can you party in LA!?!

a123321r

National Team Player
Oct 27, 2002
bradford, england
this sounds like a real stupid question.. but can you actually party in LA? i always said going to america doesn't interest me but been kinda curious about LA and miami and when my mate said to go to america this summer, i thought let's see what LA is like and we are supposed to book the flight tomorrow morning after weeks of checking our options and now i finally started doing some research for places to go tonight and it seems like the whole damn place is so lame.. ok i like my cancun/ibiza type places for my big messy party holidays and much as i knew LA would be different, didn't expect clubs to be closed at 2am and the only other option being a handful of secret warehouse parties.. wtf? lol is it easy to find private parties there etc? and before you judge me about being shallow.. if i wanted culture, i wouldn't go to LA.. that was meant to be my party holiday for this year.. there's way better places to go for culture and other things.. i don't know if i'm just not searching well but all there really doesn't seem to be too much of a party atmosphere, even the club pictures look boring..and i know it's mostly about the beaches there but i love clubbing cities on the beach where you go out till 6..7..9 in the morning and then all end up on the beach after wards with the sunrise and then go to get breakfast etc.. LA just doesn't seem to be like that!!? this article specially scared me: (am i going to the american version of iran?!?! lol)

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/12/28/us/after-hour-parties-spread-in-los-angeles.html

Los Angeles Journal
The Party Continues, but Those Who Know Are Already There

Aaron Jimenez

Partygoers at Sarcastic Disco, one of a growing number of after-hours events in and around downtown Los Angeles.
By IAN LOVETT
Published: December 27, 2011
Linkedin
Sign In to E-Mail
Print
Reprints

LOS ANGELES — Getting to this party took commitment. The chosen had to R.S.V.P. early to get on the guest list but were not told where they were going. The address came later, by e-mail: Be at a dimly lighted parking lot just east of the Los Angeles River at 1 a.m. They lined up at a corrugated steel fence, shivering in their furs and leather jackets on the chilly December night.
Related
Times Topic: Nightclubs and Cabarets

Connect With Us on Twitter

Follow @NYTNational for breaking news and headlines.

Twitter List: Reporters and Editors

Enlarge This Image

Ian Lovett/The New York Times

Attendees of Sarcastic Disco line up to buy drinks.
Enlarge This Image

Ian Lovett/The New York Times

Security at Sarcastic Disco tries to keep order at the door, as partygoers push to get inside.

From there, a shuttle took them to an empty warehouse on an industrial street south of downtown where all-night drinks and dance beats finally awaited.

Unlike New York, the city of Los Angeles does sleep. When the clock strikes 2 a.m. here, bars close down and clubs stop serving alcohol.

But a lively underground after-hours scene is moving to fill the void with an ever-changing menu of unlicensed dance clubs and pop-up speak-easies. Like the password speak-easies of Chicago in the 1920s and the wild after-sunrise dance parties in New York of the 1980s and ’90s, their illicitness is the key to their allure.

“You kind of feel like you’re taking your life in your hands going into these warehouses,” said John Lavin, who lives downtown. “But that’s part of the appeal.”

In the late 1980s, warehouses here and around the country served as settings for roving dance parties, a staple of the house music scene. After reports of heavy drug use, drug-related deaths and fires in the early 1990s, however, the police cracked down. Dance music DJ’s went more mainstream, moving to clubs that kept regular hours and followed, at least to some extent, the rule of law.

But after-hours parties have returned with a vengeance from New York to Los Angeles, in no small part because Facebook and Twitter allow organizers to publicize the events more widely while maintaining secrecy and exclusivity. In Los Angeles, with a metropolitan area of more than 10 million people — and no one legally selling drinks after 2 a.m. — the underground events are drawing hundreds every weekend.

The parties move around, from warehouses to photography studios or industrial buildings, the locations kept secret until just hours before they begin.

”They really are everywhere now,” said Detective Eric Moore of the Los Angeles Police Department’s vice division. He said the police had shut down at least 50 parties during each of the last few years. Mostly, they respond when neighbors complain, he said.

At one downtown event last weekend, people were still arriving at 4 a.m., circling the block near the Greyhound station in search of parking. A middle-aged man stood in the middle of a nearby street, asking people to be quiet and directing them toward the party. Police cars circled, too, but did not break up the gathering.

Inside the windowless brick building, men and women of all ages — black, white, Latino — lined up to get drinks.

People smoked marijuana openly, and attendees said all sorts of other drugs were available as well. But unlike the Ecstasy-fueled raves in the 1990s, these clubs do not appear to center on drugs.

“It seems to be a pretty eclectic group of people, people from all walks of life, which is nice and refreshing,” said Lucas McLoughlin, as he surveyed the scene. “There are people who are clearly intoxicated on various things. But then there are people who aren’t.”

Detective Moore said the parties had proliferated in recent years because promoters can make up to $20,000 in a single night.

Fearing increased attention from law enforcement, promoters were hesitant to speak on the record. But they said a big portion of their profits come from selling drinks when no one else can. Cover charges of at least $20 are standard.

Still, putting together a one-night-only after-hours party is not easy. Promoters pay for private security, a sound system, D.J.’s, portable toilets, bartenders, elaborate lighting and decorations to turn a drab warehouse into a glamorous club. The one thing they are freed from is licensing fees.

“It’s a big gamble,” said one promoter and D.J., who, given the illicit nature of the operation, did not want to use his name. “After all the money you put up, you don’t know if you’re even going to recoup.”

There are serious risks associated with parties in unlicensed locations: In 1990, a fire killed 87 people inside an illegal New York club.

