2022 AFC U-23 Asian Cup

takbetak

Elite Member
Apr 27, 2006
Yes but i think it’s over. Specially since I was in a funeral earlier when a fat lady sang
What Iran needs to do is beat Uzbeks and hope for Qatar to beat Turkmenistan.Qatar will be motivated as they have a chance to advance if they beat Turkmenistan and Iran does not beat Uzbeks.

takbetak

Elite Member
Apr 27, 2006
FT

Uzbekistan 6-0 Qatar

Uzbeks have already won the group with 6 points as they have first tiebreaker advantage over Turkmenistan if Turkmenistan beat Qatar and end up with 6 points as well.

This Uzbek win by large margin is best result for Iran after the disappointing defeat to Turkmenistan. Iran needs to beat Uzbeks and hope for Qatar to beat Turkmenistan not by huge margin. Qatar can advance if they beat Turkmenistan and Iran fails to beat Uzbekistan. Turkmenistan can advance with either a win or draw against Qatar as they have the first tiebreaker advantage (head to head) over Iran.

1-Uzbekistan: 6 points , GD +7 (group winner)
2-Turkmenistan: 3 points , GD 0
3-Iran: 1 point , GD -1
4-Qatar: 1 point , GD -6

Last edited:
Oct 18, 2010
when you are used to an ace like dragan who easily racks up
extraoridnary results with tm the expectations of fans go through the roof.

well there ain't no ace like dragan leading the u23 team so don't expect the
same smooth ride :D

oghabealborz

Elite Member
Feb 18, 2005
Strawberry field
I watched the last 15 minutes live , Iran played well and I didn't even notice they we were a man down and we were attacking well and creat a lot of chances but lacked that bit of quality in the final ball .
I guess being a man down exposed us in defence and Turkmenistan looked dangerous on counters,

and eventually a good shot that the defender could have reacted better and make it harder for the shooter found the back of the net.
Keeper was unlucky to be unsighted by our defence saw it too late.

ME

Elite Member
Nov 2, 2002
I simply don't trust Kia. To me anyone who wants to take over Iran's U23 (a big deal) should at least have some club managerial experience. Coaching a football team is not exactly the same as running a junior academy. Moreover conflict of interest concerns me. Kia has shown before how he handles conflict of interest.

homaie

Elite Member
Mar 1, 2003
NY/NJ in USA
I simply don't trust Kia. To me anyone who wants to take over Iran's U23 (a big deal) should at least have some club managerial experience. Coaching a football team is not exactly the same as running a junior academy. Moreover conflict of interest concerns me. Kia has shown before how he handles conflict of interest.
I agree, he never coached a senior club team on a competitive league. He is getting experience during these games.