Euro Cup 2020 but really 2021 MEGA thread

takbetak

Elite Member
Apr 27, 2006
Great 2nd half by Italy. Mancini's early subs worked well for Italy and their midfield was dominating. What a good game Chiesa had causing all sorts of problems for England defence.

I think referee did a good job with allowing the flow of the game.

All in all it was an enjoyable tourney.

takbetak

Elite Member
Apr 27, 2006
which games (group stage/knockout stage) do you think were the better ones in terms of quality and entertainment?

I liked Spain vs Italy (semi final) , Italy vs Belgium (quarter final) and Spain vs Switzerland (quarter final) the most.

Germany vs Portugal (group stage) , Sweden vs Poland (group stage) , Hungary vs Germany (group stage) , France vs Switzerland (round of 16) and Spain vs Croatia (round of 16) were very entertaining.

Last edited:

oghabealborz

Elite Member
Feb 18, 2005
Strawberry field
I did say if it gets to penalties England will be in trouble because of him.
To be fair Jordan Pickford also did well saving two penalties but with this agile giant of a goalie so cool and composed you always have the edge !
😎
Well deserved personal trophy for him.
German and Italian keepers becoming like a constant quality craftsmanship of porshe and Ferrari.

Behrooz_C

Elite Member
Dec 10, 2005
A small island west of Africa
To be honest, England didn't deserve better after that second half shitshow. They sat back and allowed Italy dictate the game. This is exactly what happened against Croatia in the world cup. Southgate didn't make changes when it was obvious that some attacking flair is needed. Once they equalised he made changes. Too late.
The choice of penalty takers was wrong too with cold players coming on last minute to take vital ones.

Anyway, Italy were the best team in the tournament and won it fairly.

takbetak

Elite Member
Apr 27, 2006
To be honest, England didn't deserve better after that second half shitshow. They sat back and allowed Italy dictate the game. This is exactly what happened against Croatia in the world cup. Southgate didn't make changes when it was obvious that some attacking flair is needed. Once they equalised he made changes. Too late.
The choice of penalty takers was wrong too with cold players coming on last minute to take vital ones.

Anyway, Italy were the best team in the tournament and won it fairly.
IMO , England lacks a balanced midfield. It lacks a midfielder who can control the tempo and lacks a midfielder with good range of passing and lacks a creative midfielder who can provide service to strikers.

As a result England lost the midfield battle to Itlay's Jorginho , Verratti , Barella (and later on Christante and Locatelli).

Same thing happened in last world cup's semi final match against Croatia. Croatia's superior midfield in Modric , Kovacic and Brozovic took over at some point and dominated the game.

Behrooz_C

Elite Member
Dec 10, 2005
A small island west of Africa
IMO , England lacks a balanced midfield. It lacks a midfielder who can control the tempo and lacks a midfielder with good range of passing and lacks a creative midfielder who can provide service to strikers.

As a result England lost the midfield battle to Itlay's Jorginho , Verratti , Barella (and later on Christante and Locatelli).

Same thing happened in last world cup's semi final match against Croatia. Croatia's superior midfield in Modric , Kovacic and Brozovic took over at some point and dominated the game.
The most productive England player was sitting on the bench, Jack Grealish.

For some reason Southgate doesn't trust him. In fact he has sapped all confidence out of Grealish by repeatedly subbing him out. The other would have been James Maddison, but he wasn't even selected for the squad.

takbetak

Elite Member
Apr 27, 2006
The most productive England player was sitting on the bench, Jack Grealish.

For some reason Southgate doesn't trust him. In fact he has sapped all confidence out of Grealish by repeatedly subbing him out. The other would have been James Maddison, but he wasn't even selected for the squad.
Perhaps Southgate is not sure where to play Grealish , as 10 or on the wing.

Madison and a Bellingham with more experience could improve the midfield.

But IMO Southgate's cautious idea of playing 2 holding midfielders is preventing the team to have that proper midfield balance.

IEI

Administrator
Staff member
Nov 10, 2002
I hear this thing again and again that Southgate choice of players.
If England didn't play conservative football, they wouldn't even reach to final. If they started play open game, they would have lost 3-0. I mean Italy would have loved to see an open game.

Last edited:

IEI

Administrator
Staff member
Nov 10, 2002
I have followed Mancini for years and he was Inter coach for many years. He made amazing Inter team in 2006-08 but Morinho got all the credit. He is just a great coach and a little underrated. He transformed there mentality of the team. I mean it felt like England was Italy yesterday in traditional way. score early, defend 90 minutes. Usually doesn't end up well.