One recent warehouse party here ended suddenly when a fire alarm went off. Although it turned out there was no fire, for a moment a stampede seemed possible as hundreds pushed toward a lone exit.

“Most have no permits whatsoever,” Detective Moore said.

But in a city often self-conscious about its cultural relevance, partygoers and promoters alike argue that Los Angeles needs the kind of vibrant late-night life that is common in places like New York, London and Barcelona.

“It’s a scary venture for people, sometimes,” said Eleanor Wells, who was at the party last week with several friends. “But once they go, they realize there are so many more possibilities under the radar in L.A.”

Local residents were already out walking their dogs when Ms. Wells left the party at 7 a.m., still in her heels and makeup, her feet sore from dancing. As she walked toward her car, she heard a pounding bass coming from another warehouse, and she followed the music inside. It was another underground party, and it showed no signs of slowing down.

Mehran(ISP)

<b>Administrator</b>
Oct 16, 2002
MD, USA
..and i know it's mostly about the beaches there but i love clubbing cities on the beach where you go out till 6..7..9 in the morning and then all end up on the beach after wards with the sunrise and then go to get breakfast etc.. LA just doesn't seem to be like that!!? this article specially scared me: (am i going to the american version of iran?!?! lol)
I seriously doubt you can find a place like that not only in LA but North America in general.

a123321r

National Team Player
Oct 27, 2002
bradford, england
club mayan looks interesting.. any other suggestions? come on help a brother out.. need to make sure i got enough reason to actually book the tickets (and i ain't interested in no hollywood studio tour!! lol)

Zob Ahan

Elite Member
Feb 4, 2005
There are tons of clubs here. What type of a place are you looking for? The problem with LA is that there is no centralized place for clubs where you can just go from club to club. In Dusseldorf I remember there was one street "Altestadt" where there were tons of bars and clubs in walking distance of eachother. If you couldn't get lucky with the chicks you could just go to the next place but in LA because of the distances you are stuck where you go unless you go to Hollywood.

Oct 1, 2004
You want clubs go to Montreal. Best nightlife I have experienced in North America.
Austin, Miami and New York aren't bad from what I hear either.

Pooya

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 23, 2004
Vancouver, Canada
www.IranSportsPress.com
Dude i dont know why people in Europe think North America is sooo party animal and stuff !!! everyone i talked to during my trips think US/ CANADA is party town which is TOTALLY not true. i personally find Europe night life 10X better than North America, but if you want night life in North America, Montreal is the BEST city i been too in North America.

Oct 16, 2002
DarvAze DoolAb
www.iransportspress.com
Abs,

North America is a very conservative place compared to most of Europe. Staying out late at night, nudity, sex, homosexuality, drugs, flirting and swearing are all taboo on different levels. It's hardly the place you see in Hollywood movies or TV episodes. It's a lot less fun and more depressing than most people in the world imagine.

On the plus side, the vast space, privacy, incredible nature and higher living standards make North America tolerable.

So in your sense of "partying", no, LA is no party-town. It's just a city with millions of people deep engaged in their money-making activities or careers.

Mahdi

Elite Member
Jan 1, 1970
Mjunik
So in your sense of "partying", no, LA is no party-town. It's just a city with millions of people deep engaged in their money-making activities or careers.
not true..or depends what you consider a party-town.

LA has some of the better clubs, music scenes and DJs in the world...depends what you want to do though and what music you're into.

Anyway, going to clubs anywhere in the world is like going to restaurants. You either go by recommendation, someone local takes you there or you just run around and find where it's packed and join.

LA is not Ibiza, but it has a diverse music scene. There are some weekly clubs like Low End Theory(more lo-fi music), there's Vice...and anyway, talk to people there, find out what to do, usually most people are kind of friendly, get a copy of a city paper and they usually have a list of what's up.

If you want to party, fly to Ibiza. For everything else, you can go to LA and Vegas is only a 3.5 hour drive.

Last edited:

Sly

Elite Member
Oct 18, 2002
Abouzar jan, if you want to party properly in the US, why LA? Go straight to Las Vegas! You can party all night long. Not till 7-9 am but at least till 5-6 am....
and man... I'm talking about "PARTY"! ;) Specially in the summers! No beach but everybody party outside in the streets in down town and ofcourse in the clubs......

Oct 20, 2003
Abouzar jan, if you want to party properly in the US, why LA? Go straight to Las Vegas! You can party all night long. Not till 7-9 am but at least till 5-6 am....
and man... I'm talking about "PARTY"! ;) Specially in the summers! No beach but everybody party outside in the streets in down town and ofcourse in the clubs......
Did Mahdi tell you that?

Niloufar

Football Legend
Oct 19, 2002
club mayan looks interesting.. any other suggestions? come on help a brother out.. need to make sure i got enough reason to actually book the tickets (and i ain't interested in no hollywood studio tour!! lol)
lool,oh poor Abs! thats reality for you! In Europe young ppl have much more fun and party option than North America.
As others said, Montreal is the best party city in N.America. and they've got niice diverse people too!:) or if you def have to go to U.S, Miami beaches is more of a beach party type of vacation than LA.

Oct 20, 2003
speaking of, a friend of mine from Vienna went to Vegas. I told him about Olympic Gardens and he sent me a thank you message right after coming out. Further, he played blackjack on the same table as 50 Cent.
I assume the Olympic Gardens is a similar place like the main park in Vienna (I forgot the name) I visited a long time ago where waltz is played and there peacocks roaming around; no?