Googoosh Music Academy

Mar 13, 2007
It's Anoushirvan Rohani not Borhani and no he's a lot more than Liberacci or Dean Martin in terms of Musical talent/education. The guy is Iranian music's equivalent of Beethoven or Mozart (with much less fame). Their entire family are prolific musicians. Among all the classic musicians of Iran, Rohani is the only one who entered the 'pop/jazz' genre and that's the reason some people rate him lower than other musicians like Javad Ma'roofi or Babak Entezami. The truth is, what this man did was quite unique and revolutionary.

As for the singers you named, Faramarz Aslani and Farhad were both beyond the IQ levels of the ordinary Iranian artist. Their works are not for everybody, but there's no doubt that the level of intellect present in their work is not even comparable to the more mainstream/popular artists. I personally hate most of Aslani's works (except a few), but man the guy has a beautiful mind.

Good Iranian song writers are abundant because Farsi is the most powerful lyrical language in history, but some of the more famous ones are:

Iraj Jannati Ata'ei, Ardalan Sarfaraz, Homayoon Hoshyarnezhad, Shahyar Ghanbari, Leila Kasra (Hedieh)

And these names are among the most successful pop music writers (not singers):

Farid Zoland, Varoojan, Shamaeizadeh (also sings), Siavash Ghomeishi (also sings), Ahmad Pejman

If you're looking for artists who compose their own lyrics and music, you'll only compile a very short list.

The best one in my opinion is Mohsen Namjoo. The guy is quite a genius.
thats good info buddy, i'll look them up. You are right i just watched a couple of rohani's concerts and he is quite something. Some of metaphoric songs and ballads of these writers are also quite extraordinary, I can't quite find a equivalent in the same style in the west.

but again the weird thing is how many amazing singer/song writer/producer/musicians there are in US/Eng/Can and the same package can not be found in iranian scene. Actually nowhere else can you find the same level of great musicians.

in the classic rock scene alone i could name on top of my head zillion all around geniuses like : Pete townsend, jackson brown, roger waters, neil young, steely dan, john fogerty, bob dylan, dave bowe, van morrison, springsteen, billy joel, george harrison, john lennon, fredy,….
and then in the alternative rock scene you probably have even more profound musicians like dave growl, eddie veder, perry pharrel, scott whalen, billy corgan, james hetfield,…

we don't have anything like these i guess, but at least now i know we do have some great musicians.

Oct 16, 2002
DarvAze DoolAb
www.iransportspress.com
thats good info buddy, i'll look them up. You are right i just watched a couple of rohani's concerts and he is quite something. Some of metaphoric songs and ballads of these writers are also quite extraordinary, I can't quite find a equivalent in the same style in the west.

but again the weird thing is how many amazing singer/song writer/producer/musicians there are in US/Eng/Can and the same package can not be found in iranian scene. Actually nowhere else can you find the same level of great musicians.

in the classic rock scene alone i could name on top of my head zillion all around geniuses like : Pete townsend, jackson brown, roger waters, neil young, steely dan, john fogerty, bob dylan, dave bowe, van morrison, springsteen, billy joel, george harrison, john lennon, fredy,….
and then in the alternative rock scene you probably have even more profound musicians like dave growl, eddie veder, perry pharrel, scott whalen, billy corgan, james hetfield,…

we don't have anything like these i guess, but at least now i know we do have some great musicians.
The biggest reason is Islam. I'm not one to blame Islam for everything, but when it comes to music and cinema, religion and superstition (read Islam) destroyed so many talents it's not even funny.

Even to this day, people in Iran frown upon a young boy who wants to become a professional musician or actor. Girls are even more Badbakht because they're not even considered humans by many families. These are all glorious gifts of lovely Shi'a Islam.

Another reason for lack of good artists is the huge disconnect between Iran's traditional art and modern art. Iranians are highly judgmental people and it just doesn't fit in their brain that someone who likes a certain type of music, is totally allowed to dislike another kind. To them everything must be "one-for-all" or "All-for-one". No in-between. Black and white thinking which also has roots in religion.

Oct 1, 2004
The biggest reason is Islam. I'm not one to blame Islam for everything, but when it comes to music and cinema, religion and superstition (read Islam) destroyed so many talents it's not even funny.

Even to this day, people in Iran frown upon a young boy who wants to become a professional musician or actor. Girls are even more Badbakht because they're not even considered humans by many families. These are all glorious gifts of lovely Shi'a Islam.

Another reason for lack of good artists is the huge disconnect between Iran's traditional art and modern art. Iranians are highly judgmental people and it just doesn't fit in their brain that someone who likes a certain type of music, is totally allowed to dislike another kind. To them everything must be "one-for-all" or "All-for-one". No in-between. Black and white thinking which also has roots in religion.
I think its more of an attitude towards art in general in Iran.
There are perfectly secular families in Iran who have backwards views when it comes to music.
Music education is also important.
I actually think its amazing Iranian music has survived. Look at countries like China or South Korea, they basically don't have real music anymore - its mostly bad mall pop music.