Gotta love Canada!

ChaharMahal

Elite Member
Oct 18, 2002
Fasto, would you mind telling us more about your job.

for a recent immigrant from Iran that is physically able but poor in English Skills how much hope is there to get a job.

I mean North Dakato of The U.S but I can imagine similar job responsibilities are needed.

how much English do you need to know to perform the jobs.

That is assuming they pay better than working Mcdonolad fliping burgers.

Oct 1, 2004
Fasto, would you mind telling us more about your job.

for a recent immigrant from Iran that is physically able but poor in English Skills how much hope is there to get a job.

I mean North Dakato of The U.S but I can imagine similar job responsibilities are needed.

how much English do you need to know to perform the jobs.

That is assuming they pay better than working Mcdonolad fliping burgers.
I'm an civil engineer dealing with infrastructure.

In terms of manual labor you don't need much English. As long as you're legal and can put the hours in you'll be fine.

However some notes

1- There are a lot of rough folks on site. Ex-cons, people with addictions,... if one is sensitive they will not have a good time.
2- Related to number one, but there are quite a few racists as well, especially among the backwater guys
3- They are really starting to hate foreign guys now because they think we're all part of the temporary worker program which is starting to take off in Canada. For example many Croatians are coming here. They work for half the price the Canadian boys do and they're just as good.
4- If you have family, kids... this is not the place to work. You will have no time for them, come home every 2 weeks or so tired and exhausted and then you must go back to site as soon as you're a bit fresh.

Basically if you're young, physically healthy, have thick skin and are not prone to getting homesick, its worth it for a few years.

Flint

Legionnaire
Jan 28, 2006
United States
Unless they're rich kids living in their parents' place and getting allowances, I honestly don't know anyone who can afford to eat, drive, have a smartphone and cash to spend without working these days.
You are obviously not up to date on the extent of government handouts today. Between outright cash, "refundable" tax credit(i.e. getting a tax refund when you didn't even pay taxes), housing vouchers, home heating assistance, medicaid and yes, free cellphones you can make a decent living. Why do you think we have 15 million who claim hey can't find jobs but a million every year who cross over the southern border to come the same country to find a job. Are they stupid?

ChaharMahal

Elite Member
Oct 18, 2002
You are obviously not up to date on the extent of government handouts today. Between outright cash, "refundable" tax credit(i.e. getting a tax refund when you didn't even pay taxes), housing vouchers, home heating assistance, medicaid and yes, free cellphones you can make a decent living. Why do you think we have 15 million who claim hey can't find jobs but a million every year who cross over the southern border to come the same country to find a job. Are they stupid?
I don't agree with everything you said.

but I have to agree with the fact that it is pretty pathetic that Americans by in large are not willing to do difficult labor.

if you stopped illegal immigration from mexico one of two things needs to happen.

price of everything will significantly go up because Americans would be unwilling to do back breaking work for below minimum wage.

Corporations will relocate crop production to cheaper countries. which is very difficult because this takes long term investments and good land and water resources.

but the same is true in Iran. Iranian by in large are not willing to do back-breaking jobs and But Afghans are willing and quite good at it.

Flint

Legionnaire
Jan 28, 2006
United States
if you stopped illegal immigration from mexico one of two things needs to happen.

price of everything will significantly go up because Americans would be unwilling to do back breaking work for below minimum wage.
You know why they are not willing? Because they don't have to. That's the only explanation. If there are farm jobs in California paying $12 an hour (An Iowa State University study found wages earned by farm workers at $12.90/hour so this myth that illegals are getting paid salve wages is bunk). If you still are willing to stay unemployed in Atlanta then it can only mean you are happy where you are. The welfare state has created its own "minimum wage". The collective benefits, especially if you throw in medicaid, far outpaces the minimum wage. Why work?

You know why they are not willing? Because they don't have to. That's the only explanation. If there are farm jobs in California paying $12 an hour (An Iowa State University study found wages earned by farm workers at $12.90/hour so this myth that illegals are getting paid salve wages is bunk). If you still are willing to stay unemployed in Atlanta then it can only mean you are happy where you are. The welfare state has created its own "minimum wage". The collective benefits, especially if you throw in medicaid, far outpaces the minimum wage. Why work?
That is true and it all stems from one thing all over the world: Urbanization

The myth that Americans or Canadians or Iranians are unwilling to do hard labor is just that, a myth.

