Afshin Ghotbi Dedicated Thread!

houmanbahal

Elite Member
Mar 27, 2005
Really Houman? They would have killed Ghotbi (an american citizen) or put him in jail if he didn't go? Wasn't Daei also invited?
Looks like you guys don't get what I keep saying. We were not there and we don't know the situation that he was involve.
Of course he will not come out and say that they force him to go their as long as he is a TM coach. I hope one day when he is not a TM coach ( which will be week or so from now) and he is out of Iran, he will give out the real reason why he attended AN ceremony.

raminio05

National Team Player
Looks like you guys don't get what I keep saying. We were not there and we don't know the situation that he was involve.
Of course he will not come out and say that they force him to go their as long as he is a TM coach. I hope one day when he is not a TM coach ( which will be week or so from now) and he is out of Iran, he will give out the real reason why he attended AN ceremony.
And all i'm saying is that i have a lot more respect for the likes of Shajarian (who has a lot more to lose and who is in greater danger) than Mr. Afshin Ghotbi.

Jun 18, 2005
Khodayish ma chand bar to hamin forum post kardim ke Iran hamisheh be gheyr az yek bar be quarterfinals advance kardeh?

Hala chera in nokteh ro bazia nemikhooonan ya nemikhan motevajeh beshan dige nemidoonam.

Baba baradare man, postere gerami, doosteh man, ma ba Mamali Kolang va Branko ham to Asia sevom shodim. Hala ke raftim beyne 8 teame behtare Asia shoma fekr mikoni bayad to kooonemon aroosi basheh?

Na salamati we are ranked 4th by FIFA. That has to mean something.

Yek rooz yeki ro khoda mikonid farda migid cheghadr bi orzeh hast. Mellate javgir ke migan hamineh.

raminio05

National Team Player
I respectfully disagree..

If you are one of those who hate him for having attended An's inauguration then you shouldn't be waiting for him to beat South Korea or Brazil... you hate him anyways..

I'm not waiting for him. I'm waiting for the other twenty+ people who make up the team to win it.

And please provide a source for when he said that he was forced to go.

houmanbahal

Elite Member
Mar 27, 2005
Khodayish ma chand bar to hamin forum post kardim ke Iran hamisheh be gheyr az yek bar be quarterfinals advance kardeh?

Hala chera in nokteh ro bazia nemikhooonan ya nemikhan motevajeh beshan dige nemidoonam.

Baba baradare man, postere gerami, doosteh man, ma ba Mamali Kolang va Branko ham to Asia sevom shodim. Hala ke raftim beyne 8 teame behtare Asia shoma fekr mikoni bayad to kooonemon aroosi basheh?

Na salamati we are ranked 4th by FIFA. That has to mean something.

Yek rooz yeki ro khoda mikonid farda migid cheghadr bi orzeh hast. Mellate javgir ke migan hamineh.
azize jan, no one is jumping up and down b/c we advance to quarter finals. we all know we have done that many times and failed.
Yek seri inja hamash migoftna in agha hich halish nist, yek computer analyst hast va ham az gorohe khodemon ham be zor miaim bala.
In thread male onast ke felan roshon kam shodeh ke iran ba eghtedar ba 9 point raft bala. Hanoz na jami gereftim na kare khasi kardim.
Emroz didiim ke in team hata ba 8 ta taghir nestbat be teame asli hanoz ham mitone UAE ro 3-0 bezaneh. hamon kari ke Daei natonest anjam bede.
:Iran1:

Jun 18, 2005
azize jan, no one is jumping up and down b/c we advance to quarter finals. we all know we have done that many times and failed.
Yek seri inja hamash migoftna in agha hich halish nist, yek computer analyst hast va ham az gorohe khodemon ham be zor miaim bala.
In thread male onast ke felan roshon kam shodeh ke iran ba eghtedar ba 9 point raft bala. Hanoz na jami gereftim na kare khasi kardim.
Emroz didiim ke in team hata ba 8 ta taghir nestbat be teame asli hanoz ham mitone UAE ro 3-0 bezaneh. hamon kari ke Daei natonest anjam bede.
:Iran1:
Pas Mamali Kolang va Branko kheyli halishon bood dige?

