Very shortly after, Iran put numbers in their own half to close spaces in defense and played direct counter-attacking football. Iraq didn’t have any goal scoring opportunities after this.
The only reason Iraq didn't score was because Beyranvand happened to have a good day. The defense was beyond shaky, the player selection was just not right and Iraq just found out our weaknesses in the second half and played their cards right. We were very lucky to win this game. Everyone here agrees with this but you. :)

Jan 26, 2006
Sometimes I do miss Simply Ken's analyses, even if I did disagree with almost everything he said (wasn't he calling for Estili and Bagheri to return to TM almost 10 years after their last games?). But I enjoyed the reading experience.

Shame he became a regime apologist like our very own Zeerak. I gather he co-set up the other site but fell out with the cosmetic augmentation film director "golden child".

uhl

Jun 20, 2021
The only reason Iraq didn't score was because Beyranvand happened to have a good day. The defense was beyond shaky, the player selection was just not right and Iraq just found out our weaknesses in the second half and played their cards right. We were very lucky to win this game. Everyone here agrees with this but you. :)
Beiranvand only had to make one save which was a shot straight at him. We were not lucky to win the game when we had 5-6 really good chances and the opponent only had one. In fact we should’ve won by a bigger margin.

Pretty much every interview I’ve read from former coaches/players/pundits etc in Iran have been praising TM and Skocic including some of his harshest critics from when he got appointed. So actually it seems like everyone thinks he’s doing a good job and should continue.

Sly

Elite Member
Oct 18, 2002
Beiranvand only had to make one save which was a shot straight at him. We were not lucky to win the game when we had 5-6 really good chances and the opponent only had one. In fact we should’ve won by a bigger margin.

Pretty much every interview I’ve read from former coaches/players/pundits etc in Iran have been praising TM and Skocic including some of his harshest critics from when he got appointed. So actually it seems like everyone thinks he’s doing a good job and should continue.
Everyone who praise him, do it because they compare him with Wilmots and his time. Judging by the mess we were in, he did a good job taking us out of the mess. However, if that is enough for the rest of the WC qualification and subsequently the WC itself, the answer is no. Despite our wins, it took only games against teams like Bahrain and Iraq to realize how shaky this defense is. We will be facing much stronger and far better teams than Iraq who will score on that one chance they get. We need a much bigger coach with WC experience. Of course I realize changing to a whole new coach when such a short time is left to our next games, is a huge risk. So I guess all I'm saying is, at this point, we need CQ himself.

ME

Elite Member
Nov 2, 2002
Guys,

I hate to say this but it is not rocket science:

Does TM at current state has any chance against Japan, Korea, Saudis? no
Does TM at current state will get into trouble with Iraq, Oman, China, UAE, Australia? Yes
Is this TM, regardless of tactic, a cohesive group? hardly
Will TM face infightings and blaming internally and externally after the first poor result? Absolutely, we will see a lot of zolfaghar nasal and Haji Mayeli too
Is IFF able to fix the upcoming problem? Does AFC even gives a rat's ass about TM? No and No
DO we even have time to replace Skocic? probably no

About our players and their majors? yes they can do bicycle kicks but unfortunately it ends there!
Even in Bahrain they were arguing over PKs
Our best talent doesn't score on a 200% chance last minute against Iraq, and next day he shows up in brake's restaurant in Dubai missis club's practice.
The rest of them are back into trash talks about red or blue!

So do you really think we have a reasonable chance to go to the WC? NO!

That is why we needed a true coach to do fight AFC, to handle IFF idiocracy, to keep our players focused, to glue these players into one squad, and then to come up with tactics and strategies against our main competitors.

It might be already too late though

Oct 18, 2010
yada yada yada....

iranian clubs dominated the acl earlier this year
with all iranian coaches and very few foreign players.

i said at the time that iranian era of dominating asian
football has begun.

and we saw a tiny portion of it in manama.

the domination will go full throttle starting on 9-11-21 :LOL:

Sly

Elite Member
Oct 18, 2002
Our best talent doesn't score on a 200% chance last minute against Iraq, and next day he shows up in brake's restaurant in Dubai missis club's practice.
huuhhh??? When? Who? Where? Fill in me in please...

Anyways, as said........ our only chance would have been to bring CQ back and he could only continue where he left off.

It was the sports minister who wanted him out so there is no chance he will be back. Specially when they have already given Skocic a contract until 2023. Unless.......... a huge "hamdeli" starts among all the media, the people and the football experts and authorities with that one goal in mind. but unfortunately, It wont happen.