It's also a myth that Afghans are willing to do hard work more than Iranians. That's not true at all. Willingness to do hard labor always stems from "need". A human desperate for money or goods will do anything regardless of their nationality.

Traditionally, hard labor has been done by younger boys who are at the beginning of their adult life. Even during the first 100 years of modern urbanization the youth were a big pool of cheap labor. Cheap labor by youth is what made giants out of corps like McDonalds and Burger King.

Unfortunately, the urban population managed to over-protect their kids and over-blew their confidence into oblivion. They've been less and less willing to do hard work for small money because they've been promised the world by their parents as long as "they stay in school". The real world rarely gives a shit about degrees and education. When I want to hire someone in IT, I put more value in their 2 summers of work at a horse stable than their meaningless university degree. No university ever taught people how to "work".

Don't get me wrong. I love the academic life myself. I enjoy learning and experimenting. If I could afford it, I would stay in school forever, but that's the key: IF I could afford it. What that means is at the end of the day education is a losing venture in terms of money.

The youth of today don't understand how money works. They don't learn where money comes from and where it goes. They don't take on ventures that involve moving to another state or province in order to "find their place in life" because they've been told that "they're special". Every kid thinks he/she is special! The money world doesn't think so.

So in the long run welfare and handout programs get introduced to continue this pathetic urban lifestyle that lacks in production, but is lavish in consumption. Fragile irrelevant service jobs are introduced to create an illusion of productivity while real money is always always always generated from extracting commodities and manufacturing. There are still lost souls on this planet that think real monetary value can be extracted from service jobs. Without products and commodities, the net wealth gain of any community will remain a big fat zero.

Now lets add more government programs to tackle "youth unemployment"!

ChaharMahal

Elite Member
Oct 18, 2002
Yes there are many places in the U.S that you can make more than the Federal Minimum Wage doing Farm Work.

But that's not every where and certainly not the majority of places and that's why to this day Farm Workers are excluded from Federal Minimum Wage.

Secondly a serious issue with Farm work is that it is rather seasonal.

But Young people like all others make rational decisions (in the long term). Where I live a good looking Waitress can make 2000-3000 per month when the economy is doing well.
a BarTender can make up to $4000 a month. It makes no sense for them to do rather difficult jobs that are located in very select parts of the country.

and if you believe the fact that knowledge economy is where people make a middle class life in the future. it makes sense for these young folks to stick around the cities and complete their mediocre college education.

it makes sense for these young folks to stick around the cities and complete their mediocre college education.
It doesn't.

It makes no economical sense if income, productivity and long-term wealth-growth is the virtue. It may make emotional sense and it might even serve them well in the long run (live in parents' basement, make little money and wait till they die so you get a windfall), but it does nothing in terms of earning income.

What many of the recent graduates these days are complaining about is the lack of $80-90K/year service jobs around the corner from their parents' place. Those jobs will get fewer and fewer in the coming decades as more people are condensed into city blocks and production-lines either move to poorer areas of the world or get automated.

Flint

Legionnaire
Jan 28, 2006
United States
But that's not every where and certainly not the majority of places and that's why to this day Farm Workers are excluded from Federal Minimum Wage.
You really shouldn't come out here and make stuff up. From the Department of Labor web site. I wouldn't be surprised if they made more than minimum wage.

------------------------
Farm Workers
Wages
Farm workers must be paid the wages promised, but never less than the federal minimum wage.

Farm workers must be provided a written statement of earnings and all deductions from pay.

Farm workers must be provided written information about their wages and working conditions in a language they can understand.
Safety and Health
Any housing or transportation provided by the employer must be safe.

Farm workers must be provided safe drinking water, toilets, and handwashing facilities at the job–and at no cost.

Farm workers must be provided a safe workplace.

ChaharMahal

Elite Member
Oct 18, 2002
Flint your issue is you look at everything superficially.