Come on...Motevajeh mishi ke ma ta hala faghat yek bar to Jame Mellat Ha az group bala nayoomadim? We have had so many coaches. I guess they all knew what they were doing. loool

Remind you again that we are definitely a better team than top 8. Har vaght on Cup ro bordim shoma bia bego didi goftam?

We have been here before. Even with Ghale Noi 4 years ago.

houmanbahal

Elite Member
Mar 27, 2005

Come on...Motevajeh mishi ke ma ta hala faghat yek bar to Jame Mellat Ha az group bala nayoomadim? We have had so many coaches. I guess they all knew what they were doing. loool

Remind you again that we are definitely a better team than top 8. Har vaght on Cup ro bordim shoma bia bego didi goftam?

We have been here before. Even with Ghale Noi 4 years ago.
hatman. :Iran1:

BehzadB

Bench Warmer
Feb 18, 2006
Shooshtar
well this would turn into a political discussion which doesnt belong in this thread. but I disagree with ur last statement of Ghotbi not having any choice. Apart from that, there were numerous times he blindly defended IFF(despite all the shortcomings we had in the last year).

Yes that would be a political discussion, so maybe we get back to that on some other thread..

Ive never considered him a video-analyzer. I was actually one of his big fans after his first season as Pers coach. He is still one of the best Iranian coaches we could have in charge of TM.
I know you are not one of those people, as I pointed out in my last post.

but actually overstating our achievement so far(which was qualification from Group stage as first team) before watching our QF performance-result, is unfair too.
I think if there are any over statements (not saying that there are), they are due to the fact that the expectations had been very very low.. Now out of a sudden our TM beats the defending champ (and don't count them out yet) and a WC participant and then beats a UAE team we couldn't beat year and half ago with 9 reserve players and there is some over excitement by our usually emotional fans.. I know you can give them some slack, no?

If we go by facts, Ghalenoie too managed to take TM to Quarter Final!
so now that we reached QF again, it shouldnt be called a miracle technically, should it? although the way Iran made come-backs in each game is a huge difference than TM's performance under GHN.
No it shouldn't be called a miracle and I doubt anyone has called it that..

but You see the things is that Ghotbi wasn't supposed to be a coach to begin with, according to some people.. for two years many fans came on these boards and called this guy all sorts of disrespectful things and questioned his football knowledge, his coaching certificate, his wife and his girlfriend, Mafia, this that... you know.. I am sure you have seen most of them.. Now they are saying let's see where he takes us first... they forget that according to them up until a few days ago, we should be out by now..

Thats the problem with IFF..and I dont blame Ghotbi or any TM coach really. stupid IFF doesnt put TARGET for coach's achievement. Even if TM wins AC final, if they want, they fire TM coach. but if TM stumbles in group stage, if they like the coach, they keep him.
IFF is incompetent.. no doubt about that! but we have to remember that we are talking about Iran here.. We can set targets for the coach, when we have everything else in place, not when we are where we are.. Setting targets in this case becomes irrelevant..

As I have said before, suppose through some miracle(s), we ended up winning this cup. let's assume that for a second.. Didn't Iraq win it last time? What happened there? On the other hand, How many times has Korea won this thing? Ever?

We sometimes just ask too much of the coach (make that always) and our players and IFF and .... be-zaat-e maa hamineh ke hast..

Last edited:

BehzadB

Bench Warmer
Feb 18, 2006
Shooshtar

why? why does he have to wait until they win the cup to come here and say " didi goftam"? This "didi goftam" has nothing to do with winning the cup..

"some" ghotbi bashers have been saying that this "charlatan is not even a coach.. at least by now everyone should know that YES he is and the bashers were wrong.. No matter what happens the rest of the way..