For your information Small Farms are excluded from FLSA.
further more many farming operations because of structuring qualify as small farms even though they are being operated as part of a huge multi-million dollar corporation.

That is precisely why big Agro receives the lion share of Farm Subsidies passed by congress each year as part of Farm Bill even though in name they targeted toward small farms.

thirdly most farm workers do not get paid by hour.
for instance They get based on pound or number of items they picked.

as an example in Maine Folks can make upward of $100/picking apples but that is simply dependent up on what tree you received. how high or low the fruits were.
Was the Tree Trimmed properly. or you could end up making very little that day because various technical issues.

planters do not normally get paid hourly but on how trees they grafted or .....

http://nfwm.org/education-center/farm-worker-issues/low-wages/

ChaharMahal

Elite Member
Oct 18, 2002
BT, this might be too personal.

but how much are you guys paying for rent right now. let's say for a two bedroom or perhaps

per square meter

and how good or bad of neighborhood is it in terms of crime.

how good or bad is it in terms of access to jobs, amenities, ....

Jun 9, 2004
Canada
Cheapest detached house in North York in the area perimeter-ed by Bathurst-Finch-Bayview and Sheppard. as of 2 minutes ago: $980,000!!!! That's for a shitty old 2 bedroom with weed growing out of its windows :) I won't post the link as I think it belongs to someone I know.
That's pretty much being sold for land value bro. TBH, I don't think single family homes in general are overvalued in Toronto at all - unlike condos. Certain areas like Sheppard and Yonge may be 10-20% overvalued because of the Chinese driving up prices, but overall Toronto is still highly undervalued compared to cities like London and New York. Like the article said, land is a scarce commodity and there's only so much housing you can have in the city, so prices will always go up, as long as interest rates don't increase significantly.

BT, this might be too personal.

but how much are you guys paying for rent right now. let's say for a two bedroom or perhaps

per square meter

and how good or bad of neighborhood is it in terms of crime.

how good or bad is it in terms of access to jobs, amenities, ....
I'm a landlord myself and charge $15-17/square meter in one of the more expensive areas of Toronto. Crime and amenities, it's as good as it gets in Toronto. Right on the subway line. In general Toronto has a very low crime rate compared to most US cities. Very low.

Access to jobs = shit probably. There are very few decent jobs in Toronto these days. Minimum wage jobs are everywhere.

That's pretty much being sold for land value. TBH, I don't think single family homes in general are overvalued in Toronto at all. Certain areas like Sheppard and Yonge may be 10-20% overvalued because of the Chinese driving up prices, but overall Toronto is still highly undervalued compared to cities like London or New York.
I edited my post because I found another one for $800K which is in a crappier area near bathurst.

Here:

http://beta.realtor.ca/propertyDetails.aspx?PropertyId=14025006

ChaharMahal

Elite Member
Oct 18, 2002
I'm a landlord myself and charge $15-17/square meter in one of the more expensive areas of Toronto. Crime and amenities, it's as good as it gets in Toronto. Right on the subway line. In general Toronto has a very low crime rate compared to most US cities. Very low.

Access to jobs = shit probably. There are very few decent jobs in Toronto these days. Minimum wage jobs are everywhere.
so for a million dollar condo that is say huge 150 Squared Meter.

you would roughly gross $2,250. That is such a $hitty return.

ChaharMahal

Elite Member
Oct 18, 2002
Here in Texas Big Cities and Relative Good neighborhoods for a $250,000 house you would get something between 1400-1800 per month

And that would be for something like 150 metered squared house.

Here in Texas Big Cities and Relative Good neighborhoods for a $250,000 house you would get something between 1400-1800 per month

And that would be for something like 150 metered squared house.
The return on condominiums (owned apartments) is shit indeed. You barely make the mortgage+maintenance cost (if you're lucky).

The house/townhouse rental market is different. A small 2-3 bedroom semi-detached or detached house can be rented for $3500-4000/month, but the demand is quite low with all these huge towers rising from every corner.

The best return I had was $7000/month on a 8 bedroom house (3000sqf=280sqm), but it was fire-coded(huge cost) and rented as individual student rooms.