I don't know any ghotbi supporters coming here and saying ghotbi is the best coach in the world or even that he is a great coach..

Branko was and is a very good coach and he had a few of our greatest players of all time on his team and still couldn't win the Cup.. does that mean that he was a bad coach? I don't think so.

Niloufar

Football Legend
Oct 19, 2002
why? why does he have to wait until they win the cup to come here and say " didi goftam"? This "didi goftam" has nothing to do with winning the cup..

"some" ghotbi bashers have been saying that this "charlatan is not even a coach.. at least by now everyone should know that YES he is and the bashers were wrong.. No matter what happens the rest of the way..

I don't know any ghotbi supporters coming here and saying ghotbi is the best coach in the world or even that he is a great coach..

Branko was and is a very good coach and he had a few of our greatest players of all time on his team and still couldn't win the Cup.. does that mean that he was a bad coach? I don't think so.
well winning Cup expectation was raised when somehow against all odds, Ghotbi vowed to win Asian Cup title with Iran prior to Tournament. I think that was one of his biggest publicity mistakes. All realists made fun of his promise, considering current circumstances. but at the same time, it gave an excuse to his all-time bashers that "So if Ghotbi aims to win AC 2011, then if he doesnt, he is a liar and a failure".

btw an interesting graph of Iran team's distance ran during the game against Iraq, compared to some teams' in WC 2010 recently. very impressive!:) Graph by Pejman Nozad.

Attachments

BehzadB

Bench Warmer
Feb 18, 2006
Shooshtar
well winning Cup expectation was raised when somehow against all odds, Ghotbi vowed to win Asian Cup title with Iran prior to Tournament. I think that was one of his biggest publicity mistakes. All realists made fun of his promise, considering current circumstances. but at the same time, it gave an excuse to his all-time bashers that "So if Ghotbi aims to win AC 2011, then if he doesnt, he is a liar and a failure".
And you buy into that logic? that if he fails to win the cup then he is a liar?

If yes, then I guess we disagree on more than I thought and I would leave it at that..

As far as "vowing to win the cup" goes, I think THAT IS what ghotbi brings to the table that no other Iranian coach ever has, or is capable of or has the guts to do... He came out and out right promised a championship with Perspolis.. For AC games, he told people he is preparing and aiming for championship.. Should he have said something like" be oomideh khoda va do-aye mardom mirim bebinim chi misheh"?

Remember in the other thread you said IFF is incompetent because they don't set Targets for coaches? Well, ghotbi set the target. That should be a good thing, no?

Niloufar

Football Legend
Oct 19, 2002
I think if there are any over statements (not saying that there are), they are due to the fact that the expectations had been very very low.. Now out of a sudden our TM beats the defending champ (and don't count them out yet) and a WC participant and then beats a UAE team we couldn't beat year and half ago with 9 reserve players and there is some over excitement by our usually emotional fans.. I know you can give them some slack, no?
oh yeah of course our fans deserve to get some slack too!:)
I personally wouldnt think Iran could beat Iraq, or beat North Korea(although it was N.Korea's poor game than anything else!). so overall, and so far Iran has performed and got results much better than expected by many fans. and gosh, dont we need all this excitement after yrs?!:)

No it shouldn't be called a miracle and I doubt anyone has called it that..

but You see the things is that Ghotbi wasn't supposed to be a coach to begin with, according to some people.. for two years many fans came on these boards and called this guy all sorts of disrespectful things and questioned his football knowledge, his coaching certificate, his wife and his girlfriend, Mafia, this that... you know.. I am sure you have seen most of them.. Now they are saying let's see where he takes us first... they forget that according to them up until a few days ago, we should be out by now..
Very well put Behzad jan. cant agree more. If we all would be fair and not form personal agenda against a coach's personality, we'd be in better shape now. Everyone has a right to dislike him for what he did last yr during Inauguration. but actually discrediting his coaching capabilities is another issue.
we should bring back up some old threads maybe!lol

IFF is incompetent.. no doubt about that! but we have to remember that we are talking about Iran here.. We can set targets for the coach, when we have everything else in place, not when we are where we are.. Setting targets in this case becomes irrelevant..
I dont think so.. I think even in our current dismayed state of football, if a coach is given 1-1.5 yrs time, he should be given target to aim for. A realistic target. ie, dont think they made it clear for Daei that the aim is for Iran to advance to WC 2010, and that they'll be patient with that. Possibly we could have advanced under Daei in WCQ for instance! we dont know! and then when they brought Ghotbi on board, not only they didnt set target for WC 2010 but also nothing for Asian Cup 2011.

so unless a coach is self-motivated, he can do anything he wants and not take responsibility for the outcome. bc there was no expectation set for him by IFF.

As I have said before, suppose through some miracle(s), we ended up winning this cup. let's assume that for a second.. Didn't Iraq win it last time? What happened there? On the other hand, How many times has Korea won this thing? Ever?

We sometimes just ask too much of the coach (make that always) and our players and IFF and .... be-zaat-e maa hamineh ke hast..
well I dont make hypothetical assumptions in life, so dont think that ever happens!lol ;)

but just like some Iranians fans are being overly emotional and unrealistic to expect Iran to win AC title now, it was also mainly Ghotbi's fault too for raising expectations before AC 2011 with his promise of winning Asian Cup!

We all know success doesnt happen overnight. and if it does happen(ie, Iraq's case in 2007), its either bc of coaching factor, And that top teams have underperformed And/or their opponents took them lightly during the Tournament.

Aug 26, 2005
In terms of predicting how an Iranian fan will act, it must be an easy job. One win, "see, I told you we were the best ever"; one loss: "see, I told you we suck".

I do not understand this thread at all. We won for once where we played nice and the thread starter acts as if this is what we have been doing on a regular basis and that the detractors have been blind.

As Sina has pointed out; getting to the quarters is easy...it's been done before. Heck, Branko and Kohan got to the semis even. We should be aiming for #1. If we don't get to the final at least; Ghotbi's done little different than his predecessors.

Niloufar

Football Legend
Oct 19, 2002
And you buy into that logic? that if he fails to win the cup then he is a liar?

If yes, then I guess we disagree on more than I thought and I would leave it at that..

As far as "vowing to win the cup" goes, I think THAT IS what ghotbi brings to the table that no other Iranian coach ever has, or is capable of or has the guts to do... He came out and out right promised a championship with Perspolis.. For AC games, he told people he is preparing and aiming for championship.. Should he have said something like" be oomideh khoda va do-aye mardom mirim bebinim chi misheh"?

Remember in the other thread you said IFF is incompetent because they don't set Targets for coaches? Well, ghotbi set the target. That should be a good thing, no?
no, dont get me wrong! Im not buying into that logic. thats why I said "his all-time bashers"(his typical bashers who hated him from beginning)..so he made a mistake for making that promise bc he gave even greater excuse for his bashers to expect highly of him and condemn him.

Well for Perspolis, at the end he said he promised IPL championship to raise team spirit. but it was a risk, wasnt it?! what if Perspolis couldnt win in 98th min against Sepahan?then it'd be all doom and gloom.

He put a target for himself, but a very high and unrealistic target. How many times s.Korea, Japan, Australia have advanced to WC in the past 5-10 yrs?how did they fare at WC games? how are their domestic leagues compare to crappy IPL? what about their youth academies? Arent they way more consistent in top level than Iran? Yes they are, right? bc they've had great planning in place at all times.

So raising bar, for no reason, knowing that Iran doesnt have a chance against these Top teams to win Asian Cup 2011, is a publicity mistake I think. Reaching semifinal(at most) could be a good target, not the Final. but of course if we do win the title somehow, is a miracle and our coach's genius.

Aug 26, 2005
You just said "fuk" the people who think he can coach (you just used a double negative). That means you, unless you're doubting